3 asians and... a French-canadian girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toronto Warstory​

Hey guys! I'm Rosalie, also known as Roz. I don't think many of you guys know me though. I had such a blast at Regionals this weekend, I just thought I'd take a break from studying and write a warstory about it. If there are any mistakes in my post, please excuse me, my mothertongue isn't English D:

Friday, April 13th

It's 7 am. My alarm clock rings, reminding me that I have to get up early. We're leaving for Toronto today! I pack my stuff, and make sure I don't forget to bring anything. I meet with my friend and my boyfriend at 8 am. We're ready to leave. We're traveling from Quebec City to Toronto, so it's going to take us approximately 9 hours to get there... we put our stuff in the car and we're ready to go!

Most important stuff right there.

Aaaaand we're finally ready to leave.

The ride was pretty much uneventful. We were kinda bored, so we started counting the dead animals we were seeing on the side of the road. We crossed the border between the two provinces somewhere around noon, and we got lunch at 12:30 pm. We finally arrived in Toronto at 5 pm. T'was a hell of a long ride, and we were tired, but we finally got there! Dead animals count : 21. We didn't really know what to do, and the Eaton's Centre was kinda close to our hotel we decided to go there. That place. It's so huge! I'd never seen a shopping mall that huge before.

Sooooooo huge! (In b4 that's what she said)

We were kinda hungry, so we decided to pick a place to eat. There was a sandwich thing where the food looked delicious, but MaRcEsCeNt (a.k.a my boyfriend) is already ordering food at Sbarro's, so my friend and I decide to eat there too. It cost me 15$ for Spaghetti with meatballs, and it was disgusting. My friend and boyfriend didn't like their food either D: We just leave the place even if we're still hungry. We chilled there for a little while, but it was kinda boring so we just head back to our hotel. We only stayed at the shopping mall for 2 hours and ~5 minutes, and the parking ticket cost us 15$ Wtf. We head back to the hotel and go to bed... and then MaRcEsCeNt is sick, guess the pizza really wasn't that good. D:

Saturday, April 14th

We get up early, and my boyfriend feels better. We ate breakfast at a place called Le Gourmand (omg t'was delicious) and then we head to the Chinatown. On our way there we saw a man who was in a wheelchair 'cause he had no legs. I think he was a homeless person. He was really weird and he tried to talk to us, but we just left. We stayed in the Chinatown for a while, eating pastries and other delicious things.

Deliciousness

Dafuq did I just read

We didn't really know what we could do in Toronto, but my friends want to visit the CN Tower so we headed there. I didn't really want to go 'cause I'm afraid of heights, but I just go anyway. It was really cool even though I was kinda scared, I took a bunch of pictures too.

T'was cloudy that day, which is kind of a shame, but it could've been worse.

Never thought a train could look that small

Not gonna put all of the pictures I took, I have way too many.

We head back to the hotel because we still have school and a bunch of exams coming up and we need to study. I don't really feel like studying though, so I decided to play a couple of games on PO. I missed Hydro Pump 5 TIMES IN A ROW in one game. My boyfriend saw it and laughed. "It won't happen tomorrow, it's impossible to miss HP 5 times in a row!" I can only hope he's right, and I go to bed early to be ready for the competition.

Sunday, April 15th
I wake up at 6 am, feeling kinda nervous. That is not the reason why I woke up though, there were birds chillin' right next to our window, and they're making a heck of a ruckus u_u
We all get ready to leave to the convention centre, and then we notice something on our door :

Old chart is old?

What's with the horse and carriage thing? I think they need to update their chart... =P
We laugh about it and we leave. We decided not to go by car since it's only a 30-minute walk from our hotel. There were a lot of pidgeons on the streets, and one of them was brown instead of grey. Shiny 'mon!

Shiny female Unfezant! It doesn't look brown on the picture, but I swear it was.

We get to the convention centre at 8:45 am, and we can finally register at 9 am. We don't have a lot of things to do, so we just sit and talk until the tournament begins. At one point I notice Phiddlestick has arrived, but I'm too nervous and shy to go and introduce myself D: So I just chill with my boyfriend and my friend until the first pairings are announced. I really feel nervous, because this was my first VGC tournament ever, and because I didn’t have that much time to practice due to school and work. While we were waiting some cool dude come see us and ask me if I have any shinies. He's collecting them, and he needs a Wynaut. I have one in my HG game, so I tell him I can give it to him. I forgot to ask for his name though -__- He ended up 3-3 I think, someone gave him a team and he entered for the heck of it. A pretty good finish for someone who doesn't really know how to play!

Chillin' with Flareon.

Round 1 - Roz (0-0) Vs. Reed Mascola (0-0)
Ludicolo/Politoed/Throh/Musharna Vs. Blaziken/Whimsicott/Haxorus/Ferrothorn
I noticed people talking about Smogon so I ask them if they’re on the website. They say they are, turns out I’m sitting right next to Texas Cloverleaf! We introduce ourselves and get ready to play.

I noticed he had a speed boost Blaziken. Setting up Trick Room would be helpful, so I bring Musharna. He also has a Ferrothorn, so I have to bring Throh. I just lead with PoliColo because (iirc) he wasn't running any weather.
First turn I don't want to use Fake Out because his Whimsicott may have Encore, so I Surf and Ice Beam... and I crit my Poli with the Surf. u_u
I hit his Blaziken down to his sash, and I manage to KO the Whimsicott on the next turn with another Ice Beam. I let him kill my Ludicolo, and I send out Musharna. I protect with Politoed because Ferro's out, and he protects with Blaziken, allowing me to set up Trick Room. I kill his Blaziken with Musharna, and he kills my Poli with Ferro. I sent out the man, the Throh to clean the rest of his 'mons. I thought he'd protect with Ferrothorn since the Fighting move was obvious, so I target the Haxorus. Turns out he used Protect on Haxorus D:
Reed said it was stupid because I was obviously going to go after the Ferrothorn, and he said it was a mistake on his part... it either was a good misplay, of he predicted my play. Either way, I get the KO on Haxorus and Ferro on the next 2 turns. I win 2-0 on one of my closest game of the day.

Round 2 - Roz (1-0) Vs. Kyle Smith (1-0)
I don't remember much about the game at all. I think I used the Pokémon I used on the last game. All I remember is that he had a Cursing Ferrothorn, but I had Throh in the back. I froze Ferro with Ice Beam, and I safely switched Throh in to KO it. I win 4-0.

Round 3 - Roz (2-0) Vs. Geoff Hamilton a.k.a Phiddlesticks (1-1)
I'm battling a fellow member of Smogon! I should've expected that to happen, but I guess I didn't really want to battle against the friends I made at the tournament.
I don't remember much about that game either; I should've taken notes D:
I think I lead with PoliColo again, with Rotom-W and Throh in the back. The game was really close, and I lost because of a Hydro Pump miss at a critical moment. Had I not missed, I would've been able to KO his Dusknoir and he would'nt have been able to set up the Trick Room again. That would've allowed me to win the game I think... at least I would've had better chances of winning. I had a ton of fun playing so I wasn't sad at all about the loss. I lost 0-2 in the closest match I had all day, along with my 1st match.

Round 4 - Roz (2-1) Vs. Jacob Lesage (2-1)
That was the most hilarious match I've ever played. I recognized the name on the sheet, yet I just couldn't remember where I'd seen it... I chat with the guy, he was pretty cool! He said I was "dedicated" for driving 9 hours to take part in a Pokémon tournament... I guess he's right =P
I don't remember much of the battle, except for Jacob's comments :
“What?! What’s with those shinies? Where’d you get them?”
"Wait, what type is Ludicolo again?" "So I can use Ice Beam against the guy, right?"
"Oh right, Chandelure's a fire type... so I guess I'm screwed"
I think I won 3-0 or 4-0.
I had a ton of fun battling against him, and then I remembered: He plays the TCG and competed at Worlds '10. Pretty cool guy, next time let's rematch on your turf! You're definitely gonna win though xD

Round 5 - Roz (3-1) Vs. Peter Jun (3-1)
OMG I'M SO SORRY ABOUT THE HAX D:
I lead with LudiWash I think? ( I like those fancy names D: )
I remember having my Poli out at one point, and he sends out his Salamence. I'm pretty sure I can take a Dragon Gem boosted Draco from a Salamence, so I decide to stay in and Ice Beam. I live with 11 HP, and KO the Salamence. He was pretty disheartened, and I would've been too =/ It wasn’t hax per say, I ran calcs and it only has a 18,75% chance of KOing if he’s modest and has 252 sp. Atk EVs.
Later during the match I have my Scizor out and he has his TTar and Top out. I Bullet Punch him, and the hp goes down, down, down... I got a crit. He was pretty upset there too… which is totally understandable, because his Top had Intimidated my Scizor. Not sure if it mattered or not in the long run. He paralyzes my Scizor and parafuse my Ludicolo, and I don't get parahaxed once with neither of my guys, though Ludicolo hits itself in confusion once or twice. I win 2-0.

Round 6 - Roz (4-1) Vs. Ian Cameron a.k.a Layell (4-1)
Another Smogoner D:
I feel comfortable leading with PoliColo, so I just do it. I remember him being upset because I had a weather team and he said he had trouble against those kind of teams, so it works for me. I don't remember much of the battle, I know his last guys were TTar and Starmie. I won 4-0.

Final Record: 5-1.
Not bad for my first VGC tournament ever!
I hang out with the Smogon members and we're chillin' when they finally announce the winners. And then 4th place, I hear my name... I didn't expect it at all, and I couldn't really believe it at first! (And I still can't in a way =P)

Dat Top 4 (where the name of the warstory comes from~)

I was really happy and I still am! MaRcEsCeNt ended up in 18th place, which is not too shabby either. It was a great experience and I had a blast meeting fellow Smogon members!

Seriously, who took those pictures? They're all blurry D:

Hats! Snkz got one after the picture was taken too.

After the event we go get food in a food mall in front of the centre. Peter asks if we want to play 4vs4, so I team up with MaRcEsCeNt and Peter teams up with Atlas. Team MarcoRoz wins the battle. Phiddlesticks and Leanna wants to play to, so she teams up with Peter while Phiddle teams up with MaRcEsCeNt. I think team PhiddleCeNt won.

Peter looks bored =P

We hang out for about an hour and then everyone decides to go back home. My boyfriend and I go back to our hotel to study our butts off since we still have school and exams coming up.
The rest of the day was pretty cool, I got to meet a friend who lives somewhere close to Toronto. It was nice to finally meet him!

Dat hat!

Monday, April 16th

We get up at 7 am, pack our stuff, and we’re ready to go back home. I didn’t really want to leave, because Sunday was so amazing, but I kinda missed Quebec City, plus I don't really like big cities, so I wasn’t that sad to leave. The ride was boring, I played Pokémon and studied to pass the time. We finally got home at 4 pm, so it took us 8 hours to go back home. We continued counting the dead animals we were seeing while getting back home, and if I remember correctly we saw 40 of them. My boyfriend and I wouldn’t stop talking about how awesome our weekend was, and we’re definitely going to Nats this summer. I can’t wait to see you guys again, and I can’t wait to meet people from the West coast too!

I need to thank some people too!
-Thanks MaRcEsCent, for letting me teach you about VGC and coming with me to Toronto. You made the trip become possible.
-Thanks JRank (a.k.a MasterRank ;D) and Deagle for helping me learn about VGC metagame when I started playing back in late 2010. Your advice has been really helpful!
-Thanks Unreality for trying to tutor me during a round of Battle 202, even though we got to meet only once in 2-3 weeks... you didn't really tutor me in the end xD
-Thanks Phiddlesticks, Texas Cloverleaf, Layell, Snkz, and everyone who was at the event for making it that more awesome! (I don't remember all of the nicknames of the people present there, I'm sorry Dx)
-Thanks Charzaro and Alphabet123 for giving MaRcEsCeNt and me the Pokémon we needed to finish our teams, you guys are awesome and we wouldn't have been able to play if it wasn't for you!

Dangit people learn to take non-blurry pictures D:

Congrats Roz! I know we played a couple of times on the Skarmbliss PO server. All great battles. Strong French Canadian trainer!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My bro sucks at taking pictures I am sorry, yeah I knew a weather team would destroy me, but I was acting up everything the entire tournament. Congrats on the win, we will get better photos next time!

He took a photography class too, I need to go yell at this kid.

to clear things up in the section about our battle, i definitely was 1-1 before our battle, i used Dusknoir, not Dusclops, and i think i also had a critical hit on a thunderpunch somewhere in the battle along with the hydro pump miss, for what its worth.

and with the slight clarifications out of the way, congrats on 4th! i also didnt realize MaRcEsCeNt got 18th, really great job by him as well. hope to see both of you again at nats so you can make Vincent even more proud and represent quebec!

Thanks a lot guys! =)

I'm jealous of the Flareon plushie! :D Congrats on your 4th place finish.
Thanks, I think it's really cool too =P
A friend of mine living in NYC bought it for me at the Nintendo World Store.

My bro sucks at taking pictures I am sorry, yeah I knew a weather team would destroy me, but I was acting up everything the entire tournament. Congrats on the win, we will get better photos next time!

He took a photography class too, I need to go yell at this kid.
Yes, we need to get better photos! =D Also it was funny when you fell after receiving your hat xD

to clear things up in the section about our battle, i definitely was 1-1 before our battle, i used Dusknoir, not Dusclops, and i think i also had a critical hit on a thunderpunch somewhere in the battle along with the hydro pump miss, for what its worth.

and with the slight clarifications out of the way, congrats on 4th! i also didnt realize MaRcEsCeNt got 18th, really great job by him as well. hope to see both of you again at nats so you can make Vincent even more proud and represent quebec!
Yes, we'll definitely be there to represent "la belle province" ;D
And yeah, I meant to write Dusknoir, I guess I just battled against too many Dusclops on PO =P

Congrats Roz! I know we played a couple of times on the Skarmbliss PO server. All great battles. Strong French Canadian trainer!
Thanks a lot! You're a great trainer too and I had fun battling you on PO!

Congrats on 4th place! I wish you good luck at canadian nationals!
Thanks, and good luck to you at american nats!

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haha I think we got placed at adjacent tables at least 3 times in our battles xD

Once again congrats, french canadians best be repping Nats in full force!

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
I don't remember much of the battle, except for Jacob's comments :
“What?! What’s with those shinies? Where’d you get them?”
"Wait, what type is Ludicolo again?" "So I can use Ice Beam against the guy, right?"
"Oh right, Chandelure's a fire type... so I guess I'm screwed"
haha, pretty sure i played him too. he was definitely new to vgc and i pretty much coached his way to my defeat, telling him what types are effective and not. he was a nice guy.

Comi$$ionner ~> Thank you :3

TC ~> Yeah, at one point I thought "Wait, I'm sitting next to him again? What kind of sorcery is this?" It was cool though =P

TRE ~> Yes, we'll definitely have to hang out at Nats =)

Atlas ~> He told me it was his first time playing VGC, he was there because he played the day before and thought he'd give it a shot. I hope to see him again at Nats.

Layell ~> Haha sure ;o T'was funny anyway =P

Snkz ~> Thanks for the picture!

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
hope to see both of you again at nats so you can make Vincent even more proud and represent quebec!
Toutes mes félicitations, "French Canadian" Rosalie.

Je contemple l'idée de peut-être m'y présenter, en juillet.... si ce n'est que pour donner une grosse bine à Mike Dupuis... (le grand atlas !).. et insister à être accommodé dans ma langue par le staff puisqu'ils insistent appeler ça des 'Nationals'.

Autant leur faire comprendre ce que ça veut dire dans le contexte Canadien, au risque de faire honte à tous mes petits amis Smogon.

Désolé d'avance ! =)

Toutes mes félicitations, "French Canadian" Rosalie.

Je contemple l'idée de peut-être m'y présenter, en juillet.... si ce n'est que pour donner une grosse bine à Mike Dupuis... (le grand atlas !).. et insister à être accommodé dans ma langue par le staff puisqu'ils insistent appeler ça des 'Nationals'.

Autant leur faire comprendre ce que ça veut dire dans le contexte Canadien, au risque de faire honte à tous mes petits amis Smogon.

Désolé d'avance ! =)
Merci beaucoup =)
Tu devrais venir, je voudrais bien te voir insister sur ce point =P
Absolument personne du staff ne parlait français aux Regionals je crois (du moins je n'en ai pas vu), donc ce pourrait être bien drôle x)

Merci beaucoup =)
Tu devrais venir, je voudrais bien te voir insister sur ce point =P
Absolument personne du staff ne parlait français aux Regionals je crois (du moins je n'en ai pas vu), donc ce pourrait être bien drôle x)
Thats actually false. LOL.
I was he staff wearing the Gengar hat, I can understand french pretty well. I will let our judging staff know to make an announcement before we start about french-speaking judging staff. If not ill make one en francais of course. Glad you had fun!

Ah, that's cool haha. I kept speaking French everywhere and people were always replying to me in English, so I thought no one did.
And yeah, an announcement would be cool to clear up any confusion about that (though I'm pretty sure my bf and I were the only ones there whose mothertongue isn't English =P)
Btw your hat is awesome!

Ah, that's cool haha. I kept speaking French everywhere and people were always replying to me in English, so I thought no one did.
And yeah, an announcement would be cool to clear up any confusion about that (though I'm pretty sure my bf and I were the only ones there whose mothertongue isn't English =P)
Btw your hat is awesome!
That was weird. I didn't hang much aroudn the VGC area during the competition as much top cut for TCG.

I talked with a French Pokedad on why his son's french cartiledge wasn't usuable.

I will mention that next time hopefully.

Thanks. Although I was kinda jealous of your Ash Hat I saw while registering you :)

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm certain there were not too many French speaking people over there but the point is you shouldn't get to call anything 'Canadian Nationals' if Canada's linguistic realities aren't taken into account.

Canada being a bilingual country isn't a bad joke (although i'm sure it may seem to be in Toronto, where French is nearly nonexistent); I expect French speaking staff. In fact, I would expect everything to be in both languages, from what announcers call to any on-site official documentation about the event, to even the website if there is one.

I'm not kidding myself however as I also understand this is a tiny event, held in Toronto. Everything will be in English only save perhaps a few kind souls with a Gengar hat ready to accomodate me in my language likely wondering why that is necessary, considering I also speak English. I'm not very likely to switch to it just because I can.

I've always had doubts but was told I was Canadian quite a few times and when I read 'Canadian Nationals' I thought that meant I was invited. Hopefully, as a French unlingual-for-a-day, which I could have been, I'll leave the event with happy memories and with still the sentiment that like everyone I met over there, I am still also Canadian.

I'm certain there were not too many French speaking people over there but the point is you shouldn't get to call anything 'Canadian Nationals' if Canada's linguistic realities aren't taken into account.

Canada being a bilingual country isn't a bad joke (although i'm sure it may seem to be in Toronto, where French is nearly nonexistent); I expect French speaking staff. In fact, I would expect everything to be in both languages, from what announcers call to any on-site official documentation about the event, to even the website if there is one.

I'm not kidding myself however as I also understand this is a tiny event, held in Toronto. Everything will be in English only save perhaps a few kind souls with a Gengar hat ready to accomodate me in my language likely wondering why that is necessary, considering I also speak English. I'm not very likely to switch to it just because I can.

I've always had doubts but was told I was Canadian quite a few times and when I read 'Canadian Nationals' I thought that meant I was invited. Hopefully, as a French unlingual-for-a-day, which I could have been, I'll leave the event with happy memories and with still the sentiment that like everyone I met over there, I am still also Canadian.
If you really cared then you could open a ticket with TPCi about the lack of French-Speaking. As long as you udnerstand what's going around that is all that matters to them clearly.

I learned French in Toronto. Thats a challenge as you cant find someone who's biligual enough to teach.

That was weird. I didn't hang much aroudn the VGC area during the competition as much top cut for TCG.

I talked with a French Pokedad on why his son's french cartiledge wasn't usuable.

I will mention that next time hopefully.

Thanks. Although I was kinda jealous of your Ash Hat I saw while registering you :)
I remember hearing about that issue, and it sucks big time. Do you think it's gonna be fixed for Nats? If people travel from Quebec to Toronto and end up not being able to play because they have a French game... I think that kind of issue is unacceptable. Oh and I made the hat myself, you could probably make one too, it's not too hard =P

I understand your point of view, but I personally saw it as an opportunity for me to practice my English, especially because I can't really practice anywhere else. And does that mean we'll see you at Nats? =P

I remember hearing about that issue, and it sucks big time. Do you think it's gonna be fixed for Nats? If people travel from Quebec to Toronto and end up not being able to play because they have a French game... I think that kind of issue is unacceptable. Oh and I made the hat myself, you could probably make one too, it's not too hard =P

I understand your point of view, but I personally saw it as an opportunity for me to practice my English, especially because I can't really practice anywhere else. And does that mean we'll see you at Nats? =P
The French cartiledge not being acceptable was TPCi fault. They "forgot" to program it for french. Was told it "should" be normal for nationals. They NEVER Gurantee anything.
Oh I thought you bought that hat. I got mine made from a PTO in Wisconsin

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seeing as they support five languages at the European Nationals and seven at Worlds I'd hope they'd be able to do the two here. It's not like they don't have the technology. Just a stupid brain fart on the part of an American company supporting their first Canadian event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)