BW Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll add more to the OP as people play the tier~

BW Cup

Banlist: Reshiram, Zekrom, unreleased Pokemon/abilities, and all non-5th gen Pokemon.

Clauses:
  • Wifi Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • Evasion Clause
  • OHKO Clause

In BW Cup, the only Pokemon usable are the 156 new Pokemon. As most of the Pokemon sport 130+ (Special) Attack stats, the tier is very fast-paced. Most battles will end before 15 turns are over. It's a fun tier and quite easy to teambuild for. Some top threats include Volcarona, Terrakion, Conkeldurr, and Landorus. In fact, Volcarona is such a big threat that it makes Stealth Rock and 101+ Speed Choice Scarf users so prominent. Trick Room is also a very viable strategy because of the offensive nature of the tier and all of the good abusers. Still, BW Cup is a fairly new tier and hasn't been played much, so there is surely much more to explore.

Volcarona (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hammer Arm

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Ferrothorn (F) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Conkeldurr (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge

Haxorus (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

• Steath Rock - Crustle, Gigalith, Ferrothorn, Bisharp
  • Spikes - Acceglor, Maractus, Scolipede, Ferrothorn, Garbodor, Crustle
  • Toxic Spikes - Garbodor, Scolipede
  • Rapid Spin - Excadrill, Cryogonal

I've drafted up a team for this, looking to see how weather functions when there are no perma-weather bringers. Probably the most interesting mono-gen,s o defiantely willing to try it out.

canno

formerly The Reptile
BW Cup is great fun! Definitely deserves a lot more attention.

One thing that I've noticed is that there are almost no Water-types in the tier that are viable. Only Jellicent comes to mind. So much for my FWG core. :(

Thundurus is my favorite Pokemon to use right now; it's so easy to take down multiple Pokemon with it.

Thundurus

Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Thundurus is the fastest viable Pokemon in BW Cup (Scolipede is such shit). It easily wrecks everything with just a Life Orb; it doesn't even need Nasty Plot to sweep. It can also crutch prevent something from sweeping with Thunder Wave.

The Reptile was using a different Thundurus set which was quite interesting:

Thundurus

Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Thundurus has all of the right attributes for a Choice Specs user. It's fast, powerful, and has a STAB that is not resisted by much. It's weak to SR but SR is pretty easy to prevent from setting up.

Speaking of SR, physically defensive Chople Berry Ferrothorn is brilliant in this meta. It's a great pivot with Iron Barbs, great bulk, and an excellent defensive typing, and in my opinion, the best Stealth Rock user. Chople Berry is useful because not many people expect it and you can take down something like Terrakion. Ferrothorn doesn't miss Leftovers because it's usually out for, at most, 5 turns a game.

canno

formerly The Reptile
BW2 came out, and Pokemon Showdown allows us to play with the new toys! This adds a LOT of changes to BW cup. A decent chunk of pokemon got Stealth Rock, Keldeo is legal, the genies got new forms, move tutors that give a bunch of pokemon awesome moves (Giga Drain Volcarona, Roost Kyurem, Sleep Talk on everything, ect.).

Golurk is notable because it can spin block AND set up Stealth Rock, not to mention apply some offensive pressure. Landorous-T looks cool as a SR setter because 145 atk applies some major offensive pressure, and it's bulk isn't that bad thanks to Intimidate. Probably not the best setter, but SR + U-Turn is a unique combo that only Landorous gets afaik.

Keldeo is a HUGE threat, especially without the Latis and Celebi to keep it in check. Luckily, we have 2 of the best checks to Keldeo, Amoongus and Jellicent. Choice Specs Keldeo looks promising, with Icy Wind / Hydro Pump / Secret Sword / Hidden Power [Ghost], although offensive calm mind could end up being deadly as well.

Also, I think we need a new server for BW cup (the old one I had a link to doesn't work

List of tutor moves is here for those who don't know the list already.

BW2 came out, and Pokemon Showdown allows us to play with the new toys! This adds a LOT of changes to BW cup. A decent chunk of pokemon got Stealth Rock, Keldeo is legal, the genies got new forms, move tutors that give a bunch of pokemon awesome moves (Giga Drain Volcarona, Roost Kyurem, Sleep Talk on everything, ect.).

Golurk is notable because it can spin block AND set up Stealth Rock, not to mention apply some offensive pressure. Landorous-T looks cool as a SR setter because 145 atk applies some major offensive pressure, and it's bulk isn't that bad thanks to Intimidate. Probably not the best setter, but SR + U-Turn is a unique combo that only Landorous gets afaik.

Keldeo is a HUGE threat, especially without the Latis and Celebi to keep it in check. Luckily, we have 2 of the best checks to Keldeo, Amoongus and Jellicent. Choice Specs Keldeo looks promising, with Icy Wind / Hydro Pump / Secret Sword / Hidden Power [Ghost], although offensive calm mind could end up being deadly as well.

Also, I think we need a new server for BW cup (the old one I had a link to doesn't work

List of tutor moves is here for those who don't know the list already.
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/~~othermetas.herokuapp.com:80/lobby

Sorry, I changed it

Two huge Pokemon were released recently - Genesect and Gothitelle.

Genesect will undoubtedly be a metagame defining threat; two meaty attacking stats backed up by an excellent movepool. Its superb Bug / Steel typing grants many useful resistances, such as Dragon, Grass and Rock, while in return Genesect has only one weakness - Fire. Its defensive stats aren't too shabby either. I don't know what DTC plans to do about Genesect, but in theory it seems pretty broken, however I haven't it tested yet. (get on #othermetas on synIRC to organise a battle!). Even if there is a counter to Genesect out there, it can simply use its powerful U-Turn to escape and go to an appropriate teammate. I suppose Chandelure can switch-in on U-Turn, Ice Beam and Flamethrower, making it a decent check.

Gothitelle is the first offensive Shadow Tag Pokemon, unlike its cousin Wobbufett, Gothitelle can cause direct damage coming from a decent - but not stellar - base 95 Special Attack stat. With Shadow Tag, Gothitelle can switch-in, trap and kill some Fighting-type Pokemon such as Conkeldurr and choice locked Terrakion. Its defensive stats are pretty impressive too, 70 / 95 / 110 meaning that isn't a slouch defensively. Sets I'm most interested in are SubCM and Choice Specs, which have proven to be its most potent sets in other tiers too. Pokemon such as Hydreigon greatly appreciate Gothitelle's support, as both Conkeldurr and Terrakion make apt checks to it, and Gothitelle can eliminate them for it. Additionally, Dragon-types such as Haxorus appreciate Gothitelle's support, despite its STAB being resisted, a super effective Hidden Power should severely dent most Steel-types. Making it easier for Haxorus to sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)