Au natrual: a alternate metagame proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
very simple idea for a metagame/tier.

pokemon can only use the abilitys they can normally get without any special event of any kind even in-game ones. basically, they can not use their hidden ability if they can obtain one regardless of potential metagame impact.

how will the game turn out without stuff like drizzletoed and drought ninetails or moxie mence.

^ This. It looks really pointless and boring. DW abilities is what makes the metagame fun. If you don't want DW abilities go play a game from a previous gen.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's drastically different from DPP. You have all of the Fifth Generation Pokémon, which is a huge thing. I, for one, would be willing to try out this metagame, and the only requirement would be to flag all Dream World abilities as unreleased for that tier. I support this, if only for that it would be interesting to see the metagame without DW abilities.

ss234

bop.
I would quite like to play a metagame like this-without the over-powerdness of rain and sun. Sand would be much more powerful with Landorus and Sand Veil SubSD Gliscor and Terrakion. Conkeldurr would be very hard to counter-without Slowbro getting Regenerator and Gliscor without Poison Heal, and Dragonite loses Multiscale-yeah, I suppose it would be very similar to DPP after all-only with better sandstorm sweepers.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sand would be god. Sand and hail are the only perma weather, and if we start with no ban list, Exadrill, Garchomp, Landorus, and even Stoutland (still got that Superpower) will run through everything. Last gen, sand was everywhere and there weren't really any good abusers. Now it has it's virtual monopoly back, and some abusers too. Even with Exa and Chomp gone, it'll still be the dominant strategy.

My reaction can be summed up as "Why?" Why are hidden abilities somehow more "artificial" than, well every other element of the game? The implication here is a stretch of titanic proportions.

Basically, sand would monopolize the weather game, with nearly nothing to stop things like Landorus and Excadrill from getting their boosts. Other than that, the metagame would probably not be much different. Some stuff like Dragonite, Tentacruel, Venusaur, Volcarona and Toxicroak wouldn't be much good (well, MAYBE Volcarona...), Blaziken/Politoed/Ninetales would obviously suck, and... that's about it afaik.

no it won't don't be a ignorant fool not with all the gen 5 mechanic changes team preview and the new pokemon.
What gen V game mechanic changes?

EDIT: uh uh i'm gonna make a list

Sleep Counter resetting on switch
New moves like Shell Smash, Icicle Crash, Wild Crash, Dragon Tail, Circle Throw, Scald, Clear Smog, and I can't really think of many others
Tail Glow being +3
Some random abilities that did things nothing did in gen v (Prankster, Magic Bounce, Sand Rush/Sand Force, Sheer Force, Regenerator and Imposter being some of the big targets that oh yeah this metagame would barely have because of DW restrictions :/)
Multi hit moves getting boosted in power and even awesomer with technician
High Jump Kick getting boosted too
Rotom-Forme type change (snooooooooooooooooooooooooooze)

but seriously Gen IV to Gen V is pretty much the same game entirely, it's the least drastic game mechanic shift generation to generation so far, and IV was closer to III, than III was to II or II was to I. No physical special split, no total rehauling of stat allocation, no addition of two entirely new types and an actually entirely new mechanic (held items). On the other hand, obviously Gen V had the most new pokemon added to the metagame and they'd be least affected by the new dream world thing. So I can kinda see where you're coming from, but I think it would just make a lot of the older pokemon a lot less powerful. Espeon wouldn't be touching OU with a ten foot pole without magic bounce, and so would basically I guess all the old pokemon except stuff like Tyranitar and Scizor, that were already pretty threatening no matter what in Gen V. But yeah, without DW there are for a lot of older pokemon no gen V game mechanic changes at all.

Still I vote a better name for this tier is release date, in that it has all the pokemon accessible as of the japanese release before dw first got set up. It's basically the OU metagame frozen in that moment in time like a piece of amber. But yeah, probably one of the coolest things about gen V compared to gen IV is how dw releases keep the metagame shifting around over time, though i was kinda hoping they'd save something other than shadow tag chandelure for after bw2 comes out :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)