Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gen 5 felt rushed on Gamefreak's part. After all, X & Y was in development way before black and white. Gen 5 designs really felt like a last minute resort to try to rack up as much money as possible on the DS.

However, X & Y so far has really thoughtful designs. I really like the panda, and the non grey colors of the starting bird (I'm look at you Starly and Pidove!).

Actually Gen 5 holds the dubious honor of being the first one that didn't add anything that the previous generation couldn't have done.

Gen 2 gave us genders, new types, the special attack/defense split and items.
Gen 3 gave us natures and abilities.
Gen 4 gave us the physical/special split.
Gen 5 didn't add anything that couldn't have been coded in Gen 4.

You can't criticize people for thinking that Pokemon is getting stale, because that's exactly what happened in Gen 5.
Gen 5 gave us many new things, such as more items, abilities and moves than any generation has ever given us before. It gave use dream world abilities which has never been done before what so ever. New battle styles in triple and rotation battles were also introduced, which were huge for a pokemon game. It also gave
us an improvement to the graphics of the game with animated sprites and just in general compared to other generations, the graphics in Gen 5 are significantly better. I don't know what you mean when you say gen 5 didn't give us anything, because if anything it gave us the most new features of any gen. I'd expect gen 6 to be no different.

...alright, departing from the genwars, has Game Freak ever released early the starting route bird without the starting route rodent? If not, then they're either parting from tradition or perhaps the new Normal/Electric-type is the potential starting "rodent" (well, lizard).

Seriously? I look through 4 more pages to find that still nobody has translated the sylveon segment of pokemon smash? We could have pretty solid evidence of sylveon's type if someone just knew japanese...

Seriously? I look through 4 more pages to find that still nobody has translated the sylveon segment of pokemon smash? We could have pretty solid evidence of sylveon's type if someone just knew japanese...
Bulbagarden on Facebook said:
Is a new type confirmed? Well...maybe. During the Eevee-Akiyama friends segment of Pokémon Smash earlier today, it was heavily implied that Sylveon is strong against Ice types, and weak against Poison types. If this is true, and not just the Pokémon Smash team horsing around, then this is an outright confirmation that Sylveon is a brand new type.

For those who haven't seen the segment, it had the team (cosplaying as Eeveelutions) trying to figure out Sylveon's type. First, Shoko (playing Sylveon) pulled out some Nunchucks....but then got shoved inside a drum by a big burly guy, implying Sylveon is not a Fighting type, and in fact is probably weak to them. Next, she broke a block of ice. Akiyama and the others suggested that she may be a Steel type as a result of these two results, and decided to test the idea. The method they came up with? Seeing if she resisted Poison by having her put her head in a box and expose her to some really bad smelling items. That...didn't work out so well for Shoko. Not clear if that was meant to imply Poison was super effective, or that it was just effective, but at least it was clear that Sylveon lacked the Poisin immunity of Steel.
(Yes, crazy stuff like this is typical of Smash)

One more thing to consider. If this is true, it contradicts the "Fairy-type" rumours which have been going around recently. While those did suggest a Poison weakness, they said nothing about Ice at all, and suggested that Sylveon was actually strong against Fighting.

So...new type looking incredibly likely. Your thoughts?
Lrn 2 internetz

Edit @Tytus: I'm rooting for "SmellYaLater" :P

Calling it now: The English name for "Parting Remark" will be "Last Word".

And with Nitro Charge, that bird is definitely evolving into a roadrunner. Wouldn't be the first time a bird Pokemon changed species (looking at Spearow and Starly).

Seems likely that Sylveon is a new type at this point though it's the last thing we'd ordinarily assume.

It's weird that they would be secretive about the type of an Eeevelution, of all things, and even weirder that we can't easily guess. Flareon, Jolteon, Umbreon, Leafeon, for example, are the embodiments of their types; the names and design completely give the typings away. IF there is a 'fairy' or 'sylph' type the puzzle is completed as far as Sylveon's design and name (Sylveon/sylph, Ninfea/nymph) are concerned.

I will not be the least bit surprised when a new typing is confirmed.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Fairy will be a new type.

(...)

so did everyone see these? from pokebeach.
STOP.

Big bold blue letters on the first page. This is not confirmed information, so we're not going to discuss it.

Besides, somebody whose name I forgot posted those same rumors (actually, with even more info) at May 1st on GameFaqs. And suddenly, WPM posted them saying "his source's been giving him info since February". This alone completely undermines his credibility, so screw that.

Calling it now: The English name for "Parting Remark" will be "Last Word".
Nah, it's going to be "SmellYaLater".

Sylveon successfully broke the ice, but I don't think it was super effective against it or anything. That was just to show that it worked. With fighting and steel out of the question, that leaves Fire and Rock. Consider Flareon, and that just leaves rock, which I doubt.

And with Nitro Charge, that bird is definitely evolving into a roadrunner. Wouldn't be the first time a bird Pokemon changed species (looking at Spearow and Starly).
Actually, with the single feather as a tail, I feel they will expand upon this detail and make it into some kind of peacock.
(e.g. next evolution has three feathers, final a full dress)

Quick question: There are going to be more scans of THIS CoroCoro issue, right?
Does anyone know when the official release date is, so that we can get the full 18 pages?

@Exbo: The "18 pages" thing was a mistranslation. The scans were on page 18 of the whole magazine.

I think this is it for this month's issue.

I just thought of something. About Parting Remark. Since it'll be a Status move, I wonder how it'll work against Magic Bounce Espeon and Xatu? Will using it bounce it back to you and they'll be forced to switch out instead?
Although I reckon it might not work that. I reckon the effect of lowering stats will be bounced back but you will switch out.
Yes, I think bouncing back the effect but then forcing the user to switch is the most likely outcome.

Even if it does force the target to switch, it will be a very gimmicky move. But it could be interesting depending on how the stats drops work.

@Exbo: The "18 pages" thing was a mistranslation. The scans were on page 18 of the whole magazine.

I think this is it for this month's issue.
Are you sure? Damn... at least there's Smash next week. The official release date is before Sunday at least I hope? So that we can get maybe something new from Smash.

Alright, guys, cool it with the talk about Sylveon. We have no idea what Sylveon's type is. Japanese shows in general do weird stuff like that, so we can't base anything on it. So shut up.

We really need to focus on the stuff that already exists. There's a reason we had to kill the old thread - it was almost four-hundred pages of utter garbage, talking in circles and speculating on all sorts of things that we legitimately have no clue about.

So, as I said, let's focus on facts we already have. For starters, has Game Freak ever pre-released the starting route bird without the starting route rodent? If so, we have a possibility that Elikiteru is the starting route rodent/there may be no starting route rodent, or that Yayakoma may not be the starting route bird.

But, I emphasize, this prediction will be based on existing data. We look at previous trends to take a guess about the potential future of a Pokemon. Not blindly guessing what a type will be or even a new type based on something a Pokemon-related show is doing.

@Lucario Guy That seems like speculation on their part. I was saying it would be nice if somebody would actually translate what was being said during that segment (both verbal and the text). Also, people seem to be forgetting that Masuda is going to be on smash next week to reveal something big.

I was at Target today and they had pre-orders for X and Y for sale. $5 gift card with your $1 pre-order, woohoo. I'll wait and see what pre-order goodies Walmart/Gamestop/TRU will offer.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Alright, guys, cool it with the talk about Sylveon. We have no idea what Sylveon's type is. Japanese shows in general do weird stuff like that, so we can't base anything on it. So shut up.

We really need to focus on the stuff that already exists. There's a reason we had to kill the old thread - it was almost four-hundred pages of utter garbage, talking in circles and speculating on all sorts of things that we legitimately have no clue about.
I'm sorry, but what. Of course we don't know Sylveon's type, but Pokémon Smash does, and all those weird tryouts for its typing aren't random. If they say it isn't Fighting-type, it's not Fighting-type, as wacky as their presentation is. There's no blind guessing in "well it's not going to have the same typing as other Eeveelutions, it's not Fighting and it appears to be strong to Ice, so Rock", we are working with the current patterns in Pokémon and whatever hints an official source has given us.

Of course we shouldn't start some "it's going to be Love-type!!!" or "they are changing the types' effectiveness!" madness, but saying that it *might* be a new type, based on concrete proof, isn't baseless speculation by definition.

Yeah, I was just about to say that. We know that sylveon exists and it has an unknown type. Eliminating what it is unlikely to be is not baseless speculation. We certainly take it for granted that its typing is different from that of the other eeveelutions. And the fact that we can't clearly determine its type from its appearance and name (it IS an eeveelution after all) really strengthens the possibility that it's a type that does not currently exist.

especially with all of the mystery and hype surrounding the type, yeah? i mean, they are creating massive buildup for it - revelation of something as big as a new type would be adaquate closure and would make sense to draw attention to the innovations of the next generation.

So if we're assuming smash was in fact teasing what Sylveon's type strengths are, I'd say it's extremely likely that Sylveon's type will be what Masuda reveals next week. Otherwise, that was a pretty random time to be teasing that.

Yeah, I was just about to say that. We know that sylveon exists and it has an unknown type. Eliminating what it is unlikely to be is not baseless speculation. We certainly take it for granted that its typing is different from that of the other eeveelutions. And the fact that we can't clearly determine its type from its appearance and name (it IS an eeveelution after all) really strengthens the possibility that it's a type that does not currently exist.
Have they eliminated Normal-type yet?

The only ones eliminated were Poison, Steel and fighting. Basically everything was eliminated because she was strong against ice and weak against poison.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
The only ones eliminated were Poison, Steel and fighting. Basically everything was eliminated because she was strong against ice and weak against poison.
Valid.

Just imagining, that sounds very alike to the love type theory,
even when I originally believed in the fairy / pixie/ yosei theory.

I originally thought that based on the names Nymphia and Sylveon, which probably comes from Nymph and Sylph/ Sylphide, it should be based on some mythological stuff.
And we know that in Japanese media, Europe is pretty much stereotyped to be with the mythological creatures like fairies.

But then, being strong against ice doesn't really relate to fairies for me, whilst love probably is associated to warming cold hearts, and that people tend to poison themselves for love.

However, I think it would be kind of stupid for POkemon to put love in as an element.
And I don't think that Sylveon's new move have anything to do with love.

(PS: Poor ice types now have another weakness :c )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)