Pokemon Drafting: New possible gametype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! I'd like to introduce the community to a fun, new gametype called "pokemon drafting."
Pokemon Drafting attempts to make teambuilding an active, dynamic part of the game and allows for interesting concepts and strategies currently unseen in standard matches. It's been a big success among my irl friends, and I'm thinking the smogon/showdown community will like it as well.

The mechanics are inspired off of magic drafting. But instead of purchasing packs of cards, the players each create a pack of 8 pokemon of their choosing to be shuffled in the pack-pool.

Each player begins by submitting a pack of 8 pokemon. Players can make their pokemon as specific as they want, and can write out each pokemon's EVs, Natures, etc. (assuming, of course, that it's a legal pokemon; ie no sheerforce slaking).

Here's a simplified example with 3 players and 3 pokemon each instead of 8 pokemon:

Now for some details not in the example:
The first round of drafting is actually a "ban-phase" where the each player's first pick is actually just thrown out of the game. This way players are discouraged from adding top-tier pokemon because they risk having them banned immediately in turn one (the player who adds 8 mewtwos gets all of his mewtwos banned on turn 1). So if you make a pack of 8 pokemon each, 1 card is banned, and the last card is thrown out, leaving you with 6 pokemon for your team.

So in case you're not convinced, let's talk about some cool strategies my friends thought of:

One player just made a pack of UU pokemon that he was particularly familiar with. This way when he encountered them (even if the opponent has them), he know how to handle them.

One player put 4 ninetales and 4 NU sunny-day sweepers in a daft with a total of 4 people. Each of the other players all picked ninetales within the first few rounds, and he didn't pick ninetales. Instead he just picked the sunny-day sweepers knowing that his opponents would bring the sun for him.

Another player created a pack of OU dragons, and added a few unappealing-looking steel-types. This way he'd try to steal the steel-types before other players realize how many dragons there are available.

Another player created a pack of appealing pokemon with crippling stealth rock weaknesses, with a few UU pokemon with stealth rocks. Players don't realize how valuable the UU pokemon are and he can end up being the only one with stealth rocks.

I think it's a really fun game, and I'm hoping the Smogon/Showdown community would be interested in giving it a try.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We can ask if someone could make a mod for it.
It looks really interesting, but isn`t it just obvious people make only lvl1 Magikarps with Splash?

It looks really interesting, but isn`t it just obvious people make only lvl1 Magikarps with Splash?
haha well, there is an incentive to try to make pokemon that aren't the best or the worst. By making all magikarps or all mewtwos, they'll probably be the cards that are thrown out in the first and last rounds.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hmm. I see this tier being full of shitty Magikarps and Sunkerns.
If this tier was actually made I`d give it a try since this tier has real potential.
Maybe make it like, you have to make 1 Uber, 1 OU, 1 UU, 1 RU, 1 NU and 1 LC.
You have 6 Pokémons made by 6 people.
That makes 30 Pokémons. You can be very lucky and get 6 Ubers or very unlucky and get 6 LCs.
You can make it like there can`t be 2 the same Pokémons. For example, if someone else made an Uber Kyogre, you can`t make an Uber Kyogre.
You have a poule system, and you play everyone once. A win is 2 points, a tie is 1 point and a loss is 0 points. The person with the most points wins. If you don`t play or accept the battle against your opponent in 2 minutes you automatically lose.
Then make it like you have a showcase or something for every cup you win (optional)
Also, when you get cards, you have to take ONE card from everyone. It doesn`t matter what card. So you have 6 different cards from 6 different people, inclusive you.
But it has to be in an order.
For example:
Player 1 first gets to take a card from Player 2s Deck
Player 2 from Player 3, Player 4 from Player 5, Player 5 from Player 6 and Player 6 from Player 1.
Than you`d have Player 1 from Player 3 etc.
THIS is how I`d love this metagame the most.

P.S. ~ the post accidentally got cut off, sorry.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Other Metagames overlord moderator Arcticblast here. (Post future metagame ideas there, AFTER having them approved by me/Joim/Birkal...)

This isn't the first time this idea has been pitched, and I personally like it - Magic draft tournaments are fun as hell (even if you suck at Magic like I do ;_; ). With regards to Pokemon battling though, this is more suited to a tournament and not to a ladder, where it will likely be impossible to do properly. If you'd like to set up a tournament on Smogon, send one of the Smogon Mentors a message - to find ones who deal with tournaments, simply select Tournaments from the dropdown menu.

It says you joined in 2008, but I haven't seen you around before, so welcome back to Smogon!

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
It is a good idea. I`d actually love to host a tournament of this. But I think people won`t trust me because I`m new and blah blah blah

It is a good idea. I`d actually love to host a tournament of this. But I think people won`t trust me because I`m new and blah blah blah
It doesnt matter when you join. If everyone else likes the idea, then do it. I personally think it's really interesting and would be fun to use.

Hmm. I see this tier being full of shitty Magikarps and Sunkerns.
You have 6 Pokémons made by 6 people.
That makes 30 Pokémons. You can be very lucky and get 6 Ubers or very unlucky and get 6 LCs.
So the current drafting system I will admit has a weakness to it, but it's actually a more technical weakness than what I think you're thinking of. I think you're thinking that people can make a booster pack of 8 ubers and now it becomes a game of who can get the most ubers (or likewise someone makes 8 lvl1 sunkerns and it becomes who gets the least sunkerns.) This is NOT an issue in the current game because the way the shuffled booster packs are organized. Each shuffled booster pack obtains 1 card from every player. So if someone picked 8 mewtwos, each booster pack would have a mewtwo in it, and each player would have an opportunity to pick a mewtwo. If someone makes 8 sunkerns, each booster-pack will have a sunkern in it. So, you don't have to worry about "getting lucky" in these particular situations because everyone is going to start out with similar booster-packs.

Now there is an issue. What if a player creates 4 Arcerus and 4 Sunkerns. Now we have a problem because half of the players are going to get Arcerus's and half get Sunkerns in their first draft. So this is why we have the very first draft-pick be a ban instead of a draft. This way, if the mentioned arcerus-sunkern example happened, in the first round players with Arcerus's in their boosterpacks ban the Arcerus, and now nobody's totally screwed out of their first turn (of course it's not perfect as the players with sunkerns in their pack end up weakening the pack banning the best pokemon instead of Arcerus, so the person who has to recieve this weakened-pack is now at a (hopefully less bad) disadvantage.

It's surprisingly hard to articulate these ideas, and I think it'll become more clear if you play a game or two. Overall though, I'm pretty confident that players who create their pokemon based off of planned strategies will have a solid advantage over players hoping to win sheerly through luck-of-the-draw.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
"Users can`t make more than 1 of the same Pokémon, you have to make 1 Uber, 1 OU, 1 UU, 1 RU, 1 NU and 1 LC.
You have 6 Pokémons made by 6 people."
So the 8 mewtwos, 4 arceus and 4 sunkerns etc. can`t be done. This would make the meta very unbalanced.
You can make it like there can`t be 2 the same Pokémons. For example, if someone else made an Uber Kyogre, you can`t make an Uber Kyogre.
And that is to have alot more of different Pokémons. Sure, there will be people making an Arceus set and Magikarp sets, but you also have to make OU, UU, RU and NU. Making 6 cards.
I hope this made it more clear of what I thought.
~Meloetta<3
PS: I don`t know where you can apply for tournaments, but I asked M Dragon. I`d love to host this tournament.

I got a few possible ideas. You can only create cards for pokemon from a certain list that is decided earlier. For standard OU we could use this list except remove magikarp, unown, and farfetch'd. Limiting moves so that you don't get crap like trick/trick room/calm mind/focus punch on alakazam might be harder to implement though... Also species clause should apply to creating you set of cards so that you have to be more creative than using the same pokemon over and over again. My final idea is to create wild options on cards. So you can leave a moveslot open or you could just put surf and ice beam as moves and whoever picks the card fills in the missing parts with whatever is legal.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
Yeah, but I'd like to host a new Draft Cup. With slightly other rules, people request to randomized Pokemon and fill up their own set.

There would probably be a way to add this into the "tour" commands made by StevoDuhHero, for the alternate servers and such. When it comes to all-out formats, you can probably do this in a two-way manner.

Anyways, cool idea. It is nice to see unique ideas. :D

I dunno, I kind of liked getting sets assigned as well. It made teambuilding ridiculously fast; notice how quickly we managed to run through the tournament!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)