Upcoming Practice Smogon Tours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
There will be 4 unofficial Smogon Tours run over a period of two weeks. The purpose is to test Mew in the current ADV metagame. With that said, the rules of the tours will be:

* The version will be Advance
* No Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Wobbuffet/Wynaut, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys (all forms)
* No illegal movesets
* No OHKO moves (No Horn Drill, Fissure, Guillotine, or Sheer Cold)
* No Evasion moves (No Double Team or Minimize)
* Sleep Clause
* Species Clause
* XD moves WILL be allowed
* Freeze Clause
* No Self-KO allowed on last pokemon
* MEW WILL BE ALLOWED
* UPDATE: TRANSFORM ON MEW IS BANNED.
* NEW UPDATE: TRICK MEW IS ILLEGAL.

The dates for these tours will be as follows:

- Friday, July 13th
- Saturday, July 14th
- Friday, July 20th
- Saturday, July 21st

Sign-ups for the tours will start at 10:00 PM EDT

Good luck and hope to see a good turnout!

The tours will be hosted at the Smogon server which can be found at 68.36.110.112. In the case that Smogon is down, the tour will be hosted at nb.pokerealm.net

Here is a time zone map for dumbos!

I will be hosting the Friday tours. The reasoning behind this is that Mew isn't really a huge offensive threat with a maximum of 300 in the attack stats. It makes a pretty solid defensive wall though. Banning it just because it gets a lot of TMs is silly. Gengar gets almost the same good moves as Mew except Gengar can actually hurt stuff with a great special attack stat and better speed.

So yeah, there will be 4 practice tours to test Mew out. It is up to the participants in these tours to determine if Mew will be moved to the standard tier in Advance or not. So we hope to get a pretty decent sized group of players for these tours. Thanks!

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, Mew is about to become the single most overused Pokemon (as in absolutely every team will have one if they want maximum power, except for BP teams, really), and I believe it to be incredibly unbalanced, but I guess we'll find out!

Who needs Milotic when Mew can Ice Beam better? Milotic has 95 base HP and 79 base Defense, and shuts down quite a few physical attackers no problem. Mew has base 100 for both, so really only Metagross and kind of Tyranitar have it better. Swampert can't Recover, so it has trouble competing. Basically, Mew can replace any bulky water's role, except vs. Metagross, and even then, you risk Flamethrower for better offensive power.

Raikou has STAB Thunderbolt and a Speed advantage on Mew, but Mew gets Ice Beam instead of HP Ice / HP Grass, isn't weak to EQ, and can use Taunt or 101 HP subs or Softboiled to beat Blissey and others.

Mew can shut down any stall team with Taunt or 101 HP Substitute, unless they add on a fast sweeper. Except the sweeper can't be Salamence if it has Ice Beam (and CM Psychic still does a lot), Heracross if it has Psychic, Metagross if it has Flamethrower, Tyranitar if decides to use a mixed set instead (also beats stall teams) or Surf, Flygon, Dragonite, Zapdos, or Raikou.

I wrote an entire thing here just to realize the full advanced part. >>;

Well I hopefully mis-understood that but I doubt I did so I'll just say great job and be sure to participate in it.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
uh this is advance not dp

and really, don't bother complaining/arguing most people want some kind of tours anyway :/

Milotics use declined after being 2HKOd by Tyranitar anyway. Mew will also be owned by Tyranitar.

Mew does not resist Rock, Ground OR Steel

Milotic resists Steel
Swampert resists Rock AND Steel
Claydol resists Rock AND Fighting and is immune to Ground

Mew totally does not replace any physical wall because he has shitty resistances. Any CB Attack will dominate Mew. Sorry.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
it's definitely a better sweeper than Jirachi is, though; it doesn't get knocked down easily to EQs and Fire Blasts. It also has Hypnosis for sleep support, and Swords Dance to go mix, which would be annoying.

Jirachi also has the benefit of resisting Normal, Rock and Steel attacks. Like I've said 2 or 3 times in this thread already, Mew has shit for resistances.

This turned from a Tour thread to a Mew analysis, but whatever, I'll try to catch up at least one of the tours.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
This should be an interesting test. Would be even more interesting if by the end of it, we said "Oh shit, actually Mew isn't uber at all and we've had him banned for the past few years."

Don't know how likely that is, but we could still use the experience to avoid hasty bans in the future. *looks at Manaphy*

I'm not sure if this counts, but I used a team of six Mew sometimes with some good movesets (and some bad ones obviously). It was a pretty 50/50 gamble: there's merits of using Mew in a standard Advance team, but I had the unpredictability going on.

My point is to explain to you that Mew doesn't have an awful load of opportunity to switch in easily. You can also relatively easily scout its moveset with some sturdy all-around Pokemon like Metagross, Blissey or Celebi. Its moveset isn't a surprise forever.

Like with Gengar, you aren't directly in the money if you run a surprise moveset. You have to use a move if you want to let Mew get some impact, and that move tends to give away half of Mew's set.

I'm all for this test, I just don't know if I can be around. Is that good old timezone map still around somewhere? EDT is GMT-4 right?

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
hi, let's not have a debate about mew here... that is the purpose of the the practice tours. Send that lovely posting energy into some of the other forums!

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heh, I was just saying why I think Mew will be proven to be unbalanced, not saying that this sucks I quit Pokemon cheat hax dc ban

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, Mew does not learn Baton Pass via XD. The attacks Mew gets via XD are all 58 TMs/HMs, all 30 of the Fr/Lg/E Move tutor moves & these six special moves:

Faint Attack
Fake Out
Hypnosis
Night Shade
Trick
Zap Cannon

Mew doesn't learn Baton Pass in Adv at all, but since this is Full Advance, Mew doesn't get Trick or Hypnosis, so that's 2 potential moves gone. Mew is still dangerous though thanks to its insane movepool, but have fun switching it in on sweepers with it's shit resistance.

I'm kindof wondering why Mew has had things to try to unban it billions of times before and they failed, yet we have one now. Still, I'm going to enjoy watching the billions of mew sets and the complete lack of stall teams. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)