Gen V STABmons

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, rhydon has some new toys. Now, I know what you're thinking, why not rhyperior? Rhydon not only has more bulk than rhyperior, it also has rock head head smash. Which is insane, especially on something with both it's bulk and base 130 attack, and two different types of hazards.

While he doesn't have STAB on it, Steelix also picked up Rock Head Head Smash, along with STAB Meteor Mash / Gear Grind and Shift Gear, and the ability to lay Spikes. Surprise, Steelix is a sweeper now?

EDIT: Also, just read the Landorus-I overview on the OP - even with the Sheer Force boost, Air Slash is only 97.5 BP and now has no secondary effect. Aeroblast remains the superior option outside of rain with 100 BP, the same accuracy, and a higher crit chance. And even outside of rain, I think most people would be willing to forgo accuracy in favor of a 156 BP Hurricane.

EDIT2: Back to Head Smash, while Rhyperior may not be able to run Rock Head, both he and Rhydon learn Reckless. Rhyperior is probably more suited to this due to his higher Attack, and the fact that he doesn't focus on defenses as much. Reckless Head Smash is 180 BP before STAB, coming off of 140 base Attack? This hits harder than Rampardos' Head Smash.

While he doesn't have STAB on it, Steelix also picked up Rock Head Head Smash, along with STAB Meteor Mash / Gear Grind and Shift Gear, and the ability to lay Spikes. Surprise, Steelix is a sweeper now?
It's average base attack and lackuster speeds is what lets it down, despite the power increase on the Gyro Ball. And if it tries to setup with Curse, it will find the same problems it has in the current metagame.

EV

Banned deucer.
See post #490 for updated information

I'm thinking of something fun to pass the time. We have an idea of the usual suspects, so what if they were all gone and we could only use the underlings?

~ STABmons Tournament ~
Rules:
  • Standard STABmons rules (See post #1)
  • Pokémon must have a BST of 450 or lower
  • Have fun/more to come/this is not official it's just an idea
  • Only 1 Suspect per team
Banned: Chansey​
Azumarill​
Sableye​
Wobbuffet​
Swellow​
Suspect: Bibarel​
Medicham​
Smeargle​
Auto-weather (Vulpix, Hippopotas, Snover)​
Combusken​
IF we ran this tournament, who would be interested?​
Does the ban list look appropriate?​
Should any suspects move to a ban?​
EDIT: Suspect rule​

I'm thinking of something fun to pass the time. We have an idea of the usual suspects, so what if they were all gone and we could only use the underlings?

~ STABmons Tournament ~
450 and Under Club
Rules:
  • Standard STABmons rules (See post #1)
  • Pokémon must have a BST of 450 or lower (http://pastebin.com/hxM5WVPT)
  • Have fun/more to come/this is not official it's just an idea

Banned: Chansey
Azumarill
Sableye
Wobuffet

Suspect: Bibarel
Swellow
Medicham
Smeargle
Auto-weather (Vulpix, Hippopotas, Snover)

IF we ran this tournament, who would be interested?
Does the ban list look appropriate?
Should any suspects move to a ban?

Pretty good idea, as there won't be many strong pokemons as in the standard metagame...Since it's still STABmons, it's sure i'm interested if a tourney about this is hosted.

What, banning the two most prominent pokemon, and two other common ones on something designed to test weaker pokemon? Yeah that looks great. You might want to think about loom though.
Edit
Nevermind, loom's bst was higher than I thought it was
Edit2
Also, I'm in, just give me the time and the place

I'd definitely be interested in this tournament. When I have more time on my hands I'll post about anything I feel should be banned.

So far I see some things that will be nice. Stealth Rocks / Spikes / Endeavor or EQ / Ice Shard Piloswine with an Eviolite or Focus Sash could be a nice hazards lead. Venemoth now gets access to Tail Glow which can be used over Quiver Dance to pass to something that is already fast. It can also use Toxic Spikes, Sleep Powder, and Heal Order for stall teams. Jumpluff will be Jumpluff but now it doesn't have to rely on Sleep Power and can use Spore instead. It can also use Brave Bird over Acrobatics and Leaf Blade over Seed Bomb. Noctowl could be pretty cool bulky Smash Passer with a White Herb. Vigoroth, Swellow and Fearow will be the main Belly Drum, Shell Smash, SD / Extremespeed abusers. Sneasel will be a fun offensive Dark Void abuser. Gligar can now use Spikes and Stealth Rocks, and well as having access to U-turn and Roost. Hello 4mms.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
I'd be interested too. For a while there, I thought chansey was actually banned haha.

Munchlax is the closest thing I could find to evio chansey, won't be as OP too, I think.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I'd play in this tour for sure, it sounds like an interesting idea (SPORE JUMPLUFF LGI)!

In other news, what do you guys think of some Gen VI moves? In particular, the Pokemon X&Y website says that "Topsy-Turvy is a new Dark-type move that Inkay can learn. This move reverses all the stat changes affecting a target Pokemon." If anything, this looks like a big jump in Sableye's popularity — it's immune to ExtremeSpeed and can use Topsy-Turvy to mess up Sawsbuck, Azumarill, Kangaskhan et al. by messing up their Belly Drum/Shell Smashes!

Reactions: EV
I'd play in this tour for sure, it sounds like an interesting idea (SPORE JUMPLUFF LGI)!

In other news, what do you guys think of some Gen VI moves? In particular, the Pokemon X&Y website says that "Topsy-Turvy is a new Dark-type move that Inkay can learn. This move reverses all the stat changes affecting a target Pokemon." If anything, this looks like a big jump in Sableye's popularity — it's immune to ExtremeSpeed and can use Topsy-Turvy to mess up Sawsbuck, Azumarill, Kangaskhan et al. by messing up their Belly Drum/Shell Smashes!

Lol, Sableye could actually get that move next gen :] #Sableye4UbersG6

Reactions: EV
Dugtrio will be amazing with this kind of thing.
EDIT: Also, I think Wobbuffet should be suspected ASAP for that kind of tourney

Dugtrio will be amazing with this kind of thing.
EDIT: Also, I think Wobbuffet should be suspected ASAP for that kind of tourney

Eh, lots of things will be able to outspeed it before the Encore / Calm Mind or w/e and with some smart plays between your set-up moves and attacking moves you can beat it.

EV

Banned deucer.
I banned Wobbu.

What about Shell Smash Girafarig? As a poor man's Espeon with SS/Stored Power/Judgment/Hyper Voice or filler. Sorry, can't read my own rules! >.<

Regen Audino, Liepard, Jumpluff, Munchlax, Dugtrio, even Baton Pass Quiver Dance Volbeat/Illumise are ones I see working well.

SpartanMalice

I never thought of Quiver Dance Volbeat. This is great. And oh man, SS dunsparce. Yay, I get to use dunsparce in Stabmons. Flinchax ftw.

Dugtrio is alright I suppose, but it's best asset right now would likely be his speed, his attack is just about average when there are mons like Fraxure and even Cranidos around. There's no ttar for him to trap, and I'm thinking evio hippopotas can take a hit from him. But he should be decent, I guess.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
We have some cool sleepers here — Liepard with Dark Void/Swagger/Foul Play/Substitute could be even more aggravating than usual, as could Murkrow with Dark Void/Roost/Featherdance or Chatter or Brave Bird or whatever. Not to mention Jumpluff with Spore/Leech Seed/Roost/Substitute or U-turn or something... as for sweepers, Swellow is definitely gonna be a big threat with ExtremeSpeed/Brave Bird/Nature Power and Guts. Then there's also Venomoth, which can now Baton Pass Tail Glow or Quiver Dance! I foresee a ton of fun if we do get this tourney going.

SpartanMalice

Jumpluff doesn't exactly have to run support, it now gets growth which means as long as Sun's up, it can run a decent mixed set, or a full on one sided attacking set since it doesn't have to use flying gem acrobatics anymore and has a pretty trolly speed tier. Outside of Spore, it now gets: Air Slash, Brave Bird, Seed Flare, Leaf Storm, Horn Leech... all of which can be useful.

As far as sleep moves go, let's not forget Lovely Kiss on all normal types and Marill/Azumarill. I agree with Bibarel being suspect; he's hard to stop without a Normal/Water resist after a Shell Smash.

SpartanMalice

Azumarill is banned for Under 450 anyway. See Eevee's post. Unless you mean regular STABMons, and Azu is better running SS and attacks.

I can see Granbull as a poor mans Ursaring and Tangela as a nice bulky threat in the sun with Chlorophyl or Regenerator, definitely in!

Granbull has intimidate, which actually gives it decent bulk (for the metagame), which allows it to have some of a niche over ursaring, even out of the 450 meta

EV

Banned deucer.
I think Granbull could be an Intimidate SS/Swords Dancer with a combination of ESpeed/Fire Punch/EQ/Close Combat/Crunch. Maybe even Toxic Orb Quick Feet with ESpeed/Façade stuff?
BTW, what coverage moves work well with 450 and below?

For Granbull's Normal resists:
There are still Ghosts (Rotom, Haunter, Misdreavus) so Crunch is important.
Side note: We have Scrappy Swellow (not as good as Guts, right?), Herdier and Loudred (but who will use those?).

Close Combat, EQ, and Fire Punch are choices for the Steels that might show up like Metang, Lairon, Klang, Mawile, and Ferroseed.

And I'm not too impressed with our selection of Rockmons, but I guess you could have fun with Rock Head Smash Graveler/Sudowoodo. Close Combat and EQ take them down, too.

Flying STAB is completely OP with these clauses, (Nothing good resists them only Klang I guess?) which means Swellow is really unhealthy for this tournament and should be banned. Another scary threat is Combusken who easily 2HKO's the whole tournament barring Lampent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)