Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
fat Red G said:
Wow, that new trailer looks impressive. The only thing that seems odd is the size of the playable character. When he's surfing, it looks like he is sitting on a small blue pillow. I expect it to be more fluid when actually playing the game, it likely only looks odd because I only saw a few seconds of it.
Geomancy and Oblivion Wing sure are getting a lot of speculation. I wonder if these attacks will use a new Gen 6 mechanic, of if they are being marketed simply because they are signature moves.
Actually, am I the only one here who received information that there would be major changes in game mechanics (battle)?
I thought Junichi said that. (Though it could be a leak.)
A lot of people from Asia are worrying about whether the formula for HP damage gets changed, or the modifications of critical hit/ weaknesses, etc.

Actually, am I the only one here who received information that there would be major changes in game mechanics (battle)?
I thought Junichi said that. (Though it could be a leak.)
A lot of people from Asia are worrying about whether the formula for HP damage gets changed, or the modifications of critical hit/ weaknesses, etc.
I seriously don't remember that EVER being said
Masuda's only ever mentioned the "bonds" thing where you could see them get stronger and that was likely Pokemon-amie

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Could you elaborate on the "A lot of people from Asia" part? It still baffles me why there are so few Japanese on Smogon, and I wonder if they've got their own competitive battling scene and if it differs from ours somehow.

As for the "new mechanic" thing, it has indeed been stated by Masuda that some new mechanic is coming. Though, what it could be is anybody's guess. He didn't exactly specify, though I suspect it would involve more than just changes to a formula or two. For casual play, or marketing purposes, that would hardly be worth bringing up.

Could you elaborate on the "A lot of people from Asia" part? It still baffles me why there are so few Japanese on Smogon, and I wonder if they've got their own competitive battling scene and if it differs from ours somehow.

As for the "new mechanic" thing, it has indeed been stated by Masuda that some new mechanic is coming. Though, what it could be is anybody's guess. He didn't exactly specify, though I suspect it would involve more than just changes to a formula or two. For casual play, or marketing purposes, that would hardly be worth bringing up.
This is probably the only thing of interest to me. Graphics improvements, although it's a huge improvement doesn't intrigue me as much as the mechanics of stats/gameplay. I feel that new mechanics are what keep the game feeling fresh. Gen 3 introduced evs and natures, so every stat couldn't be maximized providing customizable final stats. Gen 4 introduced physical/special split allowing type locked bad stat blended mons to flourish (arguably for the most part). However gen 5 kept the same mechanics...okay adding a few abilities, but gen 4 did that also. This was why I felt disappointed in bw/bw2, the same mechanics as gen 4. I'm really hoping for a new aspect to come though in x/y. And very interested in what they do with Hidden Power (fairy) mechanics and cross compatibility. If I could ask Masuda for one aspect I would like, it would be items/mini games to improve/modify ivs of any mon. That would bring so much ease in breeding and allow customizable and non permanent hidden powers. But best of all, it would actually encourage people to keep their starters in the first run even if they had horrible ivs, as you could change it.

Jynx is from Hong Kong iirc.

As for other locales having different sites/tiers/etc, yes, of course! It's not as though everyone can speak English, naturally, and even if they did, there are other English sites for competitive battling as well. I believe the Smogon analysis for Heracross in Gen III says [or used to say] that the Japanese banned Heracross in third gen, for example.

Could you elaborate on the "A lot of people from Asia" part? It still baffles me why there are so few Japanese on Smogon, and I wonder if they've got their own competitive battling scene and if it differs from ours somehow..
....yes
of course it does

they have their own wikis and tier lists and everything. Smogon is not the center of the competitive universe
I am pretty sure this was referring to Pokemon-amie. The one thing I remember Masuda talking about was the "bonds" thing and well

"A new battle mechanism that allows your Pokémon to become even more powerful when the bonds you share grow stronger."

That is the translated line from Masuda's January blog entry that must be getting the asian fanbase in a tizzy. Funny enough, most everything that Masuda hinted towards back in January was revealed through either CoroCoro or his own announcement videos, not counting a rich story and good music, which we're going to be left to learn about for ourselves. Thanks, marketing team :D

"A new battle mechanism that allows your Pokémon to become even more powerful when the bonds you share grow stronger."

That is the translated line from Masuda's January blog entry that must be getting the asian fanbase in a tizzy. Funny enough, most everything that Masuda hinted towards back in January was revealed through either CoroCoro or his own announcement videos, not counting a rich story and good music, which we're going to be left to learn about for ourselves. Thanks, marketing team :D
Anybody feel that horde battles are just added to make ev training faster, seeing as how (for the most part) all the pokemon are the same and low level? Which is why I think that the "new battle mechanism that allows your pokemon to become even more powerful" is horde battles.
In horde battles of all zubat, I can get any pokemon from 0 evs to 250 speed evs with pokerus and power anklet, in only five battles!

But I have no idea about that "bonding" aspect's effect in battle.

Bonding.
Pokémon Amie, where you pet, feed and play with your Pokémon to get a smile out of them.
That's bonding if I've ever seen it (in a vidya game.)
Amie's usefulness in battle (if it has any usefulness) can still be speculated, since its functions have yet to be explained or specified.

Bonding.
Pokémon Amie, where you pet, feed and play with your Pokémon to get a smile out of them.
Amie's usefulness in battle (if it has any usefulness) can still be speculated, since its functions have yet to be explained or specified.
The official site actually did confirm what the IGN guy said, at least
The more you play with your Pokémon, the friendlier they will become. As your Pokémon becomes more friendly, it may perform better in battle—by avoiding opponents’ attacks, landing critical hits, and more!
Probably not too much of a stretch to say it also ups happiness & accuracy.

The official site actually did confirm what the IGN guy said, at least

Probably not too much of a stretch to say it also ups happiness & accuracy.
Forgot about the IGN guy. And while the website says that it could improve your Pokémon's survivability in battle, my point is that it doesn't go into any real detail about the functions/processes used to increase your Pokémon's new evasion/critical hit rate...if there is a new equation for evasion and criticals, instead of the effects of Amie just being added on to the traditional equations. It's just "if you use it, you'll do better in battle!" And I'm like "broad statement is too broad". Even after the trailer that showcased Amie, we can see that there's feeding, petting and imitations, but what do each of those functions do? How much of a combination of those do you need to increase either the critical hit rate or the dodge rate if a combination is necessary? Are there other tools/functions? I'm mostly curious because they've given enough pre-release information about the PSS and Photo spots. They'll go over all the communicative MMO-esque features but they won't go into relatively explicit detail about the new features for raising Pokémon?
I don't wanna wait until I get the game to know more, I'd much rather be interrogative.

I do like Pokémon Amié (As I liked mixing Poffins), because it makes more sense in 'training your Pokémon to become powerful' than killing a bunch of Basculins.

I just hope it's more than feeding and fondling (God, that sounds wrong) your Pokémon.

I just hope it's more than feeding and fondling your Pokémon.
Don't forget imitating their actions.
Bonding.
For some reason... I'm getting this horrible vibe that they're going to replace accuracy in moves period... but I'm sure I'm wrong, that's just too crazy, even for GF.

(Not "full" size for obvious reasons) Now, from those "islands" that we saw the Smash team explore to find an Inkay, I can only see 2 possible locations for that spot on the Kalos region map.
kalos_region_map_thumb.jpg

The southwest location looks to be the more probable area for that battle considering the difference in the amount of sand there. Looking at the levels, this might be around the 5th gym, a normal time to already have Surf.

P.S I'm gonna be uploading an HD playthrough of Pokémon X on release date.... in case anyone would have liked to know.

Cresselia~~

I'll try hard to locate the source. Including Junichi's twitters.

By "A lot of people from Asia" I refer to people from Hong Kong Pokemon Alliance, and other people from Mainland Chinese forums.
I forgot where we first saw it, but we are told so and are speculating it.

Japanese people are generally not proficient in English because they don't learn it until late primary school. The older generation even only start to learn English in Middle School. English is also viewed as an unimportant subject.
It is also particularly notable that the difference in the 2 languages also hinders one's ability to learn English.
For example, I'm from Hong Kong who went to an English primary school, a place that taught most subjects in English, and that students could choose between Chinese or French as a subject. However, as you can probably notice, my English is still not very smooth-- but mine's already considered as above average due to my education and that a lot of my neighbours were not Chinese.
On the other hand, it can take a Westerner like 5 years to learn Japanese to get into a standard of what a Hongkonger can reach in like a few months.

Anyway, Japanese battling strategies do differ a lot from what you have here on Smogon. They seem to be very good at predicting possible switches, as seen on Niconico (they prefer Niconico over Youtube) Usually they can correctly guess when the opponent opts for a switch, and they can hit the new Pokemon with a super effective move right during the switch.
This trait is not observed in Hong Kong battles nor Chinese battles, where they like to waste turns by dive/ fly on defensive Pokemon (e.g. Jellicent and Drifblim) in order to consume the opponent's pp and trigger a struggle.
People in China usually uses PBO (Pokemon Battle Online) which is a little bit like Shoddy Battle, or other older versions Smogon used to have.
However, not many people from Hong Kong use it because of the writing is different. I think Hong Kong POkemon Alliance still bans it, as they think that it's copyright infringement.

(Not "full" size for obvious reasons) Now, from those "islands" that we saw the Smash team explore to find an Inkay, I can only see 2 possible locations for that spot on the Kalos region map.
View attachment 447
The southwest location looks to be the more probable area for that battle considering the difference in the amount of sand there. Looking at the levels, this might be around the 5th gym, a normal time to already have Surf.
Yeah, it's most probably the southwest location. Looks much more like a beach. Regarding Surf, though, looking at the map for the Kalos region there are a lot of rivers. I think we're looking at various river routes. That could be a reason why the Surf speed is really fast (I thought it looked faster than Gen V watching the trailer, but Idk). I hope they turned down the wild encounter rate on water if that's the case, though. It's definitely a lot different than the previous regions and I'm excited to learn more about it.

Also, do we know where the starting city is on the map yet?

Looking at the levels, this might be around the 5th gym, a normal time to already have Surf.
The whole map looks like there are lot of water routes on it. Maybe we might get surf much more earlier than before.Than we can get pokemon that can only be obtained with surf more earlier.That would be pretty good.
Sorry about the long absence;got caught up with a lot of work.

Also, do we know where the starting city is on the map yet?
That would be Vaniville Town (Located on the bottom right corner of the map- two blue buildings and two brown buildings).

Did anyone notice the Gym Leaders' pictures on the Official Site? Their "... challenged you" pictures have their respective badges on the background.

Grant is probably the Rock type gym leader, and Clemont an Electric type.

Also, the species for several other Pokemon have also been revealed (Not that it matters a lot): http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/pokemon/other_pokemon/ with the most noteworthy being Sylveon, "Intertwining Pokémon."

Reactions: PoJ
Also, the species for several other Pokemon have also been revealed (Not that it matters a lot): http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/pokemon/other_pokemon/ with the most noteworthy being Sylveon, "Intertwining Pokémon."
I think it was confirmed long ago in serebi.net.
Did anyone notice the Gym Leaders' pictures on the Official Site? Their "... challenged you" pictures have their respective badges on the background.
Yes I noticed them the first time the screen shots where released.

Regarding the map layout, I'm curious as to why the Pokedex is split into three. That is to say, is it simply because they're filling the region up with many Pokemon, or are there more routes and areas in the region than is apparent looking at the map (which makes Kalos look quite small)? I suppose we'll find out eventually :v

Regarding the map layout, I'm curious as to why the Pokedex is split into three. That is to say, is it simply because they're filling the region up with many Pokemon, or are there more routes and areas in the region than is apparent looking at the map (which makes Kalos look quite small)? I suppose we'll find out eventually :v

Well, regarding this.. I think the color schemes in the dex are subtle clues to the location of Yveltal in Mountain Kalos and Xerneas in Coastal Kalos. Makes you wonder if the Z Legendary, if any, will be in Central Kalos and if it it'll be Grey/White in color.

Cresselia~~

That would be Vaniville Town (Located on the bottom right corner of the map- two blue buildings and two brown buildings).

Grant is probably the Rock type gym leader, and Clemont an Electric type.

I kind of like how nearly every electric Pokemon trainer is blond...

To be frank, when the CoroCoro posts mentioned that Clemont had "robotic hands", I was disappointed when I figured out they weren't cyborg hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)