Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, he did say "nearly".

also i thought Clemont is an Electric-type gym leader when i first saw him just because he had a lightning bolt in his hair lol

For some reason... I'm getting this horrible vibe that they're going to replace accuracy in moves period... but I'm sure I'm wrong, that's just too crazy, even for GF.
Nothing even remotely hints towards this happening.

Wattson ... ?
To be fair, he has grey hair so he could have been blond when he was younger.

The official site actually did confirm what the IGN guy said, at least

Probably not too much of a stretch to say it also ups happiness & accuracy.
Is it possible that Pokemon-amie is just a quicker way to raise happiness and that happiness now raises the above stats? I don't know, the "As your Pokémon becomes more friendly, it may perform better in battle" kind of sticks out to me.

Did anyone notice the Gym Leaders' pictures on the Official Site? Their "... challenged you" pictures have their respective badges on the background.
Also, the species for several other Pokemon have also been revealed (Not that it matters a lot): http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/pokemon/other_pokemon/ with the most noteworthy being Sylveon, "Intertwining Pokémon."
Actually, now that you mention it, I skimmed over Malamar's description on that page. "Malamar looks different from Inkay and has different stats, but its Contrary ability remains the same." Now, I didn't pay too much attention to that since I thought, "uh.... yeah... it evolved.... so its stats increase." But then I thought about Inkay/Malamar's whole gimmick, and I thought, "Is its base stats going to swap?!" Like, Def switching with SpDef?

Actually, now that you mention it, I skimmed over Malamar's description on that page. "Malamar looks different from Inkay and has different stats, but its Contrary ability remains the same." Now, I didn't pay too much attention to that since I thought, "uh.... yeah... it evolved.... so its stats increase." But then I thought about Inkay/Malamar's whole gimmick, and I thought, "Is its base stats going to swap?!" Like, Def switching with SpDef?
I'd say that's unlikely, since Inkay most likely has low-level base stats (being NFE), and giving Malamar the same defenses as that would make it useless. It's quite possible that is stats could change from a being generally defensive to generally offensive (or vice versa), though. This isn't unprecedented either; Breloom went from the more defensive Shroomish to the glass cannon that we all know in OU.

Based on this video, Honedge seems to have an incredibly low HP base stat. Even Gardevoir (base 65) have 85 hp at that level with 1 IV

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Anyway, Japanese battling strategies do differ a lot from what you have here on Smogon. They seem to be very good at predicting possible switches, as seen on Niconico (they prefer Niconico over Youtube) Usually they can correctly guess when the opponent opts for a switch, and they can hit the new Pokemon with a super effective move right during the switch.
This trait is not observed in Hong Kong battles nor Chinese battles, where they like to waste turns by dive/ fly on defensive Pokemon (e.g. Jellicent and Drifblim) in order to consume the opponent's pp and trigger a struggle.
People in China usually uses PBO (Pokemon Battle Online) which is a little bit like Shoddy Battle, or other older versions Smogon used to have.
However, not many people from Hong Kong use it because of the writing is different. I think Hong Kong POkemon Alliance still bans it, as they think that it's copyright infringement.
A very interesting subject indeed. I feel it warrants a little more discussion (though obviously not here), what we can learn from "overseas" battlers and their prevalent strategies.

As for Inkay and Malamar... I wouldn't read too much into their "topsy-turviness" when it comes to stats. Perhaps it will be referenced somehow, but base stats are a little too obscure for most people to get the joke. Swapping stats is one thing (it will always never reflect in the actual stats unless the EV/IV system is deliberately overhauled or bypassed to physically swap one stat with another upon evolution), but I think a more likely take on the matter would be reversing the actual numbers of the base stats. Base 69 HP turning to base 96, or 37 to 73, or... you get the picture. Still, quite an obscure thing to do, seeing as the base stats are only hidden constants in formulas never displayed to the player.

Deleted User 33526

Banned deucer.
A very interesting subject indeed. I feel it warrants a little more discussion (though obviously not here), what we can learn from "overseas" battlers and their prevalent strategies.

As for Inkay and Malamar... I wouldn't read too much into their "topsy-turviness" when it comes to stats. Perhaps it will be referenced somehow, but base stats are a little too obscure for most people to get the joke. Swapping stats is one thing (it will always never reflect in the actual stats unless the EV/IV system is deliberately overhauled or bypassed to physically swap one stat with another upon evolution), but I think a more likely take on the matter would be reversing the actual numbers of the base stats. Base 69 HP turning to base 96, or 37 to 73, or... you get the picture. Still, quite an obscure thing to do, seeing as the base stats are only hidden constants in formulas never displayed to the player.
But there is Spiritomb whose base stats reflect part of its lore, so it is possible that they would do that.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Spiritomb

I'd say that's unlikely, since Inkay most likely has low-level base stats (being NFE), and giving Malamar the same defenses as that would make it useless. It's quite possible that is stats could change from a being generally defensive to generally offensive (or vice versa), though. This isn't unprecedented either; Breloom went from the more defensive Shroomish to the glass cannon that we all know in OU.
I meant it as the higher of the 2 defenses would be the lowest. For example, if Inkay had 40 base Def and 60 base SpDef, on evolution, Malamar's defenses would be 90 base Def and 70 base SpDef.

Though I like Cobraroll's take on it better.

wait

what are they then

they look cyborgy to me

do you mean he still has human hands too

Yeah. I was expecting a Terminator-like hand. I mean, it's not the darkest thing GF will do. They've done much worse, like Lavender Town.

On another news, the Nintendo 3DS E-shop has added pictures of the dual-screen interface for the game. Just the design changes.

breh

強いだね
Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

An interface that doesn't look ugly?

Regardless, no matter what, the next interface will be much prettier and will make this one look really bad. This happens with every game dpp on, unforunately :/

The return of the small sprites makes me wonder, actually: will we get larger boxes to accomodate the larger size of the 3ds screens?

I don't know what the new battle system that Masuda mentioned, but I wish items can be switched during battle. It's a small alteration that will bring about a huge change in the Metagame. Well whatever it is, I hope it's a complete overhaul of the existing system. A fresh start, if you will.

I don't know what the new battle system that Masuda mentioned, but I wish items can be switched during battle. It's a small alteration that will bring about a huge change in the Metagame. Well whatever it is, I hope it's a complete overhaul of the existing system. A fresh start, if you will.
I'm really glad they didn't, since it'd either never be used or OP, depending on how it works. Besides, the whole point of items is that you keep an item per Pokemon and it sticks for the entire battle, since X Attacks and Y Defenses potions (Wonder Launcher) exist for a reason.

Did
Yeah. I was expecting a Terminator-like hand. I mean, it's not the darkest thing GF will do. They've done much worse, like Lavender Town.

On another news, the Nintendo 3DS E-shop has added pictures of the dual-screen interface for the game. Just the design changes.
Didn't like this DPP-ish interface, those whole colored teletubbies button are not so cool like BW minimal interface was. Hope they release skin for this like C-Gear!

I really like how polished the sprite icons look for Pancham and Talonflame. Going along with old discussions, I bet that older Pokemon's icons will also be updated with the new graphics, like we've discussed about the polished looking Zigzagoon icon.

Hope they release skin for this like C-Gear!

That's a neat idea, actually. I also think the interface doesn't go well with the 3DS environment. How could they make such amazing 3D models, but slip up in the interface? Maybe the final product will be different. We'll see.

I haven't read the discussion full, but has the NewMew topic been done already? For some reason, I keep thinking that it has something to do with AmberTwo. I know, it's a dropped subject, and they'll probably never bring it up again. It just occured to me when I first saw Mewtwo talking in a female voice in the trailer. Yes, many say that it's because of the change in the voice actor, but why would they change Mewtwo's canon gender (From the movie, not the games)? Also, in the anime special showing NewMew's backstory, it was hinted that a new Mewtwo (Independent from the one in Movie 1) was created, once again in a DNA experiment, and left for dead by the scientists. It's a very different story. It feels like this Mewtwo can change formes, but the one from the first movie can't. Maybe I'm thinking too much, but if anyone can translate the anime special, it'd be of great help.

That's a neat idea, actually. I also think the interface doesn't go well with the 3DS environment. How could they make such amazing 3D models, but slip up in the interface? Maybe the final product will be different. We'll see.
So... what would "go well with the 3ds environment" exactly

Also that is probably the final product
I haven't read the discussion full, but has the NewMew topic been done already? For some reason, I keep thinking that it has something to do with AmberTwo. I know, it's a dropped subject, and they'll probably never bring it up again. It just occured to me when I first saw Mewtwo talking in a female voice in the trailer. Yes, many say that it's because of the change in the voice actor, but why would they change Mewtwo's canon gender (From the movie, not the games)? Also, in the anime special showing NewMew's backstory, it was hinted that a new Mewtwo (Independent from the one in Movie 1) was created, once again in a DNA experiment, and left for dead by the scientists. It's a very different story. It feels like this Mewtwo can change formes, but the one from the first movie can't. Maybe I'm thinking too much, but if anyone can translate the anime special, it'd be of great help.
You're pretty much right
The Mewtwo in the movie & special isn't the same mewtwo as the one from the first movie. Its a new one made by new scientists unrelated to Team Rocket. This is likely why she(??) can change forme but the other couldn't.

100% unrealted to Amerbtwo, however

If I may, I'd like to propose a theory for X and Y.

I think Froakie's final evolution will be Water/Fighting for one reason: Journey to the West, specifically Sha Wujing. I think Froakie could theoretically evolve into whatever Sha is supposed to be. And GameFreak has already done the other two disciples, so why stop there?

So... what would "go well with the 3ds environment" exactly

Also that is probably the final product

I think so too, but I would hope they make skins or at least a palette for that battle screen. Anyways, that would be so non-Nintendo...

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
For the new battle mechanics part, though I can't locate the original source, Nintendojo said the same thing back in January, and cites the original source to Masuda's twitter.
http://www.nintendojo.com/news/news...r-offers-vague-new-details-on-pokemon-x-and-y

The reason why I can't locate the original tweet is, the tweet should be from January or earlier.
I read that even registered users can't search stuff by date? Is that true? (I don't use Twitter)
Anyway, if anyone can provide a quick way to search Masuda's January posts, I would appreciate, and do the translations later.

However, a staff from the Hong Kong league suggested that the "new battle mechanics" could refer to hoard battles and Poke Amie, though it is more likely to suggest a change in formula or modifiers.

If I may, I'd like to propose a theory for X and Y.

I think Froakie's final evolution will be Water/Fighting for one reason: Journey to the West, specifically Sha Wujing. I think Froakie could theoretically evolve into whatever Sha is supposed to be. And GameFreak has already done the other two disciples, so why stop there?
Ah... that's possible, especially the bubbles/ foams kind of look like his beard.
And considering that despite Unova was supposed to be New York, the 3 starters were based on European (Snivy), Japanese (Oshawott) and Chinese (Tepig) influences. (according to interviews.)
So it's possible that they will do it again.

Ah... that's possible, especially the bubbles/ foams kind of look like his beard.
And considering that despite Unova was supposed to be New York, the 3 starters were based on European (Snivy), Japanese (Oshawott) and Chinese (Tepig) influences. (according to interviews.)
So it's possible that they will do it again.
Sha Wujing was a water buffalo demon of some sort...I'm not saying that Game Freak has to follow their own trends to a T, but I would have expected them to make yet another Fire/Fighting starter who'd be a bison/buffalo.

According to the interviews, yes, the Unova starters are very varied in their inspiration, but I can't help thinking that, as a group, they were made with some subtle French Canadadian humor in mind. Snivy is very FRENCHY, Tepig is essentially BACON that cooks himself, and Oshawott is an OTTER whose name sounds a lot like OSHAWA. What's not awfully far away from Oshawa? New York City.

I think the Gen VI starters all have some slight Italian theming, since Italy has many cities that became well known for textile/fabric manufacturing. Chespin has a fancy hat, Froakie's bubbles resemble a cotton/fur lined collar, and Roberto Cavalli is the first Italian designer off the top of my head who's made popular fox fur coats before, so that's Fennekin for you (or for me, really, but I'm probably just seeing patterns that I want to see)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)