Sandstorm kicking up again (Smogon Doubles)

Hi and welcome to another Smogon Doubles team.
After running my Already Nervous team I wanted to try something other then Trick Room.
Also a new type of weather. But that wasn't the only reason. LieLoom was annoying the crap outta me and needed a counter to that, at least a check. So someone told me to use Prankster Thundurus. And I started building:

My LieLoom check. Also my Taunter and Paralysis spreader. Prankster was a must for this team. Allowing me to stop Trick Room from setting up and Taunting Pokemon for the incoming Will O Wisp to cripple my ally's.

With Thundurus on my team I needed something to avoid those Rock Slides and Blizzards coming my way. So after Thundurus I added Hitmontop.

Hitmontop saved me many times. He was a great supporter: Fake Out, Intimidate support and also Wide Guard support. He didn't only support Thundurus but also my other members of my team with his Wide Guard support.

With his Psychic weakness I needed something to tank that so my lovely Cresselia came back in mind. But a little different then before.

Like I said before I dropped my old Cresselia and went for offensive Cresselia and it works great. Allowing me to OHKO 252/0 Scizor in his face without Occa Berry.

Speaking of Scizor:

I got this Red Beast from Nugget Bridge. It's just like Cybertron's Scizor but a different spread to make it bulkier. Also Scizor enjoyed Wide Guard support due incoming Heat Waves and other Spread Special attacks like Surf, Muddy Water and stuff.

Where is the Storm you may ask? Now here it is. Again a member that enjoyed Wide Guard support from Top and also the Intimidate support. He has caught many people off guard:

After Rain I wanted to try Sand. with Thundurus, Hitmontop, Cresselia and Scizor as solid Team members I was able to sweep with this thing. The suprise: Choice Scarf. Together with Thundurus his Prankster Thunder Wave and Tyranitar his Rock Slide I was able to ParaFlinch through a game.

A last Dragon to complete this stuff:

Chompy was great for a late game sweep with Helping Hand from Cresselia spamming Earthquake all the way. Lets take a closer look on the team.

@ Electric Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SAtk / 204 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Taunt and Thunder Wave I already explained. Electric Gem Thunderbolt allows me to OHKO Kingdra after I used Thunder Waved it. Hidden Power Ice for Dragons, 4x weak to Ice and the famous BoltBeam. EVs to live a Dragon Gem Draco Meteor from Latios 100% of the time. 20 speed EVs to outspeed Jolly Cloyster iirc, thanks to Blank_Zero for that.

My Second Lead:

@ Fighting Gem
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 126 HP / 132 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Wide Guard

I already explained his function on the team. EVs to speedcreep Modest Rotom formes thanks to Audiosurfer and LagaLaga. Fighting Gem Close Combat OHKO's Terrakion, Tyranitar and Ferrothorn. Also nearly OHKO's Scizor with 252 HP EVs.

@ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 132 Spd / 124 HP
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand

Offensive Cress. Expert Belt to power up Super Effective hits like Hidden Power [Fire] for Scizor and Ferro. Psychock as STAB and also to punish those Fighting types that stay in on me thinking that I'm Sitrus Berry Cresselia. Icy Wind for Speed control.

@ Steel Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 236 HP / 164 Atk / 20 Def / 84 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Protect

This is a set from NuggetBridge. It works amazing. Gets around the Cybertron Scizors I fave a lot and this one is a lot more bulky. Standard moveset on Scizor. At +2 this thing is amazing and goes for the kill. I even OHKOed a Ninetales with +2 Helping Hand Steel Gem Bullet Punch. Here is also a nice mention for Hitmontop being able to stop Heat Waves aimed at Scizor.
NuggetBridge: http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/punches-of-steel-jranks-2013-u-s-nationals-report/

@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Rock Slide

Yes another NuggetBridge set. When I was reading that report that Tyranitar was just what I needed. The power and most of the time the suprise factor caught many people off guard. All round typecoverage and able to ParaFlinch together with Thundurus his Thunder Wave. Wide Guard protected me against incoming Surfs, Muddy Waters and Earthquakes.
Nuggetbridge: http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/punches-of-steel-jranks-2013-u-s-nationals-report/

@ Yache Berry
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Protect

Last but not least. My own Dragon. Used to kill Metagross and Heatran but is also able to KO every other Dragon after a Icy Wind from Cresselia. Substitute for dodging Intimidate and another Ice attack.

This is where you see the full potential of the team:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-42048180

Last edited:
You are aware that nuggetbridge sets are designed for use at level 50, not level 100. I'd advise you do some damage calcs and modify the EVs so that they avoid/achieve the KOs they are supposed to.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, I'm so bad at these....

Nice team dude :]]]

Having played this a few times though one of the main problems i saw with it was a big weakness to water and ice and with icy winds and surfs flying around everywhere this is pretty horrible.

I'm a fan of having different types of speed control for diversity but i personally think that when icy wind and thunder wave is being used sustainability is more important than power which is why i think sitrus berry cress is superior to ebelt, especially in sand. Possibly yache berry for thundy.

Another thing that holds this team back is the fact that ttar and chomp are used as late game cleaners. When i faced you, this played into my hands as you weren't able to EQ with chomp and secure some KOs because ttar would be destroyed as well. I'd suggest either changing your ttar's item (but i quite like the scarf, it did, as you say, catch me off guard) to something like rock gem or replace chomp with a different cleaner. one idea i have is Heatran. Heat wave from tran is of similar power to eq chomp but doesn't threaten your ttar. Heatran also has access to dragon pulse (obviously hp ice can be used) and will also outspeed every dragon after an icy wind. switching a 4x weakness to ice for a 4x resistance is pretty nice as well, freeing up an item slot for balloon or shucca berry or maybe even passho berry.

I dunno dude, i almost never post on these so sorry if these aren't great suggestions.

Hi, nice team. I'd like to suggest some more optimal EVs and pokemon choices.

Thundurus -> 196 HP / 236 SDef / 52 Spd / 20 SAtk / 4 Def Calm still lets you live a Gem DM and lets you speed creep 252 Jolly 'loom to help counter them better.

Cress: I would only use 120 Speed EVs. Those enable you to speed creep 252 Timid Latios after hitting them with an Icy Wind.

Tyranitar: In my opinion, only 228 Speed EVs are necessary to outspeed 252 Timid Thundurus with your Scarf boost. You can put the rest into Attack.

Garchomp: I would change him to Landorus-T. He's almost always better. Higher base Attack, fantastic ability in Intimidate, basically walls Breloom and isn't weak to Dragon types. He also has similar typing so that your synergy isn't effected.

Hi, nice team. I'd like to suggest some more optimal EVs and pokemon choices.

Thundurus -> 196 HP / 236 SDef / 52 Spd / 20 SAtk / 4 Def Calm still lets you live a Gem DM and lets you speed creep 252 Jolly 'loom to help counter them better.
Actually, only 20 speed EVs are needed to outspeed base 70's like Cloyster, Breloom, and Politoed. You forget the level difference.

Also, only 252/196 Calm is needed on Thundy. Let's it live Kyurem's Blizzard/Ice Beam, as well as TTar's Rock Slide. Giving it an Electric Gem is a good move to give it the extra boost. I personally prefer Sitrus berry to give it an extra life, but to each their own.

ScarfTar is really cool. You might also try Sash DDance Tar, as it gets the extra power and a one time assurance against Gem CC, plus it can boost its power after Intimidate, thus limiting how often you have to switch out.

Offensive Cress is pretty awesome, and highly under-utilized. I haven't tried it much myself, so I'll refrain from talking too much about it.

Garchomp could be replaced by Lando-T, sure, but that makes you Defiant bait. Something like SubPro Terrakion or even Excadrill (you're already using sand) could make for a much better late game cleaner.

Find me on IRC and I can help you go over your spreads in more detail, as they look a lot like VGC lvl 50 spreads and can probably be more efficient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)