Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope the other condition for MegaEvolution is something simple and not additional nerfing. I'm optimistic because they only allow you to have one MegaPokemon in battle. That implies that they're powerful. Maybe the additional condition is a level requirement or effort point maximization requirement. Hmmm, now that I think about it the "Tower of Mastery" could be related to "Super Training" and to MegaEvolution. It is located in the same city as the gym leader that knows about MegaEvolution. Evolution beyond evolution implies mastery. Pokemon that are capable of MegaEvolution might be able to do so in battle once they're at the final stage of Evolution, achieved an "effort ribbon" and hold the appropriate stone in battle. Since they're making EVs more visible this generation it'd actually be a really neat and thoughtful idea to reward players with a temporary form change for maxing EVs. A different kind of training = a different kind of evolution. Experience points = Evolution, Effort points = MegaEvolution. Just as not all Pokemon evolve even if their levels are maxed, not all Pokemon can MegaEvolve when their EVs are maxed. I think this is it!

I have a few more questions. What exactly does the limitation to one MegaPokemon in battle mean? It could mean that only one Pokemon per team is allowed to MegaEvolve at a time or only one per team throughout the entire battle. In the former case, your MegaAbsol would MegaEvolve when sent out once your MegaMawile which already transformed fainted. In the latter case the first Pokemon which MegaEvolved would prevent any of the others equipped with MegaStones from changing for the duration of the battle. In both cases the disadvantage of having multiple pokemon equipped with a MegaStone would be that those than don't transform would essentially be holding useless items. Though in the first case you could have a parade of MegaPokemon if you never switch but allow each to fight until it faints.

The other question relates to MegaEvolutions learning moves their ordinary forms don't. Will that happen and if so how? Since they only transform in battle you can't directly teach them moves outside of battle. I could imagine them learning a 'MegaMove' the way the rotom formes gain a move upon transformation. Would they replace a distinguished new move learned by the ordinary form (think XD shadow moves), always replace the last move or fill any empty move slot? The thing that got me thinking about this is the revelation that MegaAmpharos can use Dragon Pulse. The simplest explanation is that it becomes a move ordinary Ampharos can learn in XY. Otherwise, there will have to be a way for it to learn it upon MegaEvolving.

This is an intriguing new mechanic and is clearly the 'big thing' of this generation.

Last edited:
Personally I'm hoping for MEvos to be given to the more unlikely pokemon rather than the OU and Uber behemoths we're used to which was why I was pretty pleased when I saw Mawile Ampharos and Absol receive them.

Miltank, Gallade, Arbok, Lapras, Ariados etc - the more pokemon that can be given a new lease of life the better in my opinion, just like Dream World abilities did for other pokemon in Gen V,

Personally I'm hoping for MEvos to be given to the more unlikely pokemon rather than the OU and Uber behemoths we're used to which was why I was pretty pleased when I saw Mawile Ampharos and Absol receive them.

Miltank, Gallade, Arbok, Lapras, Ariados etc - the more pokemon that can be given a new lease of life the better in my opinion, just like Dream World abilities did for other pokemon in Gen V,
They should give Mega-evos to ALL pokémon that cannot evolve, either because they are fully evolved or because they aren't part of an evolutionary line

Leaving Mega-evos to only certain pokémon is nowhere near a good idea

(I do expect the weaker pokémon get the better Mega-evos, though)

I'm curious why everyone thinks EV training is this long journey that takes 24 hours to do? Axew horde battle, power brace, pokerus. You get 10 atk evs per axew, that's 50 atk evs in one horde battle. In 6 horde battles you reached 255 atk evs....that takes less than 10 mins. Unless they completely changed the evs sytem by increasing the total number of evs to be higher than 510 or wild pokemon not granting evs anymore, I see no point in using super training over macho brace/pkrs ev training.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what section of the post you quoted implies that EV training takes 24 hours.
Anyway, Super Training will be another way to gain EVs like Vitamins.
Options are fun.

I'm not sure what section of the post you quoted implies that EV training takes 24 hours.
Anyway, Super Training will be another way to gain EVs like Vitamins.
Options are fun.
Sorry I'm not really replying to your quote, its more a observation not specifically at you, but your comment sort of gave me the feeling that EV training is rewarding. But I'm just saying that you could finish ev training in less than 15 min with horde battles, that doesn't seem very rewarding if it's that easy. Its also something that's bothering me...how is super training better than macho brace/power items/pkrs ev training in terms of efficiency not fun. It would have to give more than 50 evs per mini game to be more useful than macho brace/power items/pkrs ev training. But then you could finish ev training in less than 10 min....it sort of strikes me as wierd that it's too easy unless gamefreak did something new to the ev system.

Last edited:
We have no idea how common Horde battles are or if they function differently when it comes to EV

and even putting all of that aside, there's still the fact that you have to grind out for the power items and get lucky on pokerus

We have no idea how common Horde battles are or if they function differently when it comes to EV

and even putting all of that aside, there's still the fact that you have to grind out for the power items and get lucky on pokerus
I see your point. But in BW you got macho brace in Nimbasa City and if you do subway battles 16BP for power items are pretty easily accessible, fairly early. Gen 3 before the 3rd gym.

There are ways to speed up EV training (like Rare Candies for levelling) but in its basic form it can be quite time consuming.
On a totally unrelated note, will a Parental Bond Work Up be equivalent to a Sunny Growth? Cool, but I wonder.
A double protect certainly doesn't make sense and double Substitute barely does.
I think it's possible that the double attack will only apply to damaging moves.

There are ways to speed up EV training (like Rare Candies for levelling) but in its basic form it can be quite time consuming.
On a totally unrelated note, will a Parental Bond Work Up be equivalent to a Sunny Growth? Cool, but I wonder.
A double protect certainly doesn't make sense and double Substitute barely does.
I think it's possible that the double attack will only apply to damaging moves.
I think the second attack does half damage, so its like kangaskhan has STAB on everything other than normal which is more powerful, and able to break substitutes and sashes. Yeah only attacking moves though, I feel, it doesn't make sense if it did double substitute or protect.

I think the second attack does half damage, so its like kangaskhan has STAB on everything other than normal which is more powerful, and able to break substitutes and sashes. Yeah only attacking moves though, I feel, it doesn't make sense if it did double substitute or protect.
Yeah, half damage sounds reasonable. That's my expectation too. It's still a neat ability.
It seems from the one grainy video we have that the child's attack is second.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your point. But in BW you got macho brace in Nimbasa City and if you do subway battles 16BP for power items are pretty easily accessible, fairly early. Gen 3 before the 3rd gym.
You still have to grind out the BP per power item (and before beating the e4 you only have access to the terrible BP-wise line) and even on the easy line that can be obnoxious to do since sometimes the Subway (or PWT in BW2) just wins.

Is it possible we'll be getting more info when corocoro releases tomorrow, or do the leaks hold all the info we'll get?

Is it possible we'll be getting more info when corocoro releases tomorrow, or do the leaks hold all the info we'll get?
CoroCoro has already come out

Our next batch of information will be mostly mechancis we can gleam from the demos this Friday/Saturday (TIME ZONES!), namely:
-Roughly how much Mega Evolutions effect stats
-The criteria for Mega Evolutions activating
-Fairy type match ups assuming Mawile is in the demo (!!!!!!!!!!)

They should give Mega-evos to ALL pokémon that cannot evolve, either because they are fully evolved or because they aren't part of an evolutionary line

Leaving Mega-evos to only certain pokémon is nowhere near a good idea

(I do expect the weaker pokémon get the better Mega-evos, though)
And when everyone's super, no one will be...

I kinda hope that we don't get too many Megalutions. I want a good amount to be sure, but I still want them to be something unique. I also doubt pokemon with megalutions will ever get regular evolutions, which kinda makes me want them to stay away from pokemon I want evolutions for.

Also there's a data limit on the cards, so I'm not sure it would even fit.

And when everyone's super, no one will be...

I kinda hope that we don't get too many Megalutions. I want a good amount to be sure, but I still want them to be something unique. I also doubt pokemon with megalutions will ever get regular evolutions, which kinda makes me want them to stay away from pokemon I want evolutions for.

Also there's a data limit on the cards, so I'm not sure it would even fit.
You can't really complain about data issues anymore, since it was officially revealed that the game is 1.7 gigabytes. We know how big it is.

Plus even if they decide to add more (which would be relatively small in the first place), the basic carts can go to 2 GB and there are carts that can go to 8GB for future games

Ah, I didn't know they already released the size. I knew the cards could get pretty big, but I'm impressed that it all fits within 2 gigs. I thought the 700+ 3D Pokemon models would take up a lot more space, not to mention trainers and world map.

I think that the fact that they did reveal an official file size for the game does mean they're pretty much done with developing the game, and any further changes to it will probably be bug fixes after play testing and other small additions that will probably take up mere kilobytes of data.

I don't really see DLC happening for X and Y or even online updates really. It would just cause too many design problems. What happens if a player battles another player that has a Pokemon the other player hasn't downloaded yet, yada yada yada. Plus, all of the downloaded content would have to be stored on the SD card obviously which makes it pretty inconvenient for a lot of people. What if you had a downloaded Pokemon in your party and you took the SD card out? Would it go away? These are just some basic examples.

I don't really see DLC happening for X and Y or even online updates really. It would just cause too many design problems. What happens if a player battles another player that has a Pokemon the other player hasn't downloaded yet, yada yada yada.
The game would likely either force an update/add it to the connected game (See: Animal Crossing), have a placeholder it could apply things to (see: Fire Emblem), act as a temporary "master" (see: Emerald, Platinum, BW2), or in an absolute worst case scenario prevent the Pokemon from going against the player. (See: NSMB2's DLC levels, to an extent)
Plus, all of the downloaded content would have to be stored on the SD card obviously which makes it pretty inconvenient for a lot of people.
The SD Card is in there the entire time and this didn't really stop other games from having their fair share of DLC.
What if you had a downloaded Pokemon in your party and you took the SD card out? Would it go away? These are just some basic examples.
I haven't messed with this (why are you removing the SD Card with all the important stuff in it and then playing the game, anyway), but I'm guessing it either temporarily removes it or throws an error.

Okay, let's say Mega Pokémon gets their Stat(s) increased by 25%. And let's also assume we'll have a total of like 40 Mega Pokémon. What will be their stand in Competitive Battles? Banned to Ubers? Or even worse, banned to a new Mega Tier?

I was just thinking about the likely bone-crushing power of MegaLucario's Close Combat. MegaBlaziken has SpeedBoost and has more Atk than Blaziken. But unless it's more that 30% stronger its inability to carry Life Orb will keep it from surpassing ordinary Blaziken in damage output. However, MegaLucario gets Adaptability. The effective base power of its STAB Close Combat will surpass that of ordinary Lucario holding a Life Orb (240 versus 234) and the official site assures us that it also has a higher base Atk. It might even make sense to carry Steel STAB given the Adaptability boost and the potential SE hit on Fairies.

In the competitive world the worth of forfeiting Life Orb or Leftovers for the benefits of the MegaPokemon will probably come up many times. Just how much of a boost in attack will offensive Pokemon receive upon MegaEvolution? It's possible that it'll always be a significant boost; at least equivalent to the non-choice boosting items (crosses fingers). Mawile is another one that has nothing to worry about though. Even if its base attack doesn't increase (they wouldn't decrease it would they) it'll have a max attack of 590 as MegaMawile. Furthermore, barring any weird moveset restrictions for MegaPokemon, it'll have boosted defenses and a neat defensive typing (Dragon immunity?) for gaining a turn to set up Swords Dance. Mawile has always been pretty bad but 1180 Atk + STAB Attacks + Sucker Punch is potentially scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)