Ships in the Night (peaked #1)

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor

Props to JhenMohran for the amazing banner!

Introduction:
Hello everyone! Today I'd like to show you one of my favorite Ubers teams. Even though most people know me as a fervent OU player, that tier grows boring sometimes. Ubers has always been my second love. As far as the team goes, it has been pretty successful. Even though it's certainly not that big an accomplishment, I peaked #1 on the PO Ubers ladder using this team. This was also one of the three teams I used during my 5-0 POWC run. The team itself is heavily offensive, built around the devastating cleaner Kabutops. Finally, the name of the RMT comes from the song by the same name by Mat Kearney. I only discovered it recently, and it has quickly become one of my favorite songs. Without further ado, I present you Ships in the Night!

Teambuilding process:
On a really bad and old team, I had used a core of Specs Palkia + Kabutops. Even though the rest of the team was horrible, the combination was really strong. I had promised myself I would ever build a successful team around the core.

Kabutops is completely worthless without everlasting Rain, so a Kyogre was added. Since I lacked a revenge killer, I simply went with the Choice Scarf set.

It became fairly obvious this team would go on the offensive route. Eager to try this new Custap Forretress lead, I decided that it'd provide entry hazards for this team.

To not make Forretress a waste of a slot, I needed a Ghost-type to prevent the hazards from being spun away. I decided on CM Arceus Ghost.

Finally, I had trouble with stuff like Darkrai, Latias and other dragons. Genesect sounded like a great fit, even though it left me with 2 Choice Scarf users. I decided I'd just try it out, and see what Kyogre set would be more beneficial to this team. Turned out, 2 Choice Scarf users offered me unexpected flexibility, which I desperately missed if I tried something else.

Ladder peak:

Under the microscope:

Forretress (F) @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Even though he isn't my lead in team preview, this is the poke I'll lead with more often than not. Obviously, its main job is to set up hazards, but compared to other, more popular suicide leads, it can do way more than that. For one, Forretress is extremely good at preventing that there'll be hazards on my field, or at least, it'll be limited to just SR. Flat out beating the extremely overused Deoxys-S is another trait that my team greatly appreciates. Its EVs and movesets are bog-standard. No EVs or IVs make it much easier to get into Custap range, while a full powered Gyro Ball discourages opposing pokes to set up. Stealth Rocks is the best move in the game, and it's especially helpful against Ho-Oh who is a major threat to any team. Spikes punish grounded pokes by stripping 12.5% of their health everytime they come on. Last but not least, Rapid Spin gets rid of annoying hazards on my field. Even though I don't have a poke weak to SR, everyone is grounded. Combined with the fact Spikes are pretty damn common, Rapid Spin support is a blessing.

Considered changes:
Toxic Spikes > Spikes goes a long way in winning the weather war against both Sun and Sand, but when facing a team with Tentacruel I will miss the extra damage. It's a matter of preference.

Arceus (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Judgment
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

To keep my precious hazards on the field, a spinblocker was obviously needed. Giratina-O and Arceus-Ghost are both amazing offensive spinblockers, but in the end I opted for the latter. Its unresisted coverage, combined with its titanic bulk, makes it an enormous threat to any team. Even though Recover + some HP investment make it tougher to kill Ghostceus, I disliked the lack of immediate power. I decided to swap the HP EVs for SpAtk EVs and this change certainly helped, but there was another thing bothering me. Arceus still remained incredibly prone to status. Because of my aggressive playstyle, and the fact that I didn't often use Recover anyway, I decided to drop it for Substitute. No cool EV spread or anything on this mon either. I need max Speed because I need as many checks to Extremekiller as I can possibly get due to my lack of a solid answer to it. The remaining 4 EVs are dumped into Defense, so Genesect gets a SpAtk boost if it were to come in at +0. This also slightly diminishes passive damage such as hazards, Sandstorm and status, because I have an odd HP number.

Considered changes:
Give it Recover > Substitute.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 52 Def / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

If you want to base your team around Kabutops, Kyogre is definitely a must. It does much more for this team than just summon eternal Rain, however. It’s my first Choice Scarfer and main Sun check. I opted for a Modest nature, because the extra power helps a lot against stuff like a +1 CM Arceus. The Speed EVs allow it to outspeed everything up to Rash Deoxys-A, and that’s really all I need. The extra EVs are dumped into Defense so I take slightly less damage from Ho-Oh’s, Groudon’s or Extremekiller’s assaults. Kyogre is also an excellent late game cleaner when its few checks are weakened, which is easily done by other members of the team. I tend to play somewhat conservatively with Kyogre, since I really need its rain against Sun teams. Not to mention that Kabutops becomes practically worthless if I lose the weather war.

Considered Changes:
Since I already have a Choice Scarf user in Genesect, you could easily change Kyogre to a Choice Specs variant. Then, make sure to change Palkia to Lustruous/Haban. That version of the team works equally well, and is slightly more balanced because there’s one Choice user less.

Palkia @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
- Hydro Pump
- Spacial Rend
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

Choice Specs Palkia has always been a favorite of mine. I don’t think there’s anything in Ubers that completely crushes walls as well as Palkia does. Spacial Rend comfortably 2HKOs standard Dialga, Ferrothorn is 2HKO’d by Hydro Pump in Rain (and there’s a chance it’s OHKO’d by Fire Blast) and even Chansey will struggle to live its assaults. Even though its main job is to weaken Ferrothorn, Dialga and Giratina for Kabutops to sweep, it does much more for the team than that. It’s the main Kyogre check, and it’s the main stallbreaker. The moves are pretty standard; Hydro Pump is the main STAB, 2HKOing the whole tier at worst. Thunder roasts Kyogre, Tentacruel and Lugia, while Fire Blast is my strongest move in Sunny weather. It also OHKO’s Ferrothorn, even in Rain, with only a little bit of prior damage. Spacial Rend rounds off the moveset, doing obscene damage to the Dragon types that are all over the place. The EVs are pretty simple too. Max Speed is necessary to speed tie with opposing Palkia’s and max SpAtk for maximum firepower.

Considered changes:
Lustruous/Haban and make Kyogre the Choice Specs user.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SAtk / 224 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam

I know it’s a cliché, but Genesect truly is the glue of this team. It’s one of the best, if not the best, revenge killers in Ubers, and it gains momentum as easily as any. I opted for the standard Physical Scarf set, but with a little twist. I used to have Explosion in the 4th slot, but I never really got to use it. After getting outplayed by HackHeMust’s Darkrai, he suggested to try out Sleep Talk. I never looked back. The other moves are the standard however. U-Turn is the crux of the set. It OHKOs Latios/Latias and Mewtwo, while doing serious damage to just about everything else. It immediately flips the momentum as well. Iron Head is the the other STAB move, which allows Genesect to consistently beat Kyurem-W and Arceus-Rock. When everything is weakened, it’s another way to sweep late game. Ice Beam’s main use is to revenge DD Rayquaza, but it also hits Zekrom harder than anything else. The EV’s allow me to outspeed everything up to Scarf Kyurem-W. It’s pointless to try and Speed tie with opposing Genesect, since I don’t run a move to hurt them anyway. Instead, the extra EV’s are dumped into Special Attack so Ice Beam hits slightly harder.

Considered Changes:
None really.

Kabutops (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin / Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Low Kick

Finally, we’ve arrived at the star of the team. Before Aldaron’s proposal, it was one of the most feared Swift Swimmers in OU, and for good reason. Its 115 base Attack isn’t that impressive, but when you factor in Life Orb, a positive nature and some high powered STABs… Kabotops is the finisher of this team. Waterfall hits like a truck with STAB, Rain and Life Orb to back it up. Stone Edge is the other STAB, 2HKOing Lati’s and offensive versions of Kyogre. Low Kick is used to hit Ferrothorn and Dialga for about 70%, depending on the sets. There are 2 equally good options in the 4th moveslot. Rapid Spin gets rid hazards, and it’s particularly useful against Defensive teams, where Kabutops would have trouble standing out otherwise. Aqua Jet, on the other hand, OHKOs Scarf Terrakion who would outspeed and kill otherwise. I usually go with Rapid Spin, because I already have Ghostceus to softly check Terrakion.

Considered Changes:
I’ve seen some people use CB Kabutops to great success, but that’d give me yet another Choice user.

Conclusion:
This team has been a lot of fun to play with. It might not have the best defensive synergy, but it puts loads of offensive pressure on the opponent’s team from turn 1 onward. Hate, rate and steal try it out yourself!

Importable:
Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 52 Def / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Kabutops (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Waterfall
- Low Kick

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SAtk / 224 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam

Arceus (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
Trait: Multitype
- Judgment
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Palkia @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
- Hydro Pump
- Spacial Rend
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

Forretress (F) @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

QR Code:

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Minor threats are in Orange, big ones in Red

Arceus Forms:
Arceus: Kind of tough if used by a good player, but Ghostceus/Kabutops/Kyogre and even Genesect are options to beat it.
Arceus-Bug: lol do people use this. Kyogre and Kabutops I guess?
Arceus-Dark: Genesect, Sub variants will require a sac.
Arceus-Dragon: Kyogre/Genesect
Arceus-Electric: Kyogre/Kabutops, a bit tough
Arceus-Fighting: Complete set up fodder for Ghostceus. If he goes down, however, I'll be in some trouble.
Arceus-Fire: Kyogre
Arceus-Flying: lol, Kyogre/Kabutops/Genesect
Arceus-Ghost: Genesect/Kyogre
Arceus-Grass: Genesect, can be a little tough
Arceus-Ground: Kyogre/Palkia
Arceus-Ice: lol Genesect
Arceus-Poison: hit it hard with whatever is in i guess
Arceus-Psychic: Genesect
Arceus-Rock: Everything really. Genesect/Kyogre
Arceus-Steel: Ugh this guy sucks. Kyogre/Palkia/Ghostceus
Arceus-Water: Slightly annoying. Palkia/Kyogre can thunder it away

Blaziken: Ghostceus/Kyogre
Blissey: Ghostceus loves to face this one
Chansey: ^
Cloyster: Ugh recently people started using this and it's a bit annoying. Usually can't touch Genesect though.
Darkrai: Always a pain in the rear, but it won't beat my Genesect
Deoxys: never seen this thing before. Either one of my Scarfers I guess
Deoxys-A: Forretress beats it.
Deoxys-S: ^
Dialga: Slightly problematic. It'll usually lead, so I can get 2 layers up with Forretress. Then go to Ghostceus and Focus Blast as they Roar.
Espeon: Requires some mindgames with Forretress, but everything beat sit.
Excadrill: Can spin my hazards away, which is the most annoying part about it. Just don't let it happen and kill it with Kyogre.
Ferrothorn: Ghostceus beats it and Palkia 2HKOs at worst, but if it starts spamming Leech Seed and protect...
Forretress: massive set up fodder for Ghostceus. It won't like rain boosted attacks either.
Garchomp: Get rid of sand and hit it with Ice Beam.
Gastrodon: Annoying, but Genesect's U-turn/Palkia's Spacial Rend/Ghostceus will beat it.
Giratina-O: :O Everything bar Kabutops unless it's weakened which should be one of your goals if you plan to sweep.
Giratina: Palkia/Ghostceus
Gliscor: I haven't seen this being used ever since Donkey's RMT. Everything beats it afaik.
Groudon: If it uses Rock Polish, I'll be in a bit of trouble. If it's defensive my whole team laughs at it
Heatran: Not seen much since DPP. Kyogre/Palkia/Ghostceus work fine.
Hippowdon: use a special attack on it
Ho-Oh: problematic for every team. Get up SR early and it won't be nearly as big a problem.
Jirachi: It'll probably end up para'ing something, but Palkia blasts it away.
Kingdra: Very problematic, I need to keep either Ghostceus or Kyogre very healthy.
Kyogre: Palkia.
Kyurem-B: If you lose momentum, this'll require a sac. Otherwise not a big deal.
Kyurem-W:^
Latias: Genesect
Latios: Genesect
Lugia: Problematic if you lose momentum. Ghostceus does fine.
Manaphy: Thunder with Kyogre. If it has the electric resist berry, finish it with something else
Mewtwo: Genesect/Kyogre. As bad as scarf mewtwo is, it's actually more problematic end game.
Palkia: Scarf Palkia is really bad to face. Kabutops can OHKO with Stone Edge, Genesect's U-Turn does a ton, Ghostceus can hit it hard...
Rayquaza: Genesect.
Reshiram: Not seen much unfortunately. Kyogre does fine.
Salamence: Never seen this but ScarfMence does look problematic on paper. Genesect.
Scizor: Won't like the Water attacks. Only probs is real enough to use this anyway.
Shaymin-S: If it doesn't flinch, it'll die. Scarf is especially dangerous
Skarmory: Kyogre/Palkia. Spikes will be annoying.
Smeargle: In itself not a problem, but the cancer that smashpass is, can become one. Custap Forre can catch them off guard.
Tentacruel: Set up with Ghostceus/Thunder it.
Terrakion: Keep Ghostceus alive; only reason I run Aqua Jet on Kabutops.
Thundurus: Para's are annoying, but Thundurus itself is weak.
Tyranitar: tyrenitr reks, but it's not much of a problem to this team. Kyogre/Genesect.
Wobbuffet: Will probably kill a poke, but w/e
Xatu Contrary to Espeon, it has a much better shot at preventing hazards from being set up. Annoying.
Zekrom: I think Bolt Strike OHKOs this whole team with some prior damage so that's not good. Kill it before it kills you with Genesect.

Back when I used Kabutops, I used a Jolly Choice Banded set with 164 speed EVs (260 speed in the end, 520 in rain). Lets you outspeed Scarf Terrakion by one point, avoid residual damage from Life Orb and gives you some free EVs to invest into physical defence or HP to allow you to better switch in to Pokemon. Drawback is obviously loss of move switching, but it's not a big deal. I found myself just spamming Waterfall or switching right out after a Spin or predicting Ghost-Arceus or Giratina to come in.

You are right about having too many choicers though. Kind've a catch 22.

Also, you don't really have an amazing Ferrothorn counter (not that there are many anyway).

252 SpA Arceus-Ghost Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 160-190 (45.45 - 53.97%) -- 3.91% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Palkia Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 280-332 (79.54 - 94.31%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If Ferro's in, you don't have anything amazing to deal with it. Palkia's OK, but it can status and hazard the hell out of you if it ever gets switch initiative.

So long as Forretress does its job quickly enough, you should be OK with it though.

Great team Zoro, I don't really have much to suggest but to change Kyogre's item to Max HP Specs (like you already mentioned) and using Hydro Pump instead of Surf can help a little bit for 2HKOing Ferrothorn too. You pretty much covered what a good offensive rain team needs, I might try it out myself.

Edgar/Smart Kid.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hi zorodark good team

i support the change of kyogre from scarf to specs. along with genesect and forretress's hazards it become so dangerous and gene + ogre is one of the best wallbreaking combos becuase of the pressure it puts. you'd want a p bulky ogre to take on ghost arceus etc but still creep to outspeed dialga and such. without bulk on ghost arceus your team struggles heavily with lati@s which can just nuke something and switch out, thus i recommend haban berry > specs on palkia. palkia still hits like a truck even without specs and you'd be able to fool ferros etc and stop +0 scarf mence sweeps (i tell you from experience ;_; ) and bait lati@s and do a ton w/ spacial rend. i think you should try recover > sub on ghost arceus but keep the offensive evs to take on lati@s, genesect, terrakion etc better.

good luck!!! :toast:

I'm actually using Modest Specs Kyogre on my own team. After hazards, nothing likes to switch in to it.

The primary check to Kyogre is Palkia, which is typically scarfed:

• 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia: 204-241 (63.55 - 75.07%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And even if you mispredict:

• 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia in rain: 91-107 (28.34 - 33.33%) -- 0.02% chance to 3HKO

If it's already worn down, you can 2HKO it on the switch.

I personally run Surf / Thunder / Ice Beam / Sleep Talk on my Kyogre. Surf is reliable, Thunder gives you coverage and Ice Beam deals with everything else. Sleep Talk lets you counter Darkrai, which is very valuable. Darkrai can't do much back to max HP Kyogre even without Spdef investment.

• 252 SpA Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 102-120 (25.24 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
So even after Nasty Plots or Life Orb, you can switch in pretty handily on the Dark Void. You can do an awful lot back to it, even if you don't get Surf:

• 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Darkrai in rain: 466-549 (165.24 - 194.68%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Darkrai: 261-308 (92.55 - 109.21%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Darkrai: 207-244 (73.4 - 86.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So yeah, I think switching to Specs could be a good idea. The only counter to it is Ferrothorn. There are plenty of checks because it's slow, but most of the time you kill something anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)