Challenge Question

While trying to sleep yesterday, I came up with this interesting
question that requires thinking. If someone wanna try and answer
for fun, here it is.

---
*Suppose you're going to take a test that rates your intelligence
level and is needed in order to get some job.
*The test would consist of 2 questions that needs justifyment: a Very
Easy one and a Very Difficult one.
*The intelligence level would be measured as:
Very Low - Low - Average - High - Very High
*You need to be rated at least High to pass the test.
*Just before doing the test, you heard two comments:
"You're probably very dumb if you wrong the Very Easy question"
"You're probably very intelligent if you right the Very Difficult question"

-Chances are you're going to get rated higher if you
A-Right the V.Easy question and Wrong the V.Difficult question
or
B-Wrong the V.Easy question and Right the V.Difficult question?
So, which one would you choose in order to pass the test?
Justify your answers.
---

Try comming up with an answer and posting it before reading the other
people's comments. I'll post my line of thinking, which I think is
correct, in a couple of days.

i don't get it, if you can "choose" which one you want to get right, just answer them both right?

but if you only got one right the difficult one would help you more I would expect ;/

'A' because it has the least risk in it. If you go 'B', most of the times you will be made fun of/ridiculed. Its human nature to see the negative side first rather than the positive.

I think is ismposible to tell, you need to provide numbers.

You're probably very dumb if you wrong the Very Easy question"
"You're probably very intelligent if you right the Very Difficult question"
¿What probability of being wrong?
¿What probability of being right?

So anything I say will be speculation, I can't logicly justify my answer.

by the way I choose A, because jobs need people able to solve dificult problems; not easy questions.

Peace.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Let me simplify this question in a way where stupid people can't mess up the idea behind the thread.

If you take the first route and answer the easy question correctly, someone reviewing it will assume your "intelligence" is somewhere between X_1, the intelligence required to answer the first question, and X_2, the intelligence required to answer the second question.

The second route is more difficult. Now the reviewer has to choose between two possibilities instead of a range. Possibility one is that you are indeed smart beyond X_2, but you made a simple mistake and are normally smart enough to answer the first question. The second possibility is that you are actually below X_1, but by dumb luck managed to solve the difficult question.

The correct route depends on the nature of the questions themselves. If they were something like multiple choice, where it would be easy to guess and get a "freebie", I would take the safer route. On the other hand, if there was real answering required, such as an essay or written answer, you could provide genuine proof that you are, in fact, capable of answering the difficult question, causing any reviewer to find in favor of possibility 1.

This question reminds me of an essay my english teacher gave us last year. The topic was we were applying for a job when the man giving hte interview looks at your high school grades and asks in high school did you try the very best you could. The whole point of the essay is its a loaded question. You say yes the man would have to assume that he can never get a better result out of what he sees on the paper you won't progress any further because you pushed your self to the limit. If you say no then he assumes you won't try your hardest for the job.

Either way your wrong. Anyway i choose the second option since i seem to do that all the time anyway.

So anything I say will be speculation, I can't logicly justify my answer.
Speculation would be necessary, but you can use logic behind it.

If they were something like multiple choice, where it would be easy to guess and get a "freebie", I would take the safer route.
"The test would consist of 2 questions that needs justifyment"
That means you can't just guess the answer and get it correctly.

Also, Misty was the one who got further.

Tomorrow I'll post my thinking from this question and see if everyone agrees with it.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
bolding a word that doesnt exist wont help anyone

anyway misty is 100% correct, if you have proved your intelligence with the hard question you can just blag the easy one, say you were joking or heard it wrong or whatever.

Well, english is not my first language, but I guess you know what word I'm talking about.

The point is that the probable very intelligent person who got the V.Hard question made a mistake on a very Easy question, and that makes him "lose points".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)