Breaking Bad

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I liked and hated the ending.

Walt talking to Jesse and Skylar were amazing. Those were the best scenes and......... Ugh, Uncle Jack.
I don't like how the ending is just a nice little bow. There's nothing to talk about because everything wrapped itself up real neatly.

Yeah it was lower key than we tend to expect from stuff nowadays but it was the ending the story deserved. I really liked that it winded down rather than having a big explosive cliffhanger.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I dunno, maybe it's because I'm so used to big explosive cliffhangers out of Breaking Bad. I like unanswered questions because they give me something to think about and something to talk about with my friends/other fans of the show. But with this finale, I'm just kind of left with absolutely nothing else. No speculation. Nothing to ponder. We know just about everything left to know except like whether or not the money will actually end up with Walt's son, but even that we can pretty well expect to happen because he scared the ever loving piss out of Gretchen and Elliot when he went there. I will say that I'm glad that the finale wasn't just death after death of all the main characters, but I am satisfied with Lydia's and the Nazis' deaths, even though I actually really liked Lydia's character. Mostly just glad that Jesse finally got his happy ending after alllllllll of the shit he went through because he's been my favorite character since the first episode. Now that the show's over, I'll go back to watching Dexter. RIP Gomie, you were my real homie.

spoilers in this post I guess, but if you're dumb enough to click this thread without being caught up to the finale, you deserve to be spoiled I guess lol

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Breaking Bad ended the same way the series progressed; with subtlety. To think that there exist people who actually want a Lost type ending is distressing.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think they could have ended it any other way, however, while I am completely satisfied and, really, happy with the ending there's just this feeling of want. I think it may be due to that I really enjoyed the show. Maybe that I grew attached to Walt and Jesse, but I wanted a better ending scene than Walt, on the ground, dead. I get that it's a metaphor, him dying in the meth lab that was the last place to cook his meth, it isn't lost on me.

I would've liked a funeral ending. Or a burial ending of some nature. Walt being put into the ground by some nameless guy while no one is around to see him go. Or a news report talking about the death of a drug kingpin. The ending was bad, in my eyes, because it gave too much closure. There's nothing else. If it was a news report and the screen turned off then we'd have that, "who was that watching the news?" Skylar, Flynn, maybe even Jesse. I'd like it if it was Jesse, seeing that big, bag devil in his life finally in the ground.

Remind, I'm not knocking the ending. It was absolutely perfect in its toned down state. I just didn't want it to be so closed at the end where I know everything that has happened.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's normal to want to know what happened after and I think that's unavoidable when a story is this good. Having it be open-ended is not something I would have liked though. I want the story closed out and I'm happy they did. My favourite line was "Everything I did, I did for me." It was absolutely what I wanted from Walt. What showed he'd finally come to terms with himself.

I love looking at the first season and then the last. So much development.

Now that the show's over, I'll go back to watching Dexter.
If you're past Season 4, don't do it. Just don't. Please. Don't. Everything I liked about Breaking Bad, Dexter does not do.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm on season four now, and it's good. :(

And I agree that it was nice to see Walt finally say what we were all thinking the millions of times he claimed "he did it for his family," which was all a huge load of bullshit.

It just sucked that the whole series was so filled with action and suspense and keeping the viewer wondering what was coming next, and then it ended off with the complete closure that it did. I got bored with Breaking Bad a couple of times while I was watching it, and I would eventually tell myself to get caught up. Then I would watch one episode, get hooked again, and just steam through the rest of the episodes until I was caught up because of how binge-able the show was. Breaking Bad made you want to keep watching, and now I'm disappointed that not only is there no more to watch, but there's not even anything else to think about. The finale was just too absolute.

So no, I didn't want a Lost-esque ending, but that doesn't mean that I didn't want something more than what they gave me. Plus, I don't really give a damn if you get distressed over what I wanted out of the ending lol. I think what was most disappointing for me was that Walt was my least favorite character of the show, and I didn't get any idea of how the people in his life who I actually did like (Jesse; Skylar; Flynn; Marie, who I actually found to be insufferable, but it still would have been interesting) got to move on after his death. For the other characters, it's just "and they lived happily ever after; the end."

Matthew

I don't disagree with Firestorm he's completely right with how I'm feeling right now. I do want more because of the story. Though I think the open-ended, close-ended debate is merely a thing of preference in a story. I like how it ended, much like how I would think Firestorm would probably like a (well-directed) ending that was more open. It isn't a matter of bad vs. good. It's just preference. I would have liked aftermath, but it isn't entirely necessary.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scenes leading into [EXECUTIVE PRODUCER VINCE GILLIGAN] as you exploded into a state of enraged anticipation were great, but only because you knew it was going to get resolved (UNLIKE A CERTAIN DEXTER SEASON FUCK YOU DEXTER) but I wouldn't want to end the entire series with that. I don't know. I just find "open ended" to be a bit cliche and I've never been a fan of that type of ending.

In any case:

and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84085291&postcount=5114

THIS FUCKING SHOW ffff

I love breaking bad (even though I've only seen a couple eps, not allowed to watch any more til I'm older) but as an anime fan, I've noticed many similarities with Death Note.
The protagonist is the villain, the protagonist has a secret alias, there's a detective, the protagonist is a genius etc.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I love breaking bad (even though I've only seen a couple eps, not allowed to watch any more til I'm older) but as an anime fan, I've noticed many similarities with Death Note.
The protagonist is the villain, the protagonist has a secret alias, there's a detective, the protagonist is a genius etc.
They barely have anything in common, what are you talking about? Their goals, beliefs, methods, and other fundamental traits are not even remotely similar. The only similarity between them is the manipulative villain main character. Even Dexter is closer to Death Note than this (although Dexter was insufferably bad near the end).

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I did a marathon of Breaking Bad like a month ago because of all the hype and because my friend told me about it etc, it was pretty damn awesome. Only complaint I have is that the show started out with some heavy dark humour (especially noticeable in the first season), and then dropped it altogether in the following seasons.

Seeing Walt and Jesse's characters develop was incredible though, especially Walt's. He developed from that person who's shy and socially awkward and couldn't dare to kill Krazy 8 into the badass who ordered the hit on 11 men in jail in the span of 2 minutes, order the hit on his only friend, poison a little child, etc.

If I had to rank the seasons, I'd rank them like this: 5 > 1 > 3 > 2 > 4

Although 4's finale is the fucking best.

And Lydia is cute and hot as fuck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)