Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the official reveal:

Serebii said:
It is also to be a Fire/Dragon-type Pokémon with the new ability of Tough Claws which improves the power of Physical attacks. Its Attack stat is increased.
Then again, how come a Fire/Dragon mon with no levitate found on a Sky Battle?

Edit: As someone on Pokejungle said, the Charziard that started the sky battle as Fire/Flying would then Mega Evolve. Meh. Sound silly. Because luck fogic.

Last edited:
I'm holding my heart for Mega Arcanine to become the first non-legendary Fire/Dragon type. Don't do it, cool-looking black Charizard thing!

Edit: Nooo

Edit2:

Charizard is initially Fire/Flying. I guess changing type mid-battle has no bearing on sky battles.

Last edited:

Edit: As someone on Pokejungle said, the Charziard that started the sky battle as Fire/Flying would then Mega Evolve. Meh. Sound silly. Because luck fogic.
...shadows...URGH!

I'm just so confused, because the previous one was Mega Charizard. Period. If this is Mega Charizard X, does that mean there is also a Mega Charizard Y?

I also think it looks even dumber than previous Megazard, for the record.

I'm just so confused, because the previous one was Mega Charizard. Period. If this is Mega Charizard X, does that mean there is also a Mega Charizard Y?

I also think it looks even dumber than previous Megazard, for the record.
It was the same with MegaMewtwo. The "old" MegaCharizard is the MegaCharizard Y.

This is gonna make things a quite a bit more confusing now. Charizard now has two abilities, 2 mega evolutions, each with different abilities, stats and types. On top of all the new pokemon its gonna take me a while to memorise all this stuff

Good point. I doubt if every pokemon will have both an X and a Y form, but it's a possibility. Interesting thing to note: Mewtwo Y and Charizard Y both improve things that the base form was already good at (special attacking and being same-typed) - you could say that the Pokemon is going Up (Y-Axis). Mewtwo X and Charizard X improve something the pokemon was not all that good at (physical attacking and changing type), which you could say is a lateral change (X-Axis). A sample size of two isn't the greatest, of course, and it's also a possibility that Y forms favor special attack overall.

On top of all the new pokemon its gonna take me a while to memorise all this stuff
You don't have to. If you play competitively often, this kind of stuff just sticks to your head.

Player 1: "Heracross? Probably Jolly and Scarfed. Probably going to use Close Combat. Better switch into Crobat."

Player 2: "Probably going to switch into Crobat. Should I use Stone Edge. Maybe he thinks I'm going to use Stone Edge, so I'll just stick with Close Combat."

Player 1: "What if he's going to use Stone Edge instead? I can take that and paralyze him instead. That'd be wicked."

Player 2: "He also has Thunder Wave. Should I switch into a Ground Type? Oh wait, I don't have one."

You know, stuff like that.

I'm actually glad this is a place with no spoilers. I want to be surprised when I play the game.
This is gonna make things a quite a bit more confusing now. Charizard now has two abilities, 2 mega evolutions, each with different abilities, stats and types. On top of all the new pokemon its gonna take me a while to memorise all this stuff
If we still get team previews this will makie it more of a guessing game. As you won't know which form it will Mega into. I like it, it will keep us all on our toes.

Good point. I doubt if every pokemon will have both an X and a Y form, but it's a possibility. Interesting thing to note: Mewtwo Y and Charizard Y both improve things that the base form was already good at (special attacking and being same-typed) - you could say that the Pokemon is going Up (Y-Axis). Mewtwo X and Charizard X improve something the pokemon was not all that good at (physical attacking and changing type), which you could say is a lateral change (X-Axis). A sample size of two isn't the greatest, of course, and it's also a possibility that Y forms favor special attack overall.
Totally agree there. This makes choosing X & Y more significant in terms of battling. In the past version exclusives havn't bothered me much but this time round I can't make up my mind.

Does anybody else see charizard as getting really buffed this gen? It gets drought from (assuming) mega y evo and now it gets fire/dragon typing from mega y evo. Fire is going to be a good typing this gen since itll be one of 3 types that resist fairy (which is going to be very strong). With dragon typing its neutral to ice and water but has a weakness to ground attacks oh well...

I really like the potential strategy dimension this is adding. Now your opponent has to guess not only which Pokemon is your mega, but which form of Mega that you're going to use. Are they going to transform turn 1 and try to sweep, are they going to save it for a mid-battle surprise? And the version exclusive stones encourage trading across versions with people you know rather than GTSing for breed-seed slaves. Well done, Game Freak; over the last two months, you've brought me from skeptic to believer in Megas.

You don't have to. If you play competitively often, this kind of stuff just sticks to your head.
I kinda meant more trying to remember the pokemon's stats, types and abilities. It'll take me more than a few days to remember not to use thunder on megazard x and that it is physical attacker.

Does anybody else see charizard as getting really buffed this gen? It gets drought from (assuming) mega y evo and now it gets fire/dragon typing from mega y evo. Fire is going to be a good typing this gen since itll be one of 3 types that resist fairy (which is going to be very strong). With dragon typing its neutral to ice and water but has a weakness to ground attacks oh well...
Ah, but you won't fear ground attacks in Sky battles!

Argh... I really, really like Mega Charizard X, but I have Pokemon Y preordered! Ah, first world problems...

Also, and I don't think this is a bold assumption, I'm pretty sure we'll get a Mega Evolution of, at the very least, the 3 Kanto starters. I'm specially curious about how will be Mega Venusaur X...

It's worth assuming the same of Mega Venasaur and Blastoise, right? Or Blaziken if this is a starter/legendary thing?

Btw, now I have all the more reason to get X.

I really like the potential strategy dimension this is adding. Now your opponent has to guess not only which Pokemon is your mega, but which form of Mega that you're going to use. Are they going to transform turn 1 and try to sweep, are they going to save it for a mid-battle surprise? And the version exclusive stones encourage trading across versions with people you know rather than GTSing for breed-seed slaves. Well done, Game Freak; over the last two months, you've brought me from skeptic to believer in Megas.
Mega stones seem like something that wouldn't be tradeable?

Frankly we don't know. Aerodactyl can learn Earthquake. But whether or not it can be used in Sky Battles is yet to be revealed.
But only flying types and things with levitate can be in sky battles, no point using ground type moves if everything (bar megazard x so far) is immune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)