Aegislash @ (Life Orb? Leftovers?)
Trait: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Had this thing since Parfum Palace and just beat Elite 4 with it. Really needed swords dance pre-Aegislash, but after, Stance Change took care of the low Attack stat. Predicting Fairies to be important in teams, dedicated Fairy Terminators are needed (ie. Gengar, Aegisalsh, etc). Aegislash was pretty good at taking down the fairies throughout the story (Diantha was a breeze), after learning Iron Head, but more importantly resists them.
Sacred Sword's fighting is a nice filler.
Shadow Sneak for priority.
Only problem is between Life Orb or Leftovers. Life Orb is nice for killing but makes Aegislash weaker than it needs to be (that HP stat is ridiculously low), and Leftovers is always nice to have.
EV spread is up and down at the moment. Neutral HP will help overall. Had problems with SpD throughout story so 4 there and 252 Atk for general sweeping.
Only problem is usage. King's Shield is a nice fail-safe (go back to shield form if needed), but doesn't protect against status moves. Dunno where Aegislash will stand in the metagame, feels frail in sword form but used "right" might be a nice addition to any party.
The Status thing isn't a big deal since its immune to toxic, doesn't care about para and sleep/burn can be seen coming a mile away (especially nice with the spore nerf). Beyond that, an ideal partner for this thing, imo, is a bulky cleric like Blissey (to fix the problem if you are statused). Aegis can swtich in on most anything with those defenses in shield form, and wish gives it recovery (something it does not have as far as I know). Not to mention, with regards to blissey, King's Shield makes it a perfect physical attacker check. Its also incredibly hard to use as setup bait with sacred sword ignoring Bulk Ups and king's shield negating SD's/DD's all day.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that I've found the true counter to Aegislash. He/She is an underrated mon in the RU tier. QUAGSIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am currently running this set in a potential gen 6 RU team and i've had success against most of the teams i play, except when i play teams with mega mewtwo and mega charizard.
Here is the set:
Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Stockpile

If you guys don't believe me, just check out these sets for yourself. I had other clips that I didn't save, so I just got these clips in the last 20 minutes. I still think they show the potential and power of quagsire.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/gen6customgame-56646031
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/gen6customgame-56649582
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/gen6customgame-56620981
By the way, I didn't create this set but if this set becomes famous in order to stop the monster known as Aegislash, hit me up with the credits. Also, I know these battles are bad because the players weren't the best, but this still proves that unaware quagsire is actually a counter to aegislash.

If Chansey really is that prevalent, Aegislash is slow enough that you can forgo Speed EVs, 252 Atk LO Sacred Sword will 2HKO 252/252+ Eviolite Chansey. That being said, I think Chansey is uncommon enough that you wouldn't have to worry about that. Blissey on the other hand if physically frail enough to be 2HKO'd by 0 Atk Sacred Sword.

Aegislash @ Life Orb (or a Choice Specs or whatever)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
~ Flash Cannon
~ Shadow Ball
~ King's Shield
~ Hidden Power Ice/Fairy/Grass (depending on what counter you want to hit).
Hidden Power Ground would probably be the best option to deal with Heatran on the switch-in, as Flash Cannon hits most Fairy-types super effectively.

Aegislash doesn't have much of an issue with faries, though. It DOES have pointed issues with Quagsire, Landorus, Donphan, and Malimar. Grass is for Quagsire and Donphan, Ice for Donphan and Landorus, and Fairy for Malamar or incase some fast Dark type turns out to be good here.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So Aegislash is semi-viable in Ubers, eh? Well, maybe we should make a reasonable Ubers set. What are you running, Haruno, and does it have any use outside of "counters Xerneas"?
I've been using 252hp/252+ atk aegislash to reasonable success with chesto berry and a rest/king shield/iron head/sneak.

I'd ditch rest for sacred sword and chesto for assault vest when it becomes available though I've been mostly counter teaming when I've played 6th gen ubers so this set works. Not to mention all spinners fear it since exca fails to ohko without a sd boost while tenta got nerfed and has to pray for a burn, forry just can't do anything to aegis while aegis proceeds to setup

Am I the only one who thinks Gyarados could actually give this guy some headaches? Intimidates on the switch-in to take very little damage and has Taunt to shut down King's Shield which will lock Aegislash in its attack forme if it attacks. Its Waterfall does a ton of damage to Aegislash in its attack forme(Adamant Gyara actually has a shot to OHKO without any residual damage), and actually does a respectable amount even to Aegislash's defensive forme(33-39% to 252/0 def Aegislash) because of that horrible base HP. And for fun it has a chance to be a troll and get a Waterfall flinch or set up a Dragon Dance. There is the chance that Aegislash is running Head Smash and hits it on the switch, but I think it would be hard-pressed to fit that on something with four moveslot syndrome.

Of course, there's always something bizarre that could come out of left field like Head Smash(or an electric move if he even learns one), but even on a mixed set it would be very hard to fit those moves in on something with four moveslot syndrome like this.

I think this set is probably Aegilash's best set, at least for ou.

Aegilash Leftovers
-Stance Guard
Brave (252atk 252hp 4sp def) 0 speed ivs

Swords Dance
Kings Shield
Iron Head
Shadow Sneak

The basic goal of this set is to come in on something aegilash walls and proceed to swords dance. When they switch out to something that can threaten Aegilash, kings shield stops them cold if they are physical attackers. Otherwise Aegilash can attack. Iron Head hits hard and the 0 speed ivs allow Aegilash to go last, therefore taking hits while in shield form, but dishing out hits in blade form. After that Aegilash can kings shield to go back to shield form and repeat process. Shadow Sneak allows Aegilash to go first when necessary and hit pretty hard after swords dance. This would be used on weakened foes to pick them off before they can damage Aegilash, even if he is in shield form. It also is good for picking off fast and powerful pokemon such as starmie and gengar.

I really think Aegislash should be going Sassy +252 HP +252 Atk +4 SpD. His damage is plenty high after a Sword's Dance, and he needs SpD more than Def. He wants his Speed to be low to ensure he goes last (better defenses).

As far as Iron Head vs. Sacred Sword, Sacred Sword hits everything, but Iron Head hits harder. Ghost/Steel hits everything except Pyroar, Helioptile, Houndoom, Sharpedo, and Bisharp. I don't think any of those will be too common, so I guess Iron Head might be the way to go.

I came in with a different set in mind, but as I write this, I think MilkyWay01's set above seems best. I would use Sassy over Brave, however, but that's subject to change once the metagame fine-tunes necessary damage output.

EDIT: If you're running Iron Head, you have to rely on Shadow Sneak to hit Steel-types. When only boosted +2, I don't think Shadow Sneak is going to be strong enough against these guys. Just something to make me reconsider Sacred Sword.

Last edited:
Something that struck me... Aegislash + (Mega) Gyarados have near-perfect type synergy! (except electric)

Could this be a potentially viable pair of sweepers? Gyarados can easily switch in on predicted Ground & Fire moves that threaten this thing, and the Mega version can exchange its Ground immunity for newfound resistances to Ghost & Dark. Aegislash also resists all (but one) of both Gyarados forms' weaknesses, and some neutral hits as well!

Both of them have the bulk to take resisted hits, and each possess the ability to reliably set-up. So... thoughts? It may be terrible, but it was just something that stood out to me while team planning. :O

So, while I feel an Autotomize set with Iron head, Sacred sword and Shadow Claw will be a great set, I had an idea I wanted to throw out there, I just thought of it, so feel free to tear it apart :)

Aegislash@Air Balloon
252 Atk 252 HP 4 Spd
Brave Nature
Swords Dance
Kings Shield
Iron Head
Shadow Sneak

While the balloon may seem like a waste, taking up either a life orb or leftover spot, it could in theory, stop some of his counters, namely Landorus-T. In the first set for example, he switches in when Aegislash Sword dances, his only choice at this moment in time is to either try and U-turn out, first time going down to -2 due to kings shield, the 2nd time, u-turning out for minimal damage, while Aegislash gets another sword dance, taking him to +3 for whatever poor thing switches in. The other choice is to stay in and try and pop the balloon, in doing so, Aegislash uses kings shield, putting him at -2, the next turn he pops the balloon, but Aegislash sets up to +3. Aegislash now 2HKO's with shadow sneak, while Landorous can only 3HKO.

I suppose Lando-T could EQ 1st turn, predicting Aegeislash to Kings Shield, but he can still only 2HKO, while getting 2HKO by priority in return, and that is risky as hell.

How viable would a mixed Aegislash actually be? The only special moves I am sure it learns are Shadow Ball and Hidden Power, and I don't see a great deal of use for any of those moves other than surprising a physically defensive Pokemon expecting a Shadow Sneak/Claw.

Also, have you guys noticed how Taunt totally fucks up King's Shield and Swords Dance? If SD Aegislash gets taunted before some boosts, it has to switch out.

How viable would a mixed Aegislash actually be? The only special moves I am sure it learns are Shadow Ball and Hidden Power, and I don't see a great deal of use for any of those moves other than surprising a physically defensive Pokemon expecting a Shadow Sneak/Claw.

Also, have you guys noticed how Taunt totally fucks up King's Shield and Swords Dance? If SD Aegislash gets taunted before some boosts, it has to switch out.
Aegislash might have trouble with some physically defensive pokemon like possibly Donphan who can eat a hit and hit hard or OHKO in some cases with Earthquake or fire moves or something idk.
Taunt does kinda shit on Aegislash's effectiveness lol. The only solution to this I can think of off the top of my mind is just predicting the taunt and acting accordingly like going straight into a pure offense pokemon or slashing with a single offensive move while they taunt and then switch.

It gets Flash Cannon as well, so it can run Dual STABS. As I've said a few times, Special Aegislash is good - it loses movepool (read: a good Fighting Move) to defeat every one of its normal, physical counters.
Would we be discussing mixed or fully special Aegislash? Because fully special loses priority and that hurts it a bit. Also, on a fully special set what would be the fourth move? King's Shield / Shadow Ball / Flash Cannon / ???. Maybe Substitue? Hidden Power is very bad this gen, but it's a possibility I guess. Does it get Focus Blast? I don't see it in the confirmed moves in the OP.

Aegislash might have trouble with some physically defensive pokemon like possibly Donphan who can eat a hit and hit hard or OHKO in some cases with Earthquake or fire moves or something idk.
Taunt does kinda shit on Aegislash's effectiveness lol. The only solution to this I can think of off the top of my mind is just predicting the taunt and acting accordingly like going straight into a pure offense pokemon or slashing with a single offensive move while they taunt and then switch.
The thing is that I see Aegislash being quite simple. Send it with leftovers on something you can wall and don't stop boosting until you cap. Then everything dies, no matter how bulky.

My problem with Taunt though, is that it is a well distributed move that you can't always foresee. It's not totally bad for Aegislash, but I was just pointing that it is a good way to shut it off if you manage to catch it before the boosts are significant.

The thing is that I see Aegislash being quite simple. Send it with leftovers on something you can wall and don't stop boosting until you cap. Then everything dies, no matter how bulky.

My problem with Taunt though, is that it is a well distributed move that you can't always foresee. It's not totally bad for Aegislash, but I was just pointing that it is a good way to shut it off if you manage to catch it before the boosts are significant.
Taunt keeps Aegis stuck with 60/60/60 defenses and base 60 speed, so unless a defensive pokemon or one thats super slow Taunts you, you need to switch out or you will lose Aegis to a decent attacker with at least decent speed. King's Shield is a bread and butter move for Aegis that he can't afford to lose. Also some pokemon are move obvious taunters than others which is what I was aiming for there.
Also boosting until you cap is unnecessary since Aegislash has absurd attack in the first place. Also due to Shield Forme I'm thinking Aegislash will be an excellent baton pass recipient if you're into that stuff lol.

Physical Sweeper Variant
Cons
-Not fast enough to use super effective/stab moves effectively to actually KO targets in one hit.
-Priority move too low base power to sweep with by itself even with STAB even with 1x SD set-up. Needs two SD to equal the power of a STAB outrage.
-Very susceptible to status affliction to cripple its ability to sweep.

I see lots of issues with Aegislash right here for lots of these physical sweeper set-ups. Its cool, but it has those same Scizor issues when Scizor got Technician/Bullet Punch idea.

Instead I think Aegislash makes an excellent choice band user. With choice items you'll be doing lots of switching. Automatically, appearing in the fight with high defences and defensive typing allows it to easily tank a hit, then hit back very hard since its slower. Tack on some healing support or any status restoration support to help correct for its inability to tank too many hits.

Aegislash @ Choiceband
Nature: Naughty
EV: 252 Attack/ 252 Health Points/4 Def
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
-XXXX
-XXXX
Shadow Sneak for all general manner of revenge satisfaction and ghost types. Sacred Sword for Normal/Dark which would otherwise wall its ability to hit things with Shadow Sneak. The rest of its moves like Night Slash, Pursuit, Head Smash/RockSlide, Shadow Claw, Ironhead, etc. I think are all viable options, but simply depend upon what you want to end up wanting to take care of instead for threats. Ironhead would be perfect for any Fairy type. RockSlide/Head Smash are great for misc. flying types like Salamance, Gyarados, etc. ShadowClaw would give Aegislash a great STAB and neutral coverage.

I am not all to sure about the EV/Nature spread though. I could honestly see trying to figure out what it needs to outrun and invest HP evs into speed or even change the nature to brave.

Not sure if Shadow Sneak is the best option for it, Aegislash benefits from moving last because of its ability, so a Shadow Claw and a 0 IVs / 0 EVs speed would be better, and I would still use Iron Head instead of Gyro Ball (plus Sword Dance and Royal Guard).

What do you think?

Why is Gyro Ball not listed? People are focused on making it slow, and then there's Sticky Web from the enemy. I know it learns it. My Honedge had it. Sword Dance / Shadow Sneak / Gyro Ball / ??? Gyro Ball will hit SO hard and Shadow Sneak is great for the finish.
People have discussed gyro ball and concluded it is not worth 90% of the time. Sticky Web is a factor but so far it seems sticky web has awful distribution, so relying on it is probably not a good idea.

I'd try a really annoying stall set that's similar to SubToxic Gliscor:
People have reported that Protect does not revert Aegislash to its shield form. Please be clear whether you are talking about how Aegislash works in game, which is the correct behaviour, or how he works on Pokemon Showdown, which is still in beta for Gen 6, so it is not entirely correct.
Also we can assume protect and king's shield will not work in succession, just like detect and protect used in conjunction. Does anybody know if this has been confirmed?

Apologies if this was mentioned already, but it seems that if Aegislash is Asleep (and other disabling status?) he will still switch Formes even if he doesn't wake up on that turn. Not really sure how relevant/important that is but it could be useful info.
Is this behaviour exhibited in game or on Pokemon Showdown? If it's ingame then that's certainly interesting and you might want to post it in the research thread on Aegislash. If it's on PS then it's likely just not implemented correctly yet.

I think it's safe to say that Aegislash's stats are essentially 60/150/150/150/150/60. Even if opponents can play around King's Shield, it still takes really good prediction to successfully play around its massive defense and attack.

This seems to be one of the best sets to me, and it's somewhat of a no-brainer when it comes to offensive sets. This is the same set as the OP's set, but with some EV/nature changes and Air Balloon.

Aegislash
Item:
Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
IV's: 0 Spe
Nature: Brave (+Atk, -Spe)
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword/Iron Head
Kings shield
Swords Dance

Considering it can switch into about ten dozen things with its default shield form and amazing typing, it can usually get a free swords dance (if needed). I believe that there are no true counters to Aegislash as far as 5th gen OU is concerned. Assuming an intact Air Balloon and Gyro Ball with a chance to SD on a switch, Aegislash beats one of its biggest counters: defensive Landorus-T.

+1 252+ Atk Aegislash Gyro Ball (58 BP) vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 159-187 (41.73 - 49.08%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 210-248 (64.81 - 76.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also pretty much beats any other landorus-t.
Scarfed:
+1 252+ Atk Aegislash Gyro Ball (100 BP) vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 327-385 (100 - 117.73%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 252-296 (77.77 - 91.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Double Booster:
+1 252+ Atk Aegislash Gyro Ball (60 BP) vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 196-232 (59.21 - 70.09%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Aegislash Shadow Sneak vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 88-104 (26.58 - 31.41%) -- possible 4HKO

I'm currently looking into other potential counters to Aegislash (besides Malamar and Donphan) and Eviolite Doublade is a pretty good candidate. Air Balloon and ridiculous defenses often allow Aegislash to get to +4, which allows it to beat Mamoswine with Shadow Sneak after rocks.

EDIT: I realized I should probably use Iron Head instead of Gyro Ball. Gyro Ball is better for Doublade. too lazy to redo the calcs.

Last edited:
Has anyone brought up the possibilities of a DoubleDance set?

Aegislash@Life Orb
EV's: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Autotomize
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword

iSlash gets perfect coverage with just these two moves and would be able to completely clean house since it would be setting up while in its defensive form. The typical defensive pokemon who stop it would have to still take a hit from it before it gets phazed out at +2 attack. This means that it can be used as a wallbreaker or a sweeper, depending on the situation you are in.

Special isn't best being a setup sweeper, it's best being a pokemon that defeats counters - like Lando, Donphan, and possibly Mega Blastoise.

Though now that I look at it, I don't think Aegislash CAN defeat Mega Blastoise. Sure, it spinblocks, but it's taking a crapton from SE Mega Launcher Dark Pulse, and nothing it can do does much back.

I think you can overlook King's shield and simply run him as an all out Sweeper with Iron Head, Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak and Swords Dance. Thoughts on that?
I have thought of this as well. The only reason to really use it was to use priority to switch back into defensive mode to absorb damage, and hope to set-up more sword dances until Shadow Sneak could kill.

Or in say the case with no-def-investment Tyranitar even a sword dance shadow sneak is only doing 20.4%-25.5% against Tyranitar while a attack invested Tyranitar is doing ~50% damage on Aegislash with Earthquake and Tyranitar is faster than Aegislash too. Therefore, Aegislash would want to King's Shield to go into defence mode to prevent dying to an Earthquake if it was in attack form. Then, attack with Sacred Sword after absorbing the Earthquake from Tyranitar.

However, suppose Tyranitar had Life Orb and DD on the turn you tried switching forms. Now, Tyranitar will OHKO Aegislash even in defence form. So, its all really a gamble depending upon the pokemon and its layout. I believe other pokemon could do similar things as well. Any normal pokemon wrecks shadow sneak attempts. And only dark types resist it.

First time poster here. I might be misinformed but would Unaware Bold Quagsire with Def and HP investment be a decent counter to Aegislash's Set-up set?

Unaware ignores the stat-ups from Swords Dance and it resists Iron Head and it can hit back with Scald or Earthquake two things Aegislash doesn't want to deal with. Quagsire even learns Recover to maybe wall it out.

I don't really know all that much about the meta but just a suggestion.

First time poster here. I might be misinformed but would Unaware Bold Quagsire with Def and HP investment be a decent counter to Aegislash's Set-up set?

Unaware ignores the stat-ups from Swords Dance and it resists Iron Head and it can hit back with Scald or Earthquake two things Aegislash doesn't want to deal with. Quagsire even learns Recover to maybe wall it out.

I don't really know all that much about the meta but just a suggestion.
Hmm, based on some crude estimates, physically defensive Quagsire should be able to Recover off the damage from Aegislash's Shadow Claw, even if Aegislash uses LO for some reason. Without LO, even a crit shouldn't do more than Quagsire can heal on average. So Quagsire should be able to hold it off and get plenty of chances to fight back.

Quagsire is pretty sweet. Of course, this also highlights how reliant Aegislash is on boosting: without LO, even base 150 Atk doesn't do mountains of damage on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)