Move Freeze Dry

What are your thoughts on Freeze Dry?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
While Freeze-Dry isn't as strong as Ice Beam or Blizzard, there will still be sets that will use it.

It does have surprise factor. Though there might be a case of 4 move slot syndrome.
Lapras will definitely use it over TB, as it's more powerful after STAB, and frees up a moveslot if you don't go ice beam with it.

IMO, Ice Beam is a necessity on all Freeze Dry users, because all of them (bar Vanilluxe, maybe) just don't have the SpA to sacrifice the 30 BP drop (factoring STAB in) from not running Ice Beam. This move is a good improvement over Thunderbolt for Aurorus and Lapras, but beyond that, I don't think it's a very reliable attack.

With minimal availability, I don't pertain this move to see much exposure, especially since Ice types are so under-classed anyway. In its respective tier wherever it is placed, I can see validity in its use on sets by Articuno and possibly Lapras. We can most likely expect a set something along these lines.

Articuno
Nature: Timid
Ability: Pressure / Snow Cloak (DW)
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Freeze Dry
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Substitute

But honestly with only this much availability and only effective on so few pokemon, this isn't really going to produce much of a splash.

It'll be great on Lapras between STAB Water/Ice but I don't honestly see it getting much use on the other Pokemon that we currently know have access to it. Although if the Freeze chance is as high as some people are suggesting, it could very end up being as potent as Scald was last gen, if significantly less well distributed.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Rotom-F would really love this move now that both hail and Blizzard have been nerfed. It would also make perfect sense flavor-wise. Sadly it seems the Rotom formes are still stuck with one signature move each which may not be a bad thing since the idea of Rotom-W getting Scald makes my head hurt.

This definitely doesn't have a 30 % freeze chance lol. Unless I'm the most unluckiest person ever. I also doubt it's 20 %. It's very likely just 10 % like other Ice attacks.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
This definitely doesn't have a 30 % freeze chance lol. Unless I'm the most unluckiest person ever. I also doubt it's 20 %. It's very likely just 10 % like other Ice attacks.
You can tell this from in-game use? Because it's currently coded at 10% freezing chance on simulators until further notice.

Flipping a coin twice and both of them ending up as heads does not mean that a coin has a 100% chance of being heads
I've trained up an Aurorus (well actually its pre-evo from level 1, but that doesn't matter since only Aurorus gets Freeze-Dry) from level 39 to almost 80. Pretty sure I've used the move more than twice. I know what point you're trying to make, but I've used the move often enough while training up on wild Pokemon (and no, I don't count the times where they died from the move) and trainers.

Just tested again and I got no Freeze 21 times in a row (and now I stop since it's a little boring to do this lol (and takes quite some time since I'm tesing in the Battle Tower thing)). Someone else can test it more thoroughly...

Still hoping that Froslass can learn Freeze-Dry and Nasty Plot this gen... cause that's all it would need to be a terrifying sweeper and spinblocker/defog-killer. Come onnnn...
I just tried to breed a Vanilluxe with a Snorunt and it didn't get it "[ btw Delibird gets it through chain breeding Aurorus->Lapras->Delibird. I have a Spheal so I'm gonna look into that shortly.

Last edited:
I think it also gives immunity to powder moves now.

Seel is another Water/Ice that could get it.
JUst hatched my Spheal and it didn't get it. However, when I took my Lapras out it forgot Freeze-Dry since it was at a low level. Would that make an impact on the move breeding process or does it only register once you take the pokemon out of the daycare?

Go to see the Move Relearner. I heard she "re-teach" egg moves now... (not confirmed, though).
Yea I did that already with Lapras so that I didn't have to breed another one since it takes over 5000 steps to hatch a Lapras egg but I ran out of Heart Scales. I could try for a male Delibird since females pass down egg moves now, too. So I will try that now and breed a Delibird with a Spheal.

This is a list of the Ice-types in the Monster, Water 1 and Field Egg Groups;

Amaura
Cubchoo
Delibird
Lapras

Seel
Sneasel
Snover
Spheal

Swinub

Even if we assume all the untested Pokemon get it, there's no way to breed it out of Water 1, Field, or Monster so the likelihood of Pokemon like Cloyster being able to get it is basically nil at this point. That being said, just for the sake of being thorough, it may be worth testing certain non-Ice types as well, just to be certain.

As for Mineral;

Bergmite
Cryogonal
Snorunt
Vanillite

Besides finding out Bergmite (Who isn't really going to make much use of the move anyhow) that's all the Ice types.

I've been having LOADS of fun with Freeze Dry. At first I tried Articuno so I could take advantage of Hurricane too, but I've come to the conclusion that Cryogonal is the best user as it has the Speed to compete in OU. Simple, but the set I've been using is Timid 252 sp att/speed: freeze dry, iron defense, rapid spin, recover. You don't have great move coverage, but understandably, this Pokemon fills a particular niche as a Spinner, can tank a sp attack, outspeeds Garchomp, and can KO Gyarados and 2HKO RotomW. Don't expect to be sweeping, but when the time is right, Freeze Dry can be a nasty burn to an unsuspecting Water type.

I've been testing the proc rate for freeze with my Aurorus, and 400 uses of Freeze Dry resulted in 36 freezes. Assuming I remember how statistics work, this corresponds to a (9.0 +/- 1.6) % chance to freeze; in other words, the freeze chance for the move is between 5.93% and 12.07% within 95% confidence. The only realistic freeze chance in that range is 10%, so it's probably safe to go with that.

If there's any problem with my math, feel free to correct me.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The fact that the move freezes at all probably indicates a 10% freeze chance; the only move that has a higher chance of freezing is Secret Power on snow / ice.

Sorry Abomasnow, Froslass and Walrein, you aren't underrated enough to get this move.

But Lapras. Oh my lovely Lapras. A movepool to die for and nice bulky stats, and your choice of Water Absorb, Shell Armor and Hydration. Hydration. Why this thing wasn't used more I don't know. It could Rest and Dragon Dance in the rain without effort and could basically boost to the moon. Also hail immunity was nice even if it was the rarest weather effect.

Gen 6 did not give my Loch Ness monster Shell Smash (one more gen, I tell myself) yet it's gotten Freeze-Dry. I think this move alone is cause for celebration. A weaker Ice Beam with water SE (and why wasn't Ice already Super-Effective on Water? Makes no sense). Frankly Lapras can run Water Absorb and be a lovely Water counter, scaring off with STAB Freeze-Dry which'll hit harder than T-Bolt from it ever would (and there's no ice nullifying abilities... Yet...) DryBeam is the new BoltBeam for Lapras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)