First UU team, rate as hard as you'd like

Hey Smogon, over the years I've actually wanted to competitively play Pokemon but I really never actually sat down and tried it. Now that X/Y is out and I've known about Showdown for months now, I really want to get into it. This is my first actual team inside a Smogon tier, so please, rate it as much as you'd like. I created this team by looking in the UU tier Pokemon, so it's most likely not perfect. I played two matches and I had a hard time with one already.
At a Glance:

In Depth:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Roar

I've been a huge fan of Swampert since Gen 3 and I was happy to see him in the UU tier. With STAB Earthquake, I'm able to counter a Raikou encounter and stop the chance of Roserade being able to hit Swampert. I have Ice Punch to stop flying types such as Zapdos and Flygon and the STAB Waterfall to have more coverage as well. I chose Toxic over Roar or Stealth Rock make opponents think twice about switching into Swampert. Changed Toxic to Roar and Ice Punch to Stealth Rock. Gives Swampert the needed entry hazards and allows him to effectively tank a bit more. Weavile has the better Ice move as well.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest
- Sleep Powder

To help Swampert, I chose a Spikes Roserade. This covers my lack of entry hazards as well as having a strong grass type on the team. The STAB Giga Drain will help keep Roserade alive, as this is a more defensive setup. With Sludge Bomb I'm able to do some damage, but it has a 30% chance to poison which will help Roserade take down any possible walls. I chose Synthesis over Rest so I wouldn't have to switch Roserade out to get rid of the sleep status, but I might switch moves.
Swapped to an Offensive Roserade.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

I chose Chandelure with a Choice Scarf so it can out speed some sweepers and Chadelure already has a great SpAtk stat. The STAB Fire Blast will do tons of needed damage, even though the accuracy is lower than Flamethrower. Shadow Ball and Energy Ball are for more coverage needs, especially Energy Ball to stop Water types. HP Fighting is to stop some Normal walls that can wall Chandelure, but it has low damage and without the Choice Specs, it does even less. Possible move change? Changed HP Fighting to Trick.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SDef / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Night Slash

Weavile is much needed for its high Atk stat, Speed stat, and Pursuit needs. I chose Life Orb over Choice Band so it wouldn't be locked into one move and because Weavile has more than one use. Weavile's STAB Ice Shard is a great alternative to Swampert's Ice Punch because it hit's first and it does more damage. Night Slash is for Ghost and Psychic types that didn't take Pursuit's full effect.

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 16 Spd / 252 HP / 240 SDef
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- U-turn
- Psychic

The true support, Xatu. He gets rid of those pesky entry hazards and switches them back at the opponent. Thunder Wave is for its paralysis effect and slows the opponent down. Roost is so Xatu can stay alive since it has a low Defense stat. U-turn is to allow other Pokemon to switch out for Xatu and catch opponents off guard. The STAB Psychic allows Xatu to do damage and not just be there for a "get in and get out" tactic.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Changed Hitmonlee into Heracross. An overall better choice for this slot.

Changes so far:
Swampert: Roar > Ice Punch. Stealth Rock > Toxic. Changed to better EV's.
Roserade: Changed from Defense to Offense.
Hitmonlee: Changed to Heracross.
Chandelure: Trick > HP Fighting
Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Roar

Roserade (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest
- Sleep Powder

Chandelure (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Night Slash

Xatu (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- U-turn
- Psychic

Last edited:
Im not amazing at UU, but I would put SR on Swampert, and Roar too.

I dont know if the next changes would benefit your team, but you could try them out and see if they improve the team. Change Hitmonlee to Heracross, and slap a scarf on it. Change Chandelure to Specs (or LO subsplit) and give Weavile Swords Dance over Pursuit.

-ApplepieFTW

My concern over Hitmonlee is that if the opponent has a priority user he is pretty much dead weight. Heracross is awesome but IMO he is best with a Choice Scarf and you already have one of those. I guess there's nothing heinous about using two. If you do insist on using Hitmonlee then I'd make the most of Rapid Spin, since you have three Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock.

In theory, you don't need Stealth Rock because Xatu can bounce back the opponent's. However, you'd have to predict like Nostradamus so probably Applepie is right. (He is just suggesting you make your team more generic though).

For that Chandelure set, Trick is neat in that fourth slot since I'm pretty sure the likes of Umbreon and Porygon-2 can outstall you otherwise, but Trick leaves them begging for mercy. It also trolls Sucker Punch users like Bisharp, again making them really easy to play around. In that case maybe a second Scarfer like Heracross, who doubles as a revenge killer and a cleaner thanks to Moxie, would be welcome, so you don't lose your revenge killing powers.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, so I agree with some of the above rates, but not necessarily all of them, first off, definitely change toxic to stealth rock on Swampert, and I would recommend changing ice punch to stone edge or roar. Next, as the two major spike setters, Qwilfish and Roserade are donked by SpD Xatu, and Roserade has a semi-redundant role with Xatu, I recommend changing Roserade to an offensive set:

Roserade @ Life Orb
Serious Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest
- Sleep Powder

This will give you more offensive pressure and works well with Chandelure to wear down special walls so chandy can clean.

Finally, I am not a fan of Hitmonlee as it gets wrecked by hail, status, and your set gets wrecked by priority, so if you decide to keep lee, Mach Punch>Close Combat, as it allows you to beat priority users, since they tend to be fragile, and close combat doesn't do anything for you.

Although yes you have xatu that can bounce back SR that does not change the fact that you should put SR on Swamp :) Also I think a phaze move could be a nice addition to your team so I recommend you also putting Roar on Swamp ..Also you only have Chandelure as a spacial attacker which if it dies you are going to have a bad time with special walls/team players :P So I recommend you switching out roserade with Virizion or a different Grass type that can pack a punch on the special side..Or if you want to you can always make the Roserade offensive like atomicllamas said!

Im not amazing at UU, but I would put SR on Swampert, and Roar too.

I dont know if the next changes would benefit your team, but you could try them out and see if they improve the team. Change Hitmonlee to Heracross, and slap a scarf on it. Change Chandelure to Specs (or LO subsplit) and give Weavile Swords Dance over Pursuit.

-ApplepieFTW
Although yes you have xatu that can bounce back SR that does not change the fact that you should put SR on Swamp :) Also I think a phaze move could be a nice addition to your team so I recommend you also putting Roar on Swamp ..Also you only have Chandelure as a spacial attacker which if it dies you are going to have a bad time with special walls/team players :P So I recommend you switching out roserade with Virizion or a different Grass type that can pack a punch on the special side..Or if you want to you can always make the Roserade offensive like atomicllamas said!
For SR and Roar on Swamp, what would I swap out other than Toxic? Ice Punch?

Hi, so I agree with some of the above rates, but not necessarily all of them, first off, definitely change toxic to stealth rock on Swampert, and I would recommend changing ice punch to stone edge or roar. Next, as the two major spike setters, Qwilfish and Roserade are donked by SpD Xatu, and Roserade has a semi-redundant role with Xatu, I recommend changing Roserade to an offensive set:

Roserade @ Life Orb
Serious Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest
- Sleep Powder

This will give you more offensive pressure and works well with Chandelure to wear down special walls so chandy can clean.

Finally, I am not a fan of Hitmonlee as it gets wrecked by hail, status, and your set gets wrecked by priority, so if you decide to keep lee, Mach Punch>Close Combat, as it allows you to beat priority users, since they tend to be fragile, and close combat doesn't do anything for you.
GarchompPit and atomicllamas, you both make a good point, I didn't actually notice that Chandelure is really my only real special attacker. I'm going to swap out the more "defensive" Roserade to the attacking one.

My concern over Hitmonlee is that if the opponent has a priority user he is pretty much dead weight. Heracross is awesome but IMO he is best with a Choice Scarf and you already have one of those. I guess there's nothing heinous about using two. If you do insist on using Hitmonlee then I'd make the most of Rapid Spin, since you have three Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock.

In theory, you don't need Stealth Rock because Xatu can bounce back the opponent's. However, you'd have to predict like Nostradamus so probably Applepie is right. (He is just suggesting you make your team more generic though).

For that Chandelure set, Trick is neat in that fourth slot since I'm pretty sure the likes of Umbreon and Porygon-2 can outstall you otherwise, but Trick leaves them begging for mercy. It also trolls Sucker Punch users like Bisharp, again making them really easy to play around. In that case maybe a second Scarfer like Heracross, who doubles as a revenge killer and a cleaner thanks to Moxie, would be welcome, so you don't lose your revenge killing powers.
I'll swap out HP Fighting for Trick, it does seem like the better option overall. Swapping Lee for Heracross overall does seem like the better idea in the end. Especially because he can have Stone Edge and Close Combat, two moves that Lee can already use.

Thanks everyone for the rates! :)

For SR and Roar on Swamp, what would I swap out other than Toxic? Ice Punch?
I recommend you making it physically defensive like the standard set with EQ Scald SR and Roar :) You already have 2 great physical attackers and you lack a good physical wall.. :) As for EVs and Nature I recommend you this 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def.I hope I helped!

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
First match using this new team, some bad judges were involved, but overall a great improvement to this team. Watch it if you'd like :)
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/gen5uu-59147956
Hi again, I'm gonna critique your battle, and just give you some general advice, on things I think you can improve on (hope you're cool with that).

Well the first thing that comes to mind is that you should try and gain a little knowledge about pokemon in general (i.e. what has levitate), if you don't know what a mon does, such as Eelektross or Weezing, don't be afraid to look it up here, as giving your opponent a free turn by using something they are immune to is often an auto loss against good players. I also think you may be rushing, as if you think about it, turn 3 the proper play is to switch to Xatu (it is your SpD wall) or even Weavile (that is risky, but it is immune to Azelf's STAB which rose is weak too). Turn 14, you had the kill with pursuit whether or not they switched out with Mismagius, going for Night Slash was overkill and unnecessary, as you already had it trapped. Turn 17, I kind of see what you are doing by predicting Umbreon to switch out, but low kick would have gotten the kill and nothing on his team wants to switch in to Weavile barring Weezing, which at this point you should realize is hard walled by your Xatu. You then made the right play by switching Weavile out, as you really needed it to be alive, as Flygon could clean your whole team if he was gone. So good job, but always remember before sacking a pokemon, ask yourself if you still need it, in this case you did need Weavile, as it stood in the way of your opps win condition (Flygon). You made a few more risky plays I don't agree with like Megahorn vs Umbreon when CC would have hit and killed, or not using roar against coil Eelektross, who if played better (or been a different sweeper) could have swept your team.

After that I think you played pretty well, and I am not trying to call you out, but it is just stuff like this that I wish someone taught me initially, I'm sure you'll improve really fast, as your first team shows you have a lot of potential! Keep up the good work, and you'll be crushing it in no time.

Hi again, I'm gonna critique your battle, and just give you some general advice, on things I think you can improve on (hope you're cool with that).

Well the first thing that comes to mind is that you should try and gain a little knowledge about pokemon in general (i.e. what has levitate), if you don't know what a mon does, such as Eelektross or Weezing, don't be afraid to look it up here, as giving your opponent a free turn by using something they are immune to is often an auto loss against good players. I also think you may be rushing, as if you think about it, turn 3 the proper play is to switch to Xatu (it is your SpD wall) or even Weavile (that is risky, but it is immune to Azelf's STAB which rose is weak too). Turn 14, you had the kill with pursuit whether or not they switched out with Mismagius, going for Night Slash was overkill and unnecessary, as you already had it trapped. Turn 17, I kind of see what you are doing by predicting Umbreon to switch out, but low kick would have gotten the kill and nothing on his team wants to switch in to Weavile barring Weezing, which at this point you should realize is hard walled by your Xatu. You then made the right play by switching Weavile out, as you really needed it to be alive, as Flygon could clean your whole team if he was gone. So good job, but always remember before sacking a pokemon, ask yourself if you still need it, in this case you did need Weavile, as it stood in the way of your opps win condition (Flygon). You made a few more risky plays I don't agree with like Megahorn vs Umbreon when CC would have hit and killed, or not using roar against coil Eelektross, who if played better (or been a different sweeper) could have swept your team.

After that I think you played pretty well, and I am not trying to call you out, but it is just stuff like this that I wish someone taught me initially, I'm sure you'll improve really fast, as your first team shows you have a lot of potential! Keep up the good work, and you'll be crushing it in no time.
Thanks for taking the time to watch the match! I basically face palmed when I forgot about Levitate. I barely played Gen 5 myself and I forgot to put the cursor over Eelektross and I haven't fought against a Weezing in ages. Have to do that a bit more often to catch myself. If I bring this to the actual handheld games, I better remember. Just to point out and I know you aren't trying to call me out, but I've played Pokemon since Gen 1 and this is really me opening myself up to the competitive scene. I completely agree with the bad calls on Megahorn and Night Slash, they were bad judgements and I was a bit nervous playing that match. In the end, I'm really happy about myself on being able to beat my opponent and being able to win with my first time actually using this team.

I didn't look at half your team, but Weavile is always completely useless unless it has Swords Dance. You decide where to put it into your set, but put it in or replace Weavile.

I didn't look at half your team, but Weavile is always completely useless unless it has Swords Dance. You decide where to put it into your set, but put it in or replace Weavile.
If you give me a reason why I should put Swords Dance on Weavile and tell me what move to get rid of, then I might consider it. I've already won 3 games with this team, including Weavile without Swords Dance. You should really give a look at my entire team and you'll see why I chose Pursuit over Swords Dance in the long run.

If you give me a reason why I should put Swords Dance on Weavile and tell me what move to get rid of, then I might consider it. I've already won 3 games with this team, including Weavile without Swords Dance. You should really give a look at my entire team and you'll see why I chose Pursuit over Swords Dance in the long run.
Pursuit is a superb choice overall...I don't really see much use of SD on weavile just because is a glass cannon..Yes it is a nice alternative but with weavile forcing switches it can easily pursuit trap threats that Kaysick 's team suffers from and weaken them down or just flat out kill them.. :)

OK then, maybe I should look at whole teams in future. Also, Weavile can use a Sash with Toppers or Starmie (in OU) to Spin hazards and keep your sash up. This guarantees a Swords Dance. Night Slash is an acceptable loss, because Pursuit has over half the base power on non-switching targets.

OK then, maybe I should look at whole teams in future. Also, Weavile can use a Sash with Toppers or Starmie (in OU) to Spin hazards and keep your sash up. This guarantees a Swords Dance. Night Slash is an acceptable loss, because Pursuit has over half the base power on non-switching targets.
I mean this is Rate My Team, not Rate Half My Team.

I'm not sure why you think using Night Slash is an acceptable loss. I think you have the moves swapped.
Pursuit: 40 / On switch in: 80
Night Slash: 70

I can understand why Sash and Swords Dance would be a good combo, but I'm not exactly using Weavile as a sweeper per say. If I was, I would use that tactic over Pursuit. I'm using him where's he's needed. Ice Shard out plays Swampert's Ice Punch, Low Kick is to stop walls that my other Pokemon can't handle, Pursuit is to punish a swap in, and Night Slash is for if Pursuit doesn't KO their Pokemon because they didn't switch or if a Ghost & Psychic type is on the field and they don't switch.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, this is a pretty decent team you've got here so far, but there's plenty of room for improvement; so I'll weigh in!

Firstly, I'd suggest changing Swampert's EV spread to 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def. This gives Swampert some great physical bulk to work with so it can check physical threats pretty well. This makes Swampert a much better bet against Darmanitan and Victini (without Grass Knot ofc), and also makes it a decent bet against Heracross and Mienshao. This also maintains the good offensive presence Swampert has.

I'd change Rest->Synthesis on Roserade. While Natural Cure is really good and allows Roserade to use Rest without much drawback, Synthesis is more reliable if Roserade is in to stay, so it can stay awake and continue barraging the opponent with strong attacks, so Roserade doesn't always have to switch out right after healing itself.

I would change Chandelure from Scarf->SubSplit. Since you're already using Scarf Heracross, a second Scarfer is rather unnecessary imo; and SubSplit can hit hard and has Substitute to dodge status and attacks; and Pain Split is a really cheap move that can chip off Snorlax's HP if Chandelure has been sufficiently weakened. Here's the set:

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Pain Split

That's what I've got for now, hope I helped.

240/16/252
Synthesis->Rest
Scarf->SubSplit

Hi, this is a pretty decent team you've got here so far, but there's plenty of room for improvement; so I'll weigh in!

Firstly, I'd suggest changing Swampert's EV spread to 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def. This gives Swampert some great physical bulk to work with so it can check physical threats pretty well. This makes Swampert a much better bet against Darmanitan and Victini (without Grass Knot ofc), and also makes it a decent bet against Heracross and Mienshao. This also maintains the good offensive presence Swampert has.

I'd change Rest->Synthesis on Roserade. While Natural Cure is really good and allows Roserade to use Rest without much drawback, Synthesis is more reliable if Roserade is in to stay, so it can stay awake and continue barraging the opponent with strong attacks, so Roserade doesn't always have to switch out right after healing itself.

I would change Chandelure from Scarf->SubSplit. Since you're already using Scarf Heracross, a second Scarfer is rather unnecessary imo; and SubSplit can hit hard and has Substitute to dodge status and attacks; and Pain Split is a really cheap move that can chip off Snorlax's HP if Chandelure has been sufficiently weakened. Here's the set:

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Pain Split

That's what I've got for now, hope I helped.

240/16/252
Synthesis->Rest
Scarf->SubSplit
I forgot to update the Code part, woops! I've already changed Synthesis to Rest so thanks for reminding me~
With the way Swampert is set up now, I'll definitely switch it to those EV's. GarchompPit said the same setup for the EV's as well.
I'll try out the new Chandelure move set and see how it goes. You do make a good point and I think in the end it'll be the more viable option.

Thanks for helping! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)