Pokémon The Best Fairy Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Whimsicott and Gardevoir are the sort of lower-tier pokemon that can be perfectly successful in ou, but I'm not sure how the new typing helps whimsicott. Sure it gained an immunity, but one that is usually backed up by fire (and likely now with Steel), two of its weaknesses.
Whimsicott isn't offensive at all, though. And grass/fairy is a fantastic defensive typing. Yes it has a lot of weaknesses, but it completely resists so many big things. It's weak to elemental attackers, but that's nothing new. It's neutral to fairy, bug and rock. Resists ground, water, dark, fighting. And it's defensive stats are good enough to not take massive damage from these things. Also as the PREMIER Encore user, the more it resists and the more it's immune to the better. Because even if that Conkelldur is carrying Poison Jab, it's not getting the opportunity to use it thanks to Encore.

Whimsicott got MASSIVELY buffed this gen from this new typing alone. And if it gets parting shot? It's going to be a momentum-building, neuter-happy machine.

Eh, don't forget DW Eevee (from Gen V)'s got access to Pixilate AND Hyper Voice, so it could work as an UU Gardevoir to begin with.
However, they could both play very different roles (ie, Sylveon's got the bulk and HP to wishpass and stuff) whereas Gardevoir can go Mega and Sweep.

I think
Eh, don't forget DW Eevee (from Gen V)'s got access to Pixilate AND Hyper Voice, so it could work as an UU Gardevoir to begin with.
However, they could both play very different roles (ie, Sylveon's got the bulk and HP to wishpass and stuff) whereas Gardevoir can go Mega and Sweep.
Gardevoir may even become OU even without its mega-evo with its new typing, but the extra mega power will be OU

MegaMawile is going to rape any team without a serious counter for it in OU because of obvious and pre-mentioned reasons

Azumarill got a "huge" boost from its fairy typing and should make it into OU because its typing, huge power abilty and decent bulk all work effectively together, (tested in gen 5 and 6), but its speed is a bit of an issue and the drop of Ice Punch off its moveset for Play Rough is a bit sad with threats like celebi and ferrothorn dominating the tier

Sylveon and Florges are quite similar pokémon really but Florges greater speed and special defense is probably gonna make him more used than our newest eeveelution, they could both make it into OU however

There should be a decent chance of seeing Togekiss knocking about OU, being a dragon slaying slut but still weak to SR

Sadly I cannot see Whimiscott making OU, nor can I see a place for any other fairies

I think you will see Florges in OU. I'm seeing it quite a lot in Ubers already and it does well taking hits and stabbing with Moonblast. However, this may simply be because not many teams right nowhave attacks that are super against Fairy. Pretty sure that will change with Mega Mawile, Togekiss, and Florges coming in. Florges in OU because it's not an overpowered Fairy Pokemon.

To be honest, none of the fairies are that good. Also, the tiers aren't that likely to increase in size since there is some sort of cap on how big a tier can be unless the threshold is changed... 65 appears to be the maximum. We have a few new OU candidates, but many things will drop and rise and shake things up, but we still get about 30 more PU Pokémon than we currently have unless we get a new tier.

As such, I don't believe that, Gardevoir for example, despite being buffed significantly, will get out of NU. Yes, it is powerful. Yes, it gained a great typing, but it has always been powerful in the past. It is harder to check now Skuntank is less reliable as it is hit neutrally by Garde's Moonblast and Garde is no longer weak to Dark, while Skunk is also an amazing Gengar counter, possibly pushing it up OU (or it stays NU if it doesn't). Gardevoir's Mevo is left out of the equation here, though, and might push it up some tiers but it might be very well that the Mega stone gets banned somewhere on the road, with the result that Garde is free to drop further. Note also that Garde is checked by anything and everything physical that outspeeds it.

Note also that Garde is checked by anything and everything physical that outspeeds it.
Not if you`re running Reflect support. Brave Bird from Talonflame cannot 2HKO 252HP/252SpA/4Spe MegaGardevoir. Speed isn`t as important as people make it out to be. My OU team is....unusual at best (I run both Gardevoir and Gallade), yet I win about 60-70% of the time on Showdown; and I`m not even that good.
MegaGarde can KO MegaGengar while survivng a Shadow Ball in return. And this is without Light Screen being up.
When you know a pokemon is weak to something, you use another teamslot to remove that weakness. Besides Dual Screen Klefki, Speed Boost Scolipede also works great together with Mega Garde.

I`m not saying MegaGarde will be OU. After all, the tiers are based on usage (It`s called over used for a reason). MegaGarde is however very much OU-viable.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sylveon and Florges are quite similar pokémon really but Florges greater speed and special defense is probably gonna make him more used than our newest eeveelution, they could both make it into OU however
No way man, Sylveon is pretty much better than Florges at everything you'd want to use it for.

- While Florges does have better special defense (154 to 130), Sylveon's hp is substantially better (78 to 95).
- Florges has 2 more base special attack (112 to 110), but Sylveon has Pixilate and thus has a 117 base power STAB move in Hyper Voice rather than a 95 base power STAB move.

Florges does win the speed fight, though. But what exactly are you outspeeding with Florges?

Azumarill. Provides nice priority, can be an awesome Belly drummer or a terrifying Choice band user. Both sets are used a lot so far in the OU environment and will keep the opponent guessing. Mawhile is awesome too, but can be played around due to it having to rely on sucker punch to defeat faster foes. Togekiss is awesome this gen as well and appreciates the stealth rock "nerf" thanks to defog users.

Belly drum Azumarill is overrated. The only usable fairies in OU are banded Azumarill and Togekiss.
BD azumarill a little gimmicky, ill admit but dangerous. mega gardevoir and mawhile are both viable in OU aswell. Even Sylveon can be used on defensive teams with that awesome SpDef and typing.

As such, I don't believe that, Gardevoir for example, despite being buffed significantly, will get out of NU. Yes, it is powerful. Yes, it gained a great typing, but it has always been powerful in the past. It is harder to check now Skuntank is less reliable as it is hit neutrally by Garde's Moonblast and Garde is no longer weak to Dark, while Skunk is also an amazing Gengar counter, possibly pushing it up OU (or it stays NU if it doesn't). Gardevoir's Mevo is left out of the equation here, though, and might push it up some tiers but it might be very well that the Mega stone gets banned somewhere on the road, with the result that Garde is free to drop further. Note also that Garde is checked by anything and everything physical that outspeeds it.
+252 Speed Jolly Magikarp's Tackle checks a Gardevoir? Interesting.
But honestly I see it as a bit of a surprise that Gardevoir was even in NU last gen. It certainly has the force to be higher, it could wall special attacks quite well and deal some very nice damage back. And I can't see Mega Gardevoir being banned either.

You forget that klefki, depite a good typing, is piss easy to take down
Doesn't have to be Klefki. Any good Dual Screener works, Klefki just has priority and will always ensure at LEAST 8 turns of Reflect. Although once pokebank opens I'll probably run a Virizion Screener again as I did in BW. Better bulk and isn't complete Taunt-bait.

Azumarill

Azumarill's is BY FAR without a shadow of doubt, the best fairy type Pokemon.
It's stats and movepool are among the best in the game. 100/80/80 defenses backed by a pseudo 436 attack is beyond fantastic.
Yeah it's slow at only 50 base speed but who cares, it has access to the best priority move in the game for it's type (Aqua Jet). Not to mention the best way to boost it (Belly Drum).
Out side of stats/ability/moves it's even hard to pin down what item it's using, which makes it even more dangerous. Does it have a Choice Band? Splash Plate? Could it be Sitrus Berry/W Belly Drum? It could even be super bulky with Assault Vest/Power-Up Punch.
It can nail counters with huge hits and with support it gets near KO's. For a Fairy type offensively it does everything you want and more.
Defensively Azumarill resists; Water, Ice, Dark, Fire, Fighting and Bug has immunity to Dragon and few weaknesses in Poison, Electric and Grass. (The lesser used offensive type moves) It even gets Refresh to cure it's own status problems. What more do you want in a fairy type.

Last edited:
+252 Speed Jolly Magikarp's Tackle checks a Gardevoir? Interesting.
But honestly I see it as a bit of a surprise that Gardevoir was even in NU last gen. It certainly has the force to be higher, it could wall special attacks quite well and deal some very nice damage back. And I can't see Mega Gardevoir being banned either.
I meant Mega Gardevoir getting banned in UU/RU once Gardevoir drops, causing Garde without her stone to drop even further.

But Gardevoir had very significant flaws and even in NU it had to be played somewhat carefully (even though it was devastating in NU) with Skuntank and friends around (RU added Drapion), and with Jynx around Gardevoir's offensive role became utterly pointless outside of Sun teams, and there are far better defensive teammates to add unless you needed Dual Screens + Memento on a single Pokémon.

Now, however, it has to be played slightly less careful (no longer a Pursuit/Sucker Punch/U-Turn weakness and as a result no longer handing your opponent momentum in a dish) but Garde can still easily be wrecked by a more powerful physical attack, like Gurdurr's Stone Edge or Charizard's Flare Blitz, and then I'm not talking about the Aqua Jets that litter the lower tiers. Pinsir and friends also always had a tendency to scare Gardevoir out and that didn't really change either.

Gardevoir's Fairy-type also gives it the necessary difference when compared with Jynx but even now, Jynx, and in higher tiers Alakazam, provide heavy competition for Garde.

Granbull has 90 HP and 75 Def + Intimidate.
It has heal bell.
So it can run a heal bell, sleep talk, rest, rough play set to deal with Dragons.
It could also drop heal bell for roar of course (although I really like heal bell because everything runs t-wave and will o wisp.

Why isn't he used so much? People here always cry how there is no physical defensive Fairy. Isn't above Physical defensive? I mean people use Gyarados physical defensive and it has
95 Hp and 79 Def + Intimidate

Please explain this to me :)

I think you will see Florges in OU. I'm seeing it quite a lot in Ubers already and it does well taking hits and stabbing with Moonblast. However, this may simply be because not many teams right nowhave attacks that are super against Fairy. Pretty sure that will change with Mega Mawile, Togekiss, and Florges coming in. Florges in OU because it's not an overpowered Fairy Pokemon.
Unless you count the 30% of all OU teams which run Scizor, which OHKOs Florges. The only fairies I see making OU any time soon are Azumarill, Togekiss, and maybe Mawile if it's good enough to warrant using up a mega slot on it on enough teams. Clefable and Granbull I see being UU or possibly high RU in Granbull's case, and Florges/Sylveon should be UU as well. The thing about Fairies in lower tiers is that below UU the only dragon used on more than on a few teams here and there is Druddigon. The whole "dragon counter" niche is very situational at best in RU or NU.

Unless you count the 30% of all OU teams which run Scizor, which OHKOs Florges. The only fairies I see making OU any time soon are Azumarill, Togekiss, and maybe Mawile if it's good enough to warrant using up a mega slot on it on enough teams. Clefable and Granbull I see being UU or possibly high RU in Granbull's case, and Florges/Sylveon should be UU as well. The thing about Fairies in lower tiers is that below UU the only dragon used on more than on a few teams here and there is Druddigon. The whole "dragon counter" niche is very situational at best in RU or NU.
Fairy does resist Fighting, Dark and Bug, too. Countering dragons isn't the only thing they can do.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think it's more of a "yes and no." situation with Fariies countering Dragons.
Countering Flygon and Zygarde doesn't count.
All dragons have their way out of fairies(more like Togekiss, Azu, Mawile, with some Sylveon/Florges sometimes) without the need of terrible moves like Poison Jab or Iron Head that are actually viable and good enough for actually important threats. Fine, Haxorus doesn't unless you want Rock Slide for Togekiss, but EQ takes care of all of them where he will end.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So far I've only tested Belly Drum Azumarill, but that thing is a downright phenomenal late-game sweeper. It can even come in mid-game for revenge kills as long as you play conservatively with its health. Tyranitar is the ultimate set-up bait for it, they'll almost always switch out, granting you a free Belly Drum.

At the moment I'm certainly reluctant to call it the best since Togekiss, Mega Mawile, and Sylveon all seem pretty great as well, but 1744 attack backed by priority is definitely something to fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)