Best E4 Sweepers

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Consider this a special in-game tier list.

With the new EXP share it's much better to have a team full of critters to level up rather than before where you could really only focus on leveling one or two with one or maybe two EXP shares. So can Orange Islands build something that can pick up all sorts of EXP and money along the way.

Some requirements:
-We shouldn't care about perfect IVs/EVs, egg moves shouldn't be a priority
-One sweeper should have Fly, because you want to leave your crappy town ASAP, and I haven't seen any PC's in the first two towns.
-Mons with time wasting abilities shouldn't be used: The five second Intimidate text can waste valuable O-power time. Mega Evo's should not apply.
-Should be able to hold Amulet Coin: Gotta get that mad money
-Can also sweep post-E4 rival easily, as they are the only other decent trainer in Kalos
-Healing after each member is totally reasonable, running out of PP when still needed is not.

Considering Fly I'm not sure only one mon can fit, so I'm expecting a lot of 2 mon lineups. Here is my current proposal.

Aegislash and Talonflame:

A formidable duo, Aegi can set up Swords Dance against the champion easily against a Hawlucha that can only try to do the same. Enjoy the +4 Shadow Sneak. He can handle the E4 members except for fire, which Talonflame can handle with some Brave Bird or Acrobatics. Flame Body Talonflame is already ideal for in-game because you'll need him plenty while hatching eggs. Why not have him tough too?

More to be added in time.

Any two, (or even one) mon that you think rules the E4?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Garchomp dominates everyone with a simple moveset of Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Rock Slide/filler.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Greninja perhaps? Lols @ Fire, has Ice Beam for Dragons, does decently well against Steel and can use Grass Knot against Water. Plus it can get STAB if using Protean.

I got a Protean Greninja and it pretty much wrecked the Elite 4 the first time. Second time, I felt guilty because I didn't let anything else battle so I used everyone lol.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good ol' Lapras. Surf/Waterfall/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt + Talonflame for Fly and the Steel E4 if you don't just wanna solo with Lapras.

Rocks 'em. Plus free boat and you know how much we've always wanted one of those.

I've been using a level 100 Mewtwo with psystrike/aura sphere/shadow ball/thunder wave for all of my grinding purposes. Crappy EVs/IVs/nature but it gets the job done. Solos the E4 without running out of PP and doesn't ever need to be healed. The pressure text is a minor annoyance though. I also have a flame body Talonflame as a fly slave and egg hatcher, but I never use it in battle. Considering Mewtwo already comes at a high level with all of the right moves, it's perfect for post game money/exp grinding in my opinion.

But on a side note, if you're grinding for exp, I find restaurant Le Wow to be faster exp than the Elite 4, as you can just do rotation battles and only use one pokemon (Mewtwo) for everything. This gives the other two pokemon on the field full exp, and you don't need a fly slave in Lumiose City so you can even train 5 pokemon at once. No longass cutscenes to watch so you get right into each battle immediately too. With amulet coin + selling the balm mushrooms they give you, you end up making around 50k per session I think (never actually counted). Doesn't matter if you meet the turn recommendations at all, you still get enough mushrooms to make up for the trip and then some. Don't bother with Sushi High Roller though, it's only slightly more exp and it sucks up all of your money.

If you're after money, I guess the E4 might be the way to go, otherwise restaurant grinding is way more efficient.

I concur with Goutland. Le Wow is so much more efficient at grinding xp than the elite four. It really isn't much worse at grinding money too. However, nothing will match xp grinding than putting your pokemon in the day care, taping up your d-pad and biking in circles around Lumiose city while you sleep!

As for elite four sweepers, mega medicham w/ elemental punches pretty much destroys everything.

ive had good luck with a togekiss. dazzling gleam/psychic/aura sphere/air slash works pretty well it it does have some trouble against the steel meber due to probopass with sturdy but it can do wonders against everything else and is surprisingly good against the champion one shotted most of her pokemon or all if they are high enough lvl. mine was about lvl 90 before I flly trusted it to go in alone with 5 pokemon to train though

My Lv100 ingame Delphox can OHKO every mon in the E4 except Gardevoir and Starmie with Flamethrower/Psychic/Psyshock, it OHKOs Gardevoir with a blaze boost too though, doesn't even run out of PP.

A high levelled (75+) Aurorus with Calm Mind/Freeze Dry/Thunderbolt and Ancientpower/HP Rock works quite well. The stab, super effective coverage on water types offered by Freeze Dry is what makes it work, combined with Thunderbolt and a rock move there's little that can stop it! It's a good idea to have a fire type in case it gets critted by the steel types, but it can set up on all of the elite four's starters and destroy all comers from there. You have to hope that Focus Miss lives up to its name though, heh.

Garchomp dominates everyone with a simple moveset of Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Rock Slide/filler.
Salamence can do the same but while carrying Fly. I'd recommend Dragon Claw/EQ/Thunder Fang/Fly and just carry something to deal with the occaisional flame body proc from Talonflame. He's probably the best E4 killer at the moment unless theres another flymon that esaily solos everything I can't think of.

Last edited:

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Salamence can do the same but while carrying Fly. I'd recommend Dragon Claw/EQ/Thunder Fang/Fly and just carry something to deal with the occaisional flame body proc from Talonflame. He's probably the best E4 killer at the moment unless theres another flymon that esaily solos everything I can't think of.
Except Salamence doesn't get STAB on EQ, and Fly isn't particularly useful.

Don't need STAB EQ to ohko all the fires, Mega-Gardevoir, and steels except MAYBE scizor, nature and evs a bit assuming you're using a lv100 mence if you aren't 100 you don't have great scizor OHKO odds. And Fly means you don't have a poke in your party soaking XP because you want Fly to leave your hometown immediately after beating the E4. So the poke you're leveling gets more XP which means less E4 runs so any 'wasted' turns are quickly made up in the E4 runs you don't have to do because you're effectively getting more XP per run.

Don't need STAB EQ to ohko all the fires, Mega-Gardevoir, and steels except MAYBE scizor, nature and evs a bit assuming you're using a lv100 mence if you aren't 100 you don't have great scizor OHKO odds. And Fly means you don't have a poke in your party soaking XP because you want Fly to leave your hometown immediately after beating the E4. So the poke you're leveling gets more XP which means less E4 runs so any 'wasted' turns are quickly made up in the E4 runs you don't have to do because you're effectively getting more XP per run.
Don't forget that the Exp. Share this gen doesn't split experience like it used to. all pokemon who did participate get full experience, those who did not get half that amount. The only real advantage to having fly on the sweeper is to train 5 pokemon at once instead of 4.

Don't forget that the Exp. Share this gen doesn't split experience like it used to. all pokemon who did participate get full experience, those who did not get half that amount. The only real advantage to having fly on the sweeper is to train 5 pokemon at once instead of 4.
Well the point of the thread to find the most efficient way to level off the E4(while making some money), which would be having 5 pokes with a single sweeper who knows fly. Its around 20% more efficient if you don't have 5 lucky eggs and 25% more efficient if you do.

Well the point of the thread to find the most efficient way to level off the E4(while making some money), which would be having 5 pokes with a single sweeper who knows fly. Its around 20% more efficient if you don't have 5 lucky eggs and 25% more efficient if you do.
does lucky egg work even if they didn't participate?

before pokebank i think mold breaker hawlucha could work;
brick break/hi jump kick
acrobatics
rock slide
fly

the only pokemon that would be a problem is aegislash, but when pokebank comes out you just swap to reshiram with earth power, dragon pulse, flamethrower, fly

I really don't want to continuously mention him, but Megazard Y works great with or without Fly.

Flamethrower/Earthquake
Solarbeam
Dragon Pulse
Fly

Come on, the dudes practically made to roflstomp the Elite Four. You have 3 or 4 powerful attacks that give you super effective damage on almost every single Pokemon.

Earthquake gives you super effective coverage on steel and fire, but once you reach high enough SpA I would think that Dragon Pulse could do the job (against fire chick) and you can go back to sun boosted flamethrower.
Solar Beam and Dragon Pulse take care of the rest.

Last edited:
With the GTS, it's easy to get a Gengar if you have a Haunter. I've been running one with Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, and Dazzling Gleam. OHKO on everything, especially if you have the mega stone on it.

Megazard X, while he wastes abit of time mega evolving, can OHKO everything your rival throws at you. Typically I start out with crobat w/ inner focus when up against her to counter the inevietable fake out that her cat-thing (forgot what its called) and use acrobatics

I find that Battle Chateau is fastest leveling spot / money grinding spot in the game, but only with the right strategy and investment. It takes a long time to reach Grand Duke / Grand Dutchess level, and once you're there... the best strategy requires $500,000 investment per day. However, unlike Le Wow, this is a per _day_ investment. ($300k == Black Writ. $100k == Gold Writ. $100K == Silver Writ). Doing 5 runs of Le Wow costs more than an entire day's worth of training at Battle Chateau.

Run around the Battle Chateau, focus on the Audino players. With Exp Power lvl 3 and Exp. Share activated, you get a little less than 20,000 Exp from the Marchioness Audino trainers (just under 10,000 Exp per lvl 55 Audino), and ~35,000 Exp per Duchess Audino trainers (3 lvl 60 Audinos). When Audino players aren't around, the Elite 4 and Gym Leader rematches occur at lvl 70 and lvl 75. Champion Diantha occurs only at Grand Duke / Grand Dutchess level, and her rematch occurs at lvl 80 after Black Writ is activated.

Gym Leader / Elite 4 / Champion Diantha don't give as much experience as Audino trainers, but they still give you like ~5000 exp per KO (with Lvl3 Exp Power + Exp. Share active).

Its a wee bit variable, because sometimes the entire Chateau is devoid of Audino, Gym Leaders, Elite 4, and Champions. But just use Exp. Power lvl 3 when you notice there are 2 or 3 "tough" opponents in the Chateau, and otherwise just battle the maids / lass / old guy / old lady trainers (the rank of these characters are unknown. You may fight them at lvl 60 and get tons of Exp... or they may be throwing lvl 35 Ralts at you and you'll be lucky for 300 exp). Also, since it is a one-time investment, Battle Chateau is most definitely a faster money-making place than Cafe Le Wow. You lose $500,000 when activating all the writs, but it isn't hard to make that money back.

If you're only doing Money grinding, this place is much much cheaper. You only need to activate Silver and Gold Writs, which can happen in Duke / Dutchess level. (The Duke -> Grand Duke jump takes a very long time). Run around and only battle Old People, Elite 4, and Gym Leaders. Every battle will net you $15,000+ with the Amulet Coin ($45,000 with Lvl 3 Money power). Duke-level old people and Elite 4 rematches get you ~$95,000+ in a single battle with Amulet Coin + Lvl3 Money. The various trainers also give you Pearls, and other money items when you defeat them sometimes. So... its actually very easy to make up your initial investment of $200,000, and you can spend the rest of the day making profits.

Sure, you'll feel bad killing lvl 15 babies, but when you get over $15,000 from a single battle ($45,000 with Money Power), you'll keep going. Lol.

Last edited:
Heliolisk has been working out pretty well for me. I've got him running Dry Skin with Thunderbolt, Surf, Dark Pulse, and Focus Blast (I almost never use it; anything could work in the last slot, really) holding an Amulet Coin. He's had no problems barreling through Cafe le Wow. He's been really good for EV training with Hordes, too.

Le Wow doesn't require investment of money. Le Wow pays you every time you go through it. Activate Exp lvl 3 and Payment lvl 1 and go in with an amulet coin. A run costs 90k, but you get 96k in prize money, plus all the balm mushrooms you can eat. 20 balm mushrooms is typical if you aren't trying to perfect the run, and that's worth something like 130k. So you make a profit of about 136k per run.

Le Wow also produces a tonne of XP. The active O-power lasts through the entire run, regardless of the 3 minute window. So if playing triples or rotation, you get a guaranteed boost for beating 15 lvl 63 pokemon, including an Audino. And b the time you have finished, your O-power is close to regenerating.

Short of using the daycare centre method, it's the easiest way to level up. Certainly the fastest in my experience.

Le Wow doesn't require investment of money. Le Wow pays you every time you go through it. Activate Exp lvl 3 and Payment lvl 1 and go in with an amulet coin. A run costs 90k, but you get 96k in prize money, plus all the balm mushrooms you can eat. 20 balm mushrooms is typical if you aren't trying to perfect the run, and that's worth something like 130k. So you make a profit of about 136k per run.
At Le Wow, you're looking at only a profit of ~136k after 5 battles. Maybe ~240k with O-Power lvl 3. The 90k entrance fee per cycle costs you quite a bit. A SINGLE battle at Battle Chateau, with Gold + Silver Writ +O-Power lvl 3+Amulet Coin gets you 95k (if you focus on the rich people). With O-Power lvl1, you're looking at ~40k per battle easily. Battle Chateau is easily the best place to make money. The EXP point issue... I'll need further investigation. But hands-down the fastest way to earn money in this game is Gold+Silver Write Battle Chateau.

Le Wow also produces a tonne of XP. The active O-power lasts through the entire run, regardless of the 3 minute window. So if playing triples or rotation, you get a guaranteed boost for beating 15 lvl 63 pokemon, including an Audino. And b the time you have finished, your O-power is close to regenerating.
I am aware of this. Nonetheless, my experience contradicts yours and I have tried both methods. In particular, getting just a single Dutchess Audino opponent gives me so much EXP I seriously doubt that Le Wow can keep up. I'll investigate this issue further... as I think the topic of maximizing EXP deserves its own topic.

Nidoking, Thunderbolt/Ice beam/Earth Power/Sludge Wave with a life orb/Sheer Force beats the whole elite 4. You do have some issues with the water types but mine outsped and got a 1 hit ko on all of them at level 65 or so.

At Le Wow, you're looking at only a profit of ~136k after 5 battles. Maybe ~240k with O-Power lvl 3. The 90k entrance fee per cycle costs you quite a bit. A SINGLE battle at Battle Chateau, with Gold + Silver Writ +O-Power lvl 3+Amulet Coin gets you 95k (if you focus on the rich people). With O-Power lvl1, you're looking at ~40k per battle easily. Battle Chateau is easily the best place to make money. The EXP point issue... I'll need further investigation. But hands-down the fastest way to earn money in this game is Gold+Silver Write Battle Chateau.
Once you have levelled a few to 100 this way, you never want for money again, though (and it is 135k profit after paying entrance fee, not before). I am sitting on more than I will ever need. As long as I make a profit, not a loss, that's fine. It's all about XP now.

I am aware of this. Nonetheless, my experience contradicts yours and I have tried both methods. In particular, getting just a single Dutchess Audino opponent gives me so much EXP I seriously doubt that Le Wow can keep up. I'll investigate this issue further... as I think the topic of maximizing EXP deserves its own topic.
My experience is le wow is simply more reliable, repeatable and predictable, which translates to faster overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)