Other Shiny new toys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late reply, but there have been several times where a NPC's Pokemon had moves that it couldn't possibly learn. For example, there was a Machamp that had swords dance in one of the older 3D games.
My post was in reply to someone bringing up instances of those so...i know???

My point is/was this: It's been a while since a main series game has made a goof like that.
And a goof like this would be incredible on several levels:
-It's in the battle facility which are supposed to be theoretically obtainable in how they hate you
-It's a signature move of a legendary pokemon that is otherwise banned in the facility. Some serious wires would have to be crossed in order to get it ontoooo
-A different legendary Pokemon who has been in the previous gens' facilities with movesets ripe for copy/paste

The last time they had a goof was in BW where a Sand Cloak Wormadam knew Leaf Storm. Though it wasn't in a Battle Facility like R_N is talking about.

My bad, I knew that, I just wasn't thinking right when I posted, I guess. I will edit my previous post.

Still, I see it as a completely viable threat and yet another option for Tyranitar to make him extremely unpredictable
(Other viable sets including, but not limited to, Scarfitar, Megatar, and Banded Tar)

Users not expecting Specially defensive "AV-a-Tar" (lol) won't stand a chance!
Sorry to rain on your parade, but Assault vest Ttar will hardly catch anyone off guard. It will probably be one of the most common sets in OU. Everyone seems to be talking about it (including me) so it is certainly not an obscure strategy.

mega kangashan. if you gave it sticky web support, I believe it can sweep.
however, otherwise its a physical wall breaker. still, it can sweep, just, anything faster is lethal.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but Assault vest Ttar will hardly catch anyone off guard. It will probably be one of the most common sets in OU. Everyone seems to be talking about it (including me) so it is certainly not an obscure strategy.
Like I said, if they aren't expecting it. Ttar can happily run around 5 or 6 different sets comfortably, making him as unpredictable as any OU poke I know of.
Plus, this thread seems like the most appropriate place to post about AV-a-Tar™, wouldn't you think?

How many sets does Ttar have? Both choice sets lose the surprise factor almost immediately, and even without assault vest, attacking Ttar with a special move in a sandstorm is a terrible move. The only real curve ball you could throw is a support set with SR, but that doesn't work as well with the weather nerf, so I don't see how Ttar gained any versatility this gen.

Crobat will definitely be a new threat this gen. It's old ability was practically useless bar against Fake Out, so this one will give it a true shot at OU.

Vileplume got a couple boosts this gen, too, maybe, just maybe enough for it to be ok in UU, haha. It at least as a good shot to make it to RU. It got +10 in it's Special Attack, and it got a new coverage move in Dazzling Gleam. Plus its Poison STAB is not longer useless. It has decent bulk, decent typing, access to Sleep Powder (and semi-reliable recovery in Moonlight, which is now a tad more reliable since the weather nerf) and can now hit Fighting, Dark, and Dragon Pokemon for super-effective damage. The only thing letting it down is its very underwhelming abilities and common weaknesses that its Grass typing gives it. Nonetheless, it's now viable in the lower tiers.
Vileplume was never a "bad" pokemon in and of itself, just...outclassed. Grass/Poison is a surprisingly decent defensive combo, and now it's good enough to hit back hard. And, y'know, Aromatherapy.

mega kangashan. if you gave it sticky web support, I believe it can sweep.
however, otherwise its a physical wall breaker. still, it can sweep, just, anything faster is lethal.
I disagree. Sucker Punch lets it beat most of the things that would out speed it. I'm liking it more than Talonflame and Belly Jet Azumaril as a priority abusing sweeper because it can set up while dealing damage with Power-Up Punch. It's also posible to beat the Ghosts that would normally check it just by not going Mega, and hitting them with Scrappy Return.

So I was doing some researching on possible new gimmicks for some of my favorite old pokes and I found one in Swoobat. Well, it's sort of a old trick, but with a new twist I guess. Klutz Swoobat has access to Trick via Gen 5 tutors, so now in addition to swapping a choice scarf/band/specs to someone without repercussions, you can also swap an assault vest to many different pokemon which would act as a permanent taunt. This completely shuts down pranksters for basically the entire match as they can't even swap it back or make use of a speed boost from Choice Scarf. A small new toy, but nonetheless a possibly useful one.

I disagree. Sucker Punch lets it beat most of the things that would out speed it. I'm liking it more than Talonflame and Belly Jet Azumaril as a priority abusing sweeper because it can set up while dealing damage with Power-Up Punch. It's also posible to beat the Ghosts that would normally check it just by not going Mega, and hitting them with Scrappy Return.
I think you may be right but I like to use sticky web because it means it can sweep more easely

I think you're forgetting the fact that the opponent has to attack for Sucker Punch to work. It is actually ridiculously easy for Mega-Gengar to get the upper hand on Mega-Khan with sub or hypnosis. And in order to counter ghosts, you have to have not-mega-evolved yet. Not to undestimate the potential of Mega-Khan's Sucker Punch, but even Talonflame can out prioritize it and/or burn it with Will-O-wisp

^ I am currently running Mega-Khan with Sticky Web support and the 2 work very well together.
I run:
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Power Up Punch
- Shadow Claw
Sucker Punch helps off fight other priority users or Flying/Levitate Pokemon for it to outspeed.
Return for its best STAB move of choice without repercussions.
Power Up Punch boosting move and helps do damage to Steels/Rocks and set up.
And probably the least common one in Shadow Claw to take out such threats as Ghosts who can setup/whatever or when I predict a switch into a ghost, and this has killed many a Gengar before it can do anything with Sucker Punch as well (as long as I can predict) and it catches Aegislash so off-guard xD. I know a lot of people like EarthQ but I was also getting pissed off by Trevenants so it works a charm IMO.

But yes, Mega-Khan has some amazing new toys this gen especially with Sticky Web support.

And probably the least common one in Shadow Claw to take out such threats as Ghosts who can setup/whatever or when I predict a switch into a ghost, and this has killed many a Gengar before it can do anything with Sucker Punch as well (as long as I can predict) and it catches Aegislash so off-guard xD. I know a lot of people like EarthQ but I was also getting pissed off by Trevenants so it works a charm IMO.

But yes, Mega-Khan has some amazing new toys this gen especially with Sticky Web support.
Oh yeah. I was just trying to point out that Mega-Khan definitely appreciates the Sticky Web support just like any other sweeper so he doesn't have to rely on a predictable sucker punch.

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
The reason Nidoking and Nidoqueen run special movesets is because of superior coverage in addition to powerful moves. Also, you'll want to replace Fire Punch with Sucker Punch if you're going with a physical set. Good luck ever getting past Skarmory, though.
Why don't people use mixed Nidoking? I have Flamethrower/Fire Blast for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)