Analysis of Transform on Netbattle

Well many of you may know me or seen me on netbattle, but I don't really post on Smogon much, and i was curious about Mew using transform, and through Obi telling me to post this here, I decided to share this with the Smogon Community. I made this guide because I saw that Mew was going to be allowed in practice tours, but recently it was added that transform mew is banned, but this guide can still be useful in general.

First off there are three pokemon that learn the move tranform, ditto, smeargle and mew, for sake of practicality I will be discussing and referring to mew.

PART 1: THIS IS IMPORTANT, THE TOP HALF OF THIS INFORMATION ONLY WORKS IF THE OPPONENT IS USING SMOGON UNIVERSITY MODS!!!!

If you do transform from mew here are the stats you will obtain depending on the opponents base stats.

base stat ----------- stat AFTER transform
5 --------------------- 140
10 --------------------- 150
15 --------------------- 160
20 --------------------- 170
25 --------------------- 180
30 --------------------- 190
35 --------------------- 200
40 --------------------- 210
45 --------------------- 220
50 --------------------- 230
55 --------------------- 240
60 --------------------- 250
65 --------------------- 260
70 --------------------- 270
75 --------------------- 280
80 --------------------- 290
90 --------------------- 300
100 -------------------- 330
105 -------------------- 340
110 -------------------- 350
115 -------------------- 360
120 -------------------- 370
125 -------------------- 380
130 -------------------- 390
135 -------------------- 400

It appears after some more testing that uneven stat numbers do not become multiples of 10. Every base stat, 2 total stat points are raised, so if you want to figure out the stat total for a base 102 for some reason, add 4 stat points too 330, so the stat total would be 334.

Transform takes all of their base stats (yes ALL but HP) and gives you the number that corresponds to it right there. HP stays the same as you gave your pokemon, which is mew, so always max hp on a transform set. Notice things like base 100 goes to 330 which is higher then base 100 can go, so if you transform into a 100 base spd pokemon, you will outspeed them 100% of the time. Yet if you transform into a 130 base spd pokemon, your stuck at 390 spd, while they could be up to 394, so pay attention to the rounding.

So if you transform into Salamence here are your stats

-------Salamence(max) ---- Mew - transformed into salamence
atk: 135(404) --------------- 400
def: 80(284) ---------------- 290
spd: 100(328) --------------- 330
Satk: 110(350) --------------- 350
Sdef: 80(284) ---------------- 290

its a little inconsistent, but it always gives you alot of every stat. Honestly i would not be suprised if this formula is wrong, but it is what it does on netbattle, and thats all that matters. Whats nice about mew, you can switch out anytime you want and mew will still be useful with softboiled etc. Then you can transform again, possibly saving it for lategame making it an easy sweep if you transform into the right pokemon, ideally a sweeper.

PART 2: OPPONENTS USING FULL ADVANCE, NO SMOGON UNIVERSITY MODS

Here it gets a little bit more complicated. You no longer get their stats with a beneficial nature in every category. Now if you go in the battle with no evs and a neutral nature against a smogon mod user, it really does not matter at all cause you get the same stats as if you evd, but now it all of a sudden matters.

First off you look at their original stats without any evs. These are what your stats will be built off of. Next, if they have any non neutral nature the stat that is decreased is the start of your new stat in that category, and the stat that is increased is the new minimum(not natured). After all the minimum stats are obtained, then your evs/nature are added to those. The numbers seem very slightly off, and your nature is not counted in your stats, only your evs matter.

Example:

Mew @ Nothing (for testing)
Trait: Synchronize[/FONT]
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 136 Spd / 60 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Transform
- Filler
- Filler
- Filler

Transforms Into the standard Swampert

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Surf

here are the stats
----Swampert -------- Mew - transformed into Swampert
atk: 256 --------------- 256(256 + 0 atk evs = 256 atk)
def: 275 ---------------- 254(237 def(no evs) + 60 def evs = 252 def, close)
spd: 140 --------------- 170(140 spd + 136 spd evs = 174 spd, close)
Satk: 236 ---------------- 206(swampert has 206 satk without any evs)
Sdef: 216 --------------- 231(60 sdef evs + 216 sdef = 231 sdef)

so as you can see the numbers are a little bit off, and I am unsure of why. With that Swampert test only speed and defense were off, which may mean it has something to do with the transformed pokemons nature, since it has a (+def, -satk) nature, but I am unsure at this current time. As you can see this is not even close to as powerful as when your opponent has Smogon University Mods turned on.

MISC NOTES ABOUT TRANSFORM
- If your opponent has stat changes (curse, dragon dance, etc), you copy those stat changes to your already morphed stats. So if a gyarados has 3 Dragon dances off on you, you get +3 atk and +3 spd on your new stats.
- You keep whatever hidden power you set yours to in team builder, you don not obtain their ivs, therefore your hidden power is not changed.
- Your HP remains the same after you transform, it is reccomended to max HP when using transform.
- You only get 5 PP of each move when using transform.
- If you switch out after you transformed, you go back to the original pokemon at the health it was at before.
- Transform is NOT blocked by protect

So overall it appears like you get a double nature, but im not completely sure on that, so dont hold me too it. If i find out more ill edit this. For now it appears like a very good move if your opponent is using Smogon University mods, if not it doesn’t seem that great.

Hope this helps, cause i feel that transform is an underrated move, and i think mew is a very good pokemon to abuse it with. Also thankyou to the people that helped me figure this out. If you have any questions feel free to ask, and if I dont know i wont mind figuring it out.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First, this is a good post. :toast:

Now, an explanation for how it's supposed to work.

You copy your opponent's stats (except HP) exactly, trait, and moves exactly, with 5 PP per move. This is not adjusted for level, either. And that's pretty much it.

One thing you might want to add in the "Misc Notes" section is that in addition to Protect/Detect, Substitute does not block Transform. I know this is true in Battle Revolution at least, when a Mew used Transform against my Garchomp with a Sub up. I'd assume this is how it works in Netbattle as well. One question, when you use Transform, does the Pokémon you use the move against have to be visible? Like, can the foe's Pokémon be Flying or Digging, yet still be Transformed into? I'd assume so, with the never-miss mechanic of Transform.

Your calculations are a bit off when factoring Natures. You seem to forget that the nature boost is applied AFTER the EV's.

When we recalculate this way, the Transformed Mew's Def/Spd become 254/171. Defence is what we expected and Speed is only one point off. Could you please check that Mew's speed IV?

well seems like the answer is obvious but i still wonder, what if mew did calm mind then transform? does it remain or gone? i think gone but still unsure

Mew will copy the opponent's boosts, think of it as using Psych Up. If Golduck uses Calm Mind against Geodude, then Geodude uses Defense Curl, followed by a Psych Up from Golduck, Golduck will only have the Def boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)