[QC Ready 1/3] Tyrantrum

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

My 1k post goes to my man Tyrantrum!

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Great Attack and Defense</li>
<li>Powerful wall breaker with a Choice Band</li>
<li>Access to Dragon Dance, giving it sweeping capabilities</li>
<li>Strong Jaw makes Crunch and the elemental fangs 50% stronger, giving it good coverage</li>
<li>Fantastic offensive typing in the form of Rock/Dragon</li>
<li>One of the few offensive Pokemon with access to Stealth Rock</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Mediocre Speed stat</li>
<li>Poor special bulk</li>
<li>Weaknesses to a large variety of types, including Dragon-, Ice-, and Fighting-type attacks<li>
<li>Weak to common priority moves such as Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, and Ice Shard</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Choice Band<br />
move 1: Head Smash<br />
move 2: Ice Fang<br />
move 3: Earthquake<br />
move 4: Dragon Claw / Fire Fang<br />
ability: Strong Jaw<br />
item: Choice Band<br />
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe<br />
nature: Adamant / Jolly</p>

• This set is designed to take advantage of Tyrantrum's high Attack stat, good coverage, and its incredibly powerful STAB Head Smash to pose as an incredibly threatening wall breaker
  • Although its Speed stat is less than appealing, it's still more than enough to outspeed a majority of the bulky Pokemon that Tyrantrum will be going up against, like Aegislash, Hippowdon, and Skarmory
  • Head Smash just absolutely plows through the entire tier, OHKOing anything that doesn't resist it and even 2HKOing ones that do. It even has the potential to cleanly 2HKO Forretress, Skarmory, and Gliscor
  • Although Tyrantrum doesn't have access to Outrage, Dragon Claw is still powerful coming off of base 121 Attack and a Choice Band. It's the best move that Tyrantrum can use late-game to clean up with
  • Earthquake is an essential coverage move to hit Steel-types like Aegislash and Excadrill who can otherwise a Head Smash and threaten to OHKO Tyrantrum the following turn
  • Ice Fang rounds off the set by OHKOing Gliscor and 2HKOing physically defensive Hippowdon, which are both relatively common switch-ins to Tyrantrum
  • Fire Fang is an option to specifically hit Ferrothorn, who resists both of its STAB moves and takes little damage from Earthquake
  • Jolly is an option to outspeed Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados, but Adamant is still preferred for the massive power increase
  • Stone Edge is an option if you want to significantly improve Tyrantrum's longevity, but the power drop is so significant that it's probably not even worth it
  • Magnezone and Mega Gengar are one of the best teammates to this set because they can trap Ferrothorn and other Steel-types, allowing Tyrantrum to freely spam Head Smash without a care in the world
  • Skarmory is a great defensive partner because it can wall all of the common priority users that give Tyrantrum trouble, such as Breloom, Mamoswine, and Scizor
  • Greninja and Starmie can both demolish physically defensive Hippowdon; Starmie having the advantage of greatly improving this sets longevity by getting rid of entry hazards

<p>name: Rock Polish<br />
move 1: Rock Polish<br />
move 2: Head Smash / Stone Edge<br />
move 3: Ice Fang<br />
move 4: Earthquake<br />
item: Life Orb<br />
nature: Jolly / Adamant</p>

• Rock Polish makes Tyrantrum's sluggish Speed stat instantly sky rocket up to a significantly higher 530, letting outspeed most of the boosted metagame
  • This set functions best as a late-game sweeper, once everything is in KO range and all of its checks/counters are gone
  • Head Smash gives this set much needed power to let it smash through a huge portion of the metagame with little effort, although the recoil adds up quite significantly so use it sparingly
  • Stone Edge loses out on a lot of power, but it's a safer Rock-type STAB to use in pinch situations when the extra recoil from Head Smash just isn't worth it
  • Ice Fang gives this set much needed coverage against Gliscor and the other Dragon-types like Salamence, Garchomp, and Zygarde
  • Earthquake lets it hit Excadrill, Lucario, and Aegislash, who all resist Tyrantrum's STAB move and can OHKO back with a super-effective coverage move
  • Jolly is the superior nature for its ability to outspeed Choice Scarf Garchomp at +2 and OHKO with Dragon Claw, but Adamant gives this set extra power that could be more beneficial in the long run, and is preferred if Choice Scarf Garchomp isn't much of a problem to your team
  • Fire Fang can be used over Earthquake to still hit Steel-types like Aegislash and Ferrothorn, but Earthquake is more reliable because it doesn't have to worry about King's Shield from Aegislash
  • Once again, Magnezone and Mega Gengar are some of the best teammates because they can trap Steel-types like Skarmory and Ferrothorn can either threaten to wall Tyrantrum or phaze it out; Mega Gengar has the advantage of trapping specific things outside of just Steel-types like Breloom for instance
  • Water-types like Greninja and Starmie and great teammates because they can decimate Hippowdon
  • Entry hazards pair well with this set to help make Tyrantrum's job much easier; Skarmory is probably the best out there because it has fantastic defensive synergy with it in general, and it can setup Spikes in the face of Breloom, Scizor, and Mamoswine
  • Talonflame is a great sweeper that pairs well with Tyrantrum, as it can fry all of the Steel-types that wall Tyrantrum and it can maul Breloom with a priority Flying-type move
  • A Rapid Spinner is highly recommended because Tyrantrum needs all the HP it can get to maximize the usage of Head Smash; Starmie is probably the best spinner for the job thanks to its great offensive synergy

<p>name: Dragon Dance<br />
move 1: Dragon Dance<br />
move 2: Head Smash / Stone Edge<br />
move 4: Earthquake<br />
item: Life Orb<br />
nature: Jolly</p>

• Unlike the Rock Polish set, Dragon Dance not only aims to remedy Tyrantrum's Speed, but it also increases its Attack stat to terrifying levels, letting it sweep unprepared teams with ease thanks to its fantastic coverage and powerful STAB moves
  • Head Smash has terrible recoil, but it is incredibly powerful at +1 and just absolutely annihilates anything that doesn't resist it, 2HKOing even the bulkiest of Pokemon, like Skarmory and Forretress
  • Stone Edge is an option if you want Tyrantrum to be a more reliable sweeper without the massive recoil from Head Smash, but the damage drop is VERY significant
  • Ice Fang gives this set much needed coverage against Gliscor and the other Dragon-types like Salamence, Garchomp, and Zygarde
  • Earthquake is required to hit grounded Steel-types such as Aegislash, Excadrill, Lucario, and Mega Mawile, while hitting Tyranitar hard as well
  • A Jolly nature is essential on this set, or else Tyrantrum is outsped by key Pokemon at +1, like Alakazam, Greninja, Jolteon, and Noivern
  • Fire Fang can be used to hit Ferrothorn while Ice Fang OHKOes Gliscor while dealing solid damage to Hippowdon
  • You can choose to run Leftovers if you really hate the combination of Head Smash and Life Orb recoil, but it loses out on a lot of power
  • Once again, Magnezone and Mega Gengar are some of the best teammates because they can trap Steel-types like Skarmory and Ferrothorn can either threaten to wall Tyrantrum or phaze it out; Mega Gengar has the advantage of trapping specific things outside of just Steel-types like Breloom for instance
  • Offensive Water-types like Greninja and Starmie can beat Gliscor and Hippowdon, which both wall this set quite easily
  • Talonflame is once again a great partner, as it has amazing offensive synergy with Tyrantrum and can decimate all of the Steel-types that threaten to wall Tyrantrum
  • A Rapid Spinner is highly recommended because Tyrantrum needs all the HP it can get to maximize the usage of Head Smash; Starmie is probably the best spinner for the job thanks to its great offensive synergy

<p>name: Stealth Rock<br />
move 1: Stealth Rock<br />
move 2: Stone Edge / Head Smash<br />
move 4: Earthquake / Fire Fang<br />
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb<br />
nature: Adamant / Jolly</p>

• Tyrantrum is one of the few decent offensive Pokemon that has access to the coveted Stealth Rock
  • Thanks to its high Attack stat, decent bulk, and powerful STAB moves, Tyrantrum makes for a great user of the move
  • The choice between Stone Edge or Head Smash depends heavily on what item you want Tyrantrum to run; Focus Sash pairs well with Stone Edge because it doesn't have to worry about Head Smash breaking the Sash, while Head Smash is preferred with Life Orb for the extra power
  • Ice Fang provides this set with great coverage against Gliscor, who is usually a fantastic counter to Tyrantrum
  • The last moveslot is mostly dependent on what you want Tyrantrum to beat. Earthquake is preferred to hit Aegislash reliably without having to worry about the potential -2 Attack drop from Kings Shield, while also hitting Excadrill, Tyranitar, and Klefki. Fire Fang on the other hand, hits Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory harder, but its vulnerable to Aegislash, which is extremely prominent
  • Jolly is an option to outspeed Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados, but Adamant is still preferred for the massive power increase
  • Leftovers is always an option to give Tyrantrum a bit more longevity, but it's inferior overall to Life Orb or Focus Sash for obvious reasons
  • In order to keep hazards up on the field, this set needs to be paired with something that can reliably deal with spinners. Magnezone can trap Forretress, while Mega Gengar can trap Excadrill, Tentacruel, and Starmie
  • Spin blockers are also efficient at keeping hazards off the field to make Tyrantrum's job a lot easier. Gourgeist can take on Forretress and Excadrill which may try to spin against Tyrantrum, while Gengar can also spin block and provide great coverage against Fairy-types
  • Setup sweepers are obviously good partners to this set, as they appreciate the extra damage that Stealth Rock brings. Talonflame is a big one, as it can cover many of Tyrantrum's checks. Gyarados can set up all over the likes of Breloom and Scizor

[Checks and Counters]

• Physically bulky Pokemon: Skarmory, Hippowdon, Forretress, Ferrothorn, Donphan, etc. Skarmory and Forretress must be wary of a +1 Head Smash though, as it can 2HKO them
  • Specially offensive Pokemon: Gengar, Starmie, Alakazam, Greninja, Venusaur (However, if Rock Polish is set up, Tyrantrum could outspeed and KO the former 3, making them great checks)
  • Gliscor needs to watch out for Ice Fang, but it's a good check to the non-boosting sets
  • Burn status cripples it
  • Strong physical attackers could break through Tyrantrum as well - Lucario (only a check as Tyrantrum could outspeed with Rock Polish), Garchomp, Salamence, and Mamoswine
  • Tyrantrum is very weak to priority, meaning that Breloom and Scizor are fantastic checks to this thing
  • Conkeldurr can live any of its moves and OHKO back with Drain Punch

Last edited:

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i could swear i already posted this, but the ability is Strong Jaw, not JawS
Yeah I saw that. I have't made any edits yet from the old skeleton (hence the big bolded letters at the top) but I'll make sure to fix that when I get to it.

The Rock Polish set is missing Rock Polish and the Dragon Dance set is missing Dragon Dance.
What merits Head Smash over Stone Edge? They both have the same acc. but Head Smash comes with fatal recoil and Stone Edge has a high crit chance (I've heard this chance was higher in XY, although I don't have any credible sources).

--EDIT
Oops, sorry Gary2346, I must've missed the "don't comment" part. Thank you answering my question though and feel free to delete this post if you think it clogs up the thread.

Last edited:

Gary

The Rock Polish set is missing Rock Polish and the Dragon Dance set is missing Dragon Dance.
What merits Head Smash over Stone Edge? They both have the same acc. but Head Smash comes with fatal recoil and Stone Edge has a high crit chance (I've heard this chance was higher in XY, although I don't have any credible sources).
(Don't comment on this until I make all of my edits)
Anyways, Head Smash is one of the few reasons to ever use Tyrantrum in the first place, otherwise it's kind of just an outclassed Dragon-type that has a few unique traits like Stealth Rock and good coverage, but aside from that, Head Smash is so powerful that it's completely worth the recoil. Being able to cleanly 2HKO Skarmory, Gliscor, and Forretress with Head Smash and OHKO pretty much everything else is just way too good to pass up on IMO.

Last edited:

Gary

Okay this is finally ready for QC. There are a few things on here that I'm a bit unsure of, such as a few move slashes and maybe a few EV spreads, but other than that, I think this is ready to be picked at. I discussed with SS about potentially merging the Rock Polish and Dragon Dance sets, but I decided to separate them for now, as I feel that both of them are equally viable. RP has an amazing Speed tier and less power, while DD has a lower Speed tier but significantly more power, so it goes both ways. Hopefully I didn't forget anything....

I can't help but wonder if Dragon Claw is even all that useful on the boosting sets. I know it's a decent STAB move and all, but it doesn't actually offer all that much as far as coverage goes. I really think Ice Fang should be considered in that slot. After a Strong Jaw boost, Ice Fang is about as powerful as Earthquake, which is pretty good. It still offers the same super effective coverage against Goodra, Garchomp, Noivern, Zygarde, Salamence, and Dragonite that Dragon Claw does (in fact, it hits the 4x weak Dragons even harder and can guarantee KOs where Dragon Claw would fall short) while also giving a much better damage output against Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Chesnaught, and Gliscor. So yeah, I really think putting Ice Fang over Dragon Claw or at least giving it a slash should be considered.

Gary

I can't help but wonder if Dragon Claw is even all that useful on the boosting sets. I know it's a decent STAB move and all, but it doesn't actually offer all that much as far as coverage goes. I really think Ice Fang should be considered in that slot. After a Strong Jaw boost, Ice Fang is about as powerful as Earthquake, which is pretty good. It still offers the same super effective coverage against Goodra, Garchomp, Noivern, Zygarde, Salamence, and Dragonite that Dragon Claw does (in fact, it hits the 4x weak Dragons even harder and can guarantee KOs where Dragon Claw would fall short) while also giving a much better damage output against Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Chesnaught, and Gliscor. So yeah, I really think putting Ice Fang over Dragon Claw or at least giving it a slash should be considered.
Yeah I definitely agree with that. I personally think that Dragon Claw could potentially just be AC, but for now I'll slash Ice Fang first on most of its sets, and if QC wants me to AC Dragon claw, then I'd be fine with it. Thanks!

just wondering what does Earthquake cover that fire fang wouldnt? i mean besides tyranitar i dont see how its better than fire fang, since fire fang has almost the same base power after strong jaw boost and can ohko alot of things like ferrothorn,fortress,scizor switch in, if im wrong please correct me but i dont really see the beneficts for DD set to run EQ over fire fang

DD,Head smash,Ice fang,fire fang give it better coverage imo and dont force you to use head smash over and over and be warned down by recoil.

Gary

just wondering what does Earthquake cover that fire fang wouldnt? i mean besides tyranitar i dont see how its better than fire fang, since fire fang has almost the same base power after strong jaw boost and can ohko alot of things like ferrothorn,fortress,scizor switch in, if im wrong please correct me but i dont really see the beneficts for DD set to run EQ over fire fang

DD,Head smash,Ice fang,fire fang give it better coverage imo and dont force you to use head smash over and over and be warned down by recoil.
It's coverage is similar to Fire Fang, but the big advantage EQ has over Fire Fang is the ability to hit Aegislash without having to worry about the insane Attack drop from Kings Shield. Even though you may miss out on hitting a few more Pokemon, Aegislash is so prevalent in todays metagame that being able to hit it indirectly is huge for a physical sweeper. Besides, a +1 Head Smash completely mauls Scizor and 2HKOes Forretress and Skarmory (Head Smash does more to Skarmory than Fire Fang). The only thing it misses out on is Ferrothorn, who is a lesser common threat than Aegislash and is much easier to handle with a teammate. Unless you pair Tyrantrum with Dugtrio, Earthquake is the best move on its sweeping sets.

-Just remove Dragon Claw from the sets bar Choice Band, it has no value whatsoever, the only Pokemon that DClaw is useful for is Goodra, besides that nothing else.
-I feel that Ice Fang on the banded set has way too much merit and should be on its own leaving DClaw to be slashed with Fire Fang (as the second option) Dragon Claw / Fire Fang.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Gary

-Just remove Dragon Claw from the sets bar Choice Band, it has no value whatsoever, the only Pokemon that DClaw is useful for is Goodra, besides that nothing else.
-I feel that Ice Fang on the banded set has way too much merit and should be on its own leaving DClaw to be slashed with Fire Fang (as the second option) Dragon Claw / Fire Fang.

QC APPROVED 1/3
Changes implemented. Thanks.

• Dragon Claw is a reliable STAB move to spam late-game when Head Smash isn't easy to spam, as it has good neutral coverage while hitting Garchomp and Zygarde very hard
I think you can remove this from the DD set as you no longer have Dragon Claw listed there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)