[QC READY 2/3] Tyranitar

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In the pros section you should mention that Sandstream is still a fantastic ability. (it cancels opposing weather, dishes out residual damages, and powers up Excadrill)
Can be used with sand-dependent sweepers like Excadrill but be wary of 5 turn sand
Remove this (because if you're using Excadrill, you're using Smooth Rock)

The Choice Band set deserves more hype! Short of bulky Fighting-type, nothing really wants to switch in STAB Crunch. Even Skarmory isn't a guaranteed check because of the potential defense drop.

I've been using tyranitar a lot and I don't see the point of using assault vest. You are much better off running mega tyranitar, the SpD boost is not as momentous but a huge attack and defense boost is really helpful. But I kind of think that scarf is the best set, getting rid of fast stuff is so good. I feel like almost every time I attack I am only outspeeding because of the scarf, it is really the best set.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Because Assault Vest Tyranitar can actually reliably revenge kill Mega Gengar (or regular Gengar for that matter).

252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in sand: 204-244 (50.49 - 60.39%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you come in on mega Gengar, and can Pursuit or Crunch it without fear. That's pretty damn neat. Non-Assault Vest Tyranitar can be OHKOed after Stealth Rock, so it's not as good of a check.

Because Assault Vest Tyranitar can actually reliably revenge kill Mega Gengar (or regular Gengar for that matter).

252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in sand: 204-244 (50.49 - 60.39%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you come in on mega Gengar, and can Pursuit or Crunch it without fear. That's pretty damn neat. Non-Assault Vest Tyranitar can be OHKOed after Stealth Rock, so it's not as good of a check.

ok... unless your opponent predicts (and don't bring up bad accuracy as an argument.) Also pursuit will from that set barely does half. If you crunch they can just switch out. And megatar can live fb after rocks, it does a max of about 80%. Yes if can't live after another hit, but it's not like normal tyranitar is immune t getting worn down.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ok... unless your opponent predicts (and don't bring up bad accuracy as an argument.) Also pursuit will from that set barely does half. If you crunch they can just switch out. And megatar can live fb after rocks, it does a max of about 80%. Yes if can't live after another hit, but it's not like normal tyranitar is immune t getting worn down.
If you are using Mega Tyranitar, you can't use any other Mega, which is obviously sigificant. Also, I love how you're allowed to bring up the problem that ALL Pursuit trappers face with 50/50s, but I can't bring up the 50/50 that happens when you try to hit FB twice lol

Ok I admit there are uses of assault vest tyranitar, However, I still think that support megatar needs a set. It's an excellent tank on the physical side with amazing attack and defense, and excellent special defense as well.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
After using both SpD Lefties Tyranitar and SpD Mega Tyranitar for about 10 games each, i can say with certainty that Leftovers easily out weights the added special bulk and Attack (the most relevant stats on this Pokemon). Leftovers Tyranitar can take so much more punishment than Mega support Ttar, which gets worn down really fast with SR up. I know that support Mega Tyranitar does have its uses, but i don't think it needs its own set. Imo, it should better be mentioned that SpD Tyranitar can use Tyranitarite instead of Leftovers in the AC, but i don't know if we can do this with the current format.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With the new formatting rules you can now slash Mega Stones with other items. You also don't need a specific section for MEvos and you need to change your format in general: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...rate-mega-evos-use-the-old-set-style.3491996/

Let's talk SpD Ttar now. Imo, Lefties, Smooth Rock, and Assault Vest should be the items slashed on the set, in the order i mentioned them. Leftovers goes first for two reasons: Tyranitar is probably the best Pokemon that gets SR atm, so not using it is honestly a sin. It also gets a ton of switch-ins against Pokemon such as Talonflame, Goodra, Noivern, Florges, Togekiss, and Sylveon (can't do much but sets up sand and SR in their face). Also, Lefties is needed to keep in check Talonflame as long as possible. Talonflame can not only wear down Tyranitar with WoW / U-turn, but it is also usually paired with anti-SR mons such as spinners or Defog users, and has Roost, all of which often make walling Talonflame for a long period and keeping SR on the field a daunting task.

Then, both Smooth Rock and Assault Vest are good options, but Smooth Rock goes first because Tyranitar is by far the best SR user and not being able to use this move sucks.

Also, give a mention to Tyranitarite in AC, as it has some situational uses on teams without ane MEvo. Mention Flamethrower in AC too, for those that hate low accuracy moves.

Oh and of course change the moveset and make it like this:

Nature: Careful / Sassy<br />
- Stealth Rock / Fire Blast<br />
- Pursuit<br />
- Crunch<br />
- Rock Slide / Fire Blast</p>

Stealth Rock, Crunch, and pursuit are obvious and don't need any explaining. Rock Slide is your best bet against Fairy-types, especially Togekiss, Talonflame, and Volcarona, letting you OHKO-2HKO most of those, so it gets the first slash on the last slot. Fire Blast is great against the very common Steel-types, as well as King's Shield Aegislash that try to get smart. Ice Beam goes to AC, because while nice to hit Gliscor, Garchomp, and Zygarder, the other moves are more useful in general. I am ok with it being slashed 3rd but i prefer it on AC. Fire Blast slashed after SR if you are using Assault Vest.

Finally, i don't like Rock Polish Tyranitar, like at all. Without an Atk boost its power is really bad, especially with Fairy-types round, and bulky physical walls such as Skarmory and Hippowdon being very common. You need the Atk boost in order to be able to get past weakened Hippowdon and OHKO Fairies with Stone Edge.

Also, i don't see the need for special attacks on this set, as Fire Fang and Ice Fang are better. Fire Fang deals more damage to Ferrothorn and Scizor, while Stone Edge already 2HKOes physically defensive Skarmory (same as Fire Blast). Similarly, Ice Fang is like Ice Beam but better after a DD boost. OHKOes Zygarde and Garchomp (which Ice Beam can't do), 3HKOes physically defensive Hippowdon (same with Ice Beam), and 2HKOes specially defensive Hippowdon (which Ice Beam can't do).

Last edited:
The DD set needs some specific teammates IMO. List what counters work with each coverage move, and specific teammates for each coverage move, general teammates, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)