Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the new breeding mechanics wonder if pikachu family can now pass extreme speed using breeding ( basically having volt tackle and extreme speed at same time)

A have a quick question about breeding mechanism:

I know that if one parent holds a destiny knot, 5 IV will pass down, and if a parent holds a Power Item, that specific stat will pass down.

Here's my questions: If both parents have 6 perfect IVs and one holds a destiny knot while the other holds a power item, will I have 1/6 chance of getting another perfect 6 IV pokemon?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

I know that if one parent holds a destiny knot, 5 IV will pass down, and if a parent holds a Power Item, that specific stat will pass down.

Here's my questions: If both parents have 6 perfect IVs and one holds a destiny knot while the other holds a power item, will I have 1/6 chance of getting another perfect 6 IV pokemon?
Yes, but then you won't be able to control what nature it gets

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Ok, so you are sure that the Power Item's guaranteed stat pass down isn't included in the 5 IV pass downs from Destiny Knot?
What?

Without the power item, all of the kids from your two perfect parents will inherit 5 of the 6 perfect IVs. The last one will be randomly generated and has the 1/32 chance of being perfect. For example, 1/6 of the time on all of your children, speed will be the stat that isn't inherited.

Let's say your power item is the one that passes speed. If you give this to one of your parents (while the other is still holding the destiny knot), then the speed stat will always be passed down. However, like I said before, only 1/6 of those children won't inherit the speed from the parents (because of destiny knot). Those children will now always inherit the speed in addition to the other 5. So you'll end up with a 1/5 chance to get a 6IV child.

But like I said, you won't be able to control the nature. With 25 possible natures and the 1/5 chance of a 6IV pokemon, with destiny knot + power item, you'll have a 1/125 chance of breeding a 6IV pokemon with the nature you want. With destiny knot and everstone, the chance is only 1/32.

Make sense?

Yeah it makes sense. I just wanted to make sure that the 5 IV pass down from Destiny Knot does not always include the guaranteed IV pass down from the Power Items. Thanks!

I'm breeding a Modest Moody Octillery. I know Moody is banned competitively, but I might be interesting to use it in the Battle Maison or maybe even on Wi-Fi. I don't want to rely solely on Evasion boosts, though. Now my question: should I invest in Hp/Sp.Atk or Sp.Atk and Spe?

What is best for Rapid Spin? I want to use Sandslash or Blastoise. But I notice a lot of people use Excadrill, why? Who should I choose?
Sadly Sandslash sucks, but Blastoise is a very good one after the MegaEvolution, thanks to very high bulk and power, and more important, access to Dark Pulse(boosted by MegaLauncher too) in order to destroy spinblockers. Excadrill is used because it has a very good typing, high attack and Mold Breaker to hit Rotom.

What is best for Rapid Spin? I want to use Sandslash or Blastoise. But I notice a lot of people use Excadrill, why? Who should I choose?
Fast and tough. Excadrill can take a good hit, even with having lost Ghost resistance, and that means even if an opponent brings in a spinblocker he might be able to pound through them with Steel STAB hits.

Sandslash and Blastoise, especially 'Slash, just can't really get past a lot of common spinblockers. I'm pretty sure Gengar beats them both pretty handily even without mega evolving; Slash just can't really hit him and dies to STAB Shadow Balls, and Blastoise probably dies to Thunderbolt.

I suppose it really matters which tier you're referring to; I'm less familiar with what's common in lower tiers; the B/W strategydex's writeups suggest that Sandslash is a passable spinner in BW RU and that Blastoise is a great spinner in UU.

A Malamar question. I am fairly new at competitive battling and training. If I raise a jolly Malamar but super train her on X/Y to raise her attack and HP would that make her fast bulky and high attack power?

A Malamar question. I am fairly new at competitive battling and training. If I raise a jolly Malamar but super train her on X/Y to raise her attack and HP would that make her fast bulky and high attack power?
Read up on the mechanics behind EVs when you get a chance. Super Training is just a way of manipulating them that's a bit easier to get into than the old methods, and if you're looking to get competitive, understanding what's going on with those mechanics is a big help.

As for Malamar... it is not super tanky on base stats, and Super Training/EV training is not going to turn it into a tank, either. Most of Malamar's "thing" is the sheer amazingness that is the Contrary/Superpower combo, allowing it to use one of the most powerful Fighting moves in the game as a boosting move.

I just hatched a pefect iv modest goomy with sap sipper

Is it best to go for evs in hp and sp.atk and a moveset like
icebeam, thunderbolt, flamethrower, dragonpulse/sludgebomb?

Or should i scrap sap sipper and use ability capsule on it to get hydration

yes since HGSS both parents have a 50% chance to pass down Natures with the ever stone
I forget what game this started at, but the parent with an Everstone will pass down the nature 100% guaranteed now.

Yes, but then you won't be able to control what nature it gets
No. This is incorrect as far as I know. Pretty much all of the reports thus far say that the Power item IV is included as one of the five stats passed down by Destiny Knot. There will always be a 6th IV that is random. If you have any evidence otherwise, I'd love to hear it!

Sap Sipper means free immunity to grass-typed moves, which can be useful. Hydration is only really useful if it carries Rain Dance or you intend to use rain on your team.
I'm not sure what the best spreads are, since I'm still experimenting; mine ingame is heavy on HP and Sp.Def. I want to run a Rest/Rain Dance set once I have a team together that won't be thoroughly screwed by rain if I have to switch out of Goodra.
Its base attacking stats are not that bad; I think in the Goodra thread some people have suggested a mixed-attacking set with no offensive investment, often with Assault Vest. It's not going to hit with 1HKO force on pretty much anything, but Goodra's got a good moveset for coverage, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a specially-based opponent who can hit Goodra harder than it can hit back. (I'm... not even sure that Specs Hydreigon can 1HKO with Draco Meteor against Assault Vest... jeez.)
The AV set likes Gooey, though, more than Sap Sipper (it already resists Grass) and Hydration (it can't carry Rest or Rain Dance).

Breeding question. If I have a Ditto and Mawile (with the wrong nature) in the Daycare, the game still RNGs to determine if I get Hyper Cutter or Intimidate, right? Ditto is holding Destiny Knot, Mawile is holding Everstone.

BurningMan

fueled by beer

I would go with 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spe and use a set of Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt (hits all OU relevant Fairies) and Focus Blast as an item AssaultVest, Choice Specs, Lefties and LO are all good choices. Sap Sipper is IMO alot better unless you plan on using it on a rain team and even then Hydration isn't so great with the Rain nerf. You already resist Grass true, but the main selling point is the immunity to Spore, Leech Seed etc. that allows you to switch into most Grass types without much fear.

Pretty sure both Extremespeed and Volt Tackle are event-only moves. I don't believe those are breedable.

If that's different in Gen VI, nobody probably knows yet. As far as I'm aware, no Event pokemon have been given out with unique moves. (Could be wrong!)

Pretty sure both Extremespeed and Volt Tackle are event-only moves. I don't believe those are breedable.

If that's different in Gen VI, nobody probably knows yet. As far as I'm aware, no Event pokemon have been given out with unique moves. (Could be wrong!)
Volt Tackle can now be bred onto Pichu if holding a Light Ball. Serebii does not list Extremespeed as one of Pikachu's Egg moves, so that means someone has tried it already and failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)