Pokémon Rotom-H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! I'm new here and everything and well i decided to try out a set for Rotom-H.
Rotom-H @ Flame Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Volt Switch
-Overheat
-Trick
-Thunderbolt/HP Grass/HP Ice

Would a Flame Orb be a bad idea on Rotom-H?

Well yeah, i guess that would be a waste of a move slot. Was Will-o-Wisp's accuracy raised this generation? Or was it the PP?
Giving up an item slot and giving up multiple burn chances is not a good idea.

That item slot could be used for leftovers, chesto berry, or a choice item.

Good post, i have an identical Rotom EV yield I've been using Rotom-W in doubles, i might use tinker around using this for some singles match.

What teammates do you use to compliment Rotom-H. You said Ferrothorn are there any other options?
My team isn't exactly set yet as I'm still breeding more perfect IV pokemon, but 80% of the time it's a bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados. Rotom's weaknesses are covered entirely by ferrothorn, but Gyarados serves as an optional fire/fighting/water resist in the case of things with exceptional coverage or pokemon named Blaziken. Rotom's burns allow gyarados ease of setup, or give Ferrothorn the ability to stall out something it otherwise may not have. Thunderwave can allow medium fast pokemon like Hydreigon and Gengar to be seemingly faster, or to get up a sub they might not have otherwise deserved.

I play bulky offense (favorite playstyle since always) and that means synergy is sort of a huge deal. Rotom H and Ferrothorn's great number of resistances help that a lot.

I've breed a Bold Rotom for rotom-H with 31/x/31/31/31/31/ IV with this move set:

-Thunderbolt
-Will-o-Wisp
-Volt Switch
-Overheat
For his EV distribution i've tried to make him overall bulky,able to take physical et sp Hit very well!

He's now a core member of my team since he completly annihilate M-Mawile, Scizors, Talonflame, Ferrothorm. He also able to take a +2Garchomp Dragon Claw and Outrage (from battle maison, dont know if ev trained). Even attacks from azumarill that got WoWed.
MBlaziken is no more a threat.

With MVenusaur as ally with Leech Seed, his life span his prolonged and his weakness are chekcked.

Last edited:
I love this guy for his ability to switch in on the 2 most common status abiltys, and access to volt switch
My main question is... if i am running a pure tank rotom, i.e. no attack evs, just Hp, physical and special defense, dual status and volt switch, should i have thunderbolt or overheat? And i refuse to drop the status move. It's just to useful. Being able to slow down things down AND/OR burn them is just too good.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love this guy for his ability to switch in on the 2 most common status abiltys, and access to volt switch
My main question is... if i am running a pure tank rotom, i.e. no attack evs, just Hp, physical and special defense, dual status and volt switch, should i have thunderbolt or overheat? And i refuse to drop the status move. It's just to useful. Being able to slow down things down AND/OR burn them is just too good.
Overheat imo. The STAB move of choice is practically obligatory on Rotom-H, even if you do suffer the -2 after using it. Without Overheat, you're pretty much walled by every single Grass-type who your Rotom should be checking. The best you could do is either status or Volt Switch to something else while they get a free turn to do something else rather than being slaughtered off the bat.

an incredibly nice Korean Fellow wonder Traded me a timid rotom with what was classified as superiior IVs all around with HP grass idk where you are but Kamasahmnida also this trick set would work as a boon to a megascizor yea? seems like There isnt really a Ton of veriety in fire atm either Charizard or pyrorar who is abit lack luster The brave little toaster seems to have big upside on teams lacking fire support until we all get 10-15 people in frined Safari and be able to obtain more than 3-4 fire types

Because Geninja is a threat to Rotom-H and not Rotom-W, I find, currently while he's so popular at least, a Choice scarf set too useful.

Rotom-H@Choice Scarf
Levitate
Modest 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
~ Volt Switch
~ Thunder Wave
~ Overheat
~ WoW/Trick

Those EVs put you just over max speed Greninja and you can always OHKO with Volt Switch. No SR required. Makes a good lead too.

252+ SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 288-338 (100.69 - 118.18%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I think being weak to Water and Rock hurts his bulky prospects too much in practice. You can't keep using him as a pivot with SR on the field so you'd better spin that shit away, and the amount of opposing Rotom-W users leaves you screwed in return. Unless they are max speed Choice Scarf as well though you can Volt Switch out of there. WoW/Thunderwave immunity may just make up for it though.

+2 252 Atk Sky Plate Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 107-127 (44.39 - 52.69%) -- 23.05% chance to 2HKO

While you resist both of Talonflame's STABs you can only for certain take one +2 Brave Bird with this spread. You can't outspeed its priority anyway, so more Speed EVs won't help when Brave Bird is a superior option over Flare Blitz on you.

Because Geninja is a threat to Rotom-H and not Rotom-W, I find, currently while he's so popular at least, a Choice scarf set too useful.

Rotom-H@Choice Scarf
Levitate
~ Volt Switch
~ Thunder Wave
~ Overheat
~ WoW/Trick

Those EVs put you just over max speed Greninja and you can always OHKO with Volt Switch. No SR required. Makes a good lead too.

252+ SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 288-338 (100.69 - 118.18%) -- guaranteed OHKO
What I love about this is that, even if Greninja is not a water-type when Rotom-H comes in, Overheat is also a guaranteed OHKO against any neutral type.

252+ SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 286-337 (100 - 117.83%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Are there any notable advantages to running timid scarf Rotom over modest? And are two status moves viable, in practice, on a scarfmon or do you think Trick is a better bet? Can't wait to try this guy out when I get a chance.

+2 252 Atk Sky Plate Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 107-127 (44.39 - 52.69%) -- 23.05% chance to 2HKO
Ah - you forgot to include a Flying-type STAB. It doesn't change much though.

+2 252 Atk Sky Plate (custom) Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 161-190 (66.8 - 78.83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Volt Switch MIGHT OHKO a 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame in return (98.65 - 116.77% -- 87.5% chance to OHKO) but most Talonflames are running enough bulk to bring that percentage down considerably.

Last edited:
What I love about this is that, even if Greninja is not a water-type when Rotom-H comes in, Overheat is also a guaranteed OHKO against any neutral type.

252+ SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 286-337 (100 - 117.83%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Are there any notable advantages to running timid scarf Rotom over modest? And are two status moves viable, in practice, on a scarfmon or is Trick the safer bet? Can't wait to try this guy out when I get a chance.
No point in running Timid unless you want MAX speed, otherwise you lose out on power. This is the most significant speed tier for him because he'd have to go Timid to outspeed 130 BST. If that's what you want then go for it. Trick is more worthwhile if you want something to cripple walls but generally, the scarf serves a better purpose on you to cripple certain fast offensive threats, which is the main reason I'm using Rotom in the first place, and it can actually KO thinks unlike Prankster users. Being able to slow fast threats with Twave or burn slower tanks while resisting those moves yourself is very handy. Rotom-W seems better for bulky spreads, and Rotom-H for choice sets

Rotom-H@Choice Scarf
Levitate
~ Volt Switch
~ Thunder Wave
~ Overheat
~ WoW/Trick
I really like this set overall, been using it on Wi-Fi. I gotta say that, in the current metagame, it is way more useful to run Trick instead of WoW.

Overall, Trick seems to be more useful in more situations than WoW since the current Wi-Fi is infested with Talonflames, Charizards and Blazikens who don't care about WoWs. On the other hand, a Thunder Wave severely hurts their sweeping potential. Trick also ruins Aegislash (not as much as WoW would, but ruins it anyway), as it can't set up nor use King's Shield.

Guys, here's my Rotom:

How It Get Burnt (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Discharge
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

This guy is surprisingly good at tanking Mega Khan. What you do is Protect the Fake Out and then burn Kanga when shes on Return spam (or, even better, Sucker Punch spam), then you protect a couple of times to whittle her down.

Has been pretty good as my team's tank.

Volt Switch MIGHT OHKO a 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame in return (98.65 - 116.77% -- 87.5% chance to OHKO) but most Talonflames are running enough bulk to bring that percentage down considerably.
252 SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 270-318 (84.63 - 99.68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

While you can't straight-up OHKO standard Talonflame without prior damage, if it sets up while you bring in Rotom-H, then uses Brave Bird or Flare Blitz;

+2 252+ Atk (custom) Brave Bird vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 148-174 (56.7 - 66.66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It takes a minimum of 49 recoil damage, which on top of Volt Switch's minimum damage of 270 is exactly enough to KO standard Talonflame.

I feel like the only reason Rotom-W is superior is The more "reliable" stab, and Rocks. Hydro Pump can be spammed while overheat cannot. And Rotom-H is weak to rocks, which can be solved with a spinner. That being said Starmie/excadrill actually makes a great partner to it, Rotom-H can deal with our favorite Ghost/grass spinblockers, while both can deal with the likes of TTAR and Chomp (if exca is carrying an air ballon.) Who otherwise completely wall Rotom-H

I feel like the only reason Rotom-W is superior is The more "reliable" stab, and Rocks. Hydro Pump can be spammed while overheat cannot. And Rotom-H is weak to rocks, which can be solved with a spinner. That being said Starmie/excadrill actually makes a great partner to it, Rotom-H can deal with our favorite Ghost/grass spinblockers, while both can deal with the likes of TTAR and Chomp (if exca is carrying an air ballon.) Who otherwise completely wall Rotom-H
They have utterly different roles thanks to the typing difference, and fit differently on different teams. My Rotom-H is fantastic for resisting not just Fire and Ice like Rotom-W, but Grass and Electric as well (in that way, he's the perfect third of a FWG combo). Sure, it's weak to water instead of resisting it, but my team more than makes up for it and Volt Switch is a godsend on a type that lures in aquatic foes.

One's a bulky water, the other's this weird defensive Fire-type gizmo. Sure, they're both a type of Rotom, but then again apples and oranges are both a type of fruit.

252 SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 270-318 (84.63 - 99.68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

While you can't straight-up OHKO standard Talonflame without prior damage, if it sets up while you bring in Rotom-H, then uses Brave Bird or Flare Blitz;

+2 252+ Atk (custom) Brave Bird vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 148-174 (56.7 - 66.66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It takes a minimum of 49 recoil damage, which on top of Volt Switch's minimum damage of 270 is exactly enough to KO standard Talonflame.
I noticed you used his spread, but seemed to use a different nature (be it Timid, Calm, Bold, whatever, it wasn't Modest). If you use Modest, Volt Switch jumps up to 50% chance to OHKO with that spread.

252+ SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 294-348 (92.16 - 109.09%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Was your decision to calculate with another nature because you felt it unnecessary to lose the bulk since you're going to be hit anyway?

They have utterly different roles thanks to the typing difference, and fit differently on different teams. My Rotom-H is fantastic for resisting not just Fire and Ice like Rotom-W, but Grass and Electric as well (in that way, he's the perfect third of a FWG combo). Sure, it's weak to water instead of resisting it, but my team more than makes up for it and Volt Switch is a godsend on a type that lures in aquatic foes.

One's a bulky water, the other's this weird defensive Fire-type gizmo. Sure, they're both a type of Rotom, but then again apples and oranges are both a type of fruit.
Well i was just talking in terms of OU utility. But your right

Who are good teammates for our ovenmitted hero??
As I said, H is great for most any pair of Grass and Water to form a FWG core. It also enjoys a spinner/defogger, as its only real weakness is Stealth Rock, and likes anything that can handle its weaknesses to Water and Rock.

One teammate that fits all these categories is Empoleon, who resists both of Rotom's weaknesses, can set up hazards, can Defog hazards away, can phaze out with Roar, and on top of all that is immune to Poison, which, when combined with H's immunity to burns or paralysis, can screw over all sorts of status-dependent teams.

A good cleric is always nice, but especially in the case of H, which has great defenses and Will o Wisp to shore them up further, but relies on Pain Split or Rest for recovery and whose low HP means most Wishes will heal it up quite nicely. Mine is Florges, who enjoys Rotom's resistance to Steel and Fire, the latter of which is often lured in due to its walling of Moonblast. Heatran loves switching in on Florges, and coincidentally it can't do a damn thing to Rotom (which can't do much back, mind you, but can pivot to its hot ole heart's content).

Last edited:
One teammate that fits all these categories is Empoleon, who resists both of Rotom's weaknesses, can set up hazards, can Defog hazards away, can phaze out with Roar, and on top of all that is immune to Poison, which, when combined with H's immunity to burns or paralysis, can screw over all sorts of status-dependent teams.

A good cleric is always nice, but especially in the case of H, which has great defenses and Will o Wisp to shore them up further, but relies on Pain Split or Rest for recovery and whose low HP means most Wishes will heal it up quite nicely. Mine is Florges, who enjoys Rotom's resistance to Steel and Fire, the latter of which is often lured in due to its walling of Moonblast. Heatran loves switching in on Florges, and coincidentally it can't do a damn thing to Rotom (which can't do much back, mind you, but can pivot to its hot ole heart's content).
Now if only Empoleon got roost... and the defog wasn't hard as balls to actually get in game. Some nonsense about trading to hg/ss.

In battle spot stealth rock is less of an issue, and so FWG cores are easier to assemble there. Breloom, Ferrothorn, Venusaur, Gyarados, Starmie, Azumarill, etc. Also you can forgo wish in favor of chesto-rest.

In the exciting world of smogon though, it seems there are a lot of fairy candidates. Sylveon and Togekiss are also capable of the healbell wish combination, though depending on how tiers turn out Rotom may end up staying UU and apart from one of those fairies. (fingers crossed for togekiss staying with Heat)

I really like this set overall, been using it on Wi-Fi. I gotta say that, in the current metagame, it is way more useful to run Trick instead of WoW.

Overall, Trick seems to be more useful in more situations than WoW since the current Wi-Fi is infested with Talonflames, Charizards and Blazikens who don't care about WoWs. On the other hand, a Thunder Wave severely hurts their sweeping potential. Trick also ruins Aegislash (not as much as WoW would, but ruins it anyway), as it can't set up nor use King's Shield.
I just thought up of a funny strategy. In the scenario in which Scarfed Rotom-H with Trick is facing an Air Balloon Mold Breaker Excadrill, they'll think that they can get past you with Mold Breaker EQ, which is when you Trick them to receive their Air Balloon, protecting you from EQ since Mold Breaker only bypasses Abilities, while they are helplessly locked into EQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)