Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of IVs this feels like a dumb question to ask but is there any way of influencing what IVs will get perfect if I don't have any parents with those perfect IVs?

For example I'm trying to get a Clauncher with 31's in HP, Speed, Defense, and Special Attack. I've got tons of babies with HP, Speed, and Defense 31's but no one is coming out with Special Attack, is there some configuration I should be breeding with or am I just unlucky?

Possibly related, I am using Destiny Knot, is that locking me into the parental IVs as my potential IV pool?
Those babies are probably inheriting the imperfect Special Attack IV from one of the parents, or are just creating their own due to randomly not inheriting a Special Attack IV at all. However, the odds of any of these babies having a 31 Special Attack IV when neither of the parents has one is incredibly slim. Your best bet would be to find someone with a Ditto friend safari, catch a few dittos until one of them has a 31 in Special Attack (all Friend Safari Pokemon are guaranteed two 31 IV's), and breed one of your 31/X/31/X/X/31 babies with it. Using this method, you can even aim for a "flawless" Clawitzer (i.e. one with 31 IV's in every stat but one irrelevant stat, in this case Attack).

Those babies are probably inheriting the imperfect Special Attack IV from one of the parents, or are just creating their own due to randomly not inheriting a Special Attack IV at all. However, the odds of any of these babies having a 31 Special Attack IV when neither of the parents has one is incredibly slim. Your best bet would be to find someone with a Ditto friend safari, catch a few dittos until one of them has a 31 in Special Attack (all Friend Safari Pokemon are guaranteed two 31 IV's), and breed one of your 31/X/31/X/X/31 babies with it. Using this method, you can even aim for a "flawless" Clawitzer (i.e. one with 31 IV's in every stat but one irrelevant stat, in this case Attack).
Thank you very much, I completely was forgetting about Ditto breeding.

The item ability capsule. It is a held item that changes abilities in battle or it's a single use item like a potion or a protein that changes the ability instantly?

The item ability capsule. It is a held item that changes abilities in battle or it's a single use item like a potion or a protein that changes the ability instantly?
It's medicine, so the comparison with Protein is accurate. You get one, permanent change.

So, you guys said yesterday that Timid would be a better nature for my Rotom-W if I choose the Specs set. Then what set could be good with a Modest nature? I want to use Volt Switch to compliment my Scizor and am not sure I'd like a rain based set. Also, if you suggest a set, please add the EV spread.

A few quick questions ..

So i dont post in the wrong place, where do i put a "rate my team" thread?

Also, how updated is that simulator statsitcs thread? Are those stats current or when the thread was posted

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
This is more just me whining than anything else but when are the november usage statistics going to be posted. (cmon antar)

A few quick questions ..

So i dont post in the wrong place, where do i put a "rate my team" thread?

Also, how updated is that simulator statsitcs thread? Are those stats current or when the thread was posted
Follow up question .. When people say "spin blockers", what is that? Do i need one? And if so, what makes a good spin blocker, or rapid spinner for that matter (and do i need one of those too)

Follow up question .. When people say "spin blockers", what is that? Do i need one? And if so, what makes a good spin blocker, or rapid spinner for that matter (and do i need one of those too)
A "Spin Blocker" is a Pokémon designed to prevent your opponent from using Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards you have set up. This essentially means Ghosts, as Rapid Spin is a Normal-type attacking move, and will fail if a ghost is the target.

Keep in mind that Defog is now an option to remove hazards as well, and can't be blocked. It does remove hazards the user has set up as well though.

A 'spin blocker' is immune to Rapid Spin (Ghosts) and therefore ensures that Rapind Spin does not trigger and remove the entry hazards you have laid. They aren't really mandatory unless your team is heavily reliant on hazards.

The most common rapid spinner right now is Excadrill, so anything that can counter it probably good. Defensive Trevenant usually is a full stop to it and can retaliate with WoW. Those are the rapid spinners of the last generation who certainly will be available post Pokebank, but keep in mind that Tentacruel no longer has infinite rain to abuse.

A "Spin Blocker" is a Pokémon designed to prevent your opponent from using Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards you have set up. This essentially means Ghosts, as Rapid Spin is a Normal-type attacking move, and will fail if a ghost is the target.

Keep in mind that Defog is now an option to remove hazards as well, and can't be blocked. It does remove hazards the user has set up as well though.
So it sounds now that entry hazards are less desirable..Should i still use hazards on my team? Is there something that is "standard" that all teams should have?

So it sounds now that entry hazards are less desirable..Should i still use hazards on my team? Is there something that is "standard" that all teams should have?
Stealth Rock, because it's ridiculously overpowered, even with the availability of Defog (especially since a lot of Defog users are flying, and therefore vulnerable to Stealth Rocks). Nothing is immune to it, and it is one of the most damaging moves you can get for a single turn of use as long as you lay it down early in the game.

I'm not sure that the metagame has stabilized to adjust for the inclusion of Defog yet, though. We'll have to see whether hazards are going to be more restricted to particular playstyles (like Stall, which loves them), or are going to remain a mainstay of most teams.

When receiving eggs from the Day Care man, are the properties of the egg established when you take the egg or before it's taken?

Basically if I said no to taking an egg is it possible I could have said no to a shiny if that's what was coming next?

When receiving eggs from the Day Care man, are the properties of the egg established when you take the egg or before it's taken?

Basically if I said no to taking an egg is it possible I could have said no to a shiny if that's what was coming next?
It's set before, but I believe the set Egg RNG system only predetermines the first egg. So if you drop off two parents and then save, the first egg is always the same, but the second egg is random.

If you have 4 potential Egg Moves for a Pokémon on the father, and 4 different Egg Moves on the mother, how does the game determine precedence and which ones the baby learns?

One of my posts got passed over --

i dont post in the wrong place, where do i put a "rate my team" thread?

One of my posts got passed over --

i dont post in the wrong place, where do i put a "rate my team" thread?
Go to the Smogon Pokémon forum list. Under the "Competitive" subtitle, there is an entire sub-forum dedicated to "Rate My Team" threads. Right in there. :)

I have no idea, sorry.

So, you guys said yesterday that Timid would be a better nature for my Rotom-W if I choose the Specs set. Then what set could be good with a Modest nature? I want to use Volt Switch to compliment my Scizor and am not sure I'd like a rain based set. Also, if you suggest a set, please add the EV spread.
Timid would be a better nature if you're using a Specs Trick/Switch set (and Scarf would generally be better for that).

Modest is arguably fine for an offensive set. Just check the speed tiers to see the difference in what you outspeed, watch out for those particular threats, and be aware. Rotom's base speed isn't extremely high (which is why the supporty sets usually run Scarf), so there will be some threats that will wreck you. (For example, Timid Scarftom can outspeed Scarfed Dnite, but I don't think Modest Scarftom can).

If you're gonna run modest, I suppose I'd suggest the typical 4HP/252spatk/252speed set for special sweepers and use him as a hit and run attacker. At that point it's really a matter of picking out what form you like and relying on big fat STAB hits. For example, Rotom-W with Tbolt/Hydro Pump/WoW/Volt Switch or Pain Split.

The problem with Volt Switch is that for switching moves you generally want to either be as slow as possible (so that whatever's switching out can tank the hit) or as fast as possible (so that you can ping for a bit of damage and switch out to a resist before the attack lands). For a set that includes Volt Switch, I'm not 100% convinced that anything less than max speed is particularly worth using unless you do a bit of research and determine that partial investment in speed lets you outspeed specific major threats.

Timid would be a better nature if you're using a Specs Trick/Switch set (and Scarf would generally be better for that).e 4

Modest is arguably fine for an offensive set. Just check the speed tiers to see the difference in what you outspeed, watch out for those particular threats, and be aware. Rotom's base speed isn't extremely high (which is why the supporty sets usually run Scarf), so there will be some threats that will wreck you. (For example, Timid Scarftom can outspeed Scarfed Dnite, but I don't think Modest Scarftom can).

If you're gonna run modest, I suppose I'd suggest the typical 4HP/252spatk/252speed set for special sweepers and use him as a hit and run attacker. At that point it's really a matter of picking out what form you like and relying on big fat STAB hits. For example, Rotom-W with Tbolt/Hydro Pump/WoW/Volt Switch or Pain Split.

The problem with Volt Switch is that for switching moves you generally want to either be as slow as possible (so that whatever's switching out can tank the hit) or as fast as possible (so that you can ping for a bit of damage and switch out to a resist before the attack lands). For a set that includes Volt Switch, I'm not 100% convinced that anything less than max speed is particularly worth using unless you do a bit of research and determine that partial investment in speed lets you outspeed specific major threats.
Thanks for the info. I'll use the 4 hp/ 254 satk/ 252 spe and test various sets to see what pleases me more. And when I try the Choice set, I'll give the preference to Scarf.

Well , somewhat new to the forum but enough of being a lurker.

I have a problem with a friend that uses a Sigilyph with this set and it turned to be quite annoying

-Cosmic Power
-Stored Power
-Miracle Eye
-Roost

Item: Leftovers
Nature: I think Bold

What is the best way to counter this?? And in case it set up Cosmic Power what is the best option?

Well , somewhat new to the forum but enough of being a lurker.

I have a problem with a friend that uses a Sigilyph with this set and it turned to be quite annoying

-Cosmic Power
-Stored Power
-Miracle Eye
-Roost

Item: Leftovers
Nature: I think Bold

What is the best way to counter this?? And in case it set up Cosmic Power what is the best option?
Toxic or Whirlwind/Roar, probably. Toxic will either kill it with increasing damage if it tries to stay in, or force it to switch out to reset the Toxic damage and lose its stat increases. Either works. Whirlwind/Roar is a more direct way of eliminating those stat increases.

I'm clear that a Roar/Whirlind can eliminate the stats but at the moment I don't have a Pokemon with those attacks, and Toxic doesn't work because Sigilyph ability is Magic Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)