Out of Retirement and a Crack at XY OU

Hello! So, its been awhile since I posted in this forum. And I mean a long time. I think the last team I posted here was either at the beginning or Gen 5 or the end of Gen 4 either way I've been on hiatus for a while and I decided to get back into the swing of things with the release of Gen 6. Well enough about that lets get down to the nitty gritty bits of team building and the team itself.

Thought Process and Teambuilding

Alright, so I made a couple of teams to just play around with the new pokemon and get a feel for the game. After a while I decided to start thinking of a team that I would use seriously. 2 things from XY struck out to me as being really scary, Assault Vest Goodra and Mega Aggron. These 2 can pretty much tank anything that OU can dish out.

Ok, so with those two tanks in mind, I knew what would make them even more tanky. Wish support. There were several candidates for wish passers. I could use any of the pink blobs, the new Sylveon, Vaporeon, Celebi or Jirachi. For one thing I certainly did not need the pink blobs because Goodra is a great Special Wall. I've tested out Wish pass Sylveon in the past to little success. Jirachi would add another fighting and ground weakness, so that wouldn't be good. The choice was down to Vaporeon and Celebi. Celebi adds another fire weakness and is also weak against dark and ghost types which are everywhere this gen. Vaporeon on the other hand, had 130 base HP and provided the natural bulk of a water type. The decision was simple, good ol' Vappy was going to be my wisher of choice.

Alright so with that my defensive core was more or less set in stone. As strong as Goodra and M-Aggron is, I needed 2 things, a wallbreaker and a fairy killer. For wallbreaking I chose Infernape, it provides a great way to scare off steel types as well as provide me with priority. For Fairy killing, I picked a rather interesting pokemon. Crobat. I'll go more in depth as to why I chose him and how useful he is in the team part.

Alright, so for my final slot, I noticed that I have a glaring weakness to Rotom-W, so I needed a bulky grass type. I wanted something that could scare away rotom-w while still providing some support for the team. I decided to go back and use Celebi.

The Team

Alright, so this is my current team roaster. There are a quite a few problems with the team, still, but I want to see what you guys think about it so far. Any changes will be in bold.

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Say hello to the best physical wall in the game. I absolutely love this guy. With max EV's in Def and an Adamant nature this monster sits at a staggering 559 Def. Just let that sink in for a moment. This combined with its ability filter (which is the same as Rhyperior's "Solid Rock") lets M-Aggron take on any physical attacker in OU. To add to its behemoth defenses is a wopping 140 base Atk. Not only does this guy tank hits, but dishes out pain in the process. Iron head is his STAB move of choice. Giving him a reliable attack and some flinch hax chance on slower pokemon. EQ and Stone Edge gives me reliable combo that gives me great coverage and hits really hard even if M-Aggron no longer gets the STAB on rock moves. Stealth rock gives me entry hazards which is essential regardless of what kind of team you are playing. The switches that this guy forces makes it easy to setup SR for free.
When playing with this giant. I never had to worry about any physical attackers sweeping my team. The only physical attackers that can effectively kill M-Aggron all require a turn to setup SD or DD to guarantee a OHKO. There is also great synergy between Goodra, M-Aggron and Vaporeon. Since neither M-Aggron or Goodra have a means of regenerating health Vaporeon makes these 2 pokemons lives even easier and a nightmare for my opponents. M-Aggron is unfortunately, without its flaws. Even though it is so good at taking physical attacks most special attacks will easily destroy him. His 3 attacking moves are great, but he gets walled completely but Rotom-W who can just WoW me and nuder my attack potential or just KO with STAB Hydro Pump. Not only that, but since M-Aggron is anything but fast, pokemon that can 2HKO me while I can't OHKO them cause some issues. Fortunately these few fatal flaws in M-Aggron are covered by the rest of team, which is a lets M-Aggron focus on doing what it does best: Tanking any and all physical attackers.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Power Whip
- Sludge Wave

This is one of the best special walls in OU. Not only does it sport an amazing 554 Sp.Def with a Sassy nature and Assault Vest, it has a base 110 Sp.Atk and 100 Atk to boot. Its ability Gooey is especially useful for the members of my team because it slows down physical attackers which are easily ripped to shreds by M-Aggron. I really enjoy playing Goodra. He's so tanky, but at the same time has a very diverse movepool to abuse and force switches. Draco Meteor is the STAB move of choice in this set. As expected it hits like a truck on anything that doesn't resist it except for fucking fairy types. Fire Blast gives me a way to deal with pesky steel types that can take Draco Meteor and retaliate. Power Whip is there to deal with water types, but more specifically Rotom-W, which would otherwise wall Goodra and wittle it down with WoW and Pain split. Sludge Wave helps against some fairy types that might switch in to scare off Goodra.
Goodra is definitely a different approach to psuedo-legendary pokemons. Instead of being an offensive powerhouse, Goodra is more like a tank, spongy hits while hitting back hard. This is made even easier with Vaporeon using wish to heal up both M-Aggron and Goodra, to near full HP. While M-Aggron can handle most physical attacks in OU, the same applies to Goodra. Most unboosted special attacks from pokemon in OU will fail to OHKO Goodra, while Goodra can OHKO them back. Unfortunately, like M-Aggron, Goodra is not without its flaws. Goodra is not the best at taking physical hits, so having Gooey activate may come at a steep price at times. Also, since I am running a Sassy nature with no speed EV's Goodra can be outspeeded easily like M-Aggron and KO'ed. Luckily for both M-Aggron and Goodra, Vaporeon helps cover these weaknesses by pashi

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Protect
- Yawn

Ah! Good ol' Vappy. It's here to pass wishes to my team as well as act as a psuedo hazer with yawn making sure that pokemon can't just setup on it. With its superb 130 base HP stat, it keeps my 2 main walls healthy and if needed can also act as a wall itself. This is a pretty standard set for wish support Vaporeon. Scald is there for STAB and the burn chance is always nice. Wish + Protect guarantee that Vaporeon is able to heal itself. Yawn is great for stopping sweeps as well as just forcing switches on unfavourable match ups. Along with M-Aggron and Goodra, Vappy makes my defensive core for this team.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Spd / 180 Atk / 76 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

The flaming monkey is back in Gen 6. Unfortunately, it didn't get any new toys to play with in XY, but it is still an excellent wall breaker. STAB overheat and close combat punches holes in the enemies team's defenses. Thunderpunch helps take care of water types that aren't called Rotom-W. Mach punch is just a way to finish off weakened enemies. I have had some mixed success with Infernape. Sometimes, it absolutely devastates the opponents team, while others it seems like its barely needed. I would appreciate some suggestions on what do about this.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Spd / 100 SAtk / 92 Def
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

I'll be perfectly honest. Celebi doesn't really feel like it fits on the team. The only reason its here is to check Rotom-W. Even the EV spread is weird. I sorta played with some of the numbers to give it some mixed bulk as well as attack power. To be honest, I feel that this is the weakest link on my team. 7/10 times I won't even switch to Celebi in a game. I appreciate the paralysis and heal bell support from it, but I feel that it just doesn't fit on my team. I am stumped for what to try instead of Celebi that would fit well with this team, but still be able to check Rotom-W.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Cross Poison
- Taunt
- Roost

Last, but definitely not least is Crobat. I'll be honest. I was pretty hesitant at first at using Crobat, but once I started using him, he worked perfectly. Its amazing 130 base Speed, lets it outspeed any non-scarfed fairy type and KO with Cross Poison. Brave Bird is a very strong STAB and lets Crobat do some cleaning up late game. Taunt helps against stall teams and forces some pokemon to either switch out or use an attack that won't kill Crobat. Roost help keeps him healthy and helps mitigate Stealth rock damage. I can't stress how underrated Crobat is in the current metagame. With fairy types being numerous, Crobat absolutely crushes them. The only problem for Crobat is steel types that can switch into its dual STAB with impunity. Luckily Infernape can deal with any steel types easily with its 2 STAB attacks. All in all Crobat has done a great job at creating space for the team as well as cleaning up late game.

Final Thoughts/Conclusion

As my first XY Team. This is bound to have quite a few flaws, but I am having a lot of fun with this team currently and I hope to have even more fun in the future. Any and all feedback is appreciated. I still have a few Mega Evo's to try out and I am free to suggestions for swapping pokemon or EV changes, so don't hesitate to suggest something. Anyawys, thanks for reading this and thanks for the rates!

Love the team!

I hate Rotom-W and have tried many different checks and counters too. Celebi was pretty bad for me also - grass/psychic is a pretty bad typing. Gastrodon and Excadrill are probably the best, for different reasons.

Gastrodon absorbs both Volt Switch and Hydro Pump, with only WoW to worry about, but can hit Rotom with Toxic, reducing it's stalling power. Excadrill destroys Rotom with a Mold Breaker EQ, as long as you invest enough to outspeed and come in on a Volt Switch.

An unorthodox choice is Mega Ampharos (however you already have a mega, of course) but he takes both of Rotom-W's STAB's and hits back with a powerful Volt Switch or Dragon Pulse.

Keep going, cause this is an awesome team.

Love the team!

I hate Rotom-W and have tried many different checks and counters too. Celebi was pretty bad for me also - grass/psychic is a pretty bad typing. Gastrodon and Excadrill are probably the best, for different reasons.

Gastrodon absorbs both Volt Switch and Hydro Pump, with only WoW to worry about, but can hit Rotom with Toxic, reducing it's stalling power. Excadrill destroys Rotom with a Mold Breaker EQ, as long as you invest enough to outspeed and come in on a Volt Switch.

An unorthodox choice is Mega Ampharos (however you already have a mega, of course) but he takes both of Rotom-W's STAB's and hits back with a powerful Volt Switch or Dragon Pulse.

Keep going, cause this is an awesome team.
Thanks for the input. Mold Breaker Excadrill sounds like an interesting option. I'll be sure to try it out.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello, got the request!

So I LOVE what you have done here. (I don't have much time so I'll be quick!)

Celebi looks pretty awkward. I suggest replacing it for Latias. Latias gets Wish, which is perfect for this team (and gives Vaporeon room for Heal Bell). Latias retains most of the bulky things that Celebi was doing -- it can even switch into Rotom-W! (also, I'm pretty sure 208 spe Rotom-W outruns Goodra so if you get WoW'd Power Whip is useless; might want to replace Whip for Dragon Tail or Dragon Pulse or any other filler move since PWhip doesn't amount to much anyway).

Hope I helped! Good luck!

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, got your request, and i have to say that this team seems really cool! What it looks like is bw early offense, where the strategy was basically solid switch ins and pummeling switch outs, which is fine i guess, but i personally find that to really only work early ladder, and as such against worse players. I believe a good, solid Win condition would benefit you so much, as it gives your team purpose. I also like to team build around that (others dont but whatever fk stall.)

As such I recommend trying SD Mega Lucario as it is just devastating this metagame. Nothing wants to take a adaptability boosted Close Combat, but the things that do are taken out by something else on your team. Shafting ape over still gives you a nice kang check, a nice wallbreaker earlygame( at least thats how i play luke a lot of the time) and you still keep priority in the far better steel typed 80 BP Bullet Punch (adaptability boosted). Hes also bot as easily revenged by talonflame, another plus. The steel typing is kind of redundant with 2 fight resists and a nice wall in vaporeon. I also second Latias but ill let shurtugal come up with the set for that.

Lastly, i think running Bulky Defog Bat would be better. This allows you to fuck over stall teams with lukers and bat, gives you a decent pivot if you run u turn, and allow hazards to not mess with mega aggron (who hates spikes). Good luck with your team, p hard to write (because im on a bus lol).

Lucario @ lucarionite
Trait: Inner Focus-->Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Will edit later with BulkBatman set
EDIT: wow brainfart i completely forgot about mega aggron. KidX

Last edited:
My current favorite Rotom-W counter is Roserade. It can do a lot of the same things Celebi can do, like act as a cleric, but with better typing. Roserade can also put pokemon to sleep, absorb anything Rotom throws at it and abuse rest. She's fragile on the physical side but her typing makes up for it. I'd recommend a specially defensive set.

As for Crobat, I've found that my favorite set is:
Crobat @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Super Fang
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Taunt

He was a great mega-gengar check back when mega-gengar was still a problem, now that Megengar is gone you could probably lower his speed a little bit and invest in HP to give him a little bit more bulk. I don't know what the ideal speed is for him at this point though. Even 0 Hp/ 0 Def/ 0 SDef Crobat can soak up a surprising amount of resisted and even neutral hits before he finally falls, but to be honest his speed is his best defense so you want to keep it fairly high. Defog and Taunt are pretty self-explanatory, as is Brave Bird. I prefer Super Fang over Cross Poison since it's much more effective at hitting bulky 'mons and since Poison barely gives you any more coverage than Flying, it only lets you hit electric Pokemon for nuetral and Crobat shouldn't be facing off against them anyways.

Hello, got the request!

So I LOVE what you have done here. (I don't have much time so I'll be quick!)

Celebi looks pretty awkward. I suggest replacing it for Latias. Latias gets Wish, which is perfect for this team (and gives Vaporeon room for Heal Bell). Latias retains most of the bulky things that Celebi was doing -- it can even switch into Rotom-W! (also, I'm pretty sure 208 spe Rotom-W outruns Goodra so if you get WoW'd Power Whip is useless; might want to replace Whip for Dragon Tail or Dragon Pulse or any other filler move since PWhip doesn't amount to much anyway).

Hope I helped! Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. Wish Latias does not seem to be too bad of an idea, but do you have any sets in mind? That would be really helpful.

Hey man, got your request, and i have to say that this team seems really cool! What it looks like is bw early offense, where the strategy was basically solid switch ins and pummeling switch outs, which is fine i guess, but i personally find that to really only work early ladder, and as such against worse players. I believe a good, solid Win condition would benefit you so much, as it gives your team purpose. I also like to team build around that (others dont but whatever fk stall.)

As such I recommend trying SD Mega Lucario as it is just devastating this metagame. Nothing wants to take a adaptability boosted Close Combat, but the things that do are taken out by something else on your team. Shafting ape over still gives you a nice kang check, a nice wallbreaker earlygame( at least thats how i play luke a lot of the time) and you still keep priority in the far better steel typed 80 BP Bullet Punch (adaptability boosted). Hes also bot as easily revenged by talonflame, another plus. The steel typing is kind of redundant with 2 fight resists and a nice wall in vaporeon. I also second Latias but ill let shurtugal come up with the set for that.

Lastly, i think running Bulky Defog Bat would be better. This allows you to fuck over stall teams with lukers and bat, gives you a decent pivot if you run u turn, and allow hazards to not mess with mega aggron (who hates spikes). Good luck with your team, p hard to write (because im on a bus lol).

Lucario @ lucarionite
Trait: Inner Focus-->Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Will edit later with BulkBatman set
Thanks! As for the comment of SD Mega Lucario. It sounds interesting,but if I were to use it, then it would mean replacing M-aggron which would sorta mess up the whole idea behind my team. I would also have to then try to find another pokemon to use entry hazards which would be a problem as well. The Bulky Defog Bat idea seems to be fairly interesting, so I will give that a try.

My current favorite Rotom-W counter is Roserade. It can do a lot of the same things Celebi can do, like act as a cleric, but with better typing. Roserade can also put pokemon to sleep, absorb anything Rotom throws at it and abuse rest. She's fragile on the physical side but her typing makes up for it. I'd recommend a specially defensive set.

As for Crobat, I've found that my favorite set is:
Crobat @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Super Fang
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Taunt

He was a great mega-gengar check back when mega-gengar was still a problem, now that Megengar is gone you could probably lower his speed a little bit and invest in HP to give him a little bit more bulk. I don't know what the ideal speed is for him at this point though. Even 0 Hp/ 0 Def/ 0 SDef Crobat can soak up a surprising amount of resisted and even neutral hits before he finally falls, but to be honest his speed is his best defense so you want to keep it fairly high. Defog and Taunt are pretty self-explanatory, as is Brave Bird. I prefer Super Fang over Cross Poison since it's much more effective at hitting bulky 'mons and since Poison barely gives you any more coverage than Flying, it only lets you hit electric Pokemon for nuetral and Crobat shouldn't be facing off against them anyways.
Thanks for your help! Ok, so Roserade seems to be a good idea. As for the Crobat set, I will also give that a try, but the lack of a means to take care of fairy types seem a little unappealing.

If you're concerned about fairys replacing Super Fang isn't a terrible choice, but I'd say it really limits the number of things you can hit (and it doesnt even affect mawile, the most threatening fairy). In the case of Azumarill and Togekiss Cross Poison will only do about 10% more damage than BB and assuming stealth Rock is out either move will 2HKO. And since you really should never send Crobat out against an electric type, Brave Bird outclasses cross poison in nearly every way aside from hitting those two pokemon. If you're that concerned about Fairys put sludge bomb on Roserade.

The lackluster Celebi performance is probably more due to the cruddy EVs it was given, in my honest opinion. Celebi doesn't have the typing, nor bulk, to go "mixed wall with some power." For countering Rotom-w, you realy should be full SpD, if you want Celebi's performance to be more-than-lackluster. As for this:
Love the team!

Gastrodon absorbs both Volt Switch and Hydro Pump, with only WoW to worry about, but can hit Rotom with Toxic, reducing it's stalling power.
Gastrodon isn't doing jack shit to Rotom's most common set, Chesto-Resto. However, since you're not liking Celebi much, and it does look severely awkward on this team, I'd have to agree with exchanging it for Wish Latias. Although, Goodra is probably still a great Rotom-w counter, I believe TBolt + Draco meteor ends most Rotom-w's lives, so Latias really won't be necessary at all, either, but you can always give it a try. I also am not seeing the purpose for Crobat, as Aggron already counters most Fairies you'll ever need to. Crobat is a much better wall-breaker than it is doing what you have it doing.

Furthermore, I am not at all a fan of Infernape; it's usually too weak to get anything done. As such, I'd just drop Infernape for something that can provide you with a "win condition" like Swords Dance Talonflame, who provides you with the best priority in the current OU tier. For hazard removing, I'd opt for the Bulky Defog Crobat set, which was an idea mentioned earlier. And I'd definitely use Super Fang on it, for some wall-breaking abilities. (I think TCR is posting the Bulky Defog Bat later?)

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Roost / Tailwind / Will-O-Wisp
ability: Gale Wings
item: Sharp Beak
evs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
nature: Adamant
The EVs are for out-speeding Kangaskhan's Sucker Punch, with enough in HP to be able to switch in twice without being KO'd by Rocks.

Last edited:
Im more in favor of suggestins Bulky Defog Mandibuzz. With foul play Ive found the buzzard to be invaluable on my teams. It has a ton of bulk and comes in on pokes trying to swords dance and whatnot then fires fouly play and can usually snag one to two hit ko's.

The lackluster Celebi performance is probably more due to the cruddy EVs it was given, in my honest opinion. Celebi doesn't have the typing, nor bulk, to go "mixed wall with some power." For countering Rotom-w, you realy should be full SpD, if you want Celebi's performance to be more-than-lackluster. As for this:

Gastrodon isn't doing jack shit to Rotom's most common set, Chesto-Resto. However, since you're not liking Celebi much, and it does look severely awkward on this team, I'd have to agree with exchanging it for Wish Latias. Although, Goodra is probably still a great Rotom-w counter, I believe TBolt + Draco meteor ends most Rotom-w's lives, so Latias really won't be necessary at all, either, but you can always give it a try. I also am not seeing the purpose for Crobat, as Aggron already counters most Fairies you'll ever need to. Crobat is a much better wall-breaker than it is doing what you have it doing.

Furthermore, I am not at all a fan of Infernape; it's usually too weak to get anything done. As such, I'd just drop Infernape for something that can provide you with a "win condition" like Swords Dance Talonflame, who provides you with the best priority in the current OU tier. For hazard removing, I'd opt for the Bulky Defog Crobat set, which was an idea mentioned earlier. And I'd definitely use Super Fang on it, for some wall-breaking abilities. (I think TCR is posting the Bulky Defog Bat later?)

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Roost / Tailwind / Will-O-Wisp
ability: Gale Wings
item: Sharp Beak
evs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
nature: Adamant
The EVs are for out-speeding Kangaskhan's Sucker Punch, with enough in HP to be able to switch in twice without being KO'd by Rocks.
Well, I really love Talonflame, so I think that wouldn't be a bad idea. I will give that a try. Also, one of the things that has been bothering me after using Wish Latias is that Vaporeon seems to not have a real job on the team now. I would appreciate some suggestions or thoughts on that.

Hmmm. Actually, seeing as how weak to ice you are, I'd opt for removing Crobat for Defog Scizor. Defog Scizor etches some much needed resists that you would quite honestly love to have, like Ice and Dragon, most notably.

As for Vaporeon, perhaps Toxic Stall Gliscor could be of use. It is a fantastic physical wall, and I could see it helping with many things, like Tyranitar and Landorus-t, who can threaten with common Rock-type attacks; be warry with Ice Beam / HP Ice, though. (I see this could seem a bit hypocritical, removing an Ice-weak mon then adding another Ice-weak mon, however, Gliscor is probably the best physical wall in the tier, and it synergizes quite well with your current team)

Last edited:
Ok, so quick update. Wish Latias has not been working out for me. The fact that it only has a base 80 Hp while Goodra has base 90 is not good. I think I prefer vaporeon over Wish Latias. I have also switched over to a bulky defog crobat. It is surprisingly useful. Also infernape has been changed to SD Talonflame because Talonlfame can clean up so good late game with a SD boost. I will update the team when I later. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still in the process of testing out Mandibuzz as well as Defog Scizor which seems pretty interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)