[QC Ready 2/3] Kangaskhan

While I am sure the above post was meant to be humorous more so than a serious suggestion, I really do have to agree to some extent - a con would imply that Mega Kangaskhan is in possession of characteristics that make it undesirable, or make other Pokemon more desirable by comparison. We both know, however, that this is untrue, especially when its only competition, Mega Gengar and Mega Blaziken, have been banished to the Ubers metagame. As far as damage output is concerned, the only other (legal Mega) Pokemon capable of matching (or outmatching) Mega Kangaskhan is Mega Mawile, who has a worse movepool, base 50 speed, and requires extensive (by comparison) team support to function as a sweeper.

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>Its STAB doesn't get any super effective coverage.</li>
Does this really matter given that even resisted Returns deal ridiculous amounts of damage, or that she has the neutral coverage to hit Pokemon like Ferrothorn (Earthquake) or Skarmory (Crunch) really, really hard, anyways? I mean:

*+0 252 ATK (Adamant) [Mega] Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch (40 Base Power) vs. 224 HP / 252 DEF (Impish) Skarmory: (8.2 - 9.7%)
**+1 252 ATK (Adamant) [Mega] Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch (20 Base Power) vs. 224 HP / 252 DEF (Impish) Skarmory: (6.4 - 7.6%)
+2 252 ATK (Adamant) [Mega] Kangaskhan Return (102 Base Power) vs. 224 HP / 252 DEF (Impish) Skarmory: (46.1 - 54.4%)
+2 252 ATK (Adamant) [Mega] Kangaskhan Crunch (80 Base Power) vs. 224 HP / 252 DEF (Impish) Skarmory: (48.6 - 57.1%)

*+2 252 ATK (Adamant) [Mega] Kangakhan Crunch (80 Base Power) vs. +0 224 HP / 252 DEF (Impish) Skarmory: (32.4 - 38.2%)
**+2 252 ATK (Adamant) [Mega] Kangakhan Crunch (40 Base Power) vs. -1 224 HP / 252 DEF (Impish) Skarmory: (24.1 - 28.7%)

*The asterix are calculating individual Parental Bond hits. Calculations without asterix are calculated normally.

Assuming Skarmory switches into the Power-Up Punch (an incredibly likely scenario), he'll lose (60.7 - 71.7%) if the Mega Kanga follows up with Return, and (63.2 - 74%) from Crunch. If the initial Crunch causes a defense drop, Skarmory will lose (71.1 - 84.2%) of his health. Tack on an extra 12.5% if he happens to be running Rocky Helmet over Leftovers. Skarmory's only reasonable response is to Whirlwind Mega Kangaskhan out and pray that whatever else is forced in doesn't have the power to kill him at 40% or less.

Not saying Skarmory isn't good at what he does. Rather, I'm just saying that boosted Returns deal absolutely massive damage, and it's not like boosted Returns are unlikely.

<li>It is relatively weak without a boost.</li>
I beg to differ:

+0 252 ATK (Adamant) Parental Bond [Mega] Kangaskhan Return (102 Base Power) vs. 248 HP / 252 DEF (Bold) Rotom-W: (60.7 - 71.6%) - Guaranteed 2HKO.

Un-boosted Parental Bond 2HKOs one of the most common, physically-defensive Pokemon in the OU tier, both pre and post Pokebank.

<li>Steel is a really good type right now, so Normal-type moves are hard to spam.</li>
They're most likely going to have to eat a Power-Up Punch first, though, and as we've seen with Skarmroy, few Steel-types are actually going to stick around after being barraged by +2 Return, Crunch, or Earthquake.

Mega Kangaskhan is too good at forcing switches to really be able to assume that Steel-Types are going to be taking Mega Kangaskhan on unboosted.

<li>It's normal forme lacks its bulk, power and Speed, so it really wants to Mega Evolve as quickly as possible.</li>
</ul>
I agree with this one, though.

I think it might be better to mention something about Crunch vs. Earthquake and how it leaves it unable to deal with certain threats, but you've kinda covered that in the analysis below.

I'm not a QC guy or even super familiar with writing analysis, though. I might be making too many assumptions. Just my two-cents.

Last edited:
If anything, I agree that it is not "relatively weak" without any boosts. To give a general comparison, if you are using Double-Edge, you are using something that is hitting just a little bit less hard as a Choice Band Terrakion's Close Combat (assuming I know my mechanics). Sure, it doesn't have much coverage, but that is still really strong, so...

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, the cons section should be remade. Mega Kanga is strong as fuck before a boost, Steel-types are fucked up by Mega Kanga's coverage moves, and Normal moves get pretty good neutral coverage when you have the right coverage moves. I would make the cons look like this:

- Relies on Sucker Punch to deal with faster Pokemon, which can be taken advantage of with moves such as Substitute, Will-O-Wisp, and Encore.
- Relies on Power Up Punch to sweep, meaning that Ghost-types annoy her a lot.
- Normal typing gives it zero resistances, meaning it has almost zero defensive merit on a team.

I mean, if one wanted to put no cons for Mega Kanga that would work too, but we have to put a few and these are the best i could come up with.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I haven't changed the Cons section since I wrote it when the generation first began, I'll edit it though.

Isn't the most obvious Con that it has 4MSS? It's a phenomenal pokemon and all but it doesn't have any one set that just destroys everything (unlike Gen4 DD Gyarados, Garchomp, Mixmence etc).

<li>It's normal forme lacks its bulk, power and Speed, so it really wants to Mega Evolve as quickly as possible.</li>
Actually, even this is not entirely true. Scrappy Kangaskhan, before Mega Evolving, is quite capable of baiting typical ghost switch-ins like Sableye and Gengar, weakening them with STAB return or PuP. To wit:
  • 252+ Atk Kangaskhan Return vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Sableye: 141-166 (46.5 - 54.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • +1 252+ Atk Kangaskhan Return vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Sableye: 210-247 (69.3 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 223-264 (85.4 - 101.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Sableye is the only thing that really answers this (also Dusclops but it's utter shite in any other context so who cares). Gengar gets one-shot before doing anything. Aegislash can be brought down with Scrappy PuP followed by Earthquake after Stealth Rock, and you can always mega up after bringing it down to 80% health (at which point, RIP in pieces
  • +1 252+ Atk Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 204-240 (62.9 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
The Normal-type doesn't have resistances, but it has a crucial immunity to Ghost, which could very well be exploited even against things like Gengar. Its only weakness is Fighting; this is one reason, the other being Celebi's bulk, that M-Khan is so hard to bring down.

Obviously was the "Cons: None" post a joke, but I don't see this as an exaggeration at all. It is close to perfection.

Perhaps mention that it takes up your mega slot as a con?
Also, I really don't think that Steel's an amazing type. It's still good, but it got nerfed in the transition, that's for sure. Ferro's fallen from grace due to losing his precious infinite rain and two resistances {while gaining one that isn't nearly as good imo}, and Scizor... Is Scizor, and you wouldn't really be cracking that egg regardless. Fuck Genesect though, but Sucker Punch still does a number to it.

Also, should be *Its normal forme, as otherwise you're saying "It is normal forme," which isn't really what you want.

Also, I really don't think that Steel's an amazing type. It's still good, but it got nerfed in the transition, that's for sure. Ferro's fallen from grace due to losing his precious infinite rain and two resistances {while gaining one that isn't nearly as good imo}, and Scizor... Is Scizor, and you wouldn't really be cracking that egg regardless. Fuck Genesect though, but Sucker Punch still does a number to it.

Also, should be *Its normal forme, as otherwise you're saying "It is normal forme," which isn't really what you want.
I would never call having Mega Kangaskhan, specifically, taking up the mega slot, a con.
Obviously was the "Cons: None" post a joke, but I don't see this as an exaggeration at all. It is close to perfection.
Yeah, I agree. That statement is not far from the truth.

It's the best Mega Evolution available, though.

I'm not even exaggerating. You really do not have any reason to not build a team that is capable of including Mega Kangaskhan (not that it is a particularly hard feat since Mega Kangaskhan pretty much fits on every team) because it's just so ridiculously powerful. How could running Mega Kangaskhan possibly be a bad thing?

It's the best Mega Evolution available, though.

I'm not even exaggerating. You really do not have any reason to not build a team that is capable of including Mega Kangaskhan (not that it is a particularly hard feat since Mega Kangaskhan pretty much fits on every team) because it's just so ridiculously powerful. How could running Mega Kangaskhan possibly be a bad thing?
And it's not even slightly difficult to fit on a team because of its type coverage and normal-type. Any noob can just slap it on a team and have it carry their ACRE. Countless times has it been when I was fighting someone in the 1800s when I'm dominating this person that isn't even half decent but then I end up losing for the soul purpose of the fact that he had Mega Kangaskhan... it's getting really dumb at this point and it's taking a lot away from the competitiveness of XY OU.
Some Pokemons, such as Volcarona, are amazing but have a plethora of weaknesses and require rapid spin/defog support and let's not forget Volcarona is even more difficult to use now, with the existence of Talonflame. Mega Kangaskhan, on the other hand, has to worry about a number of Pokémon, which you could count on one hand, that are checks at best.

Last edited:
I would never call having Mega Kangaskhan, specifically, taking up the mega slot, a con..
Taking up your Mega Slot is undoubtedly a con, to pretend otherwise is ludicrous (and not worth mentioning in an analysis imo). Whether it is outweighed by what it brings to the table is another thing entirely, but to act like it is not costing you something is just silly. I just don't think that it needs to be written in the analysis section of every pokemon with a mega stone, it's common sense.

It's the best Mega Evolution available, though... How could running Mega Kangaskhan possibly be a bad thing?
Because the game isn't played in a vacuum of 1v1's. Deciding to use Kangaskhanite on your team is definitely a good decision, but it's not like every combination of 5 pokemon in the game wants MegaKangaskhan as their 6th. A lot probably do, and I would assume that the majority of teams do want MegaKang as their 6th, but there are plenty of teams that work well with a different mega because they are designed to do so. Previously Scizor was the best 6th man for a lot of teams (and he didn't even prevent you using other pokemon like megastones do), but that never meant every team wants Scizor.

Aside:
Countless times has it been when I was fighting someone in the 1800s when I'm dominating this person that isn't even half decent but then I end up losing for the soul purpose of the fact that he had Mega Kangaskhan.
If that's why you lost then either they are better than half-decent or you're worse than them. Not preparing your team to fight one of the top 10 pokemon in OU is your own fault. Plenty of us are above 1800 without MegaKang sooooooo....

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Guys please stop. I hadn't even changed the cons yet, there's no need to discuss what's being changed...Anyway, I updated the cons, there really aren't many that I can think of without sounding repetitive (which I already think I'm guilty of here, and it's only 2 cons >_>).

Taking up your Mega Slot is undoubtedly a con, to pretend otherwise is ludicrous (and not worth mentioning in an analysis imo). Whether it is outweighed by what it brings to the table is another thing entirely, but to act like it is not costing you something is just silly. I just don't think that it needs to be written in the analysis section of every pokemon with a mega stone, it's common sense.

Because the game isn't played in a vacuum of 1v1's. Deciding to use Kangaskhanite on your team is definitely a good decision, but it's not like every combination of 5 pokemon in the game wants MegaKangaskhan as their 6th. A lot probably do, and I would assume that the majority of teams do want MegaKang as their 6th, but there are plenty of teams that work well with a different mega because they are designed to do so. Previously Scizor was the best 6th man for a lot of teams (and he didn't even prevent you using other pokemon like megastones do), but that never meant every team wants Scizor.

Aside:

If that's why you lost then either they are better than half-decent or you're worse than them. Not preparing your team to fight one of the top 10 pokemon in OU is your own fault. Plenty of us are above 1800 without MegaKang sooooooo....
It's already been made clear that you can't fully prepare a team for Mega Kanga. I lost because all he had to do was use PuP, which he will get the opportunity to do eventually because when one of his pokemon die he gets switch initiative as well as other reasons, and then it goes from a 6-3 in my advantage to instantly becoming a 3-0, with him the victor. Yes, I do beat people who use it all the time because I'm just better than them and, no, I don't use it either because I see it as a handholder but that doesn't change the fact that it undoubtedly smashes through 95% of the meta. Your inability to either comprehend or accept that fact is not my fault.
Guys please stop. I hadn't even changed the cons yet, there's no need to discuss what's being changed...Anyway, I updated the cons, there really aren't many that I can think of without sounding repetitive (which I already think I'm guilty of here, and it's only 2 cons >_>).
Agreed, we should stop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)