Above the Clouds

The moon and the planets are there.
And new hopes for knowledge and peace are there.
And therefore as we set sail; we ask God's blessing -
on the most hazardous, and dangerous, and greatest adventure
of which man has ever embarked.

ABOVE THE CLOUDS

Hey guys- this is a team that I have been using on the PO Ladder for a couple of weeks. I was able to reach first page (roughly 1550 points) in a only a couple of hours after finalization while beating decent battlers there rather easily. The team itself is a heavy offense team utilizing the phenomenal Wobbuffett to open up holes for a sweep with either Landorus or Lucario by killing scarfers or Encoring walls and hazard setters. Don't look at Wobbuffett as just a poor mans MGengar. Even though it lacks the movepool and offensive capabilities, Wobb makes up for it with its superior bulk and Encore to create easy free switches for the team to utilize to its maximum potential.

BUILDING PROCESS!
Ok I one day I was browsing through some of the super old RMT Archives from Gen IV. One of the teams that I remember stealing years ago when I played DPP Ubers was a team that used a Wobbuffett+Lucario core to sweep teams. So I went along with that.

Now I wanted another sweeper. Something that could beat Aegislash and take Ground/Bug/Fighting moves . At first I used NP Thundurus but that didn't do as well as I wanted because it's vulnerable to revenge killers. Then I used RP Genesect since it's hard to revenge kill but it didn't end up fitting my requirements. I used RP Landorus instead.

Now I really wanted some hazard support. Since Wobbuffett can beat Defog users I had no problem using a suicide lead, so Deo-D was my go to.

Now I need a ghost type to spin block. So either Gengar or Aegislash were my obvious choices. I originally went with Gengar but I got 6-0 by bulky Mega Scizor first battle so I dropped it for Aegislash.

I really lacked an answer to stuff like Keldeo, Gyarados, Volcarona and Greninja. At first I tried a Genesect with HP Rock to beat Volcarona but Genesect is slower so that didn't work at all. I decided to add BD Azumarill as another sweeper but I dropped that for CB Azumarill. This is the finalized version.

THE TEAM!

The brainwake, causes vessels to circulate
like constellations reflect at night off the lake

Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

9/10 times, you want to lead with Deo-D just because you can tbh. Personally, I like to use Deo-D because his bulk allows it to do things that Deo-S could only wish to do such as tanking U-Turns from Genesect and such. (Without actually needing to invest in bulk!) Rocky Helmet is handy for Mega kanga who tries to setup on you but it also adds passive damage to U-Turners, limiting their switch-ins even more once hazards are set. Taunt+Thunder Wave is so great for stopping Defogers and if a taunted Defog gets trapped; they are extremely vulnerable to Wobbuffett. The moves also help Deoxys be less of a setup fodder. You could opt for Deoxys-S instead but I really like not having to hold a sash and the extra bulk is worth it.

Sound the horn; we come rumblin through the function
Precise laser beam technique to touch somethin

Wobbuffet (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 228 Def / 228 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard
WOBBBBB! The secret to this teams success. Treat it well and you will be treated well in return. The amount of utilities Wobb offers is unreal. It beats every scarfer locked into a neutral move and has the potential to turn any defensive mon to cannon fodder for one of my offensive pokes. However, Wobb isn't that great all the time since it is a free switch in for Aegislash once it gets a kill, so the trick is to not actually kill anything with it! If the other team has an Aegislash or a Defog user, you have to be extremely careful when bringing out Wobb since it is eventually a free Defog or Shadow Ball for the opponent to take advantage of. In that scenario, the best move is to switch to something immune or something that resists an encored move. Anyways the EVs are what the site said to use. The speed EVs outspeed Quagsire or something lol because I had trouble with it in the early stages of the team and haven't found a reason to remove them yet. Safeguard is also very important, so don't change that for Destiny Bond. It gives me a free switch on a status move once activated.

Stand like Collossus, regardless to whom or what
Numerous attempts at my life, so who to trust

Aegislash (M) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 96 HP / 144 Atk / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd
Rash Nature
- Kings Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
Aegislash is the King of XY OU no doubt. I am using a mixed set like I used in my last RMT and my feelings of it have not changed. This is still the best set Aegislash can run and is insanely hard to switch into. With fantastic mixed bulk, resistances and Encore support from Wobb, Aegislash is a huge threat and can annihilate stall teams. Spooky Plate boosted Shadow Ball+Sneak+possible hazards is hard for any mon, even bulky pokemon to stomach. Sacred Sword adds
phenomenal coverage and with the spread I can outspeed and KO tyranitar while getting a 2HKO on Blissey and Chansey. Kings Shield puts me back into defensive phase and lets me tank a EQ from defensive Landorus and Flamethrower from Scarf Genesect.
I've been considering using an even more offensive spread with Flash Cannon or something over Kings Shield but I'm not sure.

Invade your zone, ruin like ancient Rome
I span the universe and return to Earth to claim my throne

Lucario (M) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave

NP Lucario is an absolute boss. It literally kills everything with a +2 under its belt and is Wobbuffetts main partner in crime. The move spread is a little strange since it doesn't hit Aegislash hard but I don't really care. +2 Dark Pulse still doesn't OHKO 100% anyways (Flash Cannon does 40%-47% so its still decent) and the extra power on Aura Sphere to kill Rotom is defiantly worth it imo since Landorus can't beat it unless it's weakened. Also a NVE Flash cannon/Aura Sphere is same BP as a neutral Dark Pulse so the coverage is negligible on things like Gyara and Tentacruel. Vacuum Wave is necessary so I don't get revenge killed by Genesect and other scarfers. (it KOs Gene after Rocks+Helmet damage)
Tbh I switch NP and SD luke around a lot. SD luke handles Thundurus and Talonflame better (who are both a pain in the ass) but NP is generally a bigger threat to most teams.

The maker, owner, plus soul controller
Ayatollah rest in the sky, the cloud's my sofa

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
The Aerial Based God Landorus! Landorus is here to take advantage of Earthquakes and is my only real check to Aegislash. I use Timid to deal with EBelt Genesect better in case Lucario isn't Mega evolved yet and the power loss isn't that noticeable either. The only big threat I might lose to is Garchomp, but it is still taking 73% minimum from Earth Power. Since HP Ice was kinda nerfed, Psychic is a great replacement. It doesn't hit Ground/Flyers and Dragon/Flyers as hard but it's still 2HKOing them anyways. Also I'm not walled by Gengar either so that's pretty cool too. Even though Focus Blast sucks and I'd much rather have Sludge Wave, I need it for Skarmory and Ferrothorn who will setup hazards on me otherwise.

With a force that can't be compared
to any firepower, for it's mindpower shared

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef / 72 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
Azumarill gives my team a much needed set of resistances to Fire, Bug and Water attacks and strong priority. Prior to adding Azumarill; Volcarona, Gyarados and Charizard-Y literately raped me every single game. The EVs are enough speed to get past Jellicent while still hitting hard as hell and remaining bulky with a lot of HP EVs. The moveset is standard affair except for Knock Off instead of Superpower which I like a lot more. The stat drops and the omnipresent aegislash and landorus-t make choice superpower unappealing overall. Whereas Knock Off is extremely spammable early game, more so than Waterfall or Play Rough since nothing, resisted or not wants to lose an item and take a reasonable amount of damage. People don't see it coming so it is great at nailing Ghost/Grass types on the switch. Also nothing that can take a dark attack would never ever switch into this guy. At first this was a Bellydrum set because I have wobb... but that was pretty unreliable and rarely was able to setup so CB was added and I never looked back.

So that's it. I really like this team a lot and I encourage you to test it out and maybe help fix some of my problems.
One problem I noticed is Gyarados. Azumarill is decent against it but it crushes everything else if it hasn't mega'd yet. If it megas early, Lucario beats it with Vacuum wave easily.
Another problem is Talonflame. It's a lot easier to play around but it can cause problems. Keep Rocks up and don't fodder Deo-D too early on since Rocky Helmet will be needed. Worst case scenario is encore with Wobb.
Thundurus is a dick. Keep rocks up and Aegislash is decent 1v1 and can force it out. But priority T-Wave is not fun for anybody.

Mixed Aegislash is another threat since it can come in on Deo-D in the lead or Wobb after a kill so try not to give it the opportunity. Usually I have to fodder something to bring in Landorus.
Volcarona is a pain so keep Rocks up and Azumarill healthy!
Those are all of the common things that I've noticed but I probably forgot some.

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I quite enjoyed the rmt, another good rmt from a based user. Not really much to suggest, but try running Splash Plate Azumarill. Banded azumarill is fun and all, until you realize that it completely kills your momentum, and is very prediction based. Having Splash Plate lets you bluff Banded, lure in Volcarona off something like Knock Off (P cool idea btw, I wasnt aware it got that move) and retaliate with waterfall as it sets up. Or even more realistic situation, bringing a faster, threatening threat down into Aqua Jet range, but realize you are banded and cant change moves.

Lol my bad was too lazy to run calcs :$

Last edited:
TCR:hey man thanks for the rate. I used to run splash plate but the problem was I lost a lot of 2hkos with play rough and in general it was harder to break walls. (Play rough is usually my main move) Despite being choice locked, azumarill doesn't really let much set up. It's pretty easy to not use knock off if you see any sweepers that resist it on the other team too. (Pretty much just lucario though) Just spam something like play rough instead. Btw cb knock off has a 25% chance to ko volc regardless of hazards lol.

Switch Lucario's Aura sphere to close combat and switch azumarill's knock off to superpower and you will be good!
Lol why. I already said why I like knock off instead of superpower and why I use special lucario over physical.
Like i said, Physical luke fits this team pretty well but most teams struggle with special Lucario since it has few defensive counters. So I use that.

this team is looking nice!! there is a lot going for this team, but i have a suggestion....

what about running belly drum on azumarill?

now i know that you didn't like it before cuz cuz you said it's unreliable, but running belly drum can work well with wobbufett, cuz with wobba, if you encore a foe in any move where azumarill can get a free switch (example dragon claw), given that wobba didn't encore a pokemon who can escape through shadow tag, azumarill can come in, and get a free belly drum, sending azumarill to x4 Atk instantly without much risk. if you need to replace a move for belly drum, since you like knock off on azumarill, removing waterfall/aqua jet is a risky option, but either one of those if you decide to go back to belly drum. item will probably be either leftovers/sitrus berry if you decide to run this.

overall, i love this team, especially special lucario since most people don't run it!

this team is looking nice!! there is a lot going for this team, but i have a suggestion....

what about running belly drum on azumarill?

now i know that you didn't like it before cuz cuz you said it's unreliable, but running belly drum can work well with wobbufett, cuz with wobba, if you encore a foe in any move where azumarill can get a free switch (example dragon claw), given that wobba didn't encore a pokemon who can escape through shadow tag, azumarill can come in, and get a free belly drum, sending azumarill to x4 Atk instantly without much risk. if you need to replace a move for belly drum, since you like knock off on azumarill, removing waterfall/aqua jet is a risky option, but either one of those if you decide to go back to belly drum. item will probably be either leftovers/sitrus berry if you decide to run this.

overall, i love this team, especially special lucario since most people don't run it!
Hey thanks man.
Ya bd azumarill is cool and all but the amount of walls that can take a boosted aqua jet is surprisingly high. I would drop knock off for it of course. Most of the time bellydrum either screwed me over because I was low hp and out prioritized or i didn't even use it at all. Cb is a way safer and more solid option overall imo. It works but I'm not ballsy enough. Azumarill is my only fire/water resist :p

I've been trying this team out and I'm a huge fan. It's composed of nearly all of my favorite Pokemon, they work together well and their sets are for the most part excellent. Keep CB Azumarill with Knock Off and NP Mega-Lucario are definitely their best sets for this team, and possibly their best sets in general, don't let anyone tell you differently. I'm not a huge fan of Psychic on Landorus but after some testing it may be a better option than HP Ice, especially with all the Mega-Venusaurs running around. How important is Rock Polish? Is it worth sacrificing the coverage?

The only change I'd make would be a very slight adjustment to your Aegislash, my personal favorite is:

Caledfwlch (Aegislash) @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Timid/Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield/Shadow Sneak/Autotomize

This Aegislash is surprisingly fast, and outspeeds neutral base 100's. That may sound like a weird thing since Aegislash is so prized for his bulk, but he works best as a pivot, capable of absorbing some hits in his shield mode then retaliating with a Shadow Ball capable of OHKO'ing some of the bulkier pokemon in the meta after a few layers of spikes. In addition since Shadowball is easily capable of OHKO'ing Aegislash-Shield after spikes, this is the best counter to Mixed and Other Aegislash's running around, as unless they've set up/your Aegislash has already taken a lot of damage, it will survive a Shadow Sneak and then kill with Shadow Ball. If they don't Shadow Sneak then you just got a free kill.
Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon and Sacred Sword offer fantastic coverage, while the last slot depends on what you need it for. Shadow Sneak and King's Shield both offer a way to cover your ass if Aegislash fails to net a KO with his first attack, whereas Autotomize makes him a deadly late-game sweeper.

Edit: MAKE SURE LANDORUS AND LUCARIO RUN 0 ATTACK IV'S. With the increased prominence of Mandibuzz Foul Play is a real concern, running 0 attack IV's will help immensely. Especially on Landorus who can't even hit Mandibuzz with anything but the inaccurate Focus Blast and who doesnt resist dark.

Last edited:
I've been trying this team out and I'm a huge fan. It's composed of nearly all of my favorite Pokemon, they work together well and their sets are for the most part excellent. Keep CB Azumarill with Knock Off and NP Mega-Lucario are definitely their best sets for this team, and possibly their best sets in general, don't let anyone tell you differently. I'm not a huge fan of Psychic on Landorus but after some testing it may be a better option than HP Ice, especially with all the Mega-Venusaurs running around. How important is Rock Polish? Is it worth sacrificing the coverage?

The only change I'd make would be a very slight adjustment to your Aegislash, my personal favorite is:

Caledfwlch (Aegislash) @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Timid/Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield/Shadow Sneak/Autotomize

This Aegislash is surprisingly fast, and outspeeds neutral base 100's. That may sound like a weird thing since Aegislash is so prized for his bulk, but he works best as a pivot, capable of absorbing some hits in his shield mode then retaliating with a Shadow Ball capable of OHKO'ing some of the bulkier pokemon in the meta after a few layers of spikes. In addition since Shadowball is easily capable of OHKO'ing Aegislash-Shield after spikes, this is the best counter to Mixed and Other Aegislash's running around, as unless they've set up/your Aegislash has already taken a lot of damage, it will survive a Shadow Sneak and then kill with Shadow Ball. If they don't Shadow Sneak then you just got a free kill.
Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon and Sacred Sword offer fantastic coverage, while the last slot depends on what you need it for. Shadow Sneak and King's Shield both offer a way to cover your ass if Aegislash fails to net a KO with his first attack, whereas Autotomize makes him a deadly late-game sweeper.

Edit: MAKE SURE LANDORUS AND LUCARIO RUN 0 ATTACK IV'S. With the increased prominence of Mandibuzz Foul Play is a real concern, running 0 attack IV's will help immensely. Especially on Landorus who can't even hit Mandibuzz with anything but the inaccurate Focus Blast and who doesnt resist dark.
Thanks.
I really like that set tbh. I was thinking about adding flash cannon over ks since ks is so predictable that I hardly use it. however, shadow sneak is a must. Not much can take an attack followed by a sneak.
Rp on landorus is nice against offensive teams especially. I'm not sure what else I need to hit except for fairy types with sludge wave and maybe dragons. After hazards earthpower does insane damage so i usually use that lol. Also Wobb and luke beat most of the faries and the rest of my team (aegislash, azu, wobb especially) beat dragons pretty easily. Psychic on landorus is pretty great though you are right, since the only real counter (that doesn't mind knock off) to azumarill is mega venesaur.

I haven't tried it yet but Deoxys might benefit from replacing T-wave with Recover? Both are good options and the 4MSS is frustrating as always, but this team may benefit from Deoxys being able to sponge a few extra hits/reapply spikes later down the line.

EDIT: One major threat to this team is Mega-Heracross. Its earthquake will almost certainly kill Aegislash with any damage whatsoever in shield mode, same with Mega-Lucario. Return will 2HKO Wobbuffet and Azumarill. Nothing in this team can stop him.

I haven't tried it yet but Deoxys might benefit from replacing T-wave with Recover? Both are good options and the 4MSS is frustrating as always, but this team may benefit from Deoxys being able to sponge a few extra hits/reapply spikes later down the line.

EDIT: One major threat to this team is Mega-Heracross. Its earthquake will almost certainly kill Aegislash with any damage whatsoever in shield mode, same with Mega-Lucario. Return will 2HKO Wobbuffet and Azumarill. Nothing in this team can stop him.
Deoxys is meant to set up hazards and stop defoggers. Recover doesn't really do anything tbh. I'd rather get up an extra spike and die than waste turns recovering and most likely set the same amount. Not worth it imo.

Heracross is rare. Like super rare. Also I doubt it can take a psychic from lando. Most of them don't have eq so aegislash walls it easily. It's also slow

Pinsir can be a problem though. (I think you meant pinsir and not hera.) It has a lot of difficulty taking any hits from my team though so it can only be brought in after fodder. I've only seen a handful of decent players use it since mega luke outclasses it a little bit. It can't set up on anything except azumarill using knock off so just play around it. Like I said, the only decent one I saw was encored by wobb. After its encored it is fairly useless since it takes a shit ton from sr and is forced out.

I meant to say mega-pinsir yeah. It's still a huge risk, it doesnt even have to set up to take out several pokemon on this team.

Hi, I've played a few games with this team and it seems very effective. I don't yet have any major suggestions except to change Aegislash to

EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 84 Spd
Quiet Nature

Even with 0 Atk EVs, you still do enough damage to pressure Chansey and Blissey (Sacred Sword has more PP than Softboiled, and most people don't run Flamethrower); you also OHKO Tyranitar 75% of the time after SR. The 4 SDef EVs prevent Genesect from getting a SAtk boost, which is useful since an unboosted Flamethrower won't OHKO Aegislash's Shield form. 84- EVs allow you to outspeed Jellicent by three points. With mixed Aegislash, Speed is the best stat in which to have a negative nature since the other base stats are higher and very relevant.

I'm not sure I agree, speed really is crucial to Aegislash's success, after hazards are up he's fantastic at One-Shotting Bulkier mons. Speed and power are better attributes to guarantee his survival, because even in shield form he's not going to survive many unresisted hits.

Which Pokemon are you referring to? The base-100 OUs from last gen commonly ran (and, I suspect, continue to run) enough Spd EVs to beat a +Spd-natured Aegislash. OHKOing Adamant Breloom and finishing weakened Rotom-W and specially-defensive Heatran are the biggest advantages I see for a fast Aegislash. I would expect that against a lot of other threats below 240 Spd, Aegislash will have to expose its Blade form to an opponent's attack. Against fast threats, Aegislash may miss the power boost conferred by a +SpA nature, though I admit I don't have any calculations on hand.

Its not like Aegislash should be sent out against opponents at full health. Ideally Aegislash should be able to OHKO pokemon it switches in on after they've taken some damage from other sources. Tyranitar, Scizor (who are increasingly running Knock Off), Gliscor and Donphan are all good examples of pokemon that might otherwise outspeed and OHKO or at least severely damage aegislash even in its shield mode, most of which Aegislash has no problem outspeeding and OHKOing if given proper speed investment/hazard support.

Let's look at some usage statistics from November.

Gliscor:

| Impish:252/0/184/0/0/72 37.770% |
| Impish:244/0/40/0/0/224 7.235% |
| Adamant:184/252/0/0/0/72 6.090% |
| Impish:244/0/248/0/0/16 4.836% |
| Impish:252/0/252/0/0/4 3.286% |
| Impish:252/4/252/0/0/0 2.863% |
| Other 37.921% |

Only 62.079% of the weighted uses of Gliscor are presented here exactly; I don't know how to access the "Others." But of the 62.079% of known weighted spreads, we see that 82.306% of them outspeed a max-Spd Aegislash. While it is true that the "Others" in general may not obey this trend, any people worth his or her salt realizes that Gliscor should have some Speed EVs. For this reason, and because Gliscor isn't really a problem for Aegislash's teammates here, +Spd-natured Aegislash does not do any worthwhile Gliscor-checking.

Donphan:

| Adamant:252/252/0/0/4/0 27.275% |
| Impish:252/4/252/0/0/0 15.781% |
| Impish:252/0/252/0/0/4 11.102% |
| Impish:252/0/252/0/4/0 6.935% |
| Adamant:252/252/4/0/0/0 2.052% |
| Impish:252/0/252/0/0/0 1.610% |
| Other 35.245% |

Of the 64.755% of Donphan's known weighted spreads presented, none of them outspeed a Quiet Aegislash. So the difference between a Quiet and a Timid Aegislash against Donphan is that the Quiet Aegislash just hits harder.

Scizor:

There is almost no value in outspeeding Scizor. CB Pursuit is met with either King's Shield or a deliberate sacrifice of Aegislash to allow Landorus and/or Lucario to set up. Furthermore, people will not leave in their Scizor on Aegislash due to the threat of King's Shield; 90.297% of weighted Aegislash uses had King's Shield, so provided you haven't revealed all four moves, even KS-less Aegislash can pull off the bluff.

Tyranitar:

| Adamant:252/252/0/0/4/0 16.823% |
| Jolly:4/252/0/0/0/252 9.207% |
| Adamant:4/252/0/0/0/252 7.062% |
| Careful:252/4/0/0/252/0 5.281% |
| Naughty:252/252/0/4/0/0 4.352% |
| Sassy:252/4/0/0/252/0 4.208% |
| Other 53.067% |

Of the 46.933% of known weighted Tyranitar spreads, 252+ Aegislash has the advantage (over 84- Aegislash or equivalent) against the 252 Adamant Tyranitars, who comprise only 15.047% of the known weighted spreads. While it certainly is a small perk, because this team has three other Pokemon with SE moves against Tyranitar (two of which are priority moves that take a huge chunk out of even DD Megatar), it is not enough to justify Shadow Ball's loss in power against the metagame at large.

Abspct: thanks. Those calcs are pretty interesting. I should have made my description of aegislash better but it already outspeeds jelli. (It outspeeds 4 speed ttar so jelli by default) your ev spread is pretty similar except it's more bulky. Which I'm not sure if that actually means anything since i can already take an eq from lando t and jolly drill and +1 flamethrower from scarf gene if i need to.
The atk evs can ko skarm after sr+shadow ball with shadow sneak iirc. And also a chance at bulky rotom with a little prior damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)