Gen 6 The "Are my Pokémon IVs and Nature good?" Thread

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Trust me, it wasn't all of a sudden, and I didn't even know about being able to KO it, so I went through the cutscene a bazillion times. But yeah, I was aiming for Geomancy yet now I read that everyone wants Modest for that so I'm like wth...
The reason why people prefer modest for geomancy is for how it needs little speed investment to outspeed the whole relevant +1 tier hence why the extra speed from timid is unecessary.

Yeah that makes sense, but I guess in my head I was thinking of all the other pokemon in the tier that aren't even transferable yet, with a lower base speed, but now that think about it, most of them don't even run +speed natures so that's a fail. Oh well.

Haruno

Yeah that makes sense, but I guess in my head I was thinking of all the other pokemon in the tier that aren't even transferable yet, with a lower base speed, but now that think about it, most of them don't even run +speed natures so that's a fail. Oh well.
You only need 56 speed Evs to outspeed positive scarfed base 102's with a modest nature.

Haruno

then how about the hasty one?
Personally I think that for the vast majority of yveltal sets, it'd be best to have a -atk nature unless you're going for sucker punch set though foul play is the better choice in the vast majority of cases bar maybe mewtwo/y and scizor (lol)

I would go for Adamant man. With his movepool he looks like he's better used as a DD sweeper especially with Extremespeed. His bulk is more of just a bonus than the main attraction
I'm replying late to this, but I ultimately went with an Adamant Zygarde with perfect IVs in HP, Attack, Defense, and Special Defense and a high enough Speed IV to outrun pretty much anything relevant after two Dragon Dances.

Personally I think that for the vast majority of yveltal sets, it'd be best to have a -atk nature unless you're going for sucker punch set though foul play is the better choice in the vast majority of cases bar maybe mewtwo/y and scizor (lol)
And FWIW, even a -atk nature won't stop a Life Orb Yveltal from punching the daylights out of any psychic or ghost flimsier than a bulky Mewtwo set. How badly you'll need the extra power afforded by a neutral nature in general use can obviously vary, but for pure ghost-hate Yveltal is pretty hard to screw up.

Last edited:
To add to his question, Modest vs Hasty? And If one or the other, is there an IV you don't need to be perfect or should you have the option to go mixed by getting all perfect?

It depends what you're aiming for, but Yveltal has quite a few options. You can choose a Naive or Hasty nature for a mixed set using Sucker Punch and/or U-Turn (I think Hasty is suggested in Ubers because special attacks are more prevalent), or Mild/Rash if you're not concerned about the speed or want to rely on Sucker Punch priority a lot. You can do Timid/ Modest for full special sets, then of course you don't need the attack IV. It is also rather bulky and can use a Toxic stalling set with Roost for recovery, then you would want Bold or Calm, and it also has the option of Foul Play, then you don't need the attack or special attack IV.

To add to his question, Modest vs Hasty? And If one or the other, is there an IV you don't need to be perfect or should you have the option to go mixed by getting all perfect?
Well, Modest and Hasty don't parallel each other. Modest is -atk + sp. atk, while Hasty is -def + speed. You mean Timid vs. Hasty? But if Modest or Timid, then you don't need the attack IV at all, but if you go mixed, then your main focuses are the attack, special attack, and speed IVs.

Sorry, I meant Timid vs Modest. So what I'd want perfect HP Speed Sp.Attack and Def/Sp.Def?
Ideally you want all 5, yeah. Basically Timid protects its base 99 speed from anything below it in the the 90~ish base speed range if they choose +speed natures, which is a good chunk of the Uber tier. But since the base 90s are among some of the slowest, people don't opt to compete in winning speed wars. And if you choose either Timid or Modest, you won't be using its Sucker Punch priority, so I would personally go with Timid to maximize its speed. It can also use Taunt well that way if you want to, and Foul Play if you want to go pseudo-mixed.

Honestly, I'd recommend hitting up the various yveltal threads for a set you like followed by resolving not to worry too much about which of the viable natures you eventually settle upon. I say this not to be condescending, but because at this early date yveltal seems like a pokemon custom built for buyer's remorse and grass-is-always-greener syndrome. He's got great bulk, wickedly strong dark stab, decent (if somewhat weird) speed as well as priority moves, taunt, substitute, foul play and two different flavors of sustain in Oblivion Wing and Roost... but you can't optimize for all of them on one bird. I opted for Modest and greatly enjoy the way that extra SpA puts a li'l bit extra mustard on those Oblivion Wings, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted by the notion of running Sucker Punch or grabbing a defensive nature and having the thing flap around like a 'roided up mandibuzz.

Well, in that case I already have the modest sync Abra. I was going with that before because all I know is I want the strongest Oblivion Wing possible. I imagine there'll be situations where it'd make the difference in a match. Possibly even deciding factor for the match. Especially given that it boosts the HP received and not just damage.

So I received this in a GTS trade for one of my 4V Speed Boost Torchics:

Yveltal ("Dark Raider")
Timid Nature
31/xx/31/31/28/31
And here's the awesome part...
HP Steel!!!

Also here's my X:

Xerneas
Naive Nature
26/27/21/31/31/31

Gonna make it a mixed attacker

just tossed a 201/135/115/148/118/130 timid yveltal, followed by a 201/135/115/148/118/130 one... damned special attack :/ but I'm not going to give up on this...!
good luck everyone :)

edit: just got a timid 30-31/x/30-31/30-31/24-25/30-31..... keep or toss? :/

Last edited:
Is that good enough? Dude, that's fuckin' insane. Keep keep keep, even if you don't want Timid someone else will (and it'll be great trade leverage). Also, odds are you're not going to beat those numbers for a few hundred more resets anyway.
Yeah, some people have all the luck while the rest of us have to endure days of mental self punishment to get something that only comes partially close... lol I miss 4th and 5th gen RNG

Is a Modest 31/29/31/20/29/31 Yveltal worth keeping? I kinda intended to max SpA and was wondering if I would be missing out on some significant OHKO's & 2HKO's by having nearly perfect defenses at the expense of having merely okay offense?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)