Genesect [QC: 1/3]

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Overview
########
  • Hands down the best Choice Scarfer in OU
  • Access to a fast, powerful U-Turn makes it very difficult to counter
  • Download allows it to hit extremely hard, both specially and physically, even without a boosting item
  • Its incredible coverage allows it to act as the premiere revenge killer in OU
  • Diverse Move Pool allows it to run Special and Physical sets, both of which can are very effective
  • Has access to powerful priority in ExtremeSpeed to revenge even more threats such as Talonflame
  • Has access to great boosting moves for sweeping sets, which are nearly impossible to stop once its counters are removed

Special Scarf
########
move 1: U-Turn
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Bug Buzz / Thunderbolt
ability: Download
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Hasty / Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Moves
========
  • STAB U-Turn allows Genesect to gain momentum while doing a respectable amount of damage to most threats, especially after an attack raise.
  • Ice Beam has great overall coverage and specifically allows Genesect to revenge Dragon types which are always threatening without a proper revenge killer.
  • Flamethrower lets Genesect hit Steel Types bar Heatran for Super Effective damage. It also allows you to revenge Offensive Threats such as opposing Genesect and Mega Lucario.
  • Bug Buzz provides neutral STAB coverage and can hit very hard with a Special Attack Boost. One of the main draws of Bug Buzz is hitting Physically Defensive Rotom-W for huge damage and it can also hit through subs thanks to the new mechanics.
  • Thunderbolt allows Genesect to revenge a couple specific threats such as Azumarill, Keldeo and Mega Charizard-Y. If these pokes are very threatening to your team Thunderbolt is likely the superior option.
  • Iron Head can be used if Fairies such as Sylveon or Clefable pose a threat to your team. Otherwise Iron Head sacrifices too much coverage to be used on this set.
  • Energy Ball can be useful to get a surprise OHKO on Rotom-W.

Set Details
========
  • The EVs are for maximum speed and special attack.
  • Hasty can be used to ensure opposing Genesect do not receive special attack boosts from Download.
  • Naive can also be used to give more physical bulk against the multitude of physical priority users in the tier.

Usage Tips
========
  • Scarf Genesect is a solid choice as a lead against the majority of teams since it can apply immediate pressure and gain momentum.
  • Beware of Deoxys-S leads since they naturally outspeed Scarf Genesect and can OHKO with a fire move.
  • Throughout the rest of the match Genesect should really only be coming in on Free switch-ins either gained from VoltTurn, double switching, or after one of your pokes has fainted.
  • U-Turn should be used often to gain momentum throughout the match.
  • Genesect can also come in to Revenge Kill or force out many offensive threats throughout the match.
  • Genesect is also very useful to save for the end of the match, to either counter a sweep from the opponent or to clean up with its combination of speed and amazing coverage options.

Team Options
========
  • Rotom-W has great typing synergy and forms a VoltTurn Core, giving Genesect tons of free switch-ins.
  • Rapid Spin or Defog support is greatly appreciated to allow Genesect more switch-ins. Starmie and Defog Latias both have good type synergy with Genesect. Also Defog Mandibuzz is useful since it is a sure stop to Mixed Aegislash which can switch in to most of Genesect's attacks with ease.
  • Dugtrio is possibly Genesect's best partner since it can trap Heatran, the best switch in to Genesect.

Shift Gear
########
move 1: Shift Gear
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: ExtremeSpeed
move 4: Blaze Kick / X-Scissor
item: Life Orb
nature: Hasty
evs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 224 Spe

Moves
========
  • Shift Gear boosts Genesect's Speed by 2 Stages and its Attack by 1 Stage quickly turning it into a fearsome sweeper. Combined with a Download boost Genesect can quickly be at +2 Attack +2 Speed.
  • Iron Head provides a powerful STAB option that has decent coverage
  • ExtremeSpeed keeps Genesect from falling to opposing priority and does more damage to Water and Electric Types
  • Blaze Kick allows Genesect to get past Steel Types like Skarmory
  • X-Scissor provides another STAB Option that can hit Bulky Waters for a ton of damage.
  • Flamethrower can also be used to get past Aegislash more reliably.
  • A variety of special coverage moves such as HP Ground and Giga Drain can be used to get past certain checks / counters to this set a bit easier.

Set Details
========
  • The HP EVs allow Genesect to hit a Life Orb number, meaning it can take more recoil. The Speed allows it to still outspeed positive base 95 before Shift Gear boost.
  • Due to the sets poor Super Effective coverage Life Orb gives a much appreciated power boost.

Usage Tips
========
  • Fairies are generally very easy for Genesect to set up on.
  • Has only one weakness so defensive mons that can't phaze or status provide good setup opportunities. One example would be Defog Latias.
  • You can also use Genesect's popularity as a revenge killer to its advantage to bluff a revenge kill and set up on the switch.

Team Options
========
  • Heatran is a full stop to this set so, again, Dugtrio is a great option to pair with Genesect.
  • Anything that can wear down Bulky Waters, Grounds and Steel Types will make it much easier for Genesect to sweep later in the match. Wallbreakers like Mega Lucario, Mega Kangaskhan and Bisharp are good choices to lure in these bulkier mons and hit them for big damage.
  • Obviously any sweeper appreciates hazard support as well so something like a lead Deoxys-S will go a long way in wearing down the opponent.

All-Out Attacker
########
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Thunderbolt / Bug Buzz
item: Expert Belt / Focus Sash
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Moves
========
  • U-Turn allows Genesect to gain momentum
  • Flamethrower has nice Super Effective coverage and can be used to easily take out opposing Genesect leads with the Sash set.
  • Ice Beam allows Genesect to hit Dragons, who may try to set up on Genesect thinking it is choiced, for Super Effective damage
  • Thunderbolt provides added Super Effective coverage
  • Bug Buzz provides a strong STAB option
  • Hidden Power Ground deserves a mention to surprise KO opposing Heatran.
Set Details
========
  • Expert Belt allows abuse of Genesect's amazing Super Effective coverage.
  • Focus Sash grants Genesect with an opportunity to get multiple hits off on the opponent.
  • EVs are to outspeed and KO as much as possible
  • Hasty can be used to ensure opposing Genesect do not receive special attack boosts from Download.
  • Naive can also be used to give more physical bulk against the multitude of physical priority users in the tier.

Usage Tips
========
  • Depending on which item you chose this set can be used a couple of different ways.
  • Expert Belt can be easily bluffed to seem like a Choice Scarfed set.
  • Focus Sash can be used as a lead to guaranteed momentum and offensive pressure right from the start.
  • Focus Sash can also be saved for later on in the match to revenge kill setup sweepers.

Team Options
========
  • This set also works well in VoltTurn cores so again Rotom-W is a good partner
  • Since this set has more Wallbreaking capabilities with the ability to switch moves it can be used with strong setup sweepers like Mega Lucario and Mega Pinsir.
  • Dugtrio is a great partner to trap and KO opposing Heatran.

Choice Band
########
move 3: ExtremeSpeed
move 4: Flamethrower / Ice Beam
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Moves
========
  • U-Turn hits extremely hard coming off of a Choice Band and possible Download Boost plus it allows Genesect to keep momentum.
  • Iron Head is a powerful STAB that helps eliminate fairies.
  • Extremespeed allows Genesect to act as a revenge killer to sweepers that do not resist it.
  • Flamethrower provides some nice super effective coverage and hits stuff like Aegislash more reliably.
  • Ice Beam can be used to give better coverage against Dragon Types.

Set Details
========
  • Max speed and attack are optimal to allow Genesect to hit hard and fast.
  • Choice Band combined with an Attack boost from Download hits anything that does not resist extremely hard.

Usage Tips
========
  • This set sacrifices more switch-in opportunities for an extremely hard hitting U-Turn.
  • The damage output and momentum gained from U-Turn should be abused to the fullest when using this set. Very few pokes can repeatedly switch into it.
  • Genesect also becomes a powerful late game cleaner with the combination of ExtremeSpeed and Choice Band.
  • Can sweep past, or revenge common priority users such as Kangaskhan and TalonFlame once they are in KO range.

Team Options
========
  • Dugtrio is again a fantastic partner as it removes Heatran which is one of the few pokes that can switch in to Genesect's CB U-Turn.
  • Rotom-W covers Genesect's weaknesses and forms a powerful VoltTurn core, making it easier for Genesect to switch-in.
  • Sweepers like Mega Lucario that enjoy having Bulky Ground Types like Hippowdon weakened are good partners since they are common U-Turn switch-ins.
  • This set is very good at removing Fairies so powerful Dragon Types like Garchomp and Hydreigon that enjoy having those removed are good partners.

Physically Based Scarf
########
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Ice Beam
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves
========
  • U-Turn hits for solid damage with Attack investment and allows Genesect to gain momentum.
  • Iron Head serves as a physical STAB that can punish Fairy Types.
  • Explosion serves as a very powerful attack that lets Genesect take out some sweepers it can't hit for Super Effective damage.
  • Ice Beam allows Genesect to revenge kill dragons
  • Flamethrower can be used to revenge threats such as Mega Lucario and to deal more damage to Skarmory or Ferrothorn.

Set Details
========
  • Max Speed and Attack allows for a harder hitting U-Turn than the Special Scarf
  • Hasty prevents Special Attack Boost for opposing Genesect; Naive gives more bulk to take physical priority

Usage Tips
========
  • Solid lead against most of the metagame to gain momentum early.
  • Being able to do more damage with U-Turn than the Special Scarf is what puts this set apart.
  • Can still be used as a revenge killer and cleaner late game.

Team Options
========
  • Rotom-W forms a solid VoltTurn Core.
  • Dugtrio can trap Heatran and potentially keep it from switching in.
  • This set can also remove Fairies with Iron Head so Wallbreaking Dragons like Hydreigon appreciate its support.

Physically Based All Out Attacker
########
move 2: ExtremeSpeed
move 4: Iron Head / Flamethrower
evs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe

Moves
========
  • U-Turn is for momentum and hits hard with attack investment and Life Orb.
  • Extremespeed allows Genesect to act as a revenge killer and late game cleaner.
  • Ice Beam is for reliable super effective coverage against dragons.
  • Iron Head is a powerful physical STAB that can hit Fairies hard if they are problematic.
  • Flamethrower provides solid super effective coverage to hit more threats mid game.

Set Details
========
  • EVs allow for max speed and attack to hit hard with U-Turn and ExtremeSpeed
  • Life Orb allows Genesect to switch moves and hit hard despite the relative lack of super effective coverage on the set.

Usage Tips
========
  • Strong U-Turn and ability to switch up moves makes this set very hard to switch into.
  • Must be careful to avoid racking up too much hazard damage combined with the life orb recoil.
  • Good to save for late game to abuse ExtremeSpeed.

Team Options
========
  • More than any other set Spinners and Defoggers are appreciated.
  • Good examples include Starmie and Latias who both have good synergy with Genesect.
  • Dugtrio is again useful to put pressure on Heatran and potentially get it out of Genesect's way.
  • Rotom-W forms a fantastic VoltTurn core.

Other Options
########
  • Genesect has a very abundant movepool and has additional coverage options that can be used on most of its sets, specifically moves like Giga Drain and to hit Rotom-W and Gastrodon for Super Effective Damage.
  • A Rock Polish sweeping set is possible but it is generally outclassed by Shift Gear, especially in terms of power.
  • Techno Blast was recently raised to 120 BP so it is a useable option now. However, Genesect has plenty of other options already (for example LO HP Ground hits Heatran harder than Douse Drive Techno Blast) and Techno Blast has to be used in conjunction with a Drive Plate which limits Genesect's options for items.

Checks & Counters
########
  • Heatran is Genesect's most notable counter, 4x resisting U-Turn and not weak to any of its coverage bar the occasional HP Ground.
  • Rotom-H deserves mention as he also resists U-Turn and most of Genesect's coverage. While it isn't as bulky as Heatran it does usually have some form of recovery and it also can't be trapped by Dugtrio thanks to Levitate.
  • Talonflame can easily revenge kill any set that lacks Extremespeed as CB Brave Bird OHKO's and can take U-Turns if needed.
  • Mega Venusaur can take on the Special Scarf set quite well. It doesn't enjoy taking repeated U-Turns but it can eat up any of its coverage moves with ease and can threaten back with HP Fire or cripple it with Sleep Powder.
  • Aegislash can easily switch in on predicted U-Turns or any coverage move that isn't Flamethower or HP Ground. It can even tank a Flamethrower from full health and threatens back with Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak.

Last edited:

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Welp, am i a little to early to suggest a physically based All Out Attacker, and a CB set?

Physically Based All Out Attacker
########
move 2: Extremespeed
move 4: Blaze Kick/Flamethrower
evs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe

With a more direct approach, this set's main goal is that of a momentum gainer with an extremely hard hitting U turn that pressures the opponent at a different level than the Scarf set, specially at the first turn the idee brings this in, since a bluff is perfectly possible given genesect's traits as an very diverse pokemon. Late gane sweeping potential is also there due to the incredibly useful new priority un Espeed and how offensive the metagame is right now.

P.D.: i hate my IPhone

I suggest having 24 HP EVs on the Shift Gear Genesect set, as this provides it with a Life Orb HP number (289). Taking less damage per turn could be game changing, as Life Orb already limits Genesect's relatively short life span - letting you potentially get one extra KO that you couldn't otherwise. You can take some EVs out of Speed - the most you'll need is 224 EVs, which allows Genesect to outspeed positive base 95s before setting up. This leaves 8 EVs spare, which can go in either Defense or Sp. Defense.

I think Giga Drain in combination with a Life Orb deserves an A/C mention for the all out attacking set. The two tend to go well together, and may be quite relevant right now considering how common Rotom-W is. Iron Head is also worth a consideration as a secondary STAB for its ability to hit Fairy types hard.

Is there a reason why Hasty > Naive on the Scarf set? Unless you want to be switching into Draco Meteors, I don't see why, as Scarf outspeeds a lot and most priority (lol vacuum wave) is physical.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there a reason why Hasty > Naive on the Scarf set? Unless you want to be switching into Draco Meteors, I don't see why, as Scarf outspeeds a lot and most priority (lol vacuum wave) is physical.
I believe it's to give opposing Genesect the Attack Download boost.

MCBarrett

Stone RG That set looks pretty solid and having ESpeed on a non-choiced all out attacker set is something that sets it apart so I'll add it in there for now. I haven't used or seen that set though so if anyone else has an opinion on it that would be appreciated.

dbzmariogeno Flamethrower has 100% accuracy and most pokes gene will be hitting with flamethrower are going to give a special attack raise anyways. Blaze Kick is only the better option on sets that boost attack like CB or Shift Gear

DarkBlazeR Updated the Shift Gear set, I figured the EVs could be optimized so thanks for that. I also agree giga drain is a decent option on some sets, especially with all of the Rotom-W, so I'll try to mention it somewhere.

thedeafelectrician Sash Gene has been used pretty effectively to get the jump on anti-gene leads such as Deoxys-S and it lets you get the KO or have get momentum vs opposing Gene leads as well. Also on that set, due to the fantastic SE coverage it has and the fact that Gene switches into hazards very often I think not having LO recoil and being able to bluff choice is the better option.

TRCarnivine Hasty is for the download boost like Halcyon said but after thinking about it I suppose with all of the physical priority this gen Naive could be useful to take Sucker Punches and whatnot. I'll slash it on all of the applicable sets.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
EDIT: i missed a discussion in which rp was deemed outclassed, nvm

Also, the Overview doesn't really do it for me. Genesect is a nigh-uncounterable threat and THE premier revenge killer. Convey this.

Last edited:
I'm kind of suprised that there's no mixed set yet something like

Genesect@Choice Scarf
Hasty
4 Def/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-U-Turn
-Iron Head
-Ice Beam
-Flamethrower/Tbolt/Bug Buzz

It makes Genesect a great counter against Fairy types since most are Specially defensive or against Poke's like Blissey after the Download boost but since Genesect can make almost any set look good it may not warrant a full analysis.

MCBarrett

Yea I kinda figured RP was outclassed by shift gear which is why I didn't add it.

Also, I feel like a 'mixed scarf' can probably just get a mention under the special scarf set. really just saying that you can use iron head for coverage if you need to hit fairies or something along those lines.

Jukain spiced it up a bit, hope u like n_n

and i'll get working on filling up all the blank spaces right now. should be done tonight.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Combine both all-out attackers and AC the physical spread and espeed; sets are clustered otherwise and fulfill more or less the same role.

Blaze Kick sucks on CB Gene I'd much rather ice beam or even flamethrower or explosion (BK is weak, inaccurate, and a horrible move to lock into)

All-out attacker and CB Gene are both wayyyyy better than Shift Gear Genesect make sure to make this clear

Both all out attackers want HP Ground ACed to lure out Heatran

Physically based scarf looks really bad, I've never used it before; however, despite that, I think that set needs some serious reconsidering.

Edit: when stoned first introduced m to that gene b4 this thread I tried it and its great ppl just aren't creative enough to think of it lol ;3

Last edited:

MCBarrett

Yea after some thought I agree with most of what Shurtugal says. All-out attackers will be combined and physical scarf removed. I'll put ice beam on the cb set and slash blaze kick since i think fire coverage is a decent option, and make sure to mention all out attacker and cb are more consistent than shift gear. however I wont necessarily say they are better since shift gear can absolutely demolish when given the opportunity and its genesect's premier sweeping set.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is physical Scarf being removed again? U-turn is what you are spamming most of the time, and Iron Head is a very useful move in general, not to mention that Ice Beam already does its job even without SpA investment. Lastly, +1 Scarf Explosion hurts, a lot! I would just slash Ice Beam with Flamethrower and you are good to go.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I like physical Scarf as well. That +1 U-turn can be devastating without Attack investment. With it, it becomes the stuff of nightmares. Sure, it doesn't have the best physical movepool, but using Flamethrower or Ice Beam as they switch in their Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn or Landorus-T is just too satisfying. Honestly, U-turn, Iron Head, Flamethrower and Ice Beam are all it needs. Explosion is neat though, as it pretty much guarantees a kill against offensive teams.

MCBarrett

Yea I guess on second thought I was put off a bit by the lack of coverage for a scarf set. I like Halcyon's suggestion of having Ice beam and flamethrower and putting Explosion as either a slash or just mentioning in the moves section. thoughts on that?

I think that you should put a mixed shift gear set in there. While it isn't quite as powerful as physical shit gear, it's deals much better with physical walls, and it also can take advantage of either download boost, giving it much more opportunity to sweep than physical shift gear or special rp.
The set is:
Genesect Life orb
Hasty
252 spatk, speed for adamant excadrill, rest in attack (don't have numbers at the moment)
Shift gear
Flamethrower
Iron head
Giga drain/tbolt/bugbuzz (I prefer giga drain cuz fuk rotom wash)

It has a lot of surprise factor too, as one they see shift gear they assume it's physical and has great surprise factor. Also, most steels have higher physical defense, and there is aegislash, so flamethrower > blazekick. While it's iron head isn't quite as destructive, this set does work really well, as it had unique coverage that makes it amazing against certain teams, although it is much more matchup reliant than other sets.

Tesung I like the idea of having a mixed Shift Gear set, just to throw people off. They switch in their physical wall like Skarmory, Gliscor and Landorus-t, just to get KO'd by a Flamethrower or Ice Beam.

Mention on Choice Band Flamethrower. Flamethrower hits exactly what Blaze Kick does, but for sometimes more damage. Most things you're hitting with Blaze Kick run Defensive sets rather than SpDefensive sets, and this also doesn't make you get hit by Iron Barbs or Rocky Helmet from Ferrothorn and Skarmory, respectively. Due to Download, Genesect will usually gain that +1 in SpA, also, so this helps Flamethrower further out-damage Blaze Kick, most usually. (Though, personally, I'd just remove Blaze Kick in general.)

Another thing I would suggest is having Physically-Based Scarf as it's main set, due to the fact its main attack, U-turn, is much stronger, and Genesect should only be using U-turn early-to-mid game, honestly. Not to mention the things it's going to hit with Ice Beam and Flamethrower are usually OHKO'd without investment, or even at +1, in the first place.

On the All-Out Attacker set, I'd also suggest having Iron Head and Extreme Speed mentioned, if not slashed. Priority is always nice, especially with that 99 in which it'd need priority quite often, and Iron Head for fairies that could possibly, maybe, switch in. I'd also have Life Orb mentioned, if not slashed. Though, I see why it wouldn't be slashed, hazards + LO with U-turn does rack up pretty fast, and bluffing choice is always a really fun thing to do. Basically, just mention that a physically-based all-out attacking set is viable, and can be used with U-turn, Iron Head, Extreme Speed and a filler coverage move including Blaze Kick, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, etc.

I honestly like physical Genesect much more this gen in OU than I do special, stronger U-turns are always amazing, anywhere, and Extreme Speed and Iron head are actually really nice to have.

Yea I guess on second thought I was put off a bit by the lack of coverage for a scarf set. I like Halcyon's suggestion of having Ice beam and flamethrower and putting Explosion as either a slash or just mentioning in the moves section. thoughts on that?
Also have Thunderbolt slashed.

Shouldn't Physical Scarf have Blaze Kick > Flamethrower
I'd actually rather use Flamethrower than Blaze Kick, mostly because the things you're hitting with Flamethrower are physical walls, like Ferrothorn (standard Ferro puts more into Def than SpD), Skarmory, etc.

I'm kind of suprised that there's no mixed set yet something like

Genesect@Choice Scarf
Hasty
4 Def/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-U-Turn
-Iron Head
-Ice Beam
-Flamethrower/Tbolt/Bug Buzz

It makes Genesect a great counter against Fairy types since most are Specially defensive or against Poke's like Blissey after the Download boost but since Genesect can make almost any set look good it may not warrant a full analysis.
Since you're using Iron head and U-turn, you should put those SpA EVs into Atk, so your STABs can be stronger.

Last edited:

MCBarrett

Ok so I couldn't find a good way to add a physically based all out attacker in the set list without slashing too much so I decided to add the set by itself since it definitely deserves mention. That's pretty much everything so I think this is QC ready now. Any help with the physically based attacker set and with the ordering of the sets is greatly appreciated, thanks n_n

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Energy ball deserves a mention in special scarf, I think. Ice beam already gets flying types pretty badly. At +1 it OHKOs max hp rotom-W, which is common as many run physical defensive sets for talonflame and mega pinsir. Beyond that it hits most of the thing that thunderbolt mentions. Mega gyarados is the most popular gyarados set right now and u-turn maims that set nicely. Gastrodon and quagsire have also had a bit of hype recently, another small benefit of energy ball. Makes heatran basically immune to your moves then though.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Energy ball deserves a mention in special scarf, I think. Ice beam already gets flying types pretty badly. At +1 it OHKOs max hp rotom-W, which is common as many run physical defensive sets for talonflame and mega pinsir. Beyond that it hits most of the thing that thunderbolt mentions. Mega gyarados is the most popular gyarados set right now and u-turn maims that set nicely. Gastrodon and quagsire have also had a bit of hype recently, another small benefit of energy ball. Makes heatran basically immune to your moves then though.
If anything it should be Giga Drain the 5 BP won't matter much and genesect appreciates the recovery especially because it hit most of its targets pretty hard, still both are pretty bad moves to be locked into since grass is a pretty horrible attacking type and way too much stuff can set-up on you.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If anything it should be Giga Drain the 5 BP won't matter much and genesect appreciates the recovery especially because it hit most of its targets pretty hard, still both are pretty bad moves to be locked into since grass is a pretty horrible attacking type and way too much stuff can set-up on you.
Don't really have an opinion on Energy Ball vs Giga Drain on Sect, as i haven't done calcs or used a set with any of those two, but Energy Ball got boosted to 90 BP in 6th gen, which makes it not entirely ouclassed by Giga Drain anymore.

On Choice Band Genesect, I would still mention, if not flat out remove Blaze Kick for, Flamethrower; it has much more use over Blaze Kick, as I mentioned already. It's more reliable in taking out Aegislash, misses Rocky Helmet / Iron barbs on Skarmory and Ferrothorn, it also generally does more damage to most of these threats, due to them investing more into Defense rather than Special Defense. This also gives Flamethrower the +1 boost, which will allow it to do even more damage to Ferrothorn.

Iron Head can be used if Fairies such as Florges Sylveon or Clefable pose a threat to your team. Otherwise Iron Head sacrifices too much coverage to be used on this set.
Fixed. Florges is irrelevant due to being outclassed by Sylveon, so it doesn't really need to be mentioned.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)