Pokémon Volcarona

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a hard time thinking of anything outside of scizor that actually wants use a contact move you can get in on, but I suppose scizor is reason enough.
Still though, the idea of the swarm boost is tasty.
Waterfall, Aqua Jet, and Brave Bird.

although, the biggest brave bird user is immune to being burned....so that one is pretty moot (staraptor is no where to be seen and skarmory wants no business with volcarona)

Genesect, and anything else spamming U-Turn. I think it should even work as a last ditch effort to cripple an aqua jet user as you go down. Either way the off chance to cripple an opponent is less situational than trying to get below 1/3rd health, because unless you're down that low, you have a useless ability. And when you're that low you fall quickly to priority and scarf users.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. Swarm is too situational to make use of, and even then, it only effects one of your moves. I'm not saying it's not viable, but it's too situational to get use.

fair enough, I suppose. So basically 1/3 of a chance is higher than the chance of getting to 1/3, then?

I think the meta may be getting too offensive for Quiver Dance Volcarona. With every decent team being hyper offensive and carrying multiple forms of solid priority in the form of Brave Bird, Aqua Jet, Sucker Punch, and Shadow Sneak you're not likely to have a straight sweep. Perhaps bulky pivot sets, or offensive Choice sets are the way to go? I know that in the SR-less meta, scarf Volcarona was found to be a really good mon. While rocks haven't changed this gen we do go have Defog and new spinners like Excadrill and Mega Blastoise.

This thing is godly, I run 252 Def, 240 HP and 16 Spe with Timid nature, and it sets up on so many things with ease. It turns enemy Ferrothorns, Skarmory's and Scizor's into liabilities. I love it. Roost and Leftovers give it insane bulk also.

fair enough, I suppose. So basically 1/3 of a chance is higher than the chance of getting to 1/3, then?
Exactly. Not to mention if you're running swarm it's kind of pointless to use roost/morning sun because I believe you lose your bug boost once healed back up. It could have some merit but flame body is usually the better choice.

You should add a list of counters to the OP. Assault Vest Tyranitar works wonders against Volcarona, same as Togekiss, that can Thunder Wave and then spam Air Slash until you die.

A friend of mine uses Rocky Helmet since it's Def isn't all that great. Along with Flame Body they're even burned sometimes and it catches us off guard every time we get damaged. Leftovers are probably better but it's something to think about.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Giga drain > hp rock as far as I see it. Bulkyrona can take a CB azumarill aqua jet if it has enough hp and feasibly attack it after a boost. I'd rather just switch out of talonflame since he's much easier to wall and isn't as much of a bother to good team members for volcorona.

Excuse me, but... in the real game of sixth gen, is there any way to get Giga Drain on Volcarona? I haven't figured out how to get it yet.

You should add a list of counters to the OP. Assault Vest Tyranitar works wonders against Volcarona, same as Togekiss, that can Thunder Wave and then spam Air Slash until you die.
I doubted the Assault Vest Tyranitar mention, but then:
252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 108-128 (26.7 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 162-192 (40 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 212-252 (52.4 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 266-314 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 320-378 (79.2 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+5 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 372-440 (92 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 422-500 (104.4 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It needs +6 to OHKO it for sure, but meanwhile:
0- Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Volcarona: 472-556 (126.2 - 148.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Stone Edge literally OHKOes under every single circumstance. I agree with Assault Vest Tyranitar being added to the OP.

I think the meta may be getting too offensive for Quiver Dance Volcarona. With every decent team being hyper offensive and carrying multiple forms of solid priority in the form of Brave Bird, Aqua Jet, Sucker Punch, and Shadow Sneak you're not likely to have a straight sweep. Perhaps bulky pivot sets, or offensive Choice sets are the way to go? I know that in the SR-less meta, scarf Volcarona was found to be a really good mon. While rocks haven't changed this gen we do go have Defog and new spinners like Excadrill and Mega Blastoise.
I'd like to maybe see a choice scarf set with fiery dance / u-turn / bug buzz / whatever (maybe psychic or hp ground).. volca forces a ton of switches just through fear of it gaining quiver dances, so i can see how it might be able to pivot well. what's more he really benefits from having fiery dance on a choice set due to its boost chance of 50%. Ofc you have to deal with its catastrophic stealth rock weakness

I'd like to maybe see a choice scarf set with fiery dance / u-turn / bug buzz / whatever (maybe psychic or hp ground).. volca forces a ton of switches just through fear of it gaining quiver dances, so i can see how it might be able to pivot well. what's more he really benefits from having fiery dance on a choice set due to its boost chance of 50%. Ofc you have to deal with its catastrophic stealth rock weakness
The last part of your sentence is exactly why using Volcarona as a pivot could prove tricky. You would have a hell of a job keeping hazards off the field even with defog. Volcarona's best role is to rudely introduce itself on something non threatening and boost to take out things. It couldn't take too many switch ins and putting a scarf on it without a boosted attack is like leading a lamb to slaughter.

Would Infernape not be some form of threat to Volcorona? It resists all of its moves so maybe not switching in on it but when Volcorona takes something down then using life orb this happens;

252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 309-367 (99 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

that looks pretty good to me. Even if it has to take the recoil after. This monkey looks like it has the potential to take down a Volcarona. Choice band looks even better.

252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 357-421 (114.4 - 134.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Flare blitz is a 2HKO with a scarf if you worry about multiple boosts making it too quick even for the base 108 speed Infernape but I think he at least dents Volcorona and with pebbles up it is 0HKO with flare blitz. Also with pebbles up close combat on a banded Infernape is guaranteed 0HKO and the same for life orb.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
i just love this pokemon. after a couple quiver dance it can sweep entire teams with no problems, what i don't like is that it doesn't have moves that hit some pokemon hard enough; dragonite, heatran (if it lacks HP ground) and even talonflame have resistances, or double resistances, to every single move.
i use it with this set:
ability: flame body
item: leftovers
nature: timid
4 hp/252 Satk/252 spe
moves:
-roost
-quiver dance
-fiery dance
-bug buzz
with this spread it can outspeed all the bulky water types to use quiver dance and after that it won't lose many hp beacause of a special water move; leftovers and roost give it reliable recovery to restore the hp lost. i usually manage to setup several quiver dance using this tactics, its only flaw, as said before, is that some pokemon completely walls it.

I've been running this set:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SAtk
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz/HP Rock
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain

With fully invested physical defenses, this thing walls a surprising amount of threats. Unboosted physical Mega Lucario 3hkos, I'd have to calc it again to see if special M-Luc dropped to a 4hko but it definitely doesn't do better. Meanwhile unboosted Fiery Dance ohkos and possibly gets you a spatk boost. If already set up Mega Pinsir is forced to resort to Quick Attack to do damage before dying, which will only do around 50% even with Aerilate. It takes Aqua Jets like a champ and answers with Giga Drain to do some serious damage back as well as healing back a good chunk of HP. And of course after setting up it doesn't fear much of anything from the special side that isn't rock type. HP Rock's a niche move I've been trying out for predicted Talonflame switch-ins but Bug Buzz is probably a better move overall now that it goes through subs.

There's no reason for bulky volcarona to be modest. After a few quiver dances you're sweeping whether you're modest or not, but bold lets you laugh off some hits.

There aren't many better feelings in pokemon than switching volcarona into stealth rock and sweeping anyway.

Unboosted some OHKOs are rather iffy or gone completely with Bold, such as Mega Mawile. That's my justification for it. Bold makes plenty more sense if you're only focused on post-quiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)