Smogon Doubles Teambuilding Competition! Round 3: ENSUE

Truce is easily my pick. The pieces work so well together, Hitmontop helps Charizard and Heatran both A LOT. Cresselia and Landog cover weaknesses very well. Thundy helps bundles with offensive synergy.
There are a lot of other reasons why the team works, but all you have to do is note the 2k+ rating to realize that.
Subtran+CharY sun support is definitely a threat and if I were to pick partners for them, I couldn't think of any better than what Truce chose. The pieces just fit too well together.

I also like how Talonflame was a big hit among the teambuilders. You guys trynna emulate

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Truce is my pick too. This team has the most thought and time put into it, evidenced by the EV spreads, team synergy, and original innovation through Imprison Landorus-T. Furthermore it's obvious that the team works not just by looking at it but also with how well he's done on the ladder.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Truce - Imprison Landorus-T is a neat innovation that supports the team really well. It's also one of the teams that have the strongest answers to opposing Charizard Y, Talonflame, and Heatran - three Pokemon that I believe are threatening for the Charizard Y + Hitmontop pair (Hitmontop wont always be out to Wide Guard protect Heat Waves).

cxinlee's team was a close second. Charizard Y prefers Ancient Power > HP Rock so it doesn't have to lower its Speed IVs.

Last edited:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Truce has a team that sounds really interesting, especially lando-t's set sounds awesome and I'm definitely gonna try that set out. Props.

Truce's team is great but can't deal well with rain and trick room. Imprison gives me memories when I first started doubles, and it was a great set introduced to me by audiosurfer

Blank and youngjake get wrecked by talonflame, same for robert.

I liked gcn2000's creativity but the heatran weakness stopped me

This leaves aurarayquaza, he deals with all the threats and I like his team, imo its underrated

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Many strong teams here so props to yall for that. If i go with one team I'd say cxinlee athought plenty of other users brought their own col and interesting combinations forward. Looking forward to seeing what next week brings :)

Blank: yes it was mainly the volc team that had the big talonflame weakness. The other team is slightly better, but I believe lando still takes a chunk from boosted flare blitz.

Blank: yes it was mainly the volc team that had the big talonflame weakness. The other team is slightly better, but I believe lando still takes a chunk from boosted flare blitz.
Depending on the set, sure. But scarf Lando shits on it, especially with Intimidate (not my actual set, but a good point) and Rock Slide will OHKO the vast majority of sets (those containing WoW have a chance)

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I am definitely voting for Truce here.

– He does not use a single lazy EV spread is to be found; all of these fit his team goal very well (semi-sweeping with MegaZard)
– He uses a very creative set to tremendous effect. Seriously, could you build a team using Imprison Lando-T better?
– He takes use of speed control very well, both in Thunder Wave and Icy Wind, and has a way to counter Trick Room, which would otherwise be a huge problem for this core.

Great team all around, I hope you win this round :)

Alright, that wraps up Round 1! Let's look over the votes.

3rd Place: AuraRayquaza (1)
2nd Place: Cxinlee (3)
1st Place: Truce (7)

Congratulations to Truce, the winner of Round 1! Ultimathunder will soon be posting the core for Round 2.

Hey everyone, thanks for participating in round one of the Smogon Doubles Teambuilding Competition! Kudos to Truce for winning!
And now... Let us commence Round 2!

ROUND 2
+

This is a pretty uncommon core, but is quite effective. There are many options that come with this core: both Scizor and Gardevoir have mega evolutions, but can function without them. Mega Gardevoir is a fast, powerful special attacker which is known for its powerful Pixilate Hyper Voice. Mega Scizor is a bulky priority user which can take hits and then attack with powerful moves. How will you all make teams utilizing this core? How will you overcome Pokemon that threaten this core? Will you Mega Scizor? Mega Gardevoir? or Megas for neither? Let's find out!

Last edited:
Reserving post for teambuild. Looks like a really good one with a lot of variety available.

Can't wait to see what people come up with.

Edit: Seems like most teams will be centered around MegaGard with Scizor around to provide offensive support against Fairy types that resist Hyper Voice.

Last edited:
Also reserving. Last round was too boring but I'm in this time.

Stuff happened and I didn't get to ladder as much as I could have, but I finally built something I can play with comfortably (I'm very picky when it comes to teams x_x):

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Telepathy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 3 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Passho Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Light Screen

Conkeldurr @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Detect

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 20 Spd / 104 Def / 128 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72033217

Replay showing how megagard pretty much single-handedly demolished TR.

Set I've been using:

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 24 Spd
Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Hyper Voice
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Basically, max power, enough speed to outrun Adamant max speed megatar after mega-evolving and the rest in bulk. Does work. Rest of the team is still pretty sketchy at the moment but will post it once I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I put far too much time into this and almost cried at my inability to fix my BB code read this, so read it all OK.

THA TEAM:
Rock Paper (Scizor) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Feint
- Protect

Madoka (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 3 Spd
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick Room
- Protect

Reptar (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 132 SAtk / 124 HP
Quiet Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Mourningwood (Trevenant) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 44 Atk / 252 HP / 212 SDef
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Will-O-Wisp
- Wood Hammer
- Protect
- Trick Room

Deep Fat Fryer (Heatran) @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Spin Cycle (Rotom-Wash) @ Assault Vest
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Electroweb

THA EXPLANATION:
Started out as a weird semi-TR team with Scarftar and Fastevoir but there was like, no synergy at all. Despite Mega Gardevoir's speed I decided to just go full TR and I don't regret it one bit. This has been one of my favorite teams in a long time.

Scizor - A fairly standard offensive set. Bullet Punch provides that qt priority Technician boosted STAB whilst Bug Bite provides that qt Technician boosted STAB that steals berries from the likes of Rotom, Trevenant and Cresselia. Feint is a really damn good move. I felt it fit my team better than Swords Dance because it really keeps momentum under Trick Room and compliments the spam of powerful spread moves I have going. Protect is an inspired choice, not many people would use this move ever but I think it's OK :^)
If you think my nickname is shit fuck you, I'm a genius OK. Have a related gif. Based Nichijou

Gardevoir - MEGA WAIFU. Seriously though, one of my favorite Pokemon in the meta. Gardevoir / Pinsir have been my favorite megas so far and Gardevoir has not disappointing this time round. Pretty weird set since I opted for TR despite her it's high speed but it's been surprisingly not shit. HP Ground slams the tran whilst Hyper Voice deals the big dommage, annihilating stuff that tries to hide behind subs and O / 2HKOing a whole bunch of neutral and even resisted threats. TR is there to do what TR does and Protect is staple on everything ever.If you think my nickname is shit fuck you, I'm a genius OK. Have a related gif.
Nickname is based on this qt. Watch Madoka Magica if you're into animu.

Tyranitar - My favorite spread for TRTar. EVs ensure an OHKO on 4 / 0 Garchomp and Landorus-T with Ice Beam provided they aren't carrying Yache. MixTar catches a lot of players off guard and should see more usage imo. Admittedly it's hard to divert that many EVs away from HP outside of TR so it's able to shine more on my team. Crunch and Rock Slide are pretty standard, I kinda wanted to run Stone Edge but I felt Rock Slide was the better choice. Knock Off TTar when Gamefreak?
Nickname is based on best dinosaur

Trevenant - Tree's best set for TR imo. EVs give good bulk and allow an OHKO on 252 / 0 Washtom. Not really got that much to say about it other than it spreads WoW, kills waters, sets TR and doesn't die.
Not gonna link you any images for this one, feel free to look it up.

Heatran - Heatran is so hot right now. #lol #funny #shitposting For real though, Heatran is the shit. I opted for ErrupTran since everyone seems to have a massive boner for SubTran and I'm too indie for that. Charcoal boosts power for Erruption, Heat Wave is backup for when weak and Earth Power hits Flash Fire users. You can't slam the tran.
Deep fried mars bar, surprisingly not vile.

Rotom - Kinda there just to glue the team together, opted for AV to tank Zard Y doesn't often play a key role for the team but Volt Switch is nice and it's typing is really beneficial. Electroweb is there as a backup for if my TR setters get swamped and has pulled me out of a few tight spots. I kinda fancied HP Grass for bulk slug but I decided against it, opting for 3 electric attacks Rotom lel.
Best image on the post imo.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72042395 vs sun. Kinda wished I'd been a bit more ambitious with Feint but, hey ho.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72045361 vs rain. Strong prediction w/ Rotom helped force a quick forfeit.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72047234 vs idk. Decent game that I feel shows the teams synergy and ability to handle certain threats.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72048549 vs sun. Heatran showed it's strength in this game coming in and punching massive holes.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72057305 vs Audiosurfer. Getting FF Erruptan in pretty much won the game. I was pretty lazy with predictions from there on in but he had a long way to go to get back in so I felt pretty comfortable. Edit: rip in peace Audiosurfer
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72119110 vs offense. Despite crit hax, the team still showed how strong it is.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72281146 USE FEINT IT'S PRETTY GOOD #rekt #thefeintening

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72088226 Shoutout to the guys using Focus Blast on his TerraCott Terrakion

Broke 2.1k, happy with that for now. Might give the team another run later.

Last edited:
Team
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 232 Spd / 252 SAtk / 24 HP
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SDef / 232 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Electroweb

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Land's Wrath
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Protect

Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 232 HP / 92 SAtk / 184 Spd
Timid Nature
- Rage Powder
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Tailwind

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 64 Def / 128 SDef
Careful Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Feint

Teambuilding process
i decided that i was going to use mega scizor right at the start because i really wanted to try out scarf gardevoir.

I saw that the core was shat on by heatran, so i used trick gardevoir and added rotom w to kill it. Rotom is also a strong rain counter which helped.

Next i added sub zygarde because i wanted another answer to subtran in case rotom fainted and i wanted a good sand/sun check. The electric immunity is also nice. I used this over garchomp because the better bulk lets zygarde get subs up and keep them up.

Finally i added hitmontop and volcarona together as supporters to the team. They pair well together and both help the team. Hitmontop supports the whole team with fake out and wide guard and gives me good answers to spread moves.

Volcarona gives me another fairy resist as i have 2 weaknesses in hitmontop and zyggy. It also supports the team with rp and tailwind to remedy my team's middling speed.

Pokemon under the microscope
Gardevoir is using trick to really screw over subtran and any other annoying pokes like cress. By tricking them a scarf, they can only attack me, allowing my team members to dispose of them easily (rotom beats every tran and scizor beats nearly every cress, bar offensive rare ones). Moonblast and psyshock as STABs and focus blast for steel types. The evs let me outspeed max speed timid noivern with the rest in bulk and max attack.

Standard mega scizor. Swords dance because it can find many chances to set up with hitmontop, volc and in front of tricked pokes that cant touch scizor.

Rotom w with a sitrus and WoW (not assault vest for once on n a team of mine!) hydro pump and tbolt are standard. WoW for burning threats like mega kanga. Electroweb for speed control, basically a STAB icy wind. the evs let me live timid mega charizard y solar beam 100% of the time and the rest in attack, which lets me OHKO 4/0 lando t all the time.

Sub zyggy. Sub and protect are there as they are standard on any sub set for stalling etc. Lands wrath and rock slide give me a spread edgequake with no drawbacks. The evs allow me to outspeed max speed neutral heatran and the rest in max attack and hp.

Standard hitmontop. Fake out lets scizor get an sd up, rotom WoW a threat and electroweb, zyggy get a sub up, gardevoir trick a poke safely and let volcarona set up a tailwind. Wide guard helps against the weaknesses to spread moves on my team (blizzard, rock slide, heat wave). Feint and close combat for priority + break through protect and STAB, respectively. Standard evs.

Volcarona. RP lets me do most of the same stuff fake out does, and can absorb ice beams for zyggy to sub up easily. Tailwind to remedy my teams middling speed, but is not needed all the time. Heat wave and protect are standard. The evs let me outspeed max speed timid lando t and hit a nice sandstorm number with the rest in attack.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72187600 - a quick forfeit but it shows how zyggy can beat heatran, get subs up and keep them up for a turn or two.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-72189421 - another quick forfeit, but this one shows how trick gardevoir made life easy for me. On turn 3, i knew his clefable was locked into blizzard and so could switch in volcarona and sd with scizor, promptly causing the forfeit.

Last edited:
Well, I'm new to Smogon Doubles, so this team might be a little rusty. I'm also new to Smogon Forums. If there's a problem or you have a suggestion for the team,tell me and I'll try to fix it.

Team:
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Scizor @ Occa Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Feint
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Protect

Heatran @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 4 Spd / 16 Def
Calm Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 132 Spd / 252 Atk / 124 HP
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Helping Hand
- Wide Guard

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 20 Spd / 164 SAtk / 252 HP / 72 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Basically the team's goal is to survive attacks and then attack with high powered moves.

Teambuilding
I chose Mega Gardevoir over Mega Scizor becuase it's more powerful than Megs Scizor and has a powerful Pixilate Hyper Voice. Psyshock is for fighting types like hitmontop and Icy Wind for slowing opponents down. This team isn't really fast so Icy Wind is appreciated. Protect is just for scouting and wasting Trick Room turns. Max HP and Max SpA for power and bulk.

I have a standard Scizor. We all know what Bullet Punch does, Bug Bite for a nice STAB, and stealing berries is quite nice. Feint over Swords Dance since this Scizor doesn't aim to sweep. Feint also hits through Protect which is nice. and Protect is there for scouting again. Max HP and Max Atk for power and bulk.

Hydreigon has pretty good synergy with Gardevoir and Scizor, able to take out fire types, ghost types, and steel types(with fire blast), while Scizor and Gardevoir takes out fighting types, ice types, and fairy types. Draco Meteor for a strong attack, Fire Blast for steels, Dark Pulse for ghosts, and Protect for scouting. Max SpA and Max Speed for a fast and powerful wallbreaker.

I noticed that Hydreigon wasn't enough to take out fire types, and the bug weakness is starting to show, especiall when Volcorona is here. I added a Heatran to counter them and to fire off powerful Heat Waves. Earth Power for coverage, and Sub/Protect for survivability and easier prediction. Max HP and 236 SpD EVs for bulk.The 16 Def EVs allow Heatran to always survive Adamant Max Atk Hitmontop's Close Combat. 4 Speed EVs are for speed creeping opposing Heatran.

Since the team is pretty solid so far, I decided to add support pokemon. Hitmontop really helps the team with Wide Guard and Fake Out support. Close Combat is a powerful STAB attacka and Protect is for scouting. The Speed EVs are there to outpace standard Rotom-W. Max Atk EVs for power and then the rest are put into HP for bulk.

The last pokemon I decided to put on the team was Thundurus. It provides helpful Thunder Wave support, two powerful attacks to weaken pokemon down, and taunts opposing pokemon to prevent setting up and Trick Room. Speaking of Trick Room , I don't really mind it unless there are powerful set-up sweepers on the other team, which is why I have taunt. HP EVs and SpD EVs to always survive Life Orb Latios' Draco Meteor, and 20 Speed EVs to outpace Jolly Breloom to prevent it from putting something to sleep.The rest of the EVs are put into SpA for power.

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I give Rotom my underwear (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psyshock
- Protect

Playing with fire (Scizor) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 72 SDef / 128 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Protect

Give me your underwear (Rotom-Wash) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 232 HP / 228 SAtk / 48 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Electroweb
- Thunderbolt

Now I know my ABC (Zygarde) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 110 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Land's Wrath
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Protect

I like dog biscuits (Heatran) @ Leftovers
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef / 200 Spd
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

What's a fairy? (Hitmontop) (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 216 HP / 216 Atk / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Feint

Mega Gard is all about raw damage output. She's hear to put massive holes in the opponent whenever she gets a chance to do so. Speed support from Scizor and Rotom-W, who can also VoltSwitch out to her, or using her special bulk to switch in, ensures she always gets to switch in safely at least once every match. Then you spam Hyper Voice. Psyshock is for coverage against Poison-types who resist Hyper Voice e.g Gengar, Venasuar, as well as Wide Guard users e.g. Hitmontop. Psyshock deals more damage to Venasaur and Top, though it's close to Psychic. But it helps if the opponent sets up Light Screen. HP Ground is solely for Heatran, but it otherwise walls Gard. Max SpA and Spe as Gard has enough natural bulk to do what it wants, where as I only care for dealing damage with it. Extremely threatening with speed support, and thats just due to Mega Gard's raw damage output. I have two Sub sweepers for bulk. Also putting it out there, it's my main Rotom-W answer. Heatran lures Rotom-W in, sets up Sub, Rotom-W takes down the Subs with Hydro Pump or misses, and Gardevoir just plows through Rotom-W with Hyper Voice. Rotom-W gets worn down pretty easily by this team, as it can't net any easy kills (in fact I switch in Heatran on predicted WoW).

Scizor plays a supporting role. Sets up Tailwind, then U-turns out. Bullet Punch or priority. Spe EVs to outrun base 130s after Tailwind so that it can U-turn out of Talonflame's Flare Blitz and Shaymin-S' Air Slash, and if I'm outspeeding them, may as well outspeed the 130 base Pokemon too. Bulk and Sitrus helps it set up Tailwind more than once. It deals enough damage for my liking.

Rotom-W checks rain teams well and many Pokemon in general thanks to its awesome typing. Electroweb for Speed control, then Volt Switch out to maintain momentum, or Hydro Pump or Thunderbolt for damage. Never found myself needing Hidden Power coverage, so I have 3 Electric type attacks. Assualt Vest gives it the bulk it needs, with 236 HP EVS for 299 HP, minimising sandstorm damage as well as stuff like burn. 56 spe EVs to outrun base 100s after Electroweb (no point in outrunning 101s and 102s as the notable Pokemon with those Speed cannot be hit by Electroweb - Garchomp, Landorus and Thundurus-T). Rest in SpA.

Zygarde gels well with Gardevoir and Scizor, taking out their main threat in Heatran (even though Gard has HP Ground, it won't be enough if Heatran has set up a Sub) as well as other Fire-types. Especially Mega Zard, Talonflame, and Volcarona. In other words, hits all the important Fire-types for x4 damage. Can capitalise on opponents stalling out Tailwind with Sub and back it up with bulk. Sub also great for avoiding status (especially Rotom-W, who then has to rely on Hydro Miss). Max Atk EVs make Zygarde threatening, enough Speed to outrun base 130s after Electroweb.

Heatran provides amazing synergy with this team. Fire immunity for Scizor, x4 Grass resistance for Rotom, resists all of Hitmontop's weaknesses, and immune to Poison for Gard. Zygarde too - having a second Sub user works well, as it deals well with many of the Pokemon who check Zygarde (Fairy-types, Dragon-types) and can switch into all of Zygarde's weaknesses. Very likely opponent will have trouble stopping both Zygarde and Heatran from abusing Sub. Sub also gives Rotom-W a hard team checking it. It also ironically checks opposing Heatran for Mega Gard and Scizor, switching into their Heat Waves, outspeeding and OHKOIng with Earth Power. In other words, my team is well designed to handle Heatran who is really common atm even if it does manage to get a Sub up. Speed EVs to outrun base 130s after Electroweb, and outspeeds my Zygarde by 1 point thanks to bonus point, which helps as I know which one will always attack first. HP EVs to hit 335 HP; anymore would mean Sub takes up an extra 1 HP, with the rest in SpD so if Heatran is paired with Rotom-W, Genesect gets an Attack Boost instead of SpA.

Hitmontop for momentum with Fake Out and aid Scizor in setting up Tailwind and Zygarde/Heatran in setting up Sub. Intimidate support also makes their Subs harder to break and is extremely useful in general. Feint to guarantee kills in case the opponent tries to outstall Tailwind. Stone Miss for OHKOing Mega Zard and Volcarona even if Intimidated, usually at the start of the match when the opponent leads with their Intimidate user - Assault Vest helps with this. Forms good coverage with Close Combat. And mono-Fighting is resisted by lots of Pokemon in this metagame, and it doesn't help that all the common Follow Me / Rage Powder users resist FIghting-type (and Togekiss gets hit super-effectively). Speed EVs to outrun base 130 Spe Pokemon after Tailwind, so that it can smash Pokemon like Shaymin-S with Tailwind before they know what's coming 216 Atk for max bonus points, rest in HP. Also helps outrun opposing Hitmontop to ensure that Heatran or Zygarde can set up Sub against TR teams before they set up TR to outstall opposing TR teams, or Mega Gard lands a Hyper Voice for incredible damage first.

Hit 2067 ranking with this, and will have to stop because I'm going to a different state for a holiday for the next week - Merry Christmas and I'll see you all next year!

Last edited by a moderator:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
bring it bitchezzz

stop fapping pls (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 108 Spd / 44 SAtk / 252 HP / 104 Def
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

snip snip (Scizor) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd / 252 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Protect

fagtran (Heatran) @ Leftovers
EVs: 76 Spd / 252 HP / 180 SDef
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

best mon imo (Hitmontop) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 60 SDef / 60 Def / 120 Atk / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Feint

kiss me (Togekiss) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 16 Spd / 252 HP / 120 Def / 72 SDef / 48 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Roost

v. scary (Garchomp) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

My MegaGardevoir takes a semi-supportive role in this team. Her Taunt is my most reliable way around Trick Room and Will-o-Wisp is there to cripple a plethora of physical attackers, which is quite useful. These two moves, especially Taunt, are usually not predicted by opponents and therefor it works really good. Hyper Voice is the only attacking move Garde really needs, as it just fucks with so much right now. 44 SpA EVs with Modest nature help her to pack enough of a punch, as with this much investment, Garde will always OHKO 252/4 Hitmontop. 108 speed EVs allow her to outspeed things like Jolly Breloom after MegaEvo, which is cool because it allows her to OHKO that thing before it puts something to sleep. It also helps her in outspeeding standard Rotom-W before MegaEvo and Taunting it before it can potentially WoW Scizor (or just smack it with Hyper Voice when Scizor isn't by her side). The remainign EVs are smacked into bulk because surviving hits more consistently is cool. Trace is the preferred ability for me, as it can copy things like Intimidate or Flash Fire from opposing Hitmontops and Heatrans, among other cool stuff (beware if it copies Prankster).

Scizor is quite standard. Once opposing Heatrans and Zards are out of the way, Scizor will often find himself being able to set up thanks to team support (Follow Me, Taunt to prevent burns, Fake Out). However, this isn't a dedicated setup sweeper simply because his counters are around a lot nowadays, which is why I run Life Orb, giving him enough damage output to remain threatening without any boosts under his belt. I didn't feel the need to give him any fancy EV spreads.

Subtran is SubTran and that's pretty much all you need to know. He has an amazing synergy with the team, especially with Hitmontop (obviously), so he finds plenty of opportunities to set a Sub up and from then on he can stick around for a long time. Since Scizor is huge bait for fire attacks, Heatran can profit from that by a clever switch (in over half the matches you'll be fighting with a Flash Fire boost under your belt). Speed is there to outspeed eric generic Rotom-W (I actually run a little more speed than this but I'm not telling you how much exactly lol), the rest is dumped in special bulk because special bulk is cool.

Hitmontop is fucking genius in this meta. Fake Out and Intimidate screw with so many things, it's great. Wide Guard spam always helps to block incoming EQs and Heat Waves. Feint is cool for picking off extremely weakened threats and it messes with Protect so that's cool. The EVs in Defense and Special Defense allow Top to not be 2HKO'd by 0 SpA Cresselia's Psychic/Psyshock 100% of the time. Speed creep because it's cool for faking out enemy Hitmontops. The rest is dumped into attack for stronger Close Combats. c:

Togekiss has a very complicated EV spread and I forgot what it does but trust me it does something cool I think. So uhhh anyways, Togekiss is there because I wanted speed control and Follow Me support, so that's why she's around. I find Tailwind to be a nicer way of controlling speed than icy Wind and Thunder Wave so that's why I chose it over these two. I chose Air Slash over Dazzling Gleam because I already have quite a lot of spread moves on my team (including a fairy spread move by Garde), and Air Slash can beat Hitmontop more reliably. As a bonus, after Tailwind Togekiss isn't outsped by most things and can therefor attempt to flinch hax something if it can't be KO'd in that turn, which is always nice. Roost over Protect because durability is cool (she's my only speed controller, gotta be careful with it ok)

Garchomp is standard as fuck and is basically there because I needed something that does a lot of damage so there's that.

Don't have many good replays, but here are a couple:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-72759590
Kinda decent battle, shows tha powar of Togekiss (physical investment really helps) and also shows that Will-o-Wisp Garde is cool.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-73520700
Battle against one of the frequent #doubles visitors (p. sure it was pwne but who knows), starts off in his favor but around turn 6 I take the upper hand and kill some shit. Togekiss is once again a valuable Pokemon, Garchomp pulls his weight too. Scizor's Bullet Punches really come in handy late-game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-72785408
Not a particularily great replay, but it shows how Heatran can stick around for a damn long time. Also, 6-0 is always fun.

I also 6-0'd Joim with this team but he's my fren in Doubles Team Tounry and his team was a new one so not gonna post that. At least now now, ehehehe.

Oh and I've laddered with this team for a bit and it's #8 currently so that's pretty decent.

Last edited:
Great teams so far, everyone! This is a reminder that this round ends at 8 P.M. CST on Monday the 30th, so make sure to post your teams by then!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)