The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Hello Smogon. This is my first competitive team in quite a while. I actually only made two teams last generation, one was right after the Ubers banlist dropped (Darkrai was still OU) and one was UU, and even that was quite a while ago (I think Hippowdon was on it). I finally got around to making a new OU team for Gen 6. And while there isn't much of a Gen 6 presence on this team, I think it's pretty decent. I think it could be better, though, so I turn to you. Without further ado, here's the team;

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 HP / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

I started the team with this guy in mind, Specially Defensive Scizor. I'm not a huge fan of choice items, I'd rather try to set up and sweep than get locked in, and specially defensive Scizor can do that. All standard items and moves. I wish I had a better way to deal with other Steels (looking at you, Magnezone), but that's what U-Turn and the rest of my team is for, and every move needs to be here for the set to work. I doubt I'd make any changes to Scizor, but the one I'd be willing to make I actually talk about later.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Since I have Scizor, something to handle Fire-types is obviously hugely important. Rotom-W and Scizor have great synergy, and one of the two can switch into most threats. They also create a fun Volt Switch/U-Turn core that can mess with most checks. This set was actually suggested to me as a primary way to deal with Talonflame, and still be able to survive long enough to deal with other threats. Rest also makes Rotom-W a decent status-absorber, which this team lacks. I would be willing to change set with a recommendation, as I think the rest of my team does a decent job of keeping Talonflame at bay/KO it upon entry, especially Tyranitar.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw

With Scizor and Rotom-W constantly entering and leaving the field, I needed a way to keep entry hazards off the field. So I turned to Excadrill to Rapid Spin away Stealth Rock and Spikes that might stack up, due to the team's lack of Taunt. Earthquake and Rock Slide are obvious choices, and Shadow Claw is to deal with Ghosts I can't really hurt otherwise, such as Trevenant and Gourgeist (although I haven't run into many). I went with Sand Rush as the ability so that Excadrill can sometimes outspeed just about everything when coming in when T-Tar's sand is still up. Leftovers over Life Orb so Excadrill can have a little more longevity and can spin multiple times in one match if needed, which due to my lack of Taunt, has happened before. Overall I'm happy with Excadrill, and Shadow Claw is really the only thing I would probably change.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

With my Volt/Turn duo probably forcing plenty of switches, I wanted to be able to set up my own entry hazards. So I went with Specially-defensive Tyranitar so Scizor could focus let on walling and more on looking for openings to set up. Careful nature, the EV spread, and his own sand boost his special defense enough to comfortably switch in, set up Stealth Rock, and either get out or lay some hurting. I make getting in Tyranitar a priority when I see Talonflame, Charizard, Gyarados, or Flying/Dragon types that I can take a nice chunk of life out of during team preview. Tyranitar easily pulls his weight, nailing the aformentioned flying threats with a Stone Edge or Crunch on a predicted Earthquake, which thanks to Stealth Rock and sandstorm, leave most aerial threats too neutered to pose a threat. Like Scizor, there's really only one thing I'd probably change about T-Tar, which I'll mention next.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I had to include a Mega on the team. I just had to. Gyarados seemed to fit pretty well, with Exadrill ridding me of Rocks, and it and Scizor providing enough resisted/immune hits to switch into and get that first DD. Jolly nature to outspeed as much as possible after one DD. Then the offensive moves are for coverage. My main concern with the team; is Gyarados the best Mega for this team? I recently learned that Scizor has a Mega-Specially Defensive set, and T-Tar gets a bulky mega form, too. So, would I be better off making them one of my megas? If so, then Gyara feels a little out of place, but I don't know who I'd replace him with.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Flamethrower

After adding Gyarados, I noticed the team really didn't like Fighting types or Grass types that much. So I added bulky Dragonite to the team. And since Rotom was my only special attacker, I made Dragonite a special attacker as well, which certainly seems to catch people off-guard. Hurricane is the main STAB I go to, hurting grass and fighting types, so long as Sand Stream isn't up. Flamethrower is to roast Steel types that might try to wall him (suck it Skarmory), Roost is to restore health and re-activate Multi-scale, and Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor for longevity. I'd say I'm happy with Dragonite, and I doubt I'd switch his moveset much at all.

So that's the team. I have an answer to most threats, but I've noticed that water types can give me trouble, since they only have to avoid Volt Switch, which removes their biggest check for them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey nice team. The weak link I see here is d-nite. While that special attacking set probably does catch a lot of people off guard, hurricane is just too unreliable, and really doesn't synergize well with that tyranitar. Multiscale is also broken by sandstorm, forcing you to use leftovers in your item slot. To fix these issues and serve the same role as your d-nite does, I would recommend replacing d-nite with a calm mind latias. Latias can take the fighting and grass attacks that your team doesn't really appreciate, and when it's set up it can sweep through teams. Other than that, I might use a focus sash on excadrill instead of leftovers to get the surprise kill on a talonflame thinking it can flare blitz you, or to revenge kill in general, since leftovers arent gonna help you with no bulk investment.

Responding to that rate , and also to bump. While I appreciate the advice of switching in Latias, this is a pre-bank team. And with bank delayed for who knows how long, I'd like to focus on the team in it's current format, which means Latias is off the table. Although I will certainly test it out when bank releases. Also, I fail to see the point in Focus Sash on Excadrill. His primary purpose is to clear entry hazards, which would ruin the Sash. Leftovers doesn't add a huge deal of bulk, I realize that, but Life Orb limits his survivability too much for my liking, although if it turns out that Life Orb nets him key KO's or something I could be persuaded to make the switch.

Anything else? Any thoughts on the mega evolution question?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)