Tentacool [QC: 3/3]

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion

Tentacool

Overview
########

- With the poison buff this generation, Tentacool’s typing gives it a new niche in allowing it to check / counter fairies such as CM Swirlix.

- Aside from fairies, water / poison also gives it interesting resistances to abuse

- Very good special bulk, making it a good special tank / pivot.

- Fairly fast for a more defensively oriented mon.

- Knock Off + Rapid Spin give it two very good options to fulfill a niche on numerous teams.

- Berry Juice helps its cause by giving it extra longevity.

- Low physical bulk makes Tentacool a very shaky check to most physical Fire-types and Fighting-types such as Ponyta, Larvesta and Mienfoo.

- No form of recovery outside of Berry Juice.

Support
########
name: Rapid Spinner
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Scald
move 4: Knock Off / Toxic Spikes
ability: Liquid Ooze
item: Berry Juice
evs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
nature: Calm

Moves
========
- Rapid Spin supports teammates by getting rid of hazards so threats such as Ledyba can wreak havoc with impunity.

- Sludge Bomb gives Tentacool a surprisingly strong STAB to throw around on top of nuking Fairy and Grass mons.

- Scald provides water STAB, combining with Sludge Wave to provide solid coverage, and comes with the always nifty chance to burn.

- With knock off being buffed to 65 base power this generation, and Little Cup mons being so reliant on items, knock off is a great move to spam to provide even more team support.

- Toxic Spikes can be used over Knock Off if TS support is deemed more important on a specific team.

Set Details
========

- Berry Juice being released from banland this generation definitely helps Tentacool by bolstering its longevity, allowing it to take on the likes of CM Swirlix throughout a match.

- A Calm nature along with a specially defensive oriented EV spread gives Tentacool the best possible shot at tanking special attacks.

- 196 HP / 196 SpD give it an impressive 23 HP and 20 SpD.

- 76 Def EVs are thrown in to help Tentacool take physical hits somewhat better.

- Last 36 usable EVs are thrown onto speed, leaving Tenta at a respectable 14 speed.

- A Bold nature can be used along with switching the 196 SpD EVs to Def, but Tentacool’s special tanking prowess is much higher than it’s defensive tanking abilities.

- Liquid Ooze is the preferred ability because it can help turn the tables on Pokemon who use draining moves such as Leech Seed or Giga Drain in certain situations.

Usage Tips
========

- Tentacool is pretty much the premier CM Swirlix counter, so with it being the threat it is in today’s metagame, Tentacool should be kept healthy until it needs to check it.

- While it has plenty of good resistances, the lack of consistent recovery and physical bulk means that Tentacool should be switched in with caution.

- That being said, Tentacool is best saved for mid game when you want to change the tide of the battle by getting rid of hazards or knocking off an opponent’s item.

- As mentioned before, Sludge Bomb is actually pretty powerful and Tentacool has pretty good coverage and speed, so don’t be afraid to try and do some damage to some slower teams.

Team Options
========

- Pokemon that can take advantage of a clear field, such as Yanma, Ponyta, and Murkrow, work wonders alongside Tentacool.

- A good physical tank such as Slowpoke works well to take hits on Tentacool’s weak side and take on Fire-types and Fighting-types that Tentacool couldn’t hope to wall.

- To increase Tentacool’s longevity further, Wish support is also appreciated, especially from the likes of Spritzee because Tenta can switch in on the Steel, Poison, and Fire moves aimed at it.

- Chinchou can help keep Tentacool healthy with Heal Bell support.

- What pairs well with a knock offer? Every LC mon + more knock offers!

Other Options
########

- As mentioned earlier, Toxic Spikes can be used over either Knock Off or Rapid Spin if a team is better supported by it.
- Tentacool has fair speed and access to Swords Dance, but physical sweeping is probably better left off for even faster and/or much more powerful pokemon such Gligar and Pawniard.
- Giga Drain is another option for an attacking move that lets Tentacool hit grasses pretty hard while recovering some HP.
- As for items, Berry Juice is optimal, but with Wish support Eviolite can be used if the added bulk is more beneficial.
- On any set, Sludge Bomb and Sludge Wave are pretty much interchangeable, depending on if a 5 BP increase is personally more valued than a higher poison chance, and vice versa.

Checks & Counters
########
- Tesshido (takes both STABs, can hit with bullet seed)
- Chinchou (good bulk let's it switch in on tenta and hit back with tbolt / volt switch)
- Slowpoke (enough bulk to take hits, psychic)
- Croagunk (takes all of tenta's attacks well, just doesn't like knock off)
- Fast Grounds [Gligar, Diglett] (can't switch in, but easily outspeed and KO)
- Magnemite (tbolt .cry)

Last edited:

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • Any reason why Sludge Wave > Sludge Bomb? Slightly less power with greater poison chance seems good to me.
  • EV spread and set looks optimal, good job
  • I'd give Tspikes a slash with Knock Off rather than just a mention, as its a pretty unique thing Tentacool has access to and often the reason some people use this Pokemon.
  • Berry Juice is indeed the superior item most of the time, but Eviolite should be mentioned around the section with Wish support because Eviolite Tentacool is still legit.
With that, QC 1/3

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
- i haven't rly done any calcs to see if sludge wave > bomb makes that much of a difference, but i'll mention sludge bomb in OO so people can decide what they'd rather use because it pretty much comes down to preference

- yeah i originally had toxic spikes slashed, so i'll keep it there.

- will mention eviolite

Maybe add Clear Body in Other Options? Liquid Ooze is overall better but Clear Body prevents the speed drop from sticky web, making it easier for Tentacool to get rid of it.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
honestly im trying to find a check / counter that you missed but i really cant lol. gg this is too good

3/3

i don't get why sludge wave > sludge bomb. the extra bp doesn't make a difference in the damage calcs vs most pokemon, and the extra poison chance is too valuable to give up. i've calc'd vs chinchou swirlix foongus ponyta yanma porygon murkrow and 1 other mon idr, and only yanma takes a bit more damage. i can do more calcs if you want but i think this is enough to prove my point. the only argument against sludge bomb is you might accidentally poison a mon you wanted to burn, but you should be happy you got any status on all considering it's not guaranteed. sludge bomb should be the move on the set for the reasons rayjay described.

also when you mention croagunk in c&c, give it extra brownie points for being immune to burn / poison. also chinchou can heal bell any status tentacool induces which is pretty sweet too.

otherwise, this skeleton is pretty great.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Sludge Bomb is the superior option for its notably higher chance to inflict the secondary effect of Poison status. The expense of 5 Base Power is more than negligible and Sludge Wave doesn't come close to securing any OHKOs or 2HKOs that Sludge Bomb doesn't. Sludge Bomb should be the only thing in the set and Sludge Wave should get a light mention in Other Options which entails why Sludge Bomb is the better option despite its lower Base Power.

Also, after looking back over this, I'd change the name of the set to just Support instead of Rapid Spinner, since the inclusion of Scald and Knock Off/Toxic Spikes makes it able to do a lot to help out its team other than simply remove hazards.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
- alright, after seeing overwhelming support for it, i'm going to get rid of mention of sludge wave and just put sludge bomb.
- Goddess Briyella: yeah i agree, will change the name to support.

also, i'll start writing it up.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
- alright, after seeing overwhelming support for it, i'm going to get rid of mention of sludge wave and just put sludge bomb.
- Goddess Briyella: yeah i agree, will change the name to support.

also, i'll start writing it up.
For now and for future reference, the way we're doing analyses at this time is you need QC 3/3 before you do a writeup. Then a QC member will come back and do an additional overall check, and after that final approval, you can move on to GP. ♥

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
For now and for future reference, the way we're doing analyses at this time is you need QC 3/3 before you do a writeup. Then a QC member will come back and do an additional overall check, and after that final approval, you can move on to GP. ♥
i do have QC 3/3, sry didn't put in title.

- Pokemon that can take advantage of a clear field, such as Yanma, Ponyta, and Murkrow, work wonders alongside Tentacool.
Snover takes Grass, Ground, and Electric attacks for Tentacool, while Tentacool can take Fighting and Fire attacks for it.

Larvesta should be noted because it's like the only 4x SR weak pokemon. Psychic types don't like U-turn, and it can burn physical attackers that Tentacool doesn't like.

Archen and Gligar takes Ground and set up SR, which stays up with a spinner and not a Defog user. Tentacool can take Water and Ice moves for them. Gligar is immune to Electric, but Archen appreciates the SR removal more.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)