Resource LC Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo, Carvanha should be S rank. It's fucking amazing now that Tangela is gone.

It's a really strong sweeper / wallbreaker in one. Very little can avoid the 2HKO from Waterfall / Crunch (even Porygon and Spritzee are 2HKO'd most of the time after SR or a small amount of prior damage), while it outspeeds everything besides Chlorophyll Pokemon at +1. If it can't kill something, it just uses Destiny Bond and takes your Pokemon down with it. Yea it's frail as balls, but it doesn't give its opponent much room to attack besides priority. It's not even that vulnerable to priority as it resists Bullet Punch / Aqua Jet / Sucker Punch and blocks Fake Out with Protect, while potentially having priority of its own.

I'd say wait a bit before moving it around. Carvanha's usage hasn't spiked yet, so people haven't started taking appropriate measures against it which makes it seem a lot stronger than it probably is. I've already started seeing a lot more Taunters and Phazers in response to Torchic getting popular. If Carvanha starts getting used more, we'll probably see higher usage of things like Croagunk, Timburr, Cottonee, and Snubbull.

Supporting Carvanha for S. The only thing that really counters it (aside from lileep, >:( Al_Alchemist) is croagunk. Timburr is p much 2hkoed after sr so you can switch out, and this doesn't even factor in hydro pump. Anyway, Carvanha is a fucking amazing offensive threat, and should be S.

I am nominating Mantyke for A

I have been using Mantyke for a while now and i freaking love how easily it sets up a Rain Dance and it sweeps entire teams as long as Chinchou and lolLileep is gone. Chinchou can be easily weakened throughout the match with HP ground and teammates and its sweet bulk+typing makes it not vulnerable to most priority moves. Sets up easily on Vulpix and Chloros, fighters and fire types and sweeps entire teams :D.

Vanha for S pls
The reason gunk is on every team of mine

i third the nomination for carvahnna in S rank he is really damnod and i have been swept by him to many times. Also the lucky bastard gets d-bond which is by far one of his most danferous tools

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Carvanha for S

Althoguh vulnerable to priority unless running Aqua Jet, Carvanha is a very potent threat, usually taking down 2 Pokemon before going down itself.

Supporting Carvanha for S. The only thing that really counters it (aside from lileep, >:( Al_Alchemist) is croagunk. Timburr is p much 2hkoed after sr so you can switch out, and this doesn't even factor in hydro pump. Anyway, Carvanha is a fucking amazing offensive threat, and should be S.
Spritzee counters it, Snubbull counters it, fairy types usually counter it, ferroseed can take a hit, anything semi bulky can take a hit and kill it off with whatever move usually. Priority really sucks for the fish. Meditite is around, so fake out will be a pain for it. There is always mienfoo, the regenerating fighting master. It can fake out, take a waterfall and drain punch, etc. There are so many ways to get around carvhana tbh, and its not really metagame changing too much imo. Sure it can clean up late game with the right support, but it doesn't just sweep half your team single handedly. I would keep it at A rank imo, there are much scarier things atm like murkrow, pawniard, swirlix, regen cores, etc.

Also, I'd like to demote Timburr down to B rank. It really has gotten a bit outclassed imo with meditite and mienfoo running around. It may have Mach Punch and Guts, but meditite and mienfoo both have just as good priority and abilities to make them more useful most of the time. Timburr fails to break through many pokemon and tends to lose you much momentum, and it can't really revenge kill too much with mach punch unless they are weakened a bunch. Mienfoo has regenerator+Fake Out and U-turn going on, which is pretty cool stuff to use over Timburr, and Meditite can beat anything it wants to beat pretty much, while revenge killing very nicely. Timburr just seems a bit outclassed atm to me, and it should be b rank.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Zigzagoon was never tiered, I think it belongs in C. With the right spread it can set up on stuff like Gligar, and once certain Pokemon have gone (like Pawniard) it can really threaten teams. Usually teams only have 1 thing that can actually wall Zig, which is what makes it so incredible. It needs a small bit of support like Knock Off for some extra bulky stuff, but that really isn't hard to give. Other than that, it can actually get round most stuff by itself. But it faces massive competition from Swirlix... maybe when that goes it can be B, but for now C.

Pancham: C-->D
D-Rank said:
Reserved for Pokemon that are mediocre in the LC metagame, but are decent enough to justify their use on some teams. These Pokemon are either usable but have no real niche, or are only capable of doing their specific task and fail at doing anything more than that.
Pancham is kinda Mediocre, outclassed by other fighting types, but it's decent enough to justify it's use on some teams. It's capable of doing its task, but not much more... the definition of D rank is basically just describing Pancham. 90% of the time I'd rather use a different fighting-type.

I've been using Pancham a lot lately and it's impressed me. While yea you're only really using it for Parting Shot, it's not useless outside of the move. Its Iron Fist Sky Uppercuts hit pretty hard and it's fairly bulky. Plus Parting Shot is just a really amazing move in general etc. It has a definite niche on frail offensive teams, which makes it solid C imo.

Ashley11, Timburr is most definitely not outclaseed lol. No Fighting-type is as bulky as Timburr for one, plus Mach Punch great and it's just a fucking good Pokemon in general. Like I'm really not sure where that argument is coming from; Timburr is just amazing right now. o.o

Also Meditite and Mienfoo can't Fake Out Carvanha because it has Protect, and a lot of stuff that you mentioned can "counter" Carvanha are actually really shaky counters.

I too would like to nominate Carvanha for S. That fishy fiend is a fantastic late game sweeper, and only has a few big counters. Croagunk is the most obvious, as it resists/is immune to both of Vanha's STABS. Carvanha does have access to Zen Headbutt however, and if Croagunk becomes the premier mon for countering it, Zen Headbutt could quickly become a viable option for hitting that darn frog and other assorted Fighting types. Let's also not forget this piranha's newest tool that was added to its arsenal: Destiny Bond. If a foe would dare to attempt to strike Carvanha down without priority, Carvanha can secure a kill, usually meaning it will get around two kills a game. If one is using Carvanha as a late game sweeper, you simply need to bring a mon that beats Croagunk (and other fighting types, but mainly Croagunk), Spritzee, and Snubull. MixKrow is a fantastic partner, as it can beat Croagunk with Brave Bird, and roasts Ferroseed with Heat Wave. Knock Off support is helpful as well, as it can help remove some bulk from thing that would normally come in to check Carvanha. I've found that Foongus has been a fantastic partner, as Spore, even with it's nerf, is still a really freaking good move.
all-in-all, I believe Carvanha meets the criteria for S rank as it not only acts as a fantastic late game sweeper/wall breaker, but it also has access to Destiny bond to make the other teams life hell. It fills the roles set for it incredibly, and is a fantastic choice for any team.

destiny bond is ridiculous

you can't afford to not attack it because it 2HKOs fucking everything-that-isn't-Croagunk

then it destiny bonds

blargh

it takes a special kind of skill to not get a kill with Carvanha

Carvanha can't switch into any move and it can't take a hit for its life. This is MUCH different than Yanma. While it gets Destiny Bond, you can easily circumvent that with priority and Thunder Wave. I experimented around a lot the last two days, and found some nice checks and ways to outplay it. As of late I've been using Cottonee to deal with Carvanga and Corphish and it works like a charm. I haven't let any of the past maybe half a dozen Carvanhas net a kill other than something that I was foddering, and certainly never get more than 1 kill. While I'm not saying Carvanha is bad, there are more ways to deal with it than Croagunk.

Obviously it's very difficult to hold down Carvanha to not trade 1 for 1 at the worst, but it's very easy to control what you are trading 1 for 1 in these cases, which can end up in your advantage if you play it right.

Carvanha shouldn't really be bumped up to S-Tier considering how easy it is to check. Not many things outright wall it, but a large multitude of pokemon can take one hit from it and OHKO back without any trouble. Carvanha isn't sweeping much without heavy support beforehand. Croagunk and Timburr are also generally going to OHKO it with fighting priority as well. Destiny Bond may potentially let him take something out with him, but it's not difficult to play around it through status or decently strong priority. I'd also hesitate to call it a wallbreaker because it's only doing that if your opponent is foolishly switching around vainly trying not to lose anything. It's about knowing when to let a pokemon go. Any real wall is taking the hit and OHKOing back. It's difficult to prevent at least one pokemon from being taken out by it, but that alone doesn't warrant it an S-tier ranking.

On the note of Timburr, it isn't really outclassed by Mienfoo in function. Mienfoo is a pivot meant to build momentum for your team. Timburr is more than likely going to stay in for more than one turn to wreak as much havok on the opponent before being forced out, and it has stab fighting priority over Mienfoo. Ice Punch also allows it to hit Gligar very hard if it wants to risk switching in. Timburr performs a different role and shouldn't really be compared in that regard.

Why the heck is Grimer in D-Rank?

Grimer is EXCELLENT in LC right now, seriously. Not only does it stop Knock Off from rampaging through your team, it's a good catch all check to pretty much any Fighting type barring Meditite with Psychic STAB (it won't like a Shadow Sneak though), pretty much any Grass type like Foongus, and it can beat almost any Swirlx set considering they never run Psychic. The only Swirlx set I can see Grimer losing to is one with Cotton Guard, Wish, and Eviolite, but I haven't seen one of those yet.

I think we've all observed that like 50% of teams are the silly Mienfoo-Slowpoke-Foongus core, and Grimer is invaluable against these teams. This replay shows just how viable Grimer is. Grimer is definitely not D-rank, it should probably be B-rank.

One of the best things about Grimer is the movepool it has. Don't want to be set up fodder for Gligar or Archen? Use Ice Punch. Pawniard? Magnemite? Ferroseed? PuP, Fire Punch, even Fire Blast get the job done. It even has priority in Shadow Sneak.

Last edited:
Or or or. Pair Grimer with Spritzee, and pass Wishes to Grimer. Have Grimer run Gunk Shot/Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Shadow Sneak for perfect coverage.
While Grimer isn't top tier, it's definitely somewhat anti-meta, and with the buff to Gunk Shot, I'd say it's very viable, and I'd probably put it at B rank. High C at the worst.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Why the heck is Grimer in D-Rank?

Grimer is EXCELLENT in LC right now, seriously. Not only does it stop Knock Off from rampaging through your team, it's a good catch all check to pretty much any Fighting type barring Meditite with Psychic STAB (it won't like a Shadow Sneak though), pretty much any Grass type like Foongus, and it can beat almost any Swirlx set considering they never run Psychic. The only Swirlx set I can see Grimer losing to is one with Cotton Guard, Wish, and Eviolite, but I haven't seen one of those yet.

I think we've all observed that like 50% of teams are the silly Mienfoo-Slowpoke-Foongus core, and Grimer is invaluable against these teams. This replay shows just how viable Grimer is. Grimer is definitely not D-rank, it should probably be B-rank.

One of the best things about Grimer is the movepool it has. Don't want to be set up fodder for Gligar or Archen? Use Ice Punch. Pawniard? Magnemite? Ferroseed? PuP, Fire Punch, even Fire Blast get the job done. It even has priority in Shadow Sneak.
Lol i was about to go on a rant about this madness, but then i started reading thru the comments and i saw yours. I'm here to back you up 100% grimer is a GREAT mon in LC atm tbh imo ESPESCIALLY with wish support. Gligar switches in?
Gligar can go eat in ice punch. +6 BD swirlix on your hands? SCREW SWIRLIX, grimer poison jabs with his slimy little grubby little hands to pimp slap swirlix in it's retarded face for massive damage. Being one of like 2 mons who can take any of Swirlix's moves at +6 and being able to OHKO back is a huge boon. \

0+ Atk Grimer Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swirlix: 20-26 (90.9 - 118.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Swirlix Return vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Grimer: 21-25 (77.7 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

you can even hit pesky psychic types with shadow sneak, as sash abra w/ psyshock cannot OHKO grimer bar w/ stealth rocks, and even then it's still a 6.3% chance. Grimer isn't an offensive slouch either. If you choose to use an offensive one, nothing can reliably switch in that isn't fat as crap. BJ Gligar is OHKO'd, and Evio gligar is 2HKO'd by ice punch, as breifly mentioned earlier. It has a 6.3% chance to OHKO ferroseed with f punch, and can just shadow sneak it the turn after.

Grimer's coverage, bulk, and relatively medium to little amount of support (wish passing is best imo like Wobbles said, and vullaby is a goodt teammate) I think personally warrants it a spot in Low B rank/high c-rank, but if you got any objections, i'd love to hear em, as it may just be my blinding love for #basedsludge

Last edited:
Lol i was about to go on a rant about this madness, but then i started reading thru the comments and i saw yours. I'm here to back you up 100% grimer is a GREAT mon in LC atm tbh imo ESPESCIALLY with wish support. Gligar switches in?
Gligar can go eat in ice punch. +6 BD swirlix on your hands? SCREW SWIRLIX, grimer poison jabs with his slimy little grubby little hands to pimp slap swirlix in it's retarded face for massive damage. Being one of like 2 mons who can take any of Swirlix's moves at +6 and being able to OHKO back is a huge boon. \

0+ Atk Grimer Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swirlix: 20-26 (90.9 - 118.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Swirlix Return vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Grimer: 21-25 (77.7 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

you can even hit pesky psychic types with shadow sneak, as sash abra w/ psyshock cannot OHKO grimer bar w/ stealth rocks, and even then it's still a 6.3% chance. Grimer isn't an offensive slouch either. If you choose to use an offensive one, nothing can reliably switch in that isn't fat as crap. BJ Gligar is OHKO'd, and Evio gligar is 2HKO'd by ice punch, as breifly mentioned earlier. It has a 6.3% chance to OHKO with f punch, and can just shadow sneak it the turn after.

Grimer's coverage, bulk, and relatively medium to little amount of support (wish passing is best imo like Wobbles said, and vullaby is a goodt teammate) I think personally warrants it a spot in Low B rank/high c-rank, but if you got any objections, i'd love to hear em, as it may just be my blinding love for #basedsludge
I have no objections to this at all if it does truly deserve it as i have played against many grimers and they have been annoying as all hell.

Now i am going to nominate wynaut for B rank one last time as on my latest ladder exploration i realized that it is the single greatest fighting type COUNTER in the game bar scraggy. switch in on meditites fake out take 10% they ice punch/drain punch and you ko. Switch into timburrs knock off take 50% they do it again and you take about 30% and ko back with counter. switch into mienfoo if it knock offs it dies and if it u-turns out anything else it switches into will die. It also makes a great gligar check taking a knock off easily and koing back and if it subs/Sd's you can encore. It is also a great partner for many pokemon that are weak to fighting and fighting priority such as carvahna pawniward and even tirtouga. Even more it ca take any unboosted hit in lc and ko back everything bar special murkrow and is a fantastic support pokemon. That being said t should onl be B rank because it has an unfortunate defensive typing a horrible movepool and takes a lot of prediction to use but when used right can easilly remove the checks to your team for a easy sweep.

Nominating Cottonee for B-rank.

As one of two Prankster 'mons with access to encore (the other being Purrloin), Cottonee is an incredible check to top setup sweepers right now. Simply switch in as you see one and Encore the setup move. It also has the added advantage (over Purrloin) of hard-checking (at the least) Carvanha, as Cotton can switch in with minimal damage (or as soon as Carvanha appears) and encore the last move to stop any surprise ice beams or destiny bonds (works especially well vs protect on the first turn), threatening with a OHKO back. It also (at least for now) can cripple Swirlix (especially BD variants) and let your own setup 'mon come in freely. The only thing Purrloin can do that Cottonee can't is utilize priority Rain Dance (which makes it better against Sun and on dedicated rain teams).

Nominating Aipom for C/D-Rank.

I honestly don't understand why Aipom is viewed so badly. Aipom is a very quick Poke in the tier who can revenge kill quite a bit of the current meta. Aipom also has a rather expansive movepool allowing to at least check quite a few prominent pokes as of now. Although I do admit he is outclassed by Meowth, his variety filled movepool and high speed grabs him a spot above F-Rank.

Proposing to move Pancham down to D rank, and possibly moving Machop up to C. Why the hell is Pancham even higher than Machop in the first place? I've never even had anything die to Pancham before, while Machop like the last 3 generations has always been a nuisance, having a wider movepool, 100% accurate dynamic punch, priority, etc. Pancham on the other hand, lol... Idk, what the hell does Pancham do??

Also proposing to move Archen down to B rank. While yes, it's a nifty Gligar check, in reality, it's highly improbable that Archen will be able to beat Swords Dance Gligar in a 1 v 1 Scenario. Turn 1, Gligar Swords Dances and you switch in Archen. Turn 2, Gligar Swords Dances again. Archen either Knocks Off, or HP Ices. HP Ice fails to OHKO and triggers Berry Juice. Turn 3 Gligar Acrobatics, putting Archen below 50% and activating Defaitist. Either way Gligar wins, and this is assuming Gligar only has Acrobatics, I've seen many running Stone Edge/Aqua Tail/Knock Off, which generally fucks over Archen even harder. All in all, the only reason Archen is used is to check Gligar and Murkrow, which oddly enough it barely does either efficiently. It also loses to Murkrow with Icy Wind most of the time when Stealth Rocks are up, and loses to HP Ice Murkrow all of the time even without Stealth Rocks. If you're looking for Krow and Gligar checks, look elsewhere, Archen isn't your answer.

Lastly, I'm proposing to move Wynaut up to B rank, with the set Encore/Counter/Mirror/Safeguard. It's one of the best Meditite revengers/counters, one of the best wallbreakers/stallbreakers, an excellent Encore abuser, and is a great mon overall for getting rid of anything in particular that you don't want to deal with that isn't named like Misdreavus. Pair it with U Turn and Volt Switch and it becomes very easy to get it in on things you need to kill like Meditite, Foongus, Slowpoke, Snover, etc. Safeguard over Dbond is the key to a good Wynaut. Safeguard allows you to be in on things like Foongus and Slowpoke, two very common picks, and keep yourself safe from Twave, Stun Spore, and Spore. Safeguard the first turn, then Encore whatever move they use. No matter what they use, it puts you at an advantage. Attacking will let you kill them through Encore + Mirror Coat, Slack Off/Synthesis can be Encored to 0 PP, and any status move can be Encored to allow you to pivot to something else and get a free turn to do whatever you want. Alternatively, you can be an asshole like me and Encore Spore to 0 PP too :'3

4 SpA Archen Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gligar: 20-28 (86.9 - 121.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Just don't use a -Satk Nature
It still loses to ones with Knock Off, but in all honest nothing really counters SD + Knock Off Gligar very well.

I would still move to down to B now that Yanma is gone, it still is good, but it isn't nearly as easy to put on a team compared to Spritzee, Chinchou, Magnemite, Meditite, etc.

Proposing to move Pancham down to D rank, and possibly moving Machop up to C. Why the hell is Pancham even higher than Machop in the first place? I've never even had anything die to Pancham before, while Machop like the last 3 generations has always been a nuisance, having a wider movepool, 100% accurate dynamic punch, priority, etc. Pancham on the other hand, lol... Idk, what the hell does Pancham do??
Pancham is not supposed to be killing stuff...? Literally all it does is Parting Shot, and while that may make it seem like it should be D rank, Parting Shot just so happens to be an amazing move that gives it enough of a niche to be C rank. Pancham on a team with scary setup sweepers is pretty great, as it gives them free switchins and allows them to setup easier. It's not an amazing Pokemon by any means but it's good enough for C rank lol.

That said I agree with all of your other suggestions. Machop is pretty cool now that it doesn't get blocked by Misdreavus.

Also you guys using Poison Jab on Grimer are doing it wrong... use Gunk Shot. Gunk Shot actually makes Grimer do a lot of damage. A 120 BP (40 BP more than PJab) STAB move with 30% chance to poison is no joke, and its accuracy only goes down by -20%. For reference, people use Hydro Pump over Surf even though it's only 20 BP more than Surf. </tangent>

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Pancham is not supposed to be killing stuff...? Literally all it does is Parting Shot, and while that may make it seem like it should be D rank, Parting Shot just so happens to be an amazing move that gives it enough of a niche to be C rank. Pancham on a team with scary setup sweepers is pretty great, as it gives them free switchins and allows them to setup easier. It's not an amazing Pokemon by any means but it's good enough for C rank lol.

That said I agree with all of your other suggestions. Machop is pretty cool now that it doesn't get blocked by Misdreavus.

Also you guys using Poison Jab on Grimer are doing it wrong... use Gunk Shot. Gunk Shot actually makes Grimer do a lot of damage. A 120 BP (40 BP more than PJab) STAB move with 30% chance to poison is no joke, and its accuracy only goes down by -20%. For reference, people use Hydro Pump over Surf even though it's only 20 BP more than Surf.
o i thot it was still 70% rofl thx gen 6 for screwing up all my crap

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pancham: Fine in C-rank. It's used as a support Pokemon more than an offensive one, and it's a great pivot for offensive teams because of Parting Shot and its bulk and typing.

Carvanha: I'm on the fence about, leaning more towards against moving it up. It's definitely at least an A+ Pokemon, but I don't really see it as S-rank. Most of the common bulky walls and pivots in the tier handle it really well, and I just don't quite see it on the same level as other S-rank Pokemon. Gligar and Swirlix can easily sweep through opposing teams, and Murkrow is bar none the best wallbreaker in the tier. In my eyes, Carvanha isn't as effective as any of these Pokemon.

Machop: Just screams "why?" to me. Other than Dynamic Punch, I would literally never want to use it over other Fighting-types in LC, and Dynamic Punch isn't enough to fit in C-rank.

Cottonee: Fine in C-rank. Prankster Encore and walling Carvanha are both good niches, but let's not be overly generous here. Cottonee is not nearly as easy to slap onto any old team as any of the other defensive Pokemon in B-rank are except for maybe Tyrunt. Prankster Encore also can only go so far. If you mispredict against a setup sweeper, you might very well lose, and it's frankly quite predictable when it comes in on a setup sweeper that it will either be using Stun Spore or Encore, depending on the situation.

Archen: I'm ok with moving Archen down to B-rank. It's really good, but I'll agree that it's not quite as reliable of an answer to the things it's supposed to check as you'd always like it to be.

Wynaut: Fit for C-rank. It doesn't check any Fighting-types well except for Meditite, and while checking Meditite is fantastic, it's not enough to push it to B-rank in my opinion. I've tried it out a few times, and it's just really hard for it to come in and do its job.

Aipom: Trash.

Grimer: I am willing to move Grimer to C-rank, but absolutely not B-rank. Gligar handles it disgusting well. It's not really anti-meta when Gligar is the meta. You can say "oh but Ice Punch!" but we all know how that works out in practice. You're rarely going to catch a competent player switching Gligar into something that knows Ice Punch because if it learns it and has no other way to touch Gligar, it will be running it. Also in the replay that was linked where Grimer was "proven" to be "good", all it did until the end of the game was repeatedly switch into Foongus and Timburr. Walling Foongus is hardly an impressive quality, and walling Timburr isn't that difficult with shit like Spritzee and Swirlix all over. The calcs against Belly Drum Swirlix are wholly unimpressive because Grimer has to be near full HP in order to tank a hit. Things get worse when you realize that it has no reliable recovery. This means that unless you're willing to dedicate Grimer to checking solely Swirlix (which you shouldn't set up with Swirlix when the opponent still has a full HP Grimer anyways), then it can't actually win.

Timburr: Probably never going to drop ever. It's so solid at what it does. It's way bulkier than Mienfoo, which makes up for the lack of Regenerator. It has Mach Punch and Ice Punch to allow it to pick off weakened stuff, take on frailer Pokemon weak to Fighting without worrying about dying before it gets a chance to attack, and take on Gligar one-on-one. Probably the only real issue with it is that it gives a free switch to Swirlix, but this is somewhat remedied by Knock Off, which keeps Belly Drum sets from being nearly impossible to revenge kill.

Zigzagoon: C-rank sounds good.

Mantyke: I feel like Mantyke is perfect for B-rank, but I honestly cannot refute any of the arguments Nozzle brought up. I'm going to leave it for now, but I'd like to see more discussion on it.

Koffing: I've never used Koffing, and I honestly don't think I've ever even seen one this gen in the hundreds of LC games I've played. No strong opinion on it.

SO! With all of that out of the way, here are the changes I'm doing right now:

A-rank -> B-rank
D-rank -> C-rank
Added to C-rank
B-rank -> C-rank
B-rank -> C-rank

Proposed changes that are remaining the same:

Remaining in C-rank
Remaining in D-rank
Remaining in C-rank
Remaining in C-rank
Remaining in E-rank
Remaining in A-rank

Proposed changes that need more discussion

S-rank or A-rank?
A-rank or B-rank?
B-rank or C-rank?

And finally, a couple of my own nominations.

Pawniard should drop down to A-rank. It's undoubtedly a huge presence in the metagame and something that every team should be prepared for, but as time has passed, I've seen the metagame slowly adapt more and more towards handling it well. Bulky Fighting-types are on nearly every single team right now, offense or otherwise. Timburr, Croagunk, Mienfoo, Meditite to an extent (lives any one hit and scores an OHKO), as well as more obscure ones such as Pancham, Riolu, and evidently Machop. Bulky Water-types can also take it on decently well, with a special mention going out to my nigga Corphish. Snover has begun to run HP Fighting just to destroy it on the switch. Gligar might not counter it, but it definitely gives Pawniard a tough time. Bulky Fire-types also handle it pretty well, with Ponyta and Larvesta being the most obvious ones thanks to Flame Body. I doubt that any of us will deny that there was a time when Pawniard was an easy fit in S-rank, but the metagame has adapted well around it, enough to drop it from its throne down to A-rank, where it will probably continue to reside for the rest of the generation.

Almost as though it's taking over for Pawniard, I believe that Meditite should be moved up to S-rank. It's such a stupid fucking Pokemon, and I hate it so much. Classic Drain Punch / Ice Punch / Fake Out / Bullet Punch Meditite is the single best counter to offensive Swirlix, both Belly Drum and Calm Mind. Being able to take out the scariest LC sweeper without even batting an eye is incredible, but this set is still somewhat inferior to what it could be running because so many different things wall it. Slowpoke bodies it. Spritzee takes like 30% from Bullet Punch. Larvesta doesn't care about it at all. Eviolite Misdreavus can readily switch in and either burn or KO it. But when you give it Zen Headbutt, Larvesta is OHKOed after Stealth Rock and 2HKOed without it, Misdreavus is 2HKOed (with an 81% chance to OHKO Berry Juice sets after Stealth Rock!), and Spritzee, well, still checks it well because it takes like 40%, but 2HKOed with just a little bit of prior damage! Slowpoke obviously still walls it, but you can run Thunder Punch for it as well. This is all just plain old Eviolite Meditite as well. Life Orb Meditite is absolutely destructive, and it can even muscle through Slowpoke without Thunder Punch.

196+ Atk Life Orb Pure Power Meditite High Jump Kick vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 10-13 (35.7 - 46.4%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

:O

There is nothing that outright counters Meditite because what beats one set loses to another. It's a huge force to be reckoned within LC, and unlike Pawniard, is worthy of a seat in S-rank.

Eh, I suppose I can comment on Carvanah after having used him quite a bit before. He is great, but not S-rank material. Anyone bulky enough to switch into a hit can pretty much KO him, or at least force a switch. He is really only great late game, when their walls and pivots are in the OHKO range. Destiny Bond is nice, but Mach Punch doesn't care, so he is forced out by Timburr. The only other way he can sweep is if the other team lacks any bulk, which is not something you can count on. He is a solid A-rank, but very fragile and is checked by anything that he can't OHKO, unless he runs Destiny Bond. He is also very difficult to switch in safely, and really wants to either revenge KO or Protect when he is sent out. I think he is not common enough atm, so players are surprised when he plows through some of their less bulky pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)