Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are better options. What do you want to hit with Energy Ball? Rotom-W, Gastrodon and Quagsire all take seriously heavy damage from Draco Meteor.
if I run DM/psyshock/shadow ball, what should I put on the last slot, thunderbolt or surf?

Alright, this may be a very noobish question, but:

Does a certain move do the same damage if used twice against the same opponent without any stat changes in those turns?

For example:

if my +2 special attack Venusaur (2d2 special attck ev) uses sludge bomb on a +0 and 0 special defence ev Espeon, and it does 94.1% damage, will it do that exact same amount of damage the next turn? (without critical hits)

I'm asking this because of a damage calculator i used, it tells me that there is a 62.5% chance to 1 hit ko espeon.
And the damage can differ between 94.1% and 111.3%.. does this mean that the damage will be different depending on the turn, or is the difference caused by critical hit or no critical hit?

I hope i made myself clear enough, if not, tell me ^^

Thanks in advance :p

Alright, this may be a very noobish question, but:

Does a certain move do the same damage if used twice against the same opponent without any stat changes in those turns?

For example:

if my +2 special attack Venusaur (2d2 special attck ev) uses sludge bomb on a +0 and 0 special defence ev Espeon, and it does 94.1% damage, will it do that exact same amount of damage the next turn? (without critical hits)

I'm asking this because of a damage calculator i used, it tells me that there is a 62.5% chance to 1 hit ko espeon.
And the damage can differ between 94.1% and 111.3%.. does this mean that the damage will be different depending on the turn, or is the difference caused by critical hit or no critical hit?

I hope i made myself clear enough, if not, tell me ^^

Thanks in advance :p
The game's damage calculations include a randomized factor. That random element is rerolled every time you make an attack, so no, two consecutive uses of the same attack on the same Pokemon by the same attacker will (probably) not do the same damage.

Calc tools generally give the full possible range. They will tell you if critical hits are factored in; generally they are not unless the move being calculated is something like Storm Throw that auto-crits.

I got my Pokebank Celebi, it's a Naive Nature with 31 in Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense. Any suggestions on what to use it for? I don't want it to go to waste as Celebi is one of my fave pokemon.

I got my Pokebank Celebi, it's a Naive Nature with 31 in Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense. Any suggestions on what to use it for? I don't want it to go to waste as Celebi is one of my fave pokemon.
Depends on its other IVs. If it's got good speed you can use it for a special sweeper, or if it's got good HP you can use it for physically defensive support though of course something like bold would be ideal for that.

If you have a Pokemon, let's say Absol, and you want to have Knock Off on this thing, a move, which can be only taught via the Move Tutor in Generation 5 and then transfered via Pokebank, do you need a perfect Absol right off the bat or can you have a 0 IV'd and EV'd one with the move and then breed it with a Ditto? Do the move tutor moves "transfer" to the babies?

If you have a Pokemon, let's say Absol, and you want to have Knock Off on this thing, a move, which can be only taught via the Move Tutor in Generation 5 and then transfered via Pokebank, do you need a perfect Absol right off the bat or can you have a 0 IV'd and EV'd one with the move and then breed it with a Ditto? Do the move tutor moves "transfer" to the babies?
No. Check for a list of egg moves (Serebii and Bulbapedia have good ones); if a move tutor isn't on that list (most aren't), it won't pass down. You need an Absol with competitive IVs in Gen 5 to learn Knock Off from the tutor.

The only Pokemon that I can think of for which this is a major exception is Hydreigon, which gets Earth Power as an egg move in Gen 6... but the only parent that learns it is Hydreigon itself, via Gen 5 Move Tutors. Very few other Pokemon get tutor moves from gen 5 as egg moves in gen 6.

No. Check for a list of egg moves (Serebii and Bulbapedia have good ones); if a move tutor isn't on that list (most aren't), it won't pass down. You need an Absol with competitive IVs in Gen 5 to learn Knock Off from the tutor.

The only Pokemon that I can think of for which this is a major exception is Hydreigon, which gets Earth Power as an egg move in Gen 6... but the only parent that learns it is Hydreigon itself, via Gen 5 Move Tutors. Very few other Pokemon get tutor moves from gen 5 as egg moves in gen 6.
Ugh, that sucks. So I gotta start breeding some stuff in Gen 6 and hope, that someone with a good Absol trades with me. Are there any good trade forums or things like that?
Also thanks for the quick answer :)

Depends on its other IVs. If it's got good speed you can use it for a special sweeper, or if it's got good HP you can use it for physically defensive support though of course something like bold would be ideal for that.
Okay, as I can't check IVs exactly without levelling it and using a reset back (not an option at the moment), I've got HP as 20-29, and both Atk and Spd 10-19, Possible Hidden Power Types: Dark, Dragon, Ice, Psychic
This was using MetalKid's calculator. Any ideas how to get a better estimate, or failing that, what to do with the info I have?

Okay, as I can't check IVs exactly without levelling it and using a reset back (not an option at the moment), I've got HP as 20-29, and both Atk and Spd 10-19, Possible Hidden Power Types: Dark, Dragon, Ice, Psychic
This was using MetalKid's calculator. Any ideas how to get a better estimate, or failing that, what to do with the info I have?
You can narrow down the HP type if you go back to the NPC in Anistar City who gives you the TM. He'll tell you the HP type of any of your Pokemon, which will also give you a finer estimate of your IVs.

Ugh, that sucks. So I gotta start breeding some stuff in Gen 6 and hope, that someone with a good Absol trades with me. Are there any good trade forums or things like that?
Also thanks for the quick answer :)
There's a Wifi subforum here on Smogon that has trade threads. You might also check some of the IRC chats; #safari tends to have a lot of breeders lurking and I've done plenty of trades there.

I've got some decent Absols, but no Knock Offs sadly.

If you have lots of pokemiles, you can go online to pokemon global link and buy a bunch of rare candies there (cheaper than in-game), then sync them to your game. Once you have them, save, then feed them all to your Celebi, do the calcs again, and once you have your numbers, just soft reset and you'll have your rare candies back.

As for the info you have now, none of those hidden power types will be all that useful to Celebi except perhaps Ice, though it doesn't want to be staying in on powerful flying types one way or another and it has grass moves for ground types. I'd say what you've got would be best as a physically defensive set.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey does anybody know if Gen 6 breeding mechanics allow Shelmet/Accelgor to use encore and spikes on the same set?
Yep, both mother and father can pass down their moves onto the child

So if you have a female Shelmet and bred with a male Shuckle with Encore until you get a female Shelmet with Encore, you can then use that Shelmet and breed with a male Forretress with spikes to get a baby Shelmet with both Encore (from the mother) and Spikes (from the father)

Yep, both mother and father can pass down their moves onto the child

So if you have a female Shelmet and bred with a male Shuckle with Encore until you get a female Shelmet with Encore, you can then use that Shelmet and breed with a male Forretress with spikes to get a baby Shelmet with both Encore (from the mother) and Spikes (from the father)
Thats makes sense. Thanks!

Is Red Card supposed to trigger even if the Pokemon holding it is behind a sub? I've used a Slurpuff set relying on this, and, at one point, Pokemon Showdown had this stop working, and later, it seems that it suddenly started working again, so I'm not sure what the actual in-game behavior is.

Alright, my current (rain) team is:

Poli/Sableye/Roserade/Kabutops/Jirachi/Rotom-W
I feel I need a Defog/Rapid Spin user (preferably physical).
My best bet being mixed (Hurricane/Thunder/Defog) Dragonite, though I'm not sure I have access to it if I can't pass down Defog to breed a perfect one.

Any ideas? There's Excadrill and Scizor, though I don't know how else they'd fit in my team besides defog/spinning.
Starmie and Rain Dish Tenta work, but I feel I need another physical attacker other than Kabutops.

After trying for weeks to Masuda Method a shiny Honedge, I finally succeeded! However, its IVs are 31 / 31 / 31 / 14-15 / 31 / 30 (it has a Quiet nature and is meant to be a mixed attacker). The low Special Attack IV is worrying me; how many critical KOs are missed with that IV versus a perfect 31? In addition, the in-progress OU analysis suggests 12 Speed EVs for Quiet Aegislash to outrun Sassy Tyranitar; do those EVs change with a 30 Speed IV instead of a 31 IV? And the bottom line: is this Honedge viable for competitive play with friends or should it be display only?
Alright, after doing more Masuda Method breeding I ended up with a second shiny Quiet Honedge with the following IVs: 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 24-25 / 31. I suspect that this is good enough, but will the missing Special Defense IVs cause any major problems?

Alright, my current (rain) team is:

Poli/Sableye/Roserade/Kabutops/Jirachi/Rotom-W
I feel I need a Defog/Rapid Spin user (preferably physical).
My best bet being mixed (Hurricane/Thunder/Defog) Dragonite, though I'm not sure I have access to it if I can't pass down Defog to breed a perfect one.

Any ideas? There's Excadrill and Scizor, though I don't know how else they'd fit in my team besides defog/spinning.
Starmie and Rain Dish Tenta work, but I feel I need another physical attacker other than Kabutops.
Ït depends a bit on what kind of spread you have. If you want him to be a defog user, I would use a much more defensive spread (such as 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD). However, I personally think it's a waste of his great attack stat and movepool. If you need another physical attacker, why not Scizor-Mega or mandibuzz? Both have their niches.

Now, I have a question myself. It's a bit of a probability math I am confused about. I'll admit, I'm not that good when it comes down to math, so I might assume the wrong thing. When a pokemon is infatuated, it has a 50 % chance of not attacking. When being confused, it also has a 50 % chance of not attacking. I have learned that when chances are seperate of one another, they can be added up with each other (P(X)+P(Y)= P(X OR Y). Would this mean that when a pokemon is infatuated and confused, it has a 100 percent chance of not attacking?

Last edited:
Ït depends a bit on what kind of spread you have. If you want him to be a defog user, I would use a much more defensive spread (such as 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD). However, I personally think it's a waste of his great attack stat and movepool. If you need another physical attacker, why not Scizor-Mega or mandibuzz? Both have their niches.

Now, I have a question myself. It's a bit of a probability math I am confused about. I'll admit, I'm not that good when it comes down to math, so I might assume the wrong thing. When a pokemon is infatuated, it has a 50 % chance of not attacking. When being confused, it also has a 50 % chance of not attacking. I have learned that when chances are seperate of one another, they can be added up with each other (P(X)+P(Y)= P(X OR Y). Would this mean that when a pokemon is infatuated and confused, it has a 100 percent chance of not attacking?
Eh, I want something to defog/spin that works well in rain teams.
Mega Blastoise, Tentacruel, and Starmie might actually be my only choices. This means I have to replace two of my pokemon if I want a spinner and another physical attacker.

I'll probably run mixed hydreigon or dnite with one of the spinners mentioned above.
Question is which two I should remove?

I'm thinking maybe sableye and give tentacruel/blastoise rain dance and either jirachi or rotom.

As for your question, that sounds interesting as hell if it's true.
If you plan on using that in battle, what will you do if your opponent simply switches out?

Alright two questions: One I'm aware that in order for a Pokemon has to reach a certain percentage in usage, but can someone enlighten me roughly what that number is, If I'm remembering this correctly it's around 3% but I can't quite remember, and two is there a way to see these percentages for simulators such as PS! Somehow, people awhile back were saying Rotom Wash was the most used Pokemon, and I'm curious to see other Pokemon's usage as well, along with seeing what barely made the OU cut. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this question.

Alright two questions: One I'm aware that in order for a Pokemon has to reach a certain percentage in usage, but can someone enlighten me roughly what that number is, If I'm remembering this correctly it's around 3% but I can't quite remember, and two is there a way to see these percentages for simulators such as PS! Somehow, people awhile back were saying Rotom Wash was the most used Pokemon, and I'm curious to see other Pokemon's usage as well, along with seeing what barely made the OU cut. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this question.
You can see the usage statistics on smogon's official server here. In order to be OU, a Pokémon must have >3.4% usage over the last three months. Thundurus-Incarnate only had 3.2% usage last month, but as its usage was higher in the past two months, it managed to stay in OU.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A TIMID(doen't need to be) SHINY GRENINJA WITH PROTEAN?????

I'll give You 2 shiny pokemon and a legendary if i have too

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
1) Go to the battle institute in lumiose, everything is levelled to 50 in there, even your pokemon below level 50
2) Go to the hidden power guy and get your hidden power
3) Get the "characteristic" (proud of its power, dozes often, etc)
Plug the data from these into an IV calculator and it should give you an exact result

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)