Resource LC Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I treat everyone like an idiot, including myself lol :3
Yeah was a bit too rood though, probably went overboard with the sarcasm

I never said anything about Gligar being banned making Carvanha stronger? I said that Gligar and Swirlix have been banned, and the Swirlix banning helps Carvanha in multiple ways, as it lost one of its best checks and its now the best late game cleaner.
whups, misread your post. Either way Gligar getting banned probably hurt Carvanha. And Swirlix didn't check Carv

IMO give everything 2 weeks before making any actual changes, right now everything is theorymoning aside from saying that Meditite is so much stronger now, that's about the only obvious thing.

I treat everyone like an idiot, including myself lol :3
Yeah was a bit too rood though, probably went overboard with the sarcasm

whups, misread your post. Either way Gligar getting banned probably hurt Carvanha. And Swirlix didn't check Carv

IMO give everything 2 weeks before making any actual changes, right now everything is theorymoning aside from saying that Meditite is so much stronger now, that's about the only obvious thing.
Meditite's Eviolite set essentially has no 4MSS at all anymore, since it doesn't have to run Ice Punch. It doesn't have two of the best pokemon all potentially being able to beat it (I lost my Meditite to way many of those stupid Cotton Guard Swirlix's). From the few ladder matches I've played since the bans, it's clear to me that Meditite is going to be the defining pokemon of this metagame.

EDIT: Also, Misdreavus is really, really good. I just started using Specs, and it OHKO's a lot of things that it couldn't before, and Trick's utility in a metagame where Items are so important is invaluable.

Oh, alright then. Your last sentence really weird, I got it now though

Dwebble checks counters are are still pretty common as fuck. You'll see Mienfoo and Timburr on basically every team. The only way that Dwebble actually has a small amount of counters is if you assume a situation where Dwebble gets a completely free Shell Smash with Sturdy and BJ still intact. Without a free set up, Dwebble becomes something that at best, just trades one for one, which is a disadvantage for the Dwebble user as the other player can choose what to sacrifice.

One would think that banning Gligar would help SS Dwebble, but actually LC just lost its best Defogger, and Vullaby is probably the only other really good one right now, so it's harder to keep SR off the field now because Vullaby is far less reliable of a Defogger than Gligar. Obviously this really hurts SS Dwebble and its ability to sweep.

HOWEVER. If you're going to keep arguing Dwebble for A rank, I can see it being A rank through an offensive hazard setter, full hazard, etc. Like I said, LC just lost its best Defogger. I have 0 understanding of why people think Shell Smash Dwebble is A rank after having using it for 30 games myself, but could definitely understand the A rank thoughts for hazard setting after Gligar's ban. I still think it's B though.

Last edited:
Oh, alright then. Your last sentence really weird, I got it now though

Dwebble checks counters are are still pretty common as fuck. You'll see Mienfoo and Timburr on basically every team. The only way that Dwebble actually has a small amount of counters is if you assume a situation where Dwebble gets a completely free Shell Smash with Sturdy and BJ still intact. Without a free set up, Dwebble becomes something that at best, just trades one for one, which is a disadvantage for the Dwebble user as the other player can choose what to sacrifice.

One would think that banning Gligar would help Dwebble, but actually LC just lost its best Defogger, and Vullaby is probably the only other really good one right now, so it's harder to keep SR off the field now because Vullaby is far less reliable of a Defogger than Gligar. Obviously this really hurts SS Dwebble and its ability to sweep.

HOWEVER. If you're going to keep arguing Dwebble for A rank, I can see it being A rank through an offensive hazard setter, full hazard, etc. Like I said, LC just lost its best Defogger. I have 0 understanding of why people think Shell Smash Dwebble is A rank after having using it for 30 games myself, but could definitely understand the A rank thoughts for hazard setting after Gligar's ban. I still think it's B though.
Yeah I can agree to this. I used Dwebble when electrolyte was hyping it in his votw thread, and even though this was the era of yanma back then, I can say that it's really hard to pull off a successful sweep against a competent player.

I agree with this statement. Offensive Hazard Dwebble is really good. Since Spikes just isn't a very good move anymore, Dwebble gets a free move slot now which it can fill with other moves, like another attack, or perhaps Protect (not sure if this good, threw it on because fuck Fake Out lol). That being said, Dwebble isn't all that powerful offensively without Shell Smash, and it can be played around. It also gets countered by the common Fighting-Types, which have become even more prevalent due to the Swirlix and Gligar ban.
Overall I think Dwebble should be kept in B-Rank. It has solid niche, and is strong enough to stay out of C, but just isn't good enough to get bumped up to A IMO.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
I honestly think right now, ferro should be moved down to b-rank because of the abundance of powerful fighting types running around in the LC metagame now that bat is gone, and the abundance of fire types able to run around the tier be cause it is gone. i mainly found ferro used to counter le spritzee and check Gligar, as i don't believe +2 gligar could ohko a defensive seed, though i may be wrong.
I feel that ferro is still a great sr+spikes setter, but dwebble outclasses it in so many ways because of how easily it sets up rocks w/ sturdy

My next case is for shieldon to be moved up to c-rank. It's ability to set rocks easily with sturdy, it's utility in hard checking murkrow and spritze, and it's ability to phase make it oretty solid right now. It has great psynergy with defoggers, because of fighting and ground types threatening it the most, and until mixkrow starts running hp ground (which it honestly should) shieldon 2HKOs it with the coverage moves it should run

Suggested changes: ferro to b
shieldface to c

(Also ridley r u happy yet? Lurking for days to counter my argument. Smh)

I honestly think right now, ferro should be moved down to b-rank because of the abundance of powerful fighting types running around in the LC metagame now that bat is gone, and the abundance of fire types able to run around the tier be cause it is gone. i mainly found ferro used to counter le spritzee and check Gligar, as i don't believe +2 gligar could ohko a defensive seed, though i may be wrong.
I feel that ferro is still a great sr+spikes setter, but dwebble outclasses it in so many ways because of how easily it sets up rocks w/ sturdy

My next case is for shieldon to be moved up to c-rank. It's ability to set rocks easily with sturdy, it's utility in hard checking murkrow and spritze, and it's ability to phase make it oretty solid right now. It has great psynergy with defoggers, because of fighting and ground types threatening it the most, and until mixkrow starts running hp ground (which it honestly should) shieldon 2HKOs it with the coverage moves it should run

Suggested changes: ferro to b
shieldface to c

(Also ridley r u happy yet? Lurking for days to counter my argument. Smh)
No I'm not happy yet, thought you were going to talk about Elgyem >:I

Anyway, I agree that Ferroseed should be moved down to B-Rank. Gen 6 has not been kind to the spiky little fruit. With Meditite and Krow running wild, Ferroseed struggles to act as a bulky wall and SR setter. Dwebble simply outclasses it in that role, as it has more offensive more offensive presence and an easier time setting up Rocks. Like Glass said, Fire types in general smash Ferro, destroying any hopes it had of walling bigger threats. It still is useful, just marginally less so, which I believe contributes to a drop down to B.

Also #PraiseShieldface

??

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
Mienfoo for S.

Reserved for Pokemon that are amazing in the LC metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this tier have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.
Even though it lacks power compared to tite/murkrow, sheer utility this pokemon provides makes it S material for me. Also, one shouldn't forget Mienfoo is in almost every single toptier team, and bulky knockoff isn't its only set. I got caught off-guard by scarf mienfoo once;god these hijumpkicks hurt as fuck. It is amazing in the lc metagame,can perform one role extremely well and its use is definitely low risk/high reward. Well played mienfoo can survive entire battle and knockoff half of opponent's team,heal itself by switching/drain punching, it can provide momentum(u-turn), and Scarf set surprise factor can catch some players because most mienfoos are bulky attackers ;
For me Mienfoo is the single best pokemon atm for many reasons; one just can't go wrong with it and you can slap Mienfoo into every team and it will work. This is what defines S rank imo.

Am I missing something? Why exactly did Pawniard drop in its viability placement?

I also agree with everything DTC said about Pawny and Missy. Both are extraordinary in this meta, and though one, Pawny, doesn't exactly have multiple sets, the sets it does have he does quite amazing. I feel both of these cuties exhibit all features of what an S-tier mon should, as said in the definition. Missy can either sweep with Nasty Plot, or wall and spread WilloWisp everywhere. It even has Taunt to prevent it from being set up bait, though with its huge offensive presence, it doesn't need it, and can run various coverage options to cover its weaknesses, or your team's weaknesses. Pawniard is one of the best SR setters in the tier now, with the absence of Gligar. It is also the best user of Knock Off, as many mons who resist it don't exactly like mis-predicting and switching into an Iron Head instead, especially if their items have already been Knocked Off.

I am not entirely sure why Pawn was even dropped to A in the first place, if I'm being quite honest.

how did ferro check gligar

tank an eq, pray for 5 bullet seed crits?
Well it switched in, Seeded and then spammed Bullet Seed repeatedly, until either one eventually gave in (or out). Sometimes Ferro won, other times Gligar did. Ferro was a good way to get Gligar down to low HP tho tbh.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
yea um why aren't pawniard and misdreavus s-rank? both of them have very good typing, are powerful af, are incredibly hard to wall, can be fit onto pretty much every team, pawniard is best knock offer, missy is best special sweeper. like i really don't see what's holding them back.

sorry i haven't looked at this thread in a while and it's something that perplexed me.

fatty I checked a while ago and I think everyone was like "ways to counter Pawniard have increased; every team is prepared for it." I was always against it, as Pawniard is still quite difficult to counter... I'm iffy on Missy simply because of Knock Off, but I'll admit I haven't used it much. I'll post some more concrete thoughts after playing around with stuff more.

EDIT- Ferroseed is a freaking amazing hazard setter; do you have any thoughts other than "Fighting-types gg," GlassGlaceon? Ferroseed is an amazing check to Fairies and various threats in the meta, has good bulk, Leech Seed and Spikes as support moves (AND SETS THEM UP CONSISTENTLY SO NO, NOT TERRIBLE BECAUSE OF DEFOG). Oh, and did I mention it totally fucks over SturdySmashers? Nop, not B imo. Also can we please stop tiering obscure mons because someone happens to have played with them and believes they are C-worthy? I wouldn't use Shieldon because of the exact reason you stated--Fighting-types--as well as the fact that its typing is mediocre and it doesn't have good recovery...
Also the fact that you think Ferro is outclassed by Dwebble seriously makes me doubt the legitimacy of your post...

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
fatty I checked a while ago and I think everyone was like "ways to counter Pawniard have increased; every team is prepared for it." I was always against it, as Pawniard is still quite difficult to counter... I'm iffy on Missy simply because of Knock Off, but I'll admit I haven't used it much. I'll post some more concrete thoughts after playing around with stuff more.

EDIT- Ferroseed is a freaking amazing hazard setter; do you have any thoughts other than "Fighting-types gg," GlassGlaceon? Ferroseed is an amazing check to Fairies and various threats in the meta, has good bulk, Leech Seed and Spikes as support moves (AND SETS THEM UP CONSISTENTLY SO NO, NOT TERRIBLE BECAUSE OF DEFOG). Oh, and did I mention it totally fucks over SturdySmashers? Nop, not B imo. Also can we please stop tiering obscure mons because someone happens to have played with them and believes they are C-worthy? I wouldn't use Shieldon because of the exact reason you stated--Fighting-types--as well as the fact that its typing is mediocre and it doesn't have good recovery...
Also the fact that you think Ferro is outclassed by Dwebble seriously makes me doubt the legitimacy of your post...
Kingler, I never said fighting types GG. I just said LITERALLY almost every fighting type beats ferro.

And dwebble outclasses seed when it comes to spike stacking. Dwebble has sturdy juice for one, giving it pretty good longevity. It's a good offensive spikes setter, and ferro has 2 main flaws that keep it from being better
1.Fighting types in LC-almost EVERY team runs a fighting type, and I honestly find myself foddering it off in every match due to how useless it is against these things
2.fire types in LC- same case as above, except seed does even LESS to these things, and their viability shot up due to gar's ban

Dwebble's weaknesses are a lot less standard, and it has a decent offensive prescence and More speed. There is 1 extremely viable fairy in the meta. ONE. There are two common sturdysmashers.
Walling about 5 mons in the meta is unimpressive, and it gets destroyed by tite, krow, timburr, foo, pawniard, scraggy, larvesta, ponyta, growlithe, magby, and many other mons like lax and grimer is too situational to be consistently effective.

Shieldon 2HKOs spritzee, is a check to mixkrow, and is a great sturdy mon. Don't knock it till ya try it.

So how's that for fighting types GG?

ferro can neuter pretty much every one of those with twave except timburr and scraggy 30% of the time

ferro's amazing typing and bulk let it check / beat / set up on / cripple bunnelby, carvanha, chinchou, porygon, spritzee, slowpoke, tirtouga, dweb, archen, mantyke, shellder, staryu...

dwebble can set hazards and die but it doesn't have those defenses or that typing, especially w/ SR weakness + no glig for defog. it has like 2 resists lol

ferro might be b-rank but it isn't as useless as you make it out to be, not by a long shot

I don't think it's the fact that ways to counter have increased, but the pokemon that do counter it are more prominent due to the loss of Swirlicute and Gligar. I can see how that would be a set back for Pawniard's viability; however, Pawniard is still far superior than the rest of the pokemon in A-rank, to me, and it is still one of the best pokemon in the tier. Pawniard+Meditite is an incredible offensive core, and after you include a fairy-type, almost any in the tier, you're pretty much good-to-go. There is literally no reason to not use Pawniard, as far as my knowledge goes.

As for Misdreavus, it has definitely become a much better sweeper now without the aforementioned threats. After a Nasty Plot, and after certain walls which are actually fairly obvious are eliminated, it can sweep with little effort. It's also much easier now for these threats to be eliminated, as LO Meditite OHKOs them all. Ghost is also an incredible typing this meta, and with Misdreavus being the best Ghost, I feel this is also reason enough for it to be S-rank. Misdreavus is basically just incredible right now.

As for Ferroseed, I actually think it deserves to be A. It has an incredible defensive typing, has an incredible support/utility movepool, having SR, TWave, Leech Seed, etc. It also is a great check to many threats, as Darkamber8828 mentioned, and I feel Dwebble isn't outclassing anything at all in this meta. For fighting-types, most are countered by Slowpoke, Spritzee, Wynaut, or any other threat that resists its main STAB.

Last edited:
Kingler, I never said fighting types GG. I just said LITERALLY almost every fighting type beats ferro.

And dwebble outclasses seed when it comes to spike stacking. Dwebble has sturdy juice for one, giving it pretty good longevity. It's a good offensive spikes setter, and ferro has 2 main flaws that keep it from being better
1.Fighting types in LC-almost EVERY team runs a fighting type, and I honestly find myself foddering it off in every match due to how useless it is against these things
2.fire types in LC- same case as above, except seed does even LESS to these things, and their viability shot up due to gar's ban

Dwebble's weaknesses are a lot less standard, and it has a decent offensive prescence and More speed. There is 1 extremely viable fairy in the meta. ONE. There are two common sturdysmashers.
Walling about 5 mons in the meta is unimpressive, and it gets destroyed by tite, krow, timburr, foo, pawniard, scraggy, larvesta, ponyta, growlithe, magby, and many other mons like lax and grimer is too situational to be consistently effective.

Shieldon 2HKOs spritzee, is a check to mixkrow, and is a great sturdy mon. Don't knock it till ya try it.

So how's that for fighting types GG?
The difference between Ferroseed and Dwebble is Dwebble is an offensive entry hazard setter, whereas Ferroseed is a defensive hazard setter. You can't really compare the two, given their roles. Dwebble gets destroyed by fighting-types as well, and can't do a single thing in return. Ferroseed can at least hit them with twave to cripple them, the obvious exception being Timburr. As for the walling 5 mons thing, just look at the A and B-tier list. Ferroseed can stop Bunnelby, Carvanha, Chinchou, Porygon, Slowpoke, Spritzee, and Tirtouga, all from the A list. Then there's Dwebble, Foongus, Mantyke, Munchlax (unless it has Fire Punch), Shellder, and Staryu. Huh. That's more than five.

I don't really think you're giving him enough credit either, and you can't really compare Dwebble and Ferroseed, considering one is offensive and the other is defensive.

To clarify some things:

228+ Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Earthquake vs. 84 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 8-10 (36.3 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

This is a very shaky answer, considering Bunnelby does have U-turn. 1 U-turn and then it's a clean 2HKO with Earthquake next time.
Life Orb and Choice Band sets will always 2HKO.

Also Ferroseed can actually lose to CM Spritzee if you get unlucky with Bullet Seed, as only a 5 hit can 2HKO, but your odds of getting two 5 hit bullet seeds is not exactly good. If it carries only Gyro Ball, it defintely loses, and if it carries Iron Head it wins.

196+ Atk Life Orb Carvanha Crunch vs. 84 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 9-12 (40.9 - 54.5%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I would not rely on Ferroseed for my Carvanha check either.

To clarify some things:

228+ Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Earthquake vs. 84 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 8-10 (36.3 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

This is a very shaky answer, considering Bunnelby does have U-turn. 1 U-turn and then it's a clean 2HKO with Earthquake next time.
Life Orb and Choice Band sets will always 2HKO.

Also Ferroseed can actually lose to CM Spritzee if you get unlucky with Bullet Seed, as only a 5 hit can 2HKO, but your odds of getting two 5 hit bullet seeds is not exactly good. If it carries only Gyro Ball, it defintely loses, and if it carries Iron Head it wins.

196+ Atk Life Orb Carvanha Crunch vs. 84 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 9-12 (40.9 - 54.5%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I would not rely on Ferroseed for my Carvanha check either.
it still checks those mons, as they wouldn't want to get hit by a twave. the point is that ferroseed walls more than just five mons.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Uhh, concerning Carvanha vs. Ferroseed:

You already calc'd Carvanha's Crunch:
196+ Atk Life Orb Carvanha Crunch vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 9-12 (45 - 60%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO
(9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 12)

Look at the rolls, though. You have to high roll once to 2HKO.

Ferroseed does 8 damage with each Bullet Seed hit (12 on a high roll). This is a guaranteed OHKO if 3 Bullets hit, and there's a 66% chance of it hitting more than 2 bullets at once.

I'm willing to bet that Ferroseed's winning that match-up most of the time.

It's not exactly practical though, considering that Ferroseed only has Leech Seed as recovery. For example if you switch in on a Waterfall once, the next time you'll be 2HKO'd by Crunch. Similar to Bunnelby.

So yes you can usually survive two Crunches, what if there is a chinchou on the other team also? Well you can't really switch ferroseed into it because you'll be at risk of a 2HKO.

Not saying Ferroseed is bad or anything, in fact it's one of the better Steath Rock users in LC, but saying it is a reliable check to Bunnelby and Carvanha is not entirely true. Maybe my standards are really high or something.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Ferroseed is unable to take some of the most common Pokemon in LC as well, while Dwebble is almost guaranteed to survive three hits as long as hazards aren't up.

MixKrow
84 SpA Murkrow Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 228 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 20-24 (100 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Meditite
196+ Atk Pure Power Meditite Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 18-24 (90 - 120%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
196+ Atk Pure Power Meditite Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 24-32 (120 - 160%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Misdreavus
236 SpA Misdreavus Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 228 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 7-9 (35 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Pawniard
+2 236+ Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 15-18 (75 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ Atk Pawniard Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 10-12 (50 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vullaby
76 Atk Vullaby Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 6-7 (30 - 35%) -- 1.1% chance to 3HKO
Add in a Brave Bird and it's a 3HKO. Vullaby can also defog away any hazards of ferroseed sets up, and seed cannot outdamage roost.

Chinchou/Bunnelby
If Ferroseed runs thunder wave and not bullet seed, it cannot hurt chinchou badly. If it does not run thunder wave, it cannot neuter bunnelby.

Cottonee
Taunt+Encore makes Ferroseed unable to do almost anything. In addition, Ferroseed cannot cleanly 2HKO with gyro ball.
92 Atk Ferroseed Gyro Ball (54 BP) vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Cottonee: 8-12 (34.7 - 52.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

Ferroseed can be useful, yes, but is outclassed by many things and can easily give the opponent free turns. As such, it is absolutely B rank, as it can be useful, just not always.

misdreavus can't 2hko and gets paralyzed

ferro can beat chinchou and bunnelby at the same time by running twave/leech seed/bullet seed or ihead/sr

gyro ball is literally worthless in lc

please name 1 thing that outclasses ferroseed

krow/pawni/tite hate twave on the switch

yes, it has counters

but that doesn't mean it's shit >__<

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Your point about t-wave is correct. But if all you're planning on doing with ferroseed is t-waving, it's outclassed by prankster mons.

Hazard setting is outclassed by dwebble, because Dwebble can set up hazards and not worry about something coming in when it sets them up that can OHKO it.

Also, I specifically didn't name things that kill it even better, like Larvesta and every other fire type, and timburr actually says thank you for the paralysis.

196+ Atk Guts Timburr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 14-20 (70 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
Then Mach Punch, and now Ferroseed is dead.

Also, I specifically said that Ferroseed is outclassed by things, not that it's worthless. B rank does not mean that it's shit. Also, it would be B+, not just a B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)