Pokémon Rotom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted User [105998]

Banned deucer.
Rotom- A lovable little electric poltergeist that has been possesing various appliances and causing mischief in the metagame since Pokemon Platinum.

Rotom comes in many forms and, as of Gen V, typings. It comes in Wash, Freeze, Heat, Mow, and Spin forms.

What does Smogon think about the viability of Rotom-C in OU as a counter to threats such as Azumarill, Rotom-W, Greninja, and Breloom?

Rotom-C

Pokedex Number
Type(s) - Electric / Grass
Base Stats: 50 HP / 65 Atk / 107 Def / 105 SAtk / 107 SDef / 86 Spd

Abilities

Levitate
This Pokemon is immune to Ground-type attacks, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and the Arena Trap ability; it loses these immunities while holding Iron Ball, after using Ingrain or if Gravity is in effect.

Notable Moves-
Leaf Storm
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Will-o-Wisp
Thunder Wave
Trick
Discharge
Substitute
Charge Beam

I've had success running a Calm set to take as little damage from Rotom-W as possible as well as being able to take as little damage from greninja as possible and even survive an ice beam if needed. With a Scarf it can outspeed and KO Greninja out right as well as Rotom-W after stealth rock. Rotom C also can take aqua jets and waterfalls from azumarill and scares it out and can build momentum.

Rotom-C's niche may have been stopping rain teams in BW2 but it still is useful for taking on the ubiquitous Rotom-W in XY. Buffs to its grass and electric typings also make a strong case for him in XY OU

Last edited:
Rotom-W doesn't even have its own thread (all I could find was an old Rotom-H thread). This guy is almost completely outclassed by W and its only niche in OU is so small now that I don't see why it should get its own thread. Maybe a Rotom thread in general, and you list this as one of its potential sets, but not by itself

Rotom-M is a great pokemon and all, but with the rain nerf it cant pry on Water Type pokemon as much anymore. Its great for scouting and I think its OU quality, but its still very niche.

The only set I can think of that would be semi successful in OU would be a scarf set, other than that this pokemon just gets stepped on and outclassed by tons and only has a small niche.

Rotom-W only has 1 weakness which is Grass.
Rotom-M has Fire, Ice, and Poison.
In Conclusion, Rotom-Mow < Rotom-Wash unless you're running a Mono Grass Team. lol OU
They have both the same stats, but different movesets.

Is it OU viable? Yes. But Rotom-C struggles to make the cut because of its many weaknesses.

It's still one of my favorite Trick Scarf users though, and it's interesting typing makes it very unique.

Deleted User [105998]

Banned deucer.
Rotom-W doesn't even have its own thread (all I could find was an old Rotom-H thread). This guy is almost completely outclassed by W and its only niche in OU is so small now that I don't see why it should get its own thread. Maybe a Rotom thread in general, and you list this as one of its potential sets, but not by itself
I changed the title to just cover Rotom in general. I can update the OP with other sets as people post them. I chose Rotom-C since there was already a Rotom-H thread and Rotom-W has been talked to death and I figured it could be a viable alternative to Rotom-W. I don't mind discussing all the other forms either though

The thing about Rotom is that, even though the different forms have different types and STAB move, they all do pretty similar things. Rotom-W is the easiest to use because its only weakness is grass, and hydro pump is a decent move, but all the Rotoms (except maybe Fan) have things over the others. Cut is immune to spores, resists water and grass, and can beat its Wash counterpart (it would probably volt switch out, but scaring it off while taking almost no damage is something to mention). Some teams may find Cut more useful than Wash, or find Heat more useful. If this thread's going to have any useful discussion, it should probably look at what instances using another Rotom form could actually be useful, because the philosophy now is that you just smack Rotom-W on a team and your good, and I really hate that.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[04:41am] ChouToshio: what the hell
[04:41am] ChouToshio: how did we not have a Rotom thread until now in OU?
[04:41am] ChouToshio: not even for Rotom-W
[04:42am] Yilx: well theres not much to discuss about the guy
[04:42am] Yilx: hes great
[04:42am] drcossack: dafuq
[04:42am] Pokermans: all threads are rotom threads?

Rotom-W is one of those mons you have to ask yourself-- why am I NOT using it?

Ok, found a Rotom thread, so here's my question:
Is it viable to run a bulky trick set with Rotom-W? I'm asking because my rotoms are all bulky, and I've been thinking of making a really annoying high-defence Rotom in my team. I've got a t-tar to tank spec attack hits, so this Rotom-W could act as a possible check(?) to Mega Khan or Talonflame (and maybe tricked Chesnaught) I've got the following moveset:
~Will-O-Wisp
~Trick
~Volt Switch
~Hydro Pump

So the items gonna be a Choice Scarf, but what I've been thinking about is the ev spread, this has to be unique, and I'm kind of a noob so far at competitive breeding, so I made a Smogon account to get this question answered (pretty cool community so far! There's even a soccer page!).

Basically, is it possible to run a bulky defence trick set with Rotom-W, it's a extremely versatile pokemon with only one weakness (excluding mold breaker Excadrill EQ), so I though it might be, but if it's not, why? And if it is, could anyone recommend a EV spread that could help? (Oh and calcs would be good, like -oh use a __ speed ev because a choice scarfed Rotom-W out speeds a ____-

Thanks!

EDIT:Oh btw this is in-game, not Showdown, which is why my options are a bit limited, I've played Showdown for a year now, but comparatively, I'm pretty bad in-game because of breeding.
Actually... I don't even know if there's much of a difference other than Pokebank, anyway, I was thinking he might fit in a sand team, because of the nerf of weather.
Again, thanks for answering, and sorry for the excessively long post!

Last edited:
Ok, found a Rotom thread, so here's my question:
Is it viable to run a bulky trick set with Rotom-W? I'm asking because my rotoms are all bulky, and I've been thinking of making a really annoying high-defence Rotom in my team. I've got a t-tar to tank spec attack hits, so this Rotom-W could act as a possible check(?) to Mega Khan or Talonflame (and maybe tricked Chesnaught) I've got the following moveset:
~Will-O-Wisp
~Trick
~Volt Switch
~Hydro Pump

So the items gonna be a Choice Scarf, but what I've been thinking about is the ev spread, this has to be unique, and I'm kind of a noob so far at competitive breeding, so I made a Smogon account to get this question answered (pretty cool community so far! There's even a soccer page!).

Basically, is it possible to run a bulky defence trick set with Rotom-W, it's a extremely versatile pokemon with only one weakness (excluding mold breaker Excadrill EQ), so I though it might be, but if it's not, why? And if it is, could anyone recommend a EV spread that could help? (Oh and calcs would be good, like -oh use a __ speed ev because a choice scarfed Rotom-W out speeds a ____-

Thanks!

EDIT:Oh btw this is in-game, not Showdown, which is why my options are a bit limited, I've played Showdown for a year now, but comparatively, I'm pretty bad in-game because of breeding.
Actually... I don't even know if there's much of a difference other than Pokebank, anyway, I was thinking he might fit in a sand team, because of the nerf of weather.
Again, thanks for answering, and sorry for the excessively long post!
Bulky Defensive Rotom is actually the most common set for him, for the reasons you suggested: Talonflame and other major physical threats. Trick sets are also common and frustratingly effective, so no worries there. Your moveset seems fine, though I might consider trading out WoW for Thunderbolt, as in some battles you may want to keep your scarf to outspeed various threats and WoW isn't great when you're choiced. As for speed, 180 Speed EVs with a neutral nature and a scarf outspeeds max speed Greninja, which is a great milestone. 224 Speed EVs outspeeds neutral nature base 130 pokemon like Jolteon.

Bulky Defensive Rotom is actually the most common set for him, for the reasons you suggested: Talonflame and other major physical threats. Trick sets are also common and frustratingly effective, so no worries there. Your moveset seems fine, though I might consider trading out WoW for Thunderbolt, as in some battles you may want to keep your scarf to outspeed various threats and WoW isn't great when you're choiced. As for speed, 180 Speed EVs with a neutral nature and a scarf outspeeds max speed Greninja, which is a great milestone. 224 Speed EVs outspeeds neutral nature base 130 pokemon like Jolteon.
Well I was thinking of using WoW as an option only if I've managed* to get trick off, and volt switch if trick isn't possible. So if I invest 180 speed, would I then put the rest into def/hp? Or would some Sp Att EVs be more useful.

Well I was thinking of using WoW as an option only if I've managed* to get trick off, and volt switch if trick isn't possible. So if I invest 180 speed, would I then put the rest into def/hp? Or would some Sp Att EVs be more useful.
That's really up to personal preference. If you want to use Rotom for Kanga and Talonflame mostly, though, I would say go for bulk. It makes Rotom stick around longer to keep pressuring those mons he counters, allows him to pivot better, and Rotom hits hard enough anyway without that many attacking EVs.

How does Heat Rotom do against a talonflame? I suspect it be close to a hard counter taking low damage from either of Talonflames stabs and firing off a T-bolt back at it.

How does Heat Rotom do against a talonflame? I suspect it be close to a hard counter taking low damage from either of Talonflames stabs and firing off a T-bolt back at it.
It fairs just as well as Rotom-W except its SR weak, can't be burnt, and its STAB move for it to be in its forme halves its SpA. All in all, if you need something for Talonflame, Wash>Heat. Rotom-H isn't a bad pokemon, it's just outclassed by a few pokemon.

Yea, that tends to be the case. I prefer Rotom-M or regular Rotom, for dealing with Gastrodon and Spin Blocking respectively, but Rotom-W got it's usage due to last gens Infinate Rain.

It's a bit frustrating how prevalent rotom-W is. it does so much, and on top of that one particularly nasty pair-up I have found is with entei. between the two they can beat every burn absorber except guts conkledurr. rotom-w takes out any fire types and starmie, entei can beat all the grass type natural cure users and blissey that would otherwise counter rotom with sacred fire.

Will a physically defensive Rotom-H be viable? I was thinking allong the lines of a Chesto-Rest one like it's washing machine counterpart Rotom-W simply to help remove status, specifically poison which wears it down without the aid of Heal Bell or Aromatherapy. The abundance of physical attacks it's weak to (Stone Edge, EQ + Mold Breaker, Aqua Jet and others) will probably shut down this idea though.

Rotom-H @ Chesto Berry
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Will-o-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Could someone provide a spread for a Trick-scarf variant? Thanks!!

I'm makinga team surrounding M-saur and I'm thinking of putting heatom on there. Aside from m-saur and heatom I have an adamant goodra. An uxie(did I mention this was a rain team). Gallade and galvantula(sticky web support).
Now obviously washtom would be better given that is a rain team but I like heatom with a white herb or a fire gem for that late game when my uxie may have fainted and I still have to deal with talonflame or m-lucario. Plus fire coverage is nice to have for those pesky steel types named mawile or aegislash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)