Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
aegislash. resists both stabs and can hit back hard with shadow ball and shadow sneak. scizor is another good one, also resisting both stabs and nailing it with bullet punch.
I would say scizor and the blobs are the perfect counters for it while Heatran doesnt always run flash cannon and aegislash can be threatened by shadow ball.

Also, would it be viable to run hp fire on megavoir?

Hey Smogon. I posted this as a thread but they told me to move it to here. It might be a little bit longer than normal but I digress.

Down to the nitty gritty: Over the course of a few battles, I had noticed that the move protect (and likely detect, etc.) if used when the opponent uses a stat changing move seems to have had a 100% success rate if you use it immediately again and they then use an attack. I am fully aware that protect can be used in succession (starting at 100% and then 50%, 25% and so on until it fails.), but I believe that this may be a different instance.

I'm not sure how to word it, but say it goes something like this;

Weavile used Protect!
Volcarona used Quiver Dance!
Weavile used Protect!
Volcarona used Flamethrower! Weavile was protected!

rinse and repeat, without failure.

Now, I had uploaded a battle video to show what I mean: the code for it is BVWG-WWWW-WWW5-K8RU

We had done the above scenario like 3 or 4 times in the video and it worked each time, and then we attempted to just use protect on a quiver dance in succession and it failed like one would normally expect. Therefore, I'm not sure if it was just fluke luck 100% of the time I've tried it (because I noticed it on repeat in battle maison), or what the deal is.

I request that others else please try it out (Stat boosting move + attack vs. two protects) and see if they get the same results.

I hope I'm not just an idiot wasting yalls time lol. Cheers. :)

Say I switch my pokemon out and my opponent uses Whirlwind in the same turn, will Whirlwind fail? I know Dragon Tail, for example, succeeds in this situation; however with Whirlwind I'm not so sure..

Say I switch my pokemon out and my opponent uses Whirlwind in the same turn, will Whirlwind fail? I know Dragon Tail, for example, succeeds in this situation; however with Whirlwind I'm not so sure..
It doesn't fail. You will switch, then Whirlwind will happen, and the Pokemon you switched in will get Whirlwinded out.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes, Whirlwind still works if you or your opponent switches right before use, forcing you to switch a second time.

I would say scizor and the blobs are the perfect counters for it while Heatran doesnt always run flash cannon and aegislash can be threatened by shadow ball.

Also, would it be viable to run hp fire on megavoir?
HP Fire isn't very good unless you're sure you can predict the Scizor switch in, because it'll just OHKO you before you can move:
252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 306-362 (110 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Is there anything notable that a timid scarf heliolisk can outspeed that a modest scarf heliolisk can't?
Scarf Garchomp, Deo-S and +1 Charizard are propably the most notable, basically everything at +1 with a 96 base speed (you tie 95) and higher will outspeed you.

np. also, I'm wondering why you start off with 2 water types. just for my knowlege. i generally try to have different types so there isnt a guarenteed check for 2 of my guys
I would use Blastoice everytime, but use Azumarill mostly for aqua jet and play rough. also, I used two water types in VCG before, also, pretty much all my other pokemon cover the weaknesses to grass and electric types. also, I play for fun and wanted to train a azumarill

Last edited:
I would use Blastoice everytime, but use Azumarill mostly for aqua jet and play rough. also, I used two water types in VCG before, also, pretty much all my other pokemon cover the weaknesses to grass and electric types. also, I play for fun and wanted to train a azumarill
greninja is your worst nightmare on that team though. he checks both your water pkm and your garchomp. ferrothorn could take it out but they'd probably switch out before you could power whip or gyro ball depending on if you predicted scald or ice beam.

greninja is your worst nightmare on that team though. he checks both your water pkm and your garchomp. ferrothorn could take it out but they'd probably switch out before you could power whip or gyro ball depending on if you predicted scald or ice beam.
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 392-462 (137 - 161.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 420-494 (146.8 - 172.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
really?

see any immediate flaws with this team? I've been running it for a couple days and it seems to wreck most passerby people. the gengar does seem a bit random its just a pivot for fighting or ground

forretress defensive rocky helmet sturdy
ferrothorn sp. defensive leftovers anticipation
hippowdon defensive smooth rock sand stream
tyranitar sp. defensive assult vest sand stream
garchomp physically offensive choice band sand veil
gengar specially offensive gengarite (or specs) levetate

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 392-462 (137 - 161.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 420-494 (146.8 - 172.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
really?
how will your azumarril or blastoise fair against a STAB grass knot? after that your focus blast is neutral not super effective. will it still KO?

see any immediate flaws with this team? I've been running it for a couple days and it seems to wreck most passerby people. the gengar does seem a bit random its just a pivot for fighting or ground

forretress defensive rocky helmet sturdy
ferrothorn sp. defensive leftovers anticipation
hippowdon defensive smooth rock sand stream
tyranitar sp. defensive assult vest sand stream
garchomp physically offensive choice band sand veil
gengar specially offensive gengarite (or specs) levetate
look, I won't start a war, but no. I can't see any flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)