Pokémon Cofagrigus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
I like combining calm mind and burns. Now nothing can kill you.
Not as easy as one might think to setup like that. Aegislash is everywhere, and strong repeated hits are terrible, as Cofagrigus can't setup under that type of pressure. Sure, an easy thing to say, and Cofagrigus can do that, but its lack of reliable recovery really hinder its ability to pull that off. Hard to kill? Yes. Nothing can kill you? Exaggerated greatly imo.

Toxic Spikes // Lead
Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Magic Coat
How can Cofagrigus learn Toxic Spikes and Magic Coat? Since Toxic Spikes is a Gen VI Egg move and Magic Coat is a Gen V move Tutor move, i really don't know how you can give both moves to him. :)

Cofagrigus is a hard counter to Azumarill. It is immune to Superpower and if it switches into it's other moves then Huge power is lost. I guess a similar thing applies to Mega Mawile and Mega Medicham??? Anyway, Cofagrigus can run an effective trapstall set.

Name:TrapStall
EVs:252hp/252def
Bold nature
Item:Leftovers
Move 1:Infestation
Move 2:Night shade/Shadow ball/Will-o-wisp
Move 3:Rest
Move 4:Sleep talk
The concept of this set is to stall out a physical attacker while preventing them from switching out. It's not so effective if the opponent has any kind of reliable recovery. Infestation is there for the trapping effect and the 1/8th damage each turn. The 2nd move is either for doing damage or for burning them and further reducing their attack stat. Rest and Sleep talk are for recovery and to keep it free of status. It's also helpful if it can burn stuff or do some damage in it's sleep.

Hard counter? No, it lacks the reliable recovery to be so, they'd only need to apply a bit of pressure and it'll never get a chance to wake up to Rest again. For that reason you'd always want to pair this guy up with a Cleric at all times.

Excellent check? Yes.

In any case it will lose Huge Power and the sane thing would be to switch anyway so you won't really trap it, second problem is if it happens to be a Belly Drum variation then whilst you stripped it of it's Huge Power at the cost of Cofa you still have a +6 atk rabbit running around. Other scenario is it's CB a straight up PlayRough (which is not unusual, it can afford to be reckless powerful as it is) will strip even full defensive Cofa of more than half it's health while it's free to run off to something else to continue the attack.

Finally Shadowball is pretty much required on that set, without it Gliscor has a free setup opportunity at least with Shadowball you can force it into a stalemate, unless it has Taunt where you are truly screwed but thankfully isn't near as common. Where as Dark switch in's you can run from with minimal damage, with Gliscor momentum is more important.

I honestly am fine with running Infestation over WoW on Cofa but special care still needs to be taken.

I love Infestation on this thing. No escape at all. Even on a Switch, if you use it, you just send out your counter for the other pokemon. Never gonna die in one hit without prior set up, either.

563.png

Cofagrigus
N: Relaxed (+def -spd)
I:Leftovers (recovery)
A:Mummy (don't have an option)
M1:Will-O-Wisp (burn helps def)
M2:Infestation (residual damage)
M3:Hex (double damage + Stab)
M4:Calm Mind (helps sp.atk/sp.def)
252 def 252 HP 4 sp.atk

I really enjoy this set you use infestation, trapping them. Then use WoW which does even more residual damage and halving there attack. Use hex doing double damage (130) also stab makes a crazy powerful move. Calm mind makes it even better.

Cofagrigus should be higher on the tier list as it can checker many offensive threats i.e. Azumarill, Mega Scizor, Sword Dancer, Dragon Dancers etc.

The current moveset I use is

Will - o - wisp
Hex
Haze
Shadow

Item:Leftover

Coffy is a superb defensive wall. My only concern is that I'm not sure where he has any healing moves.

I love Infestation on this thing. No escape at all. Even on a Switch, if you use it, you just send out your counter for the other pokemon. Never gonna die in one hit without prior set up, either.
I've never really used infestation to be honest but that sounds pretty interesting. Most pokes hate to be in vs Cofagrigus for too long.

Would you recommend WoW or Tox on an infestation set? Tox seems more beneficial for most trapping. Dual status perhaps? Or is an attacking move heavily required?

Cofagrigus should be higher on the tier list as it can checker many offensive threats i.e. Azumarill, Mega Scizor, Sword Dancer, Dragon Dancers etc.

Will - o - wisp
Hex
Haze
Shadow

Coffy is a superb defensive wall. My only concern is that I'm not sure where he has any healing moves.
Cofagrigus gets Pain Split for recovery. Hex can be interesting but, if you want recovery, I'd consider losing it for PS. Haze could also be replaced but it depends what your team needs.

I've never really used infestation to be honest but that sounds pretty interesting. Most pokes hate to be in vs Cofagrigus for too long.

Would you recommend WoW or Tox on an infestation set? Tox seems more beneficial for most trapping. Dual status perhaps? Or is an attacking move heavily required?
Cofagrigus gets Pain Split for recovery. Hex can be interesting but, if you want recovery, I'd consider losing it for PS. Haze could also be replaced but it depends what your team needs.
Will-O-Wisp and hex after that then nasty plot or calm mind depends

Will-O-Wisp and hex after that then nasty plot or calm mind depends
I may try a set like...

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA
- Hex
- Infestation
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic

May seem odd to run dual status but it would make Cofagrigus far more effective in its trapping endeavours. Might be nice to have the versatility. If it could run Pain Split with Infestation, I'd be tempted to even replace Hex with it and forego any attacks.

Will let you know if I test it!

Hmmm sounds good. What exactly does pain split do? Isn't it quite counter-productive?

Will - o - wisp
Hex
Haze
Shadow

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 394-465 (123.1 - 145.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It does not stop Mega Scizor, as you can just U-Turn away, then the Swords Dancers?
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 226-266 (70.6 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 274-324 (85.6 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 204-241 (63.7 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 486-577 (151.8 - 180.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 304-359 (95 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

For instance, despite not the small difference, it is less bulkier than Deoxys-D, even though they play two different roles, just saying. Cofagrigus isn't even very powerful. I'm going to update the OP soon, but the best set at the moment (imo) is Trick Room / Nasty Plot / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [Fighting] with a Life Orb, as it stops so many things in this fast Meta and can really dent stuff.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 394-465 (123.1 - 145.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It does not stop Mega Scizor, as you can just U-Turn away, then the Swords Dancers?
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 226-266 (70.6 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 274-324 (85.6 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 204-241 (63.7 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 486-577 (151.8 - 180.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 304-359 (95 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

For instance, despite not the small difference, it is less bulkier than Deoxys-D, even though they play two different roles, just saying. Cofagrigus isn't even very powerful. I'm going to update the OP soon, but the best set at the moment (imo) is Trick Room / Nasty Plot / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [Fighting] with a Life Orb, as it stops so many things in this fast Meta and can really dent stuff.
Is this 100% accurate?

Hmmm sounds good. What exactly does pain split do? Isn't it quite counter-productive?
Pain split evens out your HP with a target's. It can be incredibly useful because the larger the opponent's HP, the more you gain from it, so walls like Chansey and Blissey get taken advantage of on the switch.

Pain split evens out your HP with a target's. It can be incredibly useful because the larger the opponent's HP, the more you gain from it, so walls like Chansey and Blissey get taken advantage of on the switch.
Ah I'd never thought of it like that. Usually I would counter the nurses with Kangaskhan's Power Up Punch, but I guess this sounds like a wise alternative since he's Uber.

Ah I'd never thought of it like that. Usually I would counter the nurses with Kangaskhan's Power Up Punch, but I guess this sounds like a wise alternative since he's Uber.
I take it you're reasonably new to 'competitive' battling? If you ever need any help or advice just go to my personal profile. I'm no professional but I'm more than happy to offer up any help I can :)

I take it you're reasonably new to 'competitive' battling? If you ever need any help or advice just go to my personal profile. I'm no professional but I'm more than happy to offer up any help I can :)
2 months in actually. Been playing Pokemon since its inception, but only got into the competitive scene during this gen with moderate success. EV training et al. are easy and quick to grasp however I'm still incapable of making a full team of 6. All my teams are comprised of threes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)