SwagPlay, evaluating potential bans (basic definition of "uncompetitive" in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need to be immune to confus to "counter" swagplay.

Here's what I've done every time I encountered a swagplay team: I continuously switched between Chansey and Mandibuzz until they got bored and leaved.

So what you're saying is that if something is not viable in OU, it should be locked?
Not at all. That is 100% not my point, and I don't quite understand where you got that from. My point is that "this otherwise completely unviable Pokemon counters the strategy/Poke in question, therefore the strategy/Poke in question is not overpowered" has never been considered a strong argument. There is literally not a single Poke or strategy in the game that can't be checked or countered in some way, but the existence of a counter has never prevented bans from happening. Running a whole team of Insomnia Pokes is a counter to Spore spamming, but it's not healthy for the metagame to have to do that, so we have the Sleep Clause.

It is a particularly weak argument when something like Numel is completely useless in OU outside of countering this strategy. I do not believe for a second that you carry a Numel on your team and have no problem doing it because it allows you to counter SwagPlay.

I'm going to bring up an old ban for this situation: Gen 5 NU Assist+Whirlwind.

The issue was that Assist Whirlwind teams created an awkward rock-paper-scissors metagame between "plain" teams, assistwind teams, and hazardless teams. Now in that thread, many people wanted to outright ban Prankster because of SwagPlay Liepard. However, this argument was shot down by the supermajority for being very luck reliant and not viable.

I'm just asking, what exactly changed since then? Klefki?

You're right. Lickilicky is the only pokemon that can learn Own Tempo, my post was completely unreasonable. I can't believe myself. I think I'm just going to have a sit down and reflect on my actiludicolo purugly AVALUGG lilligant SMEARGLE slowbro/slowking
No, you're absolutely right. Why should we use very superior abilities just so we can counter SwagPlay? I'm pretty sure the community would love having to run Own Tempo over Regenerator on Slowbro and Slowking, or Swift Swim or Rain Dish on Ludicolo, or Chlorophyll on Lilligant, or Sturdy on Avalugg, etc. We should definitely centralize the meta to counter SwagPlay.

Seriously people, putting up these ridiculous ideas (fucking Numel) is just pointless. SwagPlay just makes the game less enjoyable, competitive, and fair for the person who has to face it.

Aj, the point of it is coinflips. See gen 5 sandveil/snowcloak bans.

Also The given options aren't the answer.

A confusion clause not allowing Primary effect Confusion moves is the way to go. Flatter, Confuseray, and Swagger. This leaves Dynamic punch and Chatter alone.
Both of which became unbanned this generation. This proves that the reason they were issues relies on the constant sand/hail being up. Confusion by itself is no issue. This is the same deal as sand attack vs double team. Sand attack, you can switch out of. Confusion, you can switch out of. Double team (sand veil) was differently affecting the pokemon on the other side of the field that you had no control over. I think the issue does no revolve around banning confusion, but removing the prankster/confusion combo. This is because I can still find legitimate uses for confusion outside of trolling other players.

If a strategy is wholly luck based, there may be merit to ban it. However, confusion's ability to be used as a phazing tactic, and the ability to get rid of it quite easily, should be enough to keep confusion-based moves legal.

Now your just picking at straws.
Spikes have many viable users, and can be used. Your argument that you run no pokemon weak to rock is also pretty bad because then you're still taking 12% damage each time you switch, unless you run a whole team of rock resists.

I use swagger spam as my main silly laddering team when I'm bored and I can guarantee you this would be gone with a swagger ban. The main difference is that swagger puts a lot of things on a timer (pretty much anything that is not a physical wall or Chansey), something confuse ray and flatter will never do.
Will it stop it? Sure. Why stop there and not just remove these cancerous coinflip moves while were at this crossroad?

Not at all. That is 100% not my point, and I don't quite understand where you got that from. My point is that "this otherwise completely unviable Pokemon counters the strategy/Poke in question, therefore the strategy/Poke in question is not overpowered" has never been considered a strong argument. There is literally not a single Poke or strategy in the game that can't be checked or countered in some way, but the existence of a counter has never prevented bans from happening. Running a whole team of Insomnia Pokes is a counter to Spore spamming, but it's not healthy for the metagame to have to do that, so we have the Sleep Clause.

It is a particularly weak argument when something like Numel is completely useless in OU outside of countering this strategy. I do not believe for a second that you carry a Numel on your team and have no problem doing it because it allows you to counter SwagPlay.
Again though I do have to bring up there isn't only one counter for this.
Like I've said before Magic Coat is a really easy way that most pokemon can counter this.
Lum berry is another.
Magic bounce is another.
Own tempo is another.
It's not like with spore last gen, there a quite a few more counters that aren't niche.

Seriously people, putting up these ridiculous ideas (fucking Numel) is just pointless. SwagPlay just makes the game less enjoyable, competitive, and fair for the person who has to face it.
Let's look at who sits in an internet forum and whines about the game and then evaluate who enjoys the game.

it's no use guys

the people with actual good arguments against swagplay being banned are outnumbered by the people who are extremely angry about being beaten by a counterable strategy

swagger will be banned
Can you outline these good arguments for me? Here's what I've seen so far:

-random completely unviable NU/RU Poke checks/counters it, so it's not broken
-I've beaten it before, so it's not broken
-if you get lucky it's not a problem, so it's not broken

Those are not good arguments.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You don't need to be immune to confus to "counter" swagplay.

Here's what I've done every time I encountered a swagplay team: I continuously switched between Chansey and Mandibuzz until they got bored and leaved.
That only works against swagger+foul play 6 mons. A good swagger spam team will just use toxic on a random mon or have at least a mon to obliterate what beats the spam.
Pokemon is a game with a few luck-based aspects, why can't you get over that

Swaggerplay isn't even that common
OHKO moves have a very low chance of working. Free ohko moves.

Stein

Banned deucer.
Spikes have many viable users, and can be used. Your argument that you run no pokemon weak to rock is also pretty bad because then you're still taking 12% damage each time you switch, unless you run a whole team of rock resists.
i didnt say spikes wasnt viable i will be running klefki with it after i start breeding for good IV's

Except there are many viable Pokemon to counter it. Extreme Speed Dragonite w/ a Lum Berry, already a rather good set in its own right. Magic Bounce Mega Absol, Magic Coat, Magic Bounce, another Prankster+Taunt. All these are not difficult to implement on a team, and have far more uses than just countering SwagPlay.

Even having a Baton Passer gain the boost and then passing it to a Prankster of your own could be a nasty combination. People need to stop being worried that the status quo is going a bit off kilter and instead try and find a way to embrace and beat/utilize the new things that come into the metagame instead of all screaming for a ban to come right away.

It only works if you get lucky
Many common pokemon can beat it or work around it.
Many common moves can halt the SwagPlayer
Luck isn't a reason to ban.

And if they don't start switching, then you're just gonna have to sit yourself down and wait for the 144 turn ride to take its course. It's easy to shrug this off until you find yourself having to do it 5 times a day. Seriously, "just switch 144 times!" should never be given as a serious solution to a problem in this game.
Not only are you factoring in on the worst case scenario, a 6-man team full of sweg, but this is the nature of the game. Also, 5 times a day? Is someone forcing you to play this game every second? If you don't like it, just don't play in the tier so much/go to a different one or at the very least build a counter team if you just have to have that OU goodness. Or just forfeit if the sight of a swag play team scares you that much. If playing this game is about having fun, then points don't matter too much these days.

An ability to given pretty much exclusively given to Pokémon that are unviable or Pokémon with far better abilities like Regenerator.
  • Get two bulky pokemon with regenerator and swap back and forth when the opponent foul plays without a swag boost, laugh at their pitiful attempts to play dirty
  • Pack one pokemon with Own Tempo and laugh at their pitiful attempts to confuse you with their swag before killing them with the ATK boost they gave you, and say thanks afterwords

I never said "ban everything luck based" so that's not a problem. A small degree of luck is what we have all come to expect playing Pokémon and removing the game's luck based elements would change the game beyond recognition. SwagPlay is a "strategy" built solely around the abusing game's most egregious luck based elements for the sake of annoying an opponent, the extent to which it is luck based is incomparable in scale to things like the ability Super Luck.
you
can
switch

You've been visited by the Smogon of no fun allowed! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you post "Thanks Smogon" in this thread.

In all honesty, I don't think a strategy should be banned just because it's luck-based. This is a game of luck. If you ban this you might as well just ban anything using moves that have an X% chance of doing something.
thanks smogon

Again though I do have to bring up there isn't only one counter for this.
Like I've said before Magic Coat is a really easy way that most pokemon can counter this.
Lum berry is another.
Magic bounce is another.
Own tempo is another.
It's not like with spore last gen, there a quite a few more counters that aren't niche.
the bouncers aren't very good in actual competitive battles, lum berry is only usable once and sacrifices your item slot, own tempo makes you sac far better abilities 95% of the time, and magic coat makes you sacrifice a moveslot that could have gone to a better move.

just to counter one move. (lum and magic bounce are still pretty useful things, but own tempo?)

I would like someone to tell concrete examples on why ever use Swagger outside of SwagPlay. Not trying to shoot down anything, but out of curiosity. What can you achieve with Swagger you can't with another move/ strategy? What cons are there to put your opponent on +2 Attack?

the bouncers aren't very good in actual competitive battles, lum berry is only usable once and sacrifices your item slot, own tempo makes you sac far better abilities 95% of the time, and magic coat makes you sacrifice a moveslot that could have gone to a better move.

just to counter one move. (lum and magic bounce are still pretty useful things, but own tempo?)
Grass Types or a status absorber are needed to stop Spore, and Steels/Fairies find their use in stopping Outrage.

Should Spore and Outrage be banned?

The best argument against it is that several OU Pokemon can check or counter it almost all the time without running particularly niche sets. Taunt Thundurus-I, Phys Defensive Rotom-W, Chansey, Sylveon, etc. are all way better than any Own Tempo user.

EDIT:
Grass Types or a status absorber are needed to stop Spore, and Steels/Fairies find their use in stopping Outrage.

Should Spore and Outrage be banned?
Grass Types, Fairy Types and Steel Types are useful outside of stopping Spore / Outrage. Own Tempo literally does nothing but stop confusion. (Also Spore is semi-banned, sleep clause exists).

It only works if you get lucky
Many common pokemon can beat it or work around it.
Many common moves can halt the SwagPlayer
Luck isn't a reason to ban.
-The luck is HEAVILY swayed in favor of the SwagPlayer, just based on probability. I don't mind a little luck thrown in but a 25% chance of your Pokemon even being able to do anything at all, that's not the same as taking a chance on Focus Blast's 70% accuracy.
-What are these "many common" Pokemon? Seriously, I don't see any being suggested that aren't specifically tailored to beat this strategy, therefore potentially losing out on viability to perform their normal role.
-Luck isn't, but uncompetitiveness is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)