Pokémon Porygon2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this probably isn't the best option, but how about Magic Coat? With Magic Coat, you can really screw up some pokemon that try to Toxic you or try to use roar or something, Heatran, Skarm, etc, are completely stumped by this, and with some hazards, you can rack up some passive damage. I know Porygon2 kinda has 4MSS, so idk how it would fit in, but I feel it is a gimmicky, but viable (if those two can work together lol) move.
Because of a defensive set BoltBeam and Recover are mandatory, Magic Coat can be a great 4th slot move if you forsee having a lot of stall wars with Porygon2. You can run Toxic or Thunderwave, but I find that Magic Coat is a viable alternative, allowing it to wall many other walls that can't deal significant amounts of damage to Porygon2.

Edit: Also, why not list a SpD set in the OP? Porygon2 is capable of taking hits like a champ from Specs Latios with a SpD spread, even moreso now that Draco Meteor was nerfed.

I've been running an Offensive Trick Room set with download alongside Mega-Ampharos and it's been working very well. Amphy leads and uses Volt-Switch, and I may or may not switch into Porygon, who gets the boost to special attack, trick rooms, and then spams bolt beam for a few turns, although I may replace recover with Tri-Attack, any leftover turns Trick Room is active I spend absolutely dominating with Ampharos, who is one of the single strongest pokemon in existence under a trick room.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Because of a defensive set BoltBeam and Recover are mandatory, Magic Coat can be a great 4th slot move if you forsee having a lot of stall wars with Porygon2. You can run Toxic or Thunderwave, but I find that Magic Coat is a viable alternative, allowing it to wall many other walls that can't deal significant amounts of damage to Porygon2.

Edit: Also, why not list a SpD set in the OP? Porygon2 is capable of taking hits like a champ from Specs Latios with a SpD spread, even moreso now that Draco Meteor was nerfed.
Well that's cool, then I guess it can deserve a slot, but in order for one to make it work the main thing is team support. Statusing walls with TSpikes, entry hazards in general really help this out. Also, one thing it can also do is set up a sub on the switch (which you will find many of) and against something like Cresselia, who's main way of dealing with walls is toxic, you could effectively force them to attempt to break your sub, or switch to a pokemon that can break it, once more racking up entry hazards and such.

Also, I agree with your edit, Porygon2 can take hits like a champ from Special attackers, but I'm pretty sure the metagame is currently dominated by Physical threats like Talonflame, Azumarill and such, so I think tanking from the physical side is better IMO.

I've been pleased with Magic Coat lately. I do miss the consistency of TWave and Toxic at times, but reflection everything from those two to hazards, and all the status moves in between (Dark Void was especially amusing combined with Trace) really sets it apart. The main thing is the surprise factor; Magic Coat is a Magic Bounce that you use a turn for, which is lackluster, but people often don't expect it. Porygon2 is otherwise sleep/toxic/hazards bait. Magic Coat makes Porygon2 have some interesting utility on a team, and it has good synergy with Aegislash, as it doesn't really mind burns or Ghost moves and Aegislash is immune to Toxic and Fighting moves. Discharge can also be used in place of Tbolt on BoltBeam as a compromise for not have Twave. I kinda prefer Prankster users for spreading status anyway, so I'm going to continue with Magic Coat antics (setting hazards I don't even have on my team and putting Darkrais to to sleep and getting THEM with Bad Dreams are particularly amusing uses of Magic Coat P2).

Main issue with Magic Coat, however, is inconsistency. I know this thing is setting hazards but after the initial go, it's all about predicting what they predict. Sometimes they go for another try right away, allowing either redundancy on my part or another layer, either way, but they can also go for an attack. Luckily, most setters don't pack the punch to blast Porygon2 allowing it to recover from those hits, but they have the advantage of choice from there, as with Stealth Rock or Sticky Web, or Toxic, they can just do it again and again till they succeed. Of course, having Pokemon immune to, or capable of undoing these statuses is useful to.

All in all, I don't see Magic Coat used a lot, so it's great as a surprise move that can do a large variety of things to turn the opponents tactics against them, and can pull its weight in place of Toxic and especially Twave, as there's no shortage of Twave using Pranksters. Main thing Toxic has over Magic Bounce is that it's very good for non-steel walls that can otherwise heal off damage in Porygon2's face. It also does its one job well and depends on much fewer variables than Magic Coat does.

All in all, I don't see Magic Coat used a lot, so it's great as a surprise move that can do a large variety of things to turn the opponents tactics against them, and can pull its weight in place of Toxic and especially Twave, as there's no shortage of Twave using Pranksters. Main thing Toxic has over Magic Bounce is that it's very good for non-steel walls that can otherwise heal off damage in Porygon2's face. It also does its one job well and depends on much fewer variables than Magic Coat does.
The real problem with magic coat is that with it porygon2 gets large 4mss IMO. Recover is a given on any set so with magic coat it now has only two moves with which to do its job. So you have to give up coverage or stalling power while it allows p2 to surprise spikers and statusers. i think that t-wave, toxic and coverage are more valuable because they increase porygon2 ability to do what it should do which is wall. Though magic coat can be a good "out" if you really hate toxic or spikes on p2 it lessens both it's utility and it can be easily worked around by an opposing set up sweeper after the intial surprise which could at best flip one thing back.

Why not dual status with Magic coat? Twave/Toxic/MC/Recover? with a red card as an opener it can cripple/reflect taunt & hazards/be a huge pain for anything not packing rest/guts. Would probably pair well with Malamar since it would draw in boosters. you don't have to feel bad about fully investing in physical bulk if you're not using SpAtk

The big problem with any Eviolite-reliant pokemon this gen is that Knock Off is now the best Dark-type move around, and moreover Dark's lack of Steel resistance gave it a major boost as a coverage move.

Whatever indirect boosts Pory2 got are totally outweighed, in practice, by Knock Off being amazing.

I use a Porygon2 in combination with cobalion and it works pretty good actually. Cobalion can take the Knockoff, get a boost and most likely force a switch (if the knock off user is something like bisharp). Also it can "absorb" incoming an incoming toxic

Cobalion, Leftovers
Jolly 252HP,Speed 4Def
SR
Taunt
CC
Stone edge

Porygon2, eviolite
Bold 252HP 156Def 100SpD (I hope this is the right spread, the defenses should be equal ;D)
Toxic
Recover
Discharge
Ice beam

Damn you, Jay, that's what I was about to say. Beat me to it by two minutes (as of writing this). I love seeing Trick Room teams with Slowbro and P2 when I have Crawdaunt. It's easy easy pickings, and if they aren't physically defensive P2 (which they usually aren't, you have Slowbro), well...

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 208-247 (55.6 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A follow-up Crabhammer will DEFINITELY do them in. Hell, Aqua Jet will if he's got a little prior damage or you get lucky on the Discharge.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Damn you, Jay, that's what I was about to say. Beat me to it by two minutes (as of writing this). I love seeing Trick Room teams with Slowbro and P2 when I have Crawdaunt. It's easy easy pickings, and if they aren't physically defensive P2 (which they usually aren't, you have Slowbro), well...

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 208-247 (55.6 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A follow-up Crabhammer will DEFINITELY do them in. Hell, Aqua Jet will if he's got a little prior damage or you get lucky on the Discharge.
Despite being the new numero uno Dark move, it by no means actually stops it from being effective. Not too many people use knock off anyway (i.e none of there pokemon can learn it), plus, you could pair it up with something like Mixed Mega Lucario/Wallbreaker/Terrakion/Cobalion etc... like the gentlemen Sevon said if you are really worried about it.

Does anyone ever use porygon2's under rated ability analytic?

Porygon2 @Eviolite
252 hp / 180 sp. atk / 76 sp. def
Quiet IVS: 0 spe
-Recover
-Tri Attack
-Thunderbolt
-Ice beam

This is the only set I ever use on this beast! 30% damage increase for moving last is really a blessing when you can take hits with 1.5 def & sp. def and max hp. Ice Beam,Thunder bolt, and tri attack are there for STAB & BoltBeam. While fighting types still destroy this guy he can still hold his ground and I feel like this is a really different effective set for him! Reply what you think! ^-^

Last edited:
Knock off is currently under the effects of the "hype" factor, and I expect its usage to rise for a short time before falling and leveling out. When its hype does end, I think it will still be popular, but not on the offensive pokemon that Porygon2 will usually be fighting.

Knock off is currently under the effects of the "hype" factor, and I expect its usage to rise for a short time before falling and leveling out. When its hype does end, I think it will still be popular, but not on the offensive pokemon that Porygon2 will usually be fighting.
I agree with this. Knock Off is very threatening, for now. Knock Off is especially good on the fighting type pokemon, because I have mispredicted often and switched in my support ghost type pokemon on many occasions.

Does anyone ever use porygon2's under rated ability analytic?

Porygon2 Leftovers
252 hp / 180 sp. atk / 76 sp. def
Quiet IVS: 0 spe
-Recover
-Tri Attack
-Thunderbolt
-Ice beam

This is the only set I ever use on this beast! 30% damage increase for moving last is really a blessing when you can take hits with 1.5 def & sp. def and max hp. Ice Beam,Thunder bolt, and tri attack are there for STAB & BoltBeam. While fighting types still destroy this guy he can still hold his ground and I feel like this is a really different effective set for him! Reply what you think! ^-^
One nitpick: Leftovers? Why?

Porygon2, Based Duck the Space Duck. Hands down my favorite Pokemon in competitive. Pretty much the star of my Youtube channel and an absolute MVP on almost all the teams I make, he just induces so much rage and just shuts down the momentum on anything not named mega Lucario. I have a video on my channel where mandibuzz knocked off his eviolite and he still killed mandibuzz, heatran and crippled Aegislash before going down and letting my Wartortle clean up.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I notice you didn't mention Analytic at all. IMO, it's better than Trace. Sometimes the opponent could switch something in at just the right time and give you a horrible ability. Analytic, considering Porygon2 is very slow, so it probably wont move first, is kinda like a free Life Orb (Not as strong however). Much better than Trace, IMO. Also, I agree with Jane, Magic Coat (Although unconventional) deserves a mention.
I personally like Trace better, as it lets you check Heatran with Flash Fire, potentially sweep a team when tracing Speed Boost or Protean, and possibly trace good defensive abilities like Regenerator, Natural Cure, Wonder Guard, Magic Guard, etc. It is less consistant, but when it works, I think it's better. But you're right, Analytic is usually more reliable, and so deserves a mention.

Trace is far better given the metagame. Landorus w/Sheer Force or intimidate (form dependent), Areialate, Protean, Magic Guard, Magic bounce, Natural Cure, Poison Heal, Flash Fire, Levitate and Regenerator (Mainly Tornadus-T, Slowbro) are all abilities that can easily be taken advantage of. Unaware makes Porygon2 nigh impossible to beat without a fight move. Multiscale is pretty good to trace given Pory2's good recovery. Flame body makes attacking Porygon2 involve risk from the physical side. In all honesty, there aren't any 'negative' abilities in OU that you can trace. There are some that won't help, but none that will hurt you (bar the rare weak armor skarmory/Mandibuzz...)

Personally, either bolt beam coverage or Tri-attack is absolutely mandatory. I'd never run pory2 without bolt beam, it's insulting to his amazing versatility to give him such limiting coverage moves. Recover is obviously a necessity. However, I'd mention a gravity set, running Blizzard/Thunder/Gravity/Recover... This set is one of the most potent gravity setters in the game, allowing porygon2 to use it as well as set for others. With Spike support, pory2 becomes incredibly hard to switch into especially when he throws up gravity. This also prevents HJK versions of Mega Medicham and Hawlucha from doing anything vs him.

Pory2's most major role in today's meta (and every meta) is being the best anti-meta pokemon. He's one of the best TR setters, one of the best Gravity setters, and incredibly good at stealing an opponent's ability to prevent them from doing anything. Even conversion2 (Changes type to resist last move) is a fairly useful 'wild card' that can allow you to get past choice locked threats, gaining steel typing off of dragon moves or even heatran (flash fire + grass/bug typing is pretty noteworthy).

I personally like Trace better, as it lets you check Heatran with Flash Fire, potentially sweep a team when tracing Speed Boost or Protean, and possibly trace good defensive abilities like Regenerator, Natural Cure, Wonder Guard, Magic Guard, etc. It is less consistant, but when it works, I think it's better. But you're right, Analytic is usually more reliable, and so deserves a mention.
I second this. Analytic is a great ability for him in UU when being used as a Trick Room sweeper on a half-and-half team, but Trace is just as good if not better even in that situation. In OU, Analytic just doesn't work on him. Porygon2 cannot be used as a sweeper with the amount of Steel in the meta right now. HP Fire doesn't hit hard enough on any of them to hurt, and Thunderbolt usually won't scare them out either, even with the boost from Analytic.

Trace and Analytic are for different purposes. Porygon2 can make a great all-purpose anti-metagame tank in which case you want Trace, since it can help it in so many ways whereas analytic will only help when it decides to hit something which isn't really what that set is for. Or what the mon itself is really for, IMO. Yes it's got decent special attack, but if you really want an offensive duck, I'd imagine you'd want to just go adaptability P-Z instead of analytic P2.

Also, does analytic even activate if P2 goes first in trick room? I thought it was just whether you move second, not whether you have less speed. In which case analytic doesn't really help in trick room.

With regard to trace, considering it's basically a null ability until it copies something, you can't really go wrong with it, because even if you copy a useless ability (e.g., harvest) you're no worse off than before. On the flip side, there are so many good abilities you can copy. If you're toxic'd, maybe you can trace a gliscor and get some HP back. Or you could trace a prankster mon, or something with a type immunity ability like flash fire/water absorb, or even natural cure or hydration to cure status.

Even Charge Beam is a viable replacement for Thunderbolt when you're as tough a nut to crack as Porygon2, able to very easily slowly net SpA bonuses making him an ever growing threat and giving him the potential to outmuscle some of the tougher walls. Against Suicune for example who can't be Toxiced, Suicune has to alternate between Calm Mind, Rest and Scald while Porygon2 can just keep using super effective Analytic Charge Beam with the occasional Recover. This also means that with Trace he can beat both Unaware and Magic Guard versions of Clefable, able to Toxic Unaware versions and Charge Beam spam the Magic Guard ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)