12 Smack Down
18 Reflect
21 Stealth Rock
Guard Split
31 Ancient Power
35 Flail
40 Skill Swap
46 Trick Room
Stone Edge (Outclassed by Diamond Storm)
50 Moonblast
Diamond Storm*
60 Light Screen
70 Safeguard
* 100 Base Power, 95 Accuracy, 5-8 PP, may raise defense (50% chance)

TM Movepool

(Notable moves in Bold Italics)
TM03 Psyshock
TM04
Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM07
Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11
Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM20
Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM32
Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM37
Sandstorm
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM48
Round
TM64 Explosion
TM68
Giga Impact
TM69 Rock Polish
TM70
Flash
TM71 Stone Edge (Outclassed by Diamond Storm)
TM74 Gyro Ball
TM77 Psych Up
TM80 Rock Slide (Outclassed by Diamond Storm)
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM92 Trick Room
TM96
Nature Power
TM99 Dazzling Gleam (Outclassed by Moonblast)
TM100 Confide
Thanks to an early leak of the event, every piece of information of Diancie has been revealed, and since it is likely we will be getting access to her just around the corner, I see no reason why we should not begin discussion on how she will impact the OU Metagame. Diancie is basically Carbink with a decent offensive presence, which was one of Carbink's largest issues preventing it from being viable. She may have a solid niche in the OU metagame as she is able to take on threats such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard X, and the Lati twins with ease. However, being a Carbink clone, she suffers from a lot of the same flaws that Carbink does: she has a low HP stat, she's slow, and she has no reliable recovery. All in all, Diancie is a mixed bag, and will certainly be an interesting addition to the competitive battling scene.

Physically Defensive
#########
Move 1: Diamond Storm
Move 2: Moonblast
Move 3: Toxic
Move 4: Stealth Rock / Protect
Ability: Clear Body
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Assault Vest
#########
Move 1: Diamond Storm
Move 3: Psychic
Move 4: Explosion/Hidden Power [Fire]/[Ice]
Item: Assault Vest
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD*

*EVs prevent Timid Charizard-Y from being able to score a 2HKO with SolarBeam after Stealth Rock.

Croancie
#########
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Rest
Move 3: Sleep Talk
Move 4: Moonblast
Nature: Bold

Weakness Polish
#########
Move 1: Rock Polish
Move 2: Diamond Storm
Move 3: Moonblast
Move 4: Psychic/Hidden Power [Fire]/[Ice]
Item: Weakness Policy
Nature: Naive
EVs: 160? Att / 160? SpA / 184 Spe

Weakness Room
#########
Move 1: Trick Room
Move 3: Diamond Storm
Move 4: Hidden Power [Ground]
Item: Weakness Policy
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 220 SpA
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spd

Dual Screens
#########
Move 1: Reflect
Move 2: Light Screen
Move 3: Diamond Storm/Moonblast
Move 4: Explosion/Toxic
Item: Light Clay
Nature: Impish/Bold

Trick Room Support
#########
Move 1: Trick Room
Move 2: Diamond Storm
Move 3: Moonblast
Move 4: Stealth Rock/Explosion/Toxic
Nature: Relaxed
IVs: 0 Speed

Last edited:
Diamond Storm should be fun. From the sound of it, it has a 50% chance of raising Def? Unfortunately, it's one of Diancie's few viable physical moves and only has 8 PP... Not that mixing physical and special should be too hard for a tank with its stat distribution. Still, not something to burn excessively in hopes of a boost.

sorry, just wanted to make a correction - it has base 150 sp. def
Thanks for the catch - that was a typo. It's fixed now.

Also, I just posted 3 sets, if you want to look. Two other ones I'm considering are Specially Defensive and Trick Room, and if you guys have any ideas for further EV optimization led me know.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's movepool is surprisingly barren for an event legendary, since its coverage is: Diamond Storm, Moonblast, Power GemNOPE NOT EVEN, Gyro Ball, Psychic or Psyshock, Return, Explosion, Nature Power (Tri-Attack), or Explosion. It may seem like a lot, but Diancie can't touch any Steel-type Pokemon whatsoever. This reminds me a lot of Meloetta from last gen: an interesting concept for an event legendary, prolly ending up in UU or lower unless I'm totally missing something here. Pray for move tutors!

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
150/150 bulk really does compensate for the 50 base HP, which, as we've seen with Rotom-W, isn't THAT bad. Diamond storm is a FANTASTIC move. There's finally a reliable physical rock move to use! Not to mention, it has the same base power as stone edge. Any set without it is a waste, imho. Anyway, I feel like Diancie could be used as a bulky attacker. With two of the best moves around (Diamond Storm and Moonblast), moves of an increasingly relevant offensive typing (Psychic + Psyshock), and Gyro Ball to use its low speed to its advantage. The main problem with an offensive set is, other than the fact that 100/100 offenses are not great, is that you are basically forced to be mixed, which basically eliminates band/specs. Also, it has nice bulk and bad speed, so life orb is a bit of a waste too. We'll have to wait and see if it's viable. Also, I think a sp. d. set, similar to your first, would be viable, as its weaknesses are evenly spread out among Physical (ground + steel) + Special (water + grass).

It's movepool is surprisingly barren for an event legendary, since its coverage is: Diamond Storm, Moonblast, Power Gem, Gyro Ball, Psychic or Psyshock, Return, Explosion, Nature Power (Tri-Attack), or Explosion. It may seem like a lot, but Diancie can't touch any Steel-type Pokemon whatsoever (I guess it could set up CM Power Gem on Skarmory or something but even that's a stretch). This reminds me a lot of Meloetta from last gen: an interesting concept for an event legendary, prolly ending up in UU or lower unless I'm totally missing something here. Pray for move tutors!
It actually doesn't get Power Gem. Carbink learns that at level 46, but Diancie learns Trick Room instead, which it doesn't learn by TM, at least according to serebii.

Yeah, I know, that's bogus. It's why I don't have a specs set here.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Something to note is, that it is somewhat likely that diancie would get both geomancy and oblivion wing akin to how darkrai got spacial rend/roar of time and how victini got bolt strike/blue flare/fusion bolt/flare. It'd be interesting if it got it though.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It actually doesn't get Power Gem. Carbink learns that at level 46, but Diancie learns Trick Room instead, which it doesn't learn by TM, at least according to serebii.

Yeah, I know, that's bogus. It's why I don't have a specs set here.
whooops i was looking at them side by side. fixed!

Might have some niche use in OU, but the lack of recovery and terrible movepool really is painful. However, Fairy is a great typing, and the Diamond Storm move is an interesting concept, so I'm interested in experimenting with Diance when she's finally released. Move tutors could save this thing, though, so I look forward to seeing that.

Something to note is, that it is somewhat likely that diancie would get both geomancy and oblivion wing akin to how darkrai got spacial rend/roar of time and how victini got bolt strike/blue flare/fusion bolt/flare. It'd be interesting if it got it though.
I could see Geomancy because it's a fairy type and it just looks like it could use it...but I don't see any wings on Diancie and a Flying-type move would look out of place on a Rock/Fairy. I mean, it was strange for Darkrai to have those moves, but on Diancie, Oblivion Wing just doesn't look right.

Well the Diancie event that was accessed does not have Diancie knowing any special moves, so I doubt it will, unless a separate event comes out later on in which it gets them.

Clear Body? Damn it Game Freak, atleast give these Legendaries abilities that would make them stand out, even if it's just a bit. Clear Body is by no means a bad ability, but it seems wasted on Diancie. Even though Diancie is a mutated Carbink, it should be more...advanced, Not just stat wise.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well the Diancie event that was accessed does not have Diancie knowing any special moves, so I doubt it will, unless a separate event comes out later on in which it gets them.
They accessed the wifi wondercard which is different than the diancie that will likely be given out in theaters. Similar to how the victini where you got the liberty pass had no exclusive moves nor did the may2012 darkrai released over wifi have any special moves. Again this is all speculation, though it's something that is plausible to consider nonetheless

The first thing that came to mind when Diamond Storm was Assault Vest, as a set consisting of Assault Vest with Moonblast / Diamond Storm / Psyshock / Hidden Power [Ice] or [Fire].

I think this is more concerning actually:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Carbink: 214-254 (70.3 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Either way I stand corrected. But Diancie is capable of OHKOing Y and X after a bit of prior damage.

I think this is more concerning actually:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Carbink: 214-254 (70.3 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Either way I stand corrected. But Diancie is capable of OHKOing Y and X after a bit of prior damage.
4 Atk Carbink Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 116-138 (38.9 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk Carbink Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 304-364 (102 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)