Pokémon Diancie

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably going to be a very mediocre mon in OU due its weakness to several common Pokemon such as Manaphy, Aegislash, Scizor, and Landorus. It will have some viability in OU, however due to its ability to check Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir.
Except it doesnt check Mega Pinsir very well at all:

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carbink: 268-316 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I am so honestly disappointed right now... I mean that movepool... yeew.

The calm mind set could have been good if it had a reliable recovery move.

It could also be used like a CroCune, but its most spammable move is not boosted by calm mind.

It could be used as a bulky pivot (maybe with AV) but the lack of recovery hurts it.

Trick room can work but 100 offenses aren't very impressive in OU, especially when it is weak to very common forms of priority.

Bad defensive typing and bad speed give it many counters and even more checks.

If there's any pokemon in OU it flat-out counters, my best bet would be talonflame, but outside of that, it has little utility.

This thing will probably fall to UU, where it can run a multitutde of different support sets, like dual screens, SR, etc.

I think like hoopa this will become more of a doubles pokemon. Diance will probably be one of the few good trick room setters (Especially in VGC) because of its bulk and it isn't completely taunt bait as it has respectable offensive stats and a good stab combo. However its huge weakness to aegislash and scizor, rain teams, and earthquake really diminish its abilities. But being able to take pretty much anything mega kangaskhan and talonflame have to offer isn't too bad.

As for singles which is really what this thread is for, I don't see it succeeding that well in OU. It's a very solid talonflame counter, but it doesn't even reliably check mega pinsir

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carbink: 268-316 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Nor Mega Charizard X at +1

+1 252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Carbink: 214-252 (70.3 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Carbink (No Move) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 200-236 (67.1 - 79.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Not even choice specs Latios

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Carbink: 158-188 (51.9 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Carbink: 117-138 (38.4 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Carbink Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 188-224 (62.2 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
What a disappointment. I also do really hope move tutors fix up that move pool, as I could see it getting access to earth power and maybe pain split, but still

Especially in VGC
Aren't event pokemon usually banned in VGC?

But being able to take pretty much anything mega kangaskhan and talonflame have to offer isn't too bad.
Isn't EQ a staple move on m-kanga?

What a disappointment. I also do really hope move tutors fix up that move pool, as I could see it getting access to earth power and maybe pain split, but still

Aren't event pokemon usually banned in VGC?

Isn't EQ a staple move on m-kanga?
Yes, they are, I'd assume they will be again. My bad.

Earthquake isn't really a staple move on mega kanga in doubles.

Oh man, here comes the premier Trick Room Swagger+Flash user! ...../s

It's a shame that Diancie's currently known movepool and stat distribution have to be so lame. Sure it can check a few top threats in Mega Charizard X/Y and Pinsir, but it either needs a balloon or near full health to take them on reliably. Keeping that balloon in tact would be impossible if you had to check Talonflame in addition to these megas, not that putting a balloon on a 50 base speed pokemon is a good idea in the first place. I can see Diancie having a very niche role in OU at best, either being used as a TR lead with rocks and explosion (which still has competition with Bronzong) or just a stall pokemon with wish/heal bell support (which, IMO, is still too much support to require in the first place) or rest. It can keep rocks on the field against Mandibuzz at least, or at least heavily dent it if it tries to both defog and taunt.

Edit: Another thought: If Diancie had a little better coverage or offensive stats, maybe a weakness policy set with either TR or rock polish would be viable. It'd still have a ton of problems though.

Last edited:
It sucks.

It's on the cusp of being usable, but Game Freak just haven't given it anything it really needs. If Diamond Storm was Special it could make a good Crocune-style set, but it isn't, and it would still get wrecked by Bullet Punch and Iron Head. If it got some form of instant recovery or Regenerator, it could make a good pivot/TR setter, but it doesn't. Its offensive movepool leaves it with nothing to break through Steels, already the dominant defensive type in the metagame. Its ability is more or less useless. It can switch into Tornadus, Thundurus and Conkeldurr once or twice, but the only thing it can really wall is Talonflame.

The only place it would ever really see use is on a TR team, as TR teams generally struggle to set up rocks and Knock Off cripples pretty much all the usual setters (Reuniclus, Porygon2, the Slows, Victini, Cofa), but even then it's a "Pokémon #6" filling-in-the-gaps team member at best. It doesn't even get Magic Coat to help it set up SR/TR/screens.

Also, why make a Pokémon that outclasses another fully evolved Pokémon in literally every way? What's the point of Carbink?

Event Pokémon being banned is pretty sad for something that is pretty likely to end up in RU or godforbid, NU.

I also assume there will be a way to evolve Carbink into Diancie in the future, though I have no clue how or what exactly.

Event Pokémon being banned is pretty sad for something that is pretty likely to end up in RU or godforbid, NU.

I also assume there will be a way to evolve Carbink into Diancie in the future, though I have no clue how or what exactly.
Right because Carbink being able to use Eviolite would totally be sensible...

Diancie doesn't really feel like a Legendary to me, that's probably why. Yes, it is technically one, but its backstory doesn't feel like we are dealing with a legendary being, and Diancie looks like an evo of Carbink as well.

You guys are just looking at it and saying it's trash, we haven't even gotten a chance to use it, just theorymonning, I think we should wait until we get 100% confirmation on the movepool / stats and test it, then give our opinions, not instantly dismissing it. I mean, look at Diggersby for example, everyone brushed it off because no Huge Power, but one discovery shot it into BL. Maybe there is something we haven't yet seen, let's just hold back a little bit.

diamond storm? hmph and gamefreak said, they were not ripping off digimon XD

Back on the competitive topic, it's a shame a pokemon with diancie's offensive typing, has a move pool so barren, there is more life in Antarctica, than there is options in that simply dreadful offensive movepool of it and like shaymin before it, dainice gets an incredible move in the form of Renamons diamond storm and make sup for this gift, lacking in every other aspect. Unlike shaymin, gamefrak decided to be extra mean and make diamond storm physical, when dianice, really wants to abuse it's bets fairy type move the special moon blast, was diancie too timid/friendly to justify giving it play rough or something?

Just wanted to point something out, heatran (one of the better defensive Pokemon in the game) has a 4 times weakness to ground type moves (which are more popular than steel type moves), and 2 times weaknesses to water and fighting (also very common). Heatran's offensive presence and move pool are much better than diancie's, but its defensive stats are worse and its 4x weakness is easier to exploit. While I don't honestly believe that diancie will be an OU Pokemon, I don't understand the NU doom and gloom talk. Diancie is a fairly reliable check to most fire and flying types and sports a few nifty resistances to dark and bug type attacks. Paired with something like ferrothorn, diancie could make a solid OU core and would likely be the premier UU wall if it does in fact drop (which I fully expect it to do).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hm. Diancie looks interesting, at least. Not too good by any means, but interesting nonetheless.

Also, keep in mind that legendaries have had a pretty steady tendency to get more formes in third version/sequel games. Deoxys, Rotom, Shaymin, the Kami Trio, Kyurem, Keldeo... it doesn't take much imagination to put Diancie on that list as well, especially considering the low number of legendaries in Gen. VI. Even if it fails to impress after its initial release, it is likely to get another chance in the future.

Good offensive typing but no offensive move pool.

Decent support/defensive movepool but bad defensive typing and no recovery.

Exactly what are you supposed to do with this thing?

(Hint: the answer is nothing)

Game Freak are creationists!
They provided an unnecessary alternative to a pokemon that didn't need one, and everyone is dabbling in futility trying to make this laughably bad alternative make sense. Sounds more like evolution to me!

(In the future can we leave ignorant and inflammatory remarks out of a ou discussion thread, kthx)

Last edited:
It's terribly disappointing to be honest. Those offensive STABs and defences are great, but the attacking movepool is more barren than the Empty Quarter, and it has a terrible defensive typing. I would have had more hopes for it had it learned, I don't know, Earth Power in Z, but I really don't see it as being viable at all.

Plus, the event itself is pretty underwhelming too. I mean you just sit through dialogue and get handed a Diancie. What happened to all the buildup to catching it yourself, like Victini or Shaymin?

Here's hoping to some movie event distribution with the box legend's signature moves. Geomancy Diancie could be at least be interesting, even if niche.

Geomancy Diancie would be interesting. Without investment, it's not outspeeding anything even at +2, but with investment, it could outspeed base 130s with a neutral nature and almost match base 150s with a Timid nature. Of course, with its 50 base HP and 100 base offensive stats not backed up by any boosting item, it wouldn't have an easy time justifying Speed investment... Of course, with its defenses and the Geomancy boost, it could just go max HP/SpA and plan to tank whatever hits while smashing things. Still, especially with Diancie's bad coverage it seems like it'd have such a risk of getting stopped and forced out one way or another, and Geomancy is a one-shot strategy. As powerful as the move is, it's risky enough that I don't think it'd instantly make Diancie unbelievably broken like with Xerneas. Or anything offensive with the move, really. Just imagine Geomancy Latios, or even Heatran.

Of course, using Geomancy and Oblivion Wing together would be a pretty fun combination if it gets both, since it'd have the power to hit hard and the defenses to use the stolen HP, and its stat distribution means it'd get a lot more out of the 75% HP drain than others would. Oblivion Wing could be pretty fun in general for that reason, as even aside from the effect, it's a valuable 80 BP coverage move.

Geomancy/Oblivion Wing Diancie could be pretty damn cool as a lategame sweeper, but I'm not inclined to expect those unless there's an official announcement.

All we can be certain of is what's ingame, and what's ingame is kinda shit. It's a slightly better Carbink; woo-fucking-hoo.

This thing screams Weakness Policy to me. Usable offenses at +2 with good STABs and great defenses with enough common weaknesses to make it a good item choice.

Diancie@Weakness Policy
Clear Body
Brave/Quiet/Sassy/Relaxed 252 HP / etc.
~ Diamond Storm
~ Moon Blast
~ Rest/Trick Room
~ Sleep Talk/Gyro Ball/HP Fire/Explosion

With Diamond Storm boosting your great defense rather frequently, Weakness Policy coupled with Resttalk gives you good offensive prowess and staying power, able to recover health and status and still be offensively threatening, and mixed at that. Weakness Policy will boost both attack stats and you'll have STAB on both so it's kind of a hidden blessing considering you'll be harder to wall. PP issues will be the biggest threat as you'll be easily Pressure stalled. Otherwise Trick Room makes you faster than pretty much everything. It should be reasonable for Diancie to get a kill with a +2 STAB and then take something else out with Explosion for good measure. +2 Explosion is going to hurt any non-Ghost type significantly and an appropriate move considering Trick Room's limited duration.

I don't expect it to be an OU staple at all, even if Rock typing is increasing in value. But there are also few Trick Room setters that are not Psychic or Ghost (if any?) so it certainly has a niche at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)