nature: Impish
evs: 252 hp/252 defense/4 attack

Moves
========

• Stealth Rock- indispensable hazard
  • Slack Off is used for instant recovery
  • Whirlwind for phazing set-up sweepers or just shuffling for hazards damage
  • Toxic for annoying the shit out of anything not immune to it
  • Earthquake so it's not completely taunt bait and can hit mgar, do some chip damage, etc.

Set Details
========

• Leftovers for longevity
  • Max Hp max defense impish to tank physical hits like a boss
  • Can check pretty much any physical booster
  • Annoying as fuck

Usage Tips
========

• Don't switch it into special attackers (duh) hippo ain't tanking no spacial rend
  • Ho-oh burns suck balls :( just slack off more in that case
  • Zeke can carry Dmeteor, so beware of that
  • Slack off frequently, Hippo will still be 3HKO'ed (almost 2hko'ed) by strong physical attacks
  • Surprise toxics suck ass balls

Team Options
========

• clerics (chansey, blissey, xerneas)Xerneas also shuts down zekrom really well alingside hippo
  • strong special sponges (again chansey, aegislash)
  • ogre check (palkia, av amoong, av slowking)
  • grass types are cool
  • ice resist, ie. ogre, etc
  • bulky waters pair well with hippo, as it checks krom 4 them
  • Refresh Cm Waterceus likes hippo checking krom
  • Spdef ogre acts as a sort of status absorber
  • Frrro can provide a nice water resist and a hazards Jcore

Other Options
########

I guess you could use CB Hippo, which hits surprisingly hard lol. Beware of burns if you do though .-. Ice Fang could be used to hit Gliscor, Stone Edge hits ho-oh and yawn could be used. Hippo has a dearth of viable options

Checks & Counters
########

• status, esp toxic
  • water types (ogre, palkia, etc)
  • taunt users (yveltal)
  • grass types (grassceus, amoongus, ferro, shaymin-sky)
  • magic bounce users or magi gaurd user
  • basically any special attacker lol

Last edited:
beware of switching into Ho-oh, burns suck balls :(
I'd not put it this way, Hippo is usually on your team do exactly that. Remember to put emphasis on your low speed which makes you very prone to critical hits and it also requires you to Slack Off often i.e monitor your health extremely carefully to actually handle stuff. For team options a status absorber is a very nice partner. You have mentioned a cleric but sometimes you can't afford to use that. Sdef Ogre has proven to form a quite nice combo with Hippo, Ho-oh can absorb burns too. Refresh CM Waterceus appreciates Hippo's ability to switch into scarf Zekrom, and kinda absorbs status/semi checks Kyogre. Alse mention how good chip damage from sand can be- the turns it works. I will be testing Hippo+Ferro- the old hazard partnership that was common in gen5- again in gen6. My idea is to pressure the opposing defoger by setting hazards continually with your mons that have ways to recover health. I'll get back to you with more information about Ferrothorns viability as a partner after that.

Is hippo really viable in gen 6?.. Hippo's main advantage over Lando-T or Groudon is that its supposed to last a while, but status is everywhere in this meta and its pretty hard to switch around or use clerics. Also, Sacred Fire exists.

He also suffers from 4mss pretty badly, since you want to fit slack off and EQ, and if you're using hippo you usually can't afford another SR user, so thats 3 slots used already. And finally you pretty much have to run whirlwind or else you cant check SD mons.

Another thing to note is that un-mega evolved Gengar can mess with this thing hard

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slack Off is a pretty huge advantage over Lando-T/Groudon. I've used Hippo and its still viable this gen IMO, though you do need to stress its weaknesses.

Yeah, this thing is very viable and is an excellent answer to Swords Dance Arceus and Choiced Zekrom, both of which are common in this metagame. RE: Hippowdon's 4MSS: if Hippowdon carries Toxic, it is almost guaranteed to cripple something as Pokemon that like to switch into it are not typically immune to poison (barring Skarmory and Gliscor). As Donkey said, it is very difficult fitting another Stealth Rock user on a team that already has Hippowdon but if you can find one (such as a support Arceus form), Hippowdon will be able to fit Toxic. I feel that Earthquake/Whirlwind/Slack off are the three moves that deserve to stand alone and Stealth Rock should be slashed with Toxic, but I'll let other QC comment on that.

I'm OK with the Choice Band mention in Other Options since Hippowdon is so limited in what it can do, but stress how its relatively low attack stat by Ubers standards and only STAB move having so many immunities (Lugia/Yveltal/works against it. Sadly, it's not strong enough to break dedicated physical walls, and remove the "actually decent" line because it's really not decent. Also mention Ice Fang in OO to nail Lando and Gliscor. It's an awful option 99.999% of the time on a mon already strapped for moveslots but it's the only move that hits Gliscor due to its immunity to Toxic. Yawn and Stone Edge can also get mentions, though Yawn isn't as good as it was last generation due to Defog often preventing passive damage from hazards as your opponent plays around it. Yawn wasn't a thing on Hippo last generation either, it's just another move you can briefly mention if you want. Basically, the only thing that needs to be emphasized in the OO section is the dearth of viable options Hippowdon has.

Make sure Shaymin-S is mentioned in the grass types section, it threatens Hippowdon more than Ferrothorn does.

Last edited:
Dearth is an antonym of plethora :). Change that wording (since Hippo has so few moves it can run effectively in ubers).

Good job overall.

QC: 1/3

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Towards the end of the overview I would include a brief mention of the competition it faces for its role as a physically bulky Ground type (Groudon and Landorus-T mostly) and emphasize Slack Off really setting it apart.

I think Xerneas/Arceus-Fairy deserve mention as pairing well to shut down Zekrom, while Xerneas can support it as a cleric and Hippo switches into things like Ho-Oh and Scizor for them. I know Xerneas was already mentioned but the synergy goes beyond providing a cleric.

Hippo really doesn't have a lot of other options, so get this written up. Good job!

QC: 2/3

Towards the end of the overview I would include a brief mention of the competition it faces for its role as a physically bulky Ground type (Groudon and Landorus-T mostly) and emphasize Slack Off really setting it apart.

I think Xerneas/Arceus-Fairy deserve mention as pairing well to shut down Zekrom, while Xerneas can support it as a cleric and Hippo switches into things like Ho-Oh and Scizor for them. I know Xerneas was already mentioned but the synergy goes beyond providing a cleric.

Hippo really doesn't have a lot of other options, so get this written up. Good job!

QC: 2/3
If you add this make sure you stress the ridiculous Mega Gengar weakness. (a third of your team will be easy pickings, without resorting to dbond)

Move the SR / Toxic to move 4 because they are the least important and always put a space between slashes in analyses. I also prefer Toxic to have first slash since Hippo is such a shitty SR setter it's not really worth it unless you are desperate, thoughts?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you add this make sure you stress the ridiculous Mega Gengar weakness. (a third of your team will be easy pickings, without resorting to dbond)

Move the SR / Toxic to move 4 because they are the least important and always put a space between slashes in analyses. I also prefer Toxic to have first slash since Hippo is such a shitty SR setter it's not really worth it unless you are desperate, thoughts?
How is Hippo Mega Gengar bait? He OHKOes Mega Gengar with EQ while taking ~55% from Shadow Ball. If Mega Gengar wants to KO a healthy Hippo, it has to resort to Destiny Bond, but Hippo could use WW.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I guess whilst it's not m-gengar bait it doesn't like facing it (I've faced players who are good enough that they predict when it's gonna EQ and don't megavolve on that turn but still hit with shadow ball - and then you're screwed. See: Last week's Ubers weekend tour final for one example)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I guess whilst it's not m-gengar bait it doesn't like facing it (I've faced players who are good enough that they predict when it's gonna EQ and don't megavolve on that turn but still hit with shadow ball - and then you're screwed. See: Last week's Ubers weekend tour final for one example)
If it's not MEvolved you can simply switch out...

Not really, Alexwolf is correct. Hippo isn't weak to mGar, it can just switch out if Gengar isn't in mega forme. If Gengar is mega, it can't switch in cause EQ OHKOs.

Double check your formatting like the spaces between /s. Also, it still annoys me how much this thing is Defog fodder but I guess you can't fix that without putting Toxic over EQ and being Mega Gar fodder is that worst.

Guys what do you think of Toxic / whirlwind instead of SR / Toxic? What do you lose to without whirlwind when you have toxic and recovery?

Was writing Hippowdon on word and the file dissapeared, i dotnhave time to write it again so sorry can i drop this analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)