Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Seismic Toss preferred on Deoxys Defense rather than Night Shade? There are more Ghost types than Normal types in the tier, and Night Shade doesn't trigger Rocky Helmet/Iron Barbs/Rough Skin.
It's usually up to personal preference. It's not that one is better than the other, it's just that if you feel like you need to hit Normal-types instead of Ghost-types, you use S-toss and vice versa.

It doesn't double the BS, it doubles the actual stat. At max speed, Torkoal has 152 speed, and that doubled is 304. Blaziken, without any speedboosts, only has a maximum 284 speed. So, +2 Torkoal always outspeeds +0 Blaziken, assuming the same investment.
Ah alright. So if 20 base speed means 152 actual speed... it doesn't mean that 40 base speed will be the double of 152?

I'm asking because i thought it worked like this :p

I hope someone can give me a short explanation on how base stat to actual stat works :)

Just realized after looking at that thing...is there a reason Soul Dew isn't listed among the banned items? I know it's banned, it just surprises me.
It's because it isn't released so there's no reason to put it there.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ah alright. So if 20 base speed means 152 actual speed... it doesn't mean that 40 base speed will be the double of 152?

I'm asking because i thought it worked like this :p

I hope someone can give me a short explanation on how base stat to actual stat works :)
Yes.

The way to calculate them is a bit confusing if you aren't into math. But here's the formula.

You can always put in your pokemon's info here to see how IV's, EV's, etc will change a pokemon's stats, if you're not into math.

Last edited:
Yes.

The way to calculate them is a bit confusing if you aren't into math. But here's the formula.

You can always put in your pokemon's info here to see how IV's, EV's, etc will change a pokemon's stats, if you're not into math.
Why is the formula in the quote box (the correct one) different from the one in your post (the incorrect one) without me making any edits? Because that is the source of error, an incorrect formula.

Side note: A quick way to determine what a pokemon would outspeed at +1 is base*1.5+24.25. Anything with a base under that is outsped, anything with a base over that outspeeds you. For +2 it is base*2+49.5.

Hypothetical situation: If Dusclops Skill Swapped a Contrary Malamar and Skill Swapped again to Victini, and Victini uses V-create, after my Speed is boosted, would my Defense and Special Defense be increased also? The Smogon description for V-create says, "Lowers the user's Speed by one stage 100% of the time, and lowers Defense by one stage if and only if Speed is attempted to be lowered by the effect of this move". The whole "attempted" part is confusing me.

How does huge/pure power work? like if my azumarill's base atk is 80, is it 160 now?
1. Azumaril's base attack is 50, not 80.
2. No, it would have the same Attack as a base 149.5 if you were using the actual base attack. If you had a Huge Power mon with base 80 attack, it would be the same as a mon with 209.5 base attack. This is because it doubles the Attack stat, not the base Attack.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why is the formula in the quote box (the correct one) different from the one in your post (the incorrect one) without me making any edits? Because that is the source of error, an incorrect formula.

Side note: A quick way to determine what a pokemon would outspeed at +1 is base*1.5+24.25. Anything with a base under that is outsped, anything with a base over that outspeeds you. For +2 it is base*2+49.5.
I edited my post, realizing I posted the first and second generation instead of the third gen on. You must've been on the page before I made the edit, and replied afterwards. I redid the calc, and it turned out fine.

Why do people use assault vest T-Growth leech seed partly makes it the wall it is right?
If used as a wall, you're right, Leech seed should be used (and assault vest shouldn't). But the most common set for tangrowth is a bulky pivot, that can take hits from both sides and do damage with its great coverage. On that set, it has Regenerator, so Leech seed won't be missed that much.
How does huge/pure power work? like if my azumarill's base atk is 80, is it 160 now?
Azumarill has a base attack of 50, not 80. The maximum attack for a pokemon with 50 base attack is 218, so Huge/Pure power doubles the stat itself, not the base stat. For Azumarill, it comes out to 436, which is comparable to adamant/etc. pokemon with a 150 Base Stat.
Also, next time, try to post both questions in the same post :)

So in UMvC3 its pretty much accepted that tiers are run by teams rather than individual characters. My friend and I got into a discussion how the same can apply to Pokemon (ie tier listings for offensive rain composition and hyper offense rather than just Politoed or Kingdra). Is there a thread that explores this anywhere?

I was watching a video and this guy (hoodlumscrafty) used a Rest Shed Skin Scrafty is this a viable set or...
My initial reaction is that drain punch is fine for his recovery, whereas rest uses up a slot he could use for coverage. And of course shed skin helps with status anyway.

New question: How exactly do I use a PokeToy, PokeDoll, or other Escape items? All I know is that holding them has no effect.

New question: How exactly do I use a PokeToy, PokeDoll, or other Escape items? All I know is that holding them has no effect.
You go to your bag in a wild pokemon battle and use them directly, and it lets you immediately run.

Or you can get a smoke ball and have your pokemon hold that, in which case all you have to do is click the run button and it will automatically let you run. (and works infinite times, unlike poke dolls)

Hi... can someone just give me a list of SPD walls that I can use in OU? I just tested my team out and it's weak against water.

And don't say Mega Venusaur. I already have a Mega Charizard on my team and I plan on making this team on my cartridge.

Hi... can someone just give me a list of SPD walls that I can use in OU? I just tested my team out and it's weak against water.

And don't say Mega Venusaur. I already have a Mega Charizard on my team and I plan on making this team on my cartridge.
Specially defensive that resist water? You've got:

Ferrothorn
Specially Defensive Celebi, if you're lucky enough to get a good nature from Bank
Jellicent
Blastoise (doesn't need to be Mega to be semi-viable as a special wall)
Tentacruel
Milotic
Storm Drain Gastrodon
Vaporeon

If you're willing to go less standard, you've also got:
Storm Drain Cradily
Lanturn

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

In addition to the above post, I'd recommend using Chansey, Jellicent or Celebi. They're the 3 most reliable ones that have solid recovery, unlike Ferrothorn and Tentacruel. Vaporeon is also pretty solid if you can't get your hands on Wish Chansey.

Yes.

Alright, thanks :)

I always thought that a base stat of 40 meant the same as a double base stat of 20, thanks for the explanation :p

One last question though, who came up with base stats? Is it something gamefreak created, or has it been created by the community?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Alright, thanks :)

I always thought that a base stat of 40 meant the same as a double base stat of 20, thanks for the explanation :p

One last question though, who came up with base stats? Is it something gamefreak created, or has it been created by the community?
game freak

for example, the dark green section of the graph in the super training page on the bottom screen indicates their base stats. You can also get the exact numbers if you can hack into the game. Since the 3DS hasn't been completely hacked yet, pretty much all of the gen 6 pokemon's base stats came from plugging numbers into that formula

EDIT:
If you use thunder wave on an electric pokemon with volt absorb, will it trigger volt absorb or the type (paralysis) immunity?

EDIT:
If you use thunder wave on an electric pokemon with volt absorb, will it trigger volt absorb or the type (paralysis) immunity?
Curious about this myself, but I would imagine it would work more or less like Lightning Rod does on Rhydon. I'm not sure myself how THAT works but Bulbapedia claims that at least in that case Rhydon's Electric immunity overrides Lightning Rod's "immune+boost" effect.

I was wondering when Latios-Mega and Latias-Mega become available on the OU ladder. Is it after a formal announcement that they exist from the official website Pokemon X/Y, or when they are released, or after 100% confirmation on what their stats are? Or maybe sometime prior to them being "confirmed" by Nintendo/Gamefreak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)