XY UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to nominate that we lower malamar to D rank malamar is a fairly bad pokemon with only a small niche in this meta that is very predictable and easy to stop. Not only this but malamar is incredibly slow has no ressistances and a horrid 4x weakness to bug which makes it D rank at best or even a removal from the list entirely.

I can understand all the ranking shifts except for Magnezone. The tier shifts could not be any nicer for it.

With Salamence and Cloyster introduced, Magnet Pull Magnezone finally surves a purpose. Both sweepers do not enjoy steels being around and Magnet Pull Magnezone is a perfect steel trapper to remove or at least severely weaken Mega Aggron, Doublade, Klefki and even Metagross with slight investment in speed. The ability to support top threats in the metagame should not be ignored.

On defensive aspect, Magnezone enjoys Keldeo leaving as it is a water type that Magnezone can't beat. Magnezone also acts as an emergency check to Cloyster as well only LO Hydro Pump has a 6.3% chance to OHKO 252/0 Magnezone. Without Hydro Pump, LO Razor Shell barely does up to 86% to Magnezone at +2. Magnezone has only been improved defensively.

On offensive aspect, Starmie and Tentacruel are things that Magnezone cn switch in (except LO H-pump from Starmie, unfortunately) and scare them out with Volt Switch while gaining momenntum. Cloyster, Klefki and Forretress are things that are nearly hard countered by Magnezone with Forretress and Klefki even being potentially trapped by Magnet Pull Magnezone. Donphan is outsped and OHKOed by Specs Flash Cannon after slight damage Analytic or not. Trevenant is outsped and 2HKOed by Flash Cannon though leech seed and sitrus can be annoying. To add in that, Chansey, the only hard counter to Magnezone has been gone.

Magnezone is benefited at lot from the tier changes. It should be S Rank.

I can understand all the ranking shifts except for Magnezone. The tier shifts could not be any nicer for it.

With Salamence and Cloyster introduced, Magnet Pull Magnezone finally surves a purpose. Both sweepers do not enjoy steels being around and Magnet Pull Magnezone is a perfect steel trapper to remove or at least severely weaken Mega Aggron, Doublade, Klefki and even Metagross with slight investment in speed. The ability to support top threats in the metagame should not be ignored.

On defensive aspect, Magnezone enjoys Keldeo leaving as it is a water type that Magnezone can't beat. Magnezone also acts as an emergency check to Cloyster as well only LO Hydro Pump has a 6.3% chance to OHKO 252/0 Magnezone. Without Hydro Pump, LO Razor Shell barely does up to 86% to Magnezone at +2. Magnezone has only been improved defensively.

On offensive aspect, Starmie and Tentacruel are things that Magnezone cn switch in (except LO H-pump from Starmie, unfortunately) and scare them out with Volt Switch while gaining momenntum. Cloyster, Klefki and Forretress are things that are nearly hard countered by Magnezone with Forretress and Klefki even being potentially trapped by Magnet Pull Magnezone. Donphan is outsped and OHKOed by Specs Flash Cannon after slight damage Analytic or not. Trevenant is outsped and 2HKOed by Flash Cannon though leech seed and sitrus can be annoying. To add in that, Chansey, the only hard counter to Magnezone has been gone.

Magnezone is benefited at lot from the tier changes. It should be S Rank.
Seconding this, soo many Donphan's switched on Zone, but if their Sturdy is broken, Flash Cannon OHKOes, while T-bolt OHKOs Forretress. Magnezone is a solid counter for Cloyster if it's not already on +2 (it uses Shell Smash the turn you switch on it).

I disagree about the HP Fire argument, there is still no purpose, as Mega Aggron takes more with Thunderbolt, and T-Bolt OHKO Klefki and Forretress regardless, while it has 62.5% chance to OHKO Metagross on the Switch-in and 25% chance to OHKO Doublade in 1v1 situatoion, but HP Fire doesn't do nearly enough to stay in on EQ against Metagross.

Analytic is still the better choice.

But now Magnezone got rid of the only real wall that can take on Zone, Chansey, and new walls such as Sableye, Kelfki, Donphan, Forretress, and Tentacruel all get pooped on by Specs Analytic Magnezone.

Magnezone also is one of the few wallbreakers that can get past Florges + Slowbro cores, because T-Bolt is a ~98% chance to 2HKO Florges with SR up and a guaranteed OHKO on Slowbro.

Furtheremore Magnezone checks Starmie and other powerful mons, I mean even 252/252+ Jirachi is taking a crap ton from T-Bolt.

Magnezone is on ALL of my UU teams, and it's so fucking amazing. Definitely S rank.

I disagree about the HP Fire argument, there is still no purpose, as Mega Aggron takes more with Thunderbolt, and T-Bolt OHKO Klefki and Forretress regardless, while it has 62.5% chance to OHKO Metagross on the Switch-in and 25% chance to OHKO Doublade in 1v1 situatoion, but HP Fire doesn't do nearly enough to stay in on EQ against Metagross.

Analytic is still the better choice
Where did you even find hp fire...

I disagree that Analytic is a clearly better choice. In fact, Analytic and Magnet Pull aren't even comparble. Analytic is a wallbreaker that nothing can switch in. Magnet pull, however, is more a team supporter that helps Cloyster, Salamence and Haxorus to get pass their steel type checks like Klefi, Mega Aggron, Doublade etc while still pressurizes the troublesome things that it can trap like Slowbro with a powerful Volt Switch. I would not say that Analytic is a better choice when they fit different team's need.

I totally agree with other parts of your post though and Magnezone should be S Rank.

Also I wonder about Haxorus in S rank, with Mence and Hydreigon Haxorus is clearly outdone and overshadowed.

I nominate Haxorus to drop down to A/A+ rank.

I would prefer A rank, as even A+ is too much, Haxorus is insanely powerful, but it gets outsped easily, LO hydreigon outspeeds it, and Scarf Hydreigon outspeeds it even if it is +1. Florges, Slowbro, Escalivier, Krookodile, sometimes Chesnaught, and a handful of other pokemons counter it.

While the simplest pokemons can check it. But finding a check is relatively easy.

I would also nominate for Klefki to drop down to A rank.

I wonder why this thing is in S rank, SwagPlay is completely luck-dependent, and is not an argument for S rank, while Prankster screens seem amazing at first, combined with the mediocre defenses and average typing, it can be kill really easy, as UU is one of the biggest HO in the metagame, almost anything above average can 2HKO this thing through screens, T-wave support is nice in such a HO metagame, but not enough to justify S rank.

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 205-243 (64.4 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 170-201 (53.4 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 220-259 (69.1 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 213-252 (66.9 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 187-222 (58.8 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 208-247 (65.4 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 189-223 (59.4 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 196-232 (61.6 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

While the 252/252+ Def Klefki does survive 2 hits from massive powerhouses from non-SE attacks such as Crawdaunt, it does end up set-up fodder to anything with priority (Ex. Crawdaunt doesn't mind getting screens up andgetting Paralyzed if it's gets up to +4 and spam Aqua Jet), immune to T-Wave, or doesn't mind T-Wave in the first place, to top that, Klefki has no means of recovery other than Rest or Sitrus Berry + Recycle, both which bring pressure on Klefki's movepool, as one of the best things Klefki has that I have yet to mention, is prankster Spikes.

Definitely not S rank.

Where did you even find hp fire...

I disagree that Analytic is a clearly better choice. In fact, Analytic and Magnet Pull aren't even comparble. Analytic is a wallbreaker that nothing can switch in. Magnet pull, however, is more a team supporter that helps Cloyster, Salamence and Haxorus to get pass their steel type checks like Klefi, Mega Aggron, Doublade etc while still pressurizes the troublesome things that it can trap like Slowbro with a powerful Volt Switch. I would not say that Analytic is a better choice when they fit different team's need.

I totally agree with other parts of your post though and Magnezone should be S Rank.
That's my bad, I assumed Magnet pull + HP Fire.

But now as I see your point, yes it does depend on the team, but it's just that Magnezone breaks a huge portion, if not all, the walls of UU. Though Magnet Pull does very good in weakning steel- types for Cloyster and Dragons in general to find space for a sweep. I do agree.

I wonder why this thing is in S rank, SwagPlay is completely luck-dependent, and is not an argument for S rank, while Prankster screens seem amazing at first, combined with the mediocre defenses and average typing, it can be kill really easy, as UU is one of the biggest HO in the metagame, almost anything above average can 2HKO this thing through screens, T-wave support is nice in such a HO metagame, but not enough to justify S rank.
I think klefki in s rank is silly as well but steel/fairy is statistically proven to be the best defensive typing in the game

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Even though Fairy/Steel is numerically speaking the best defensive type, its weaknesses to fire and ground and lack of electric, steel, ghost and water resistances and subpar bulk means Klefki has a large number of negative matchups in UU, where these offensive types are very common.

It doesn't matter how predictable Cloyster is, if you don't have a bulky water or a steel type you just flat out get swept by it. It definitely deserves it's S rank.
In the current UU meta almost every team carries atleast one steel or bulky Water type. Also the tier is full of Fighting types that can take care of Cloyster without problem, Unburden users can prove really hard to take care of (Espessially Hitmonlee). Also every Scarfed pokemon with 97+ speed can revenge kill it (Victini, Mienshao, Mismagius, Hydreigon) since it is forced to run an adamant nature to ensure multiple OHKOs on physical sets and Modest to pose a treath on special sets.
Cofagrigus can take atleast one attack and follow up by burning Cloyster, rendering it useless. Klefki and Liepard can also priority T-wave it.

Also I would like to nominate Hitmonlee for B-, as with Endure + reversal you have one of the strongest moves in the game, and you can add Weakness policy/Liechi berry for even greater power and to activate Unburden (I prefere it over normal gem+fake out).

Calc compaired to physical heavy hitters in UU atm.
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Custom: 339-399 (99.4 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Custom: 295-348 (86.5 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Custom: 270-318 (79.1 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Custom: 269-317 (78.8 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Custom: 294-348 (86.2 - 102%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Custom: 249-294 (73 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Heracross Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Custom: 273-321 (80 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Calcs on different walls.
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 168-198 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 232-273 (64.4 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 195-231 (56.6 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Metagross: 204-240 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon: 626-738 (158.8 - 187.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 194-228 (50.5 - 59.3%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 240-283 (74 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 310-366 (72.7 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tentacruel: 240-283 (65.9 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 114-135 (28.9 - 34.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Remember, this is only with reversal, at +2 (weakness policy) Almost all walls in the game collapse, even the great wall Slowbro finds itself being 2HKOed by reversal. With stone edge, sucker punch, Knock off, blaze kick and Poison jab as good coverage options, it cant be easy to stop. The only solid stop is priority.

Last edited:
with chansey gone, i'd like to nominate porygon-z for A or even A+ rank. this might sound crazy, but double booster porygon-z is, in my opinion, a sweeper as dangerous as salamence/cloyster, if not more.

Porygon-Z @ Lum Berry
Ability: Download
EVs: 156 Spd / 252 SAtk / 100 HP
IVs: 0 Atk
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Shadow Ball
- Tri Attack

this set is just ridiculous. with 156 speed and after an agillity, nothing can outspeed porygon-z, not even scarfers (except scarf tornadus-t lol), and if you have correct timing, you can get a free special attack download boost, and you can add a nasty plot to that, which means stall teams can hope to stop this beast either.

and it's actually relatively bulky. these are the best UU special walls (every single one is at least 2HKOed after a nasty plot), and since they cannot status him because of lum berry, they're forced to attack, but:

umbreon foul play -> 17%-20%
0 spa florges moonblast -> 42%-50%
0 spa mew psyshock -> 34%-41%
0 spa milotic scald -> 32%-38%
0 atk mega aggron's heavy slam -> 69%-81%

and as you cannot outspeed it at +2, you try to resort to priority, but:

252+ atk cb crawdaunt adaptability aqua jet -> 44%-54%
252 atk mega absol's sucker punch -> 58%-68,8%

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Tentative rankings are up with the new tier additions. Keep in mind these are all based on theory, so don't shoot me.

Next time could you please tell us what the changes were in your post?

It makes things much easier to keep track of in my opinion. I know there were a lot of changes to UU from the tier shift this time around so it would have been a hassle for you to make a neat post with all the changes you made but next time when the shift isn't as radical could you please tell us what the changes are in your update posts?

Electivire is seriously underestimated here. Nothing in UU can compare to his SE coverage when using Cross Chop/Earthquake/Ice Punch/Wild Charge. Also, his mere presence actually dissuades the use of electric type moves which is a huge boon to a team with multiple water types.

So Salamence needs to go back up to S-Rank, in my opinion. As long as you have something that can beat Florges, which isn't asking for a lot, then Scarf MoxieMence destroys a lot of things. I've been running DragMag with a Scarf MoxieMence + DD LO Haxorus, and things just die. The Magnets are incredibly good at pivoting due to their respective bulk. Magnezone is good at weakening fairies and pivoting into Steels (Specs Analytic), and Eviolite Magneton traps and kills Klefki, Florges, and Jirachi (set dependent). In fact, Florges takes about 40% from ScarfMence's Earthquake, so with a small amount of prior damage, Florges can't even wall Mence with proper prediction. I find myself playing whole games revolving around either softening up teams with Haxorus, or pivoting or VoltTurning into Mence just to destroy things. Seriously, use this pokemon. It can also still mess up teams with Moxie DD, and it actually gets a fair number of DD opportunities due to the number of switches that it forces. Despite this, I feel that Haxorus is a slightly better DD'er due to Poison Jab. I'm also interested in testing out PhatMence, as it's bulk with Intimidate is actually really good and its typing lets it take on most Fighting types, as well as Crawdaunt. Crawdaunt's Knock Off only does 40.8 - 48.2% to Salamence at -1, meaning it cannot possibly 2HKO (I used a 252/252+ set, but that's probably not optimal). However, I haven't tried it, so it could suck. Still, Salamence for S.

EDIT: Also, Salamence is all I'm seeing on the ladder. Two of my last six or so games have literally come down to ScarfMence speed ties. :(

Last edited:

Hawlucha is an absolute monster. I've been playing around with it and it can just go to town after a Swords Dance. I believe the best set is Fling, but a lot of people are running Sky Attack, which is nice, but Fling has proven better for me, so. It deserves S Rank, however, it is very frail, and I don't think Roost is the best option in the world, it won't have very many opportunities to Roost reliably. I think it can use Baton Pass > Roost for a quick getaway, but that is just personal preference. Red Card Hawlucha is also very good, I haven't had the most experience with this set so I won't bring input on this set, but from what I've read it can be very effective. Other than that Hawlucha is just a great Pokemon and very great in the current UU Tier, having a solid ranking in the S-Tier!

I don't necessarily know if it should move up to A+, but Roserade got quite a bit better with Zapdos and Latias leaving. They could easily KO Roserade and two of the best defoggers are gone so Roserade is able to set up spikes much easier now. Just something for consideration (And I guess this also kinda applies for Chesnaught as well?).

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can Porygon2 and Porygon-Z both please move up to at least B rank? 2 is extremely bulky, has nice power, and an excellent movepool. Sure, it's crippled by Knock Off, but that is not a reason to take an otherwise A rank pokemon (to me anyway) and demote it to C+. Seriously.
And Z is singing with joy at the loss of chansey. Download/Adaptability + Choice Specs hits SUPER hard; very few pokemon can wall it now. Again, it has a flaw in its speed and average typing, but that alone should not turn an otherwise B+ ish pokemon C.

Also, I see an Alomamola sprite was added to B-, but it wasn't labeled. Also, that reminds me. I definitely think Qwilfish deserves to be B ranked.

Starmie to S/A+ Starmie hits like a truck on the switch with analytic and his fully offensive sets have a grand total of 3 checks/counters from S to A and boasts the best coverage of anyone in the tier...
Did I mention it hits like a truck?

Starmie to S/A+ Starmie hits like a truck on the switch with analytic and his fully offensive sets have a grand total of 3 checks/counters from S to A and boasts the best coverage of anyone in the tier...
Did I mention it hits like a truck?
analytic on a whole isn't reliable since starmie is pretty much guaranteed not to get the boost if he stays in: also he isn't exactly the bulkiest of pokemon. i think he's definitely somewhere around A though simply because he's a pretty good offensive spinner.

Ok, here are some of my nominations

First, Starmie for A+ rank

Starmie is a really good Pokemon in UU that is completely deserving of A+. With it's great speed and beautiful coverage, Starmie functions as an amazing late-game cleaner once the opponents team is weakened. The same reasons also make Starmie a great revenge killer, as it can come in an threaten a lot of offensive Pokemon out with its STABs. Finally, access to Rapid Spin means Starmie can support its team quite easily by removing hazards. It faces competition from Mega Blatoise, sure, but not taking up a Mega slot and its higher speed definitely distinguish Starmie enough for it to be A+

Next, I'd like to see Shuckle down to C-/D rank

While Shuckle once had a niche as a Sticky Web user, it's now had its niche taken over by two new Pokemon in the tier, Galvantula and Smeargle. Both users are much better suited for offensive teams, as they are either able to actually dish out damage (Galvantula) or they are able to support their team with their immense movepool (Smeargle). Shuckle, on the other hand, can really only set up Sticky Web and Stealth Rock. After that, he may be able to get in a Toxic before dying, but that's usually about it. Not to mention that Shuckle is extreme set-up fotter for a lot of Pokemon, especially Substitute sweepers such as Hawlucha and Haxorus. All in all, Shuckle's niche is officially gone, and as such it needs to drop dramatically.

Finally, I think Liepard needs to be move to C-/D as well.

Liepard is another Pokemon who has had its role completely outclassed by a new Pokemon in the tier. With the introduction of Klefki, Liepard no longer remains the best user of SubSwagger. Klefki has a better defensive typing and better bulk, allowing her to more easily switch in, as well as live hits if the opponent is able to break through confusion. The only niche Liepard even has anymore is to be used in tandem with Klefki, which is a pretty niche and luck-based strategy. Once again, Liepard has fallen from its grace due to new additions to the tier, and as such needs to be moved far down as well.

Ok, here are some of my nominations
Next, I'd like to see Shuckle down to C-/D rank

While Shuckle once had a niche as a Sticky Web user, it's now had its niche taken over by two new Pokemon in the tier, Galvantula and Smeargle. Both users are much better suited for offensive teams, as they are either able to actually dish out damage (Galvantula) or they are able to support their team with their immense movepool (Smeargle). Shuckle, on the other hand, can really only set up Sticky Web and Stealth Rock. After that, he may be able to get in a Toxic before dying, but that's usually about it. Not to mention that Shuckle is extreme set-up fotter for a lot of Pokemon, especially Substitute sweepers such as Hawlucha and Haxorus. All in all, Shuckle's niche is officially gone, and as such it needs to drop dramatically.
You don't fuckle with Shuckle yo. Galv ain't that great from my experience as it really doesn't like losing a move to Sticky Web (And taking it out makes it kinda a worse Manectric) and Smeargle is better I will agree but it's still super frail and nowdays setting hazards with Smeragle isn't as simple as "Add ghost in teambuilder, Send him out first, Spore/Lay Hazards until he dies" because of Defog. Shuckle is the only Sticky Web setter capable of taking a hit and that is a pretty good Niche for it. Also, Shuckle learns Encore which with a bit of prediction stops any attempts to set up (It ignores sub) on you.

I can see him MAYBE going down to B, but C-/D is just absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)