XY UU Research Week #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by kokoloko.

Welcome, UUers and all those looking for an excellent comp. 'mons experience! A fresh tier means a fresh installment of Research Group!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Early period means the first three days of the research week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • Sign-Ups close Monday nights (about three and a half days of sign-ups), so be sure to sign up before they close!
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a research week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. Win five, and you get a nomination for a Community Contributor badge.

This Week's Research Pokemon:

Cloyster | Starmie | Smeargle | Toxicroak | Victini | Trevenant
How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!

The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Prizes are currently being discussed with higher powers, so hang tight while I find something worth your guys' attention. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hub Hall of Fame (once it exists).

Current Participants:

Last edited:
Pokemon chosen: Salamence and Victini
Alt Name: fkn fgt

I want to focus primarily on lure Victini as I think it's very potent this gen. I'll probably use the standard E-Belt special set but that's yet to be determined.

Last edited:

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Pokemon: Smeargle, Victini, and Trevenant

Alt Name: Hipster Kitten

Trick Rooming it up. Got some fun stuff to try out :)

The basic plan is to use Smeargle as a scumbag level 1 lead for trick room. It's a pretty nasty set - Focus Sash with Spore on the first turn, set up Trick Room T2, and the last slots are dedicated to Endeavor and Dragon Rage. Nasty stuff. Victini will either be min speed banded or min speed LO with trick room. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with trevenant yet, but he gets trick room too. Perhaps a physically offensive TR setter with Wood Hammer/Poison Jab/EQ. Not sure what I'd use for harvest, or just go with natural cure - we'll see.

Actually, holy shit, I have no idea how this would work, but maybe, just maybe....

Trevenant @ Liechi Berry
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
0 Speed IVs
Brave Nature
- Substitute
- Trick Room
- Curse
- Horn Leech

hmmmm

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alt: Meowthiekins
'Mons: Starmie and Victini (I'm not locked into having to use Victini if I don't like it right)

Pokemon: Salamence, Smeargle
Alt: Bongquistador

Playing some fairly standard hyper offense. Scarfmence to act as a sweeper and revenge killer. Smeargle to do as he does.

I've played with Victini a fair bit and this set is one of my favorite to use in this meta:

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Blue Flare
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- V-create

Special Victini has been under the radar, as most people abuse the raw power of banded V-Create or scarf their Tini. Having V-Create in the last slot helps it deal with Florges and Umbreon much more easily and the lost coverage doesn't really matter now that Latias is gone.
Some calcs here to show how powerful it is:
252 SpA Life Orb Victini Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 312-369 (79.1 - 93.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 253-298 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 347-409 (96.3 - 113.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Victini Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 302-356 (71.9 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

It misses out on some things, such as Gastrodon and Zygarde, so you might want to have a teammate to handle those.

Alt: Karyokinesis
Pokemon: Starmie, Salamence

Last edited:
Reporting day 1:

So far I have 20-3, which I think it's pretty fantastic record, one of the best I've achieved so far. I'll do a quick overview of the 3 pokes I entered:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
IV's: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
-Dark Void/Spore
-Sticky Web
-Stealth Rock
-Destiny Bond / Magic Coat / Parting Shot

Smeargle is one of the best leads in UU right now. It's versatility makes it quite unpredictable, it can be a hazard setter, a Baton Passer , or a Sash Endeavor with ESpeed. This is the Smeargle set I run which is Dark Void to put Grass types that try to switch into my Spores, Sticky Web to put my opponents in a really Sticky situation (pun intended) Stealth Rock for hazard support, and on the last slot there's a lot of things you can use. You can use Destiny Bond like I do to catch slower threats off-guard, Magic Coat to shutdown the likes of Forretress, or Parting Shit to save your Smeargle and restore momentum.

Starmie @ Life Orb / Leftovers / Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
IV's: 0 Atk
Timid Nature (Modest if you plan on using Sticky Web support)
-Scald/ Surf / Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt / Psyshock
-Rapid Spin

Starmie is the perfect partner to Smeargle while not onlt taking advantage of the Sticky Web that Smeargle sets up, it can also dish out pretty good amounts of damage and provide Rapid Spin for his team, which is what I like the most. Unlike Mega Blastoise, this thing doesn't take up the mega slot and it can run the most appreciated Life Orb. The set I run is Scald for STAB and for Burns, Ice Beam for great coverage , Thunderbolt for BoltBeam coverage which is pretty much unresisted but you can also run Psyshock if you want another STAB move , but Starmie suffers from 4MSS so I couldn't really fit it in, and Rapid Spin for obvious reasons.

Salamence @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
Naive / Naughty Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage / Dragon Claw
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake

Salamence is a freaking badass, sporting a whopping 135 Atk along with pretty solid 110 SpA makes it a very good wallbreaker. I run Moxie because it synergizes so well with Dragon Dance and with Salamence in general. It has decent bulk , which is good for a wallbreaker. As for this set I run Lum to overcome Status inducers (looking at you Sableye and Klefki) , Outrage to go with Lum Berry , Fire Blast for Forretress and Earthquake for the likes of Magnezone. This thing should raise to BL in my opinion , it's a bit broken in my opinion for UU standards.

I think this battle shows how powerful Salamence really can be:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-99238829

Kinda losing due to hax but Salamence came back with a sweep :3
Here's the set for all of you the might want to test it out:
Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Choice Scarf Salamence is easily one of the best Scarfers in UU at the moment. And paired with a Magnezone (that covers Salamence weaknes flawlessly) your team can punch holes through walls. I definetely think Salamence is way to good to be UU and should be banned again, just saying :]

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Pokemon: Smeargle, Victini, and Trevenant

Alt Name: Hipster Kitten

Trick Rooming it up. Got some fun stuff to try out :)

The basic plan is to use Smeargle as a scumbag level 1 lead for trick room. It's a pretty nasty set - Focus Sash with Spore on the first turn, set up Trick Room T2, and the last slots are dedicated to Endeavor and Dragon Rage. Nasty stuff. Victini will either be min speed banded or min speed LO with trick room. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with trevenant yet, but he gets trick room too. Perhaps a physically offensive TR setter with Wood Hammer/Poison Jab/EQ. Not sure what I'd use for harvest, or just go with natural cure - we'll see.

Actually, holy shit, I have no idea how this would work, but maybe, just maybe....

Trevenant @ Liechi Berry
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
0 Speed IVs
Brave Nature
- Substitute
- Trick Room
- Curse
- Horn Leech

hmmmm
UPDATE 1: So, the Trick Room Team has been kind of sucking. I've done thirty battles so far on Hipster Kitten, and I've only won 19 of them. It's not bad, but it's not great.

I've noticed that the level 1 smeargle set which worked so well last gen just isn't the same. First of all, spore is just so much more unreliable with the sleep changes, and given that everything has something on a team that just absorbs it right up. I could run dark void, but the accuracy is too shaky for me. Second of all, Dragon Rage isn't even a guaranteed KO, with fairies and all. I think I'm going to ditch Smeargle in favour of a reuniclus.

That said, the random trevenant set has actually been working out pretty well. Curse allows me to soften up some walls as well as suicide myself if need be - something that's super important on offensive TR teams. Also, the fact that Liechi gives +1 50% of the time and +2 50% of the time (and you can potentially get up to +6) is pretty cool. I'm debating getting rid of curse for something like EQ for better coverage, but I'm not going to yet.

For those of you interested, the other pokes on the team are Offensive Gardevoir with TR, dual stab, and healing wish / LO Exploud / Mega-Blastoise

So I got up to 1400 in 20 battles - going 18-2, which is pretty good for me because I'm absolutely terrible at this game.

Smeargle is pretty good mon that generally at least gets me stealth rocks up, unless I go absolutely mental with the magic coat on like, nidoking - which yes, can run rocks, but never does. Whenever the opponent lets me grab 3 layers of spikes and rocks I tend to roll through the game.

Scarfmence is really good. It's basically guaranteed to get florges to switch in which dies to iron tail after smeargle does a great job of setting up hazards. Once florges is gone I can usually just click outrage a few times and get a few kills.

These guys have been paired with a magnezone which I speed creep to get the jump on adamant crawdaunt just because it gets me a lot of kills when my opponent assumes I'm a moron. I also grabbed a LO Mienshao for its fake out and u-turn, mega-manectric so my team can pretend to have any bulk at all, and a crawdaunt with aerial ace because it's a monster.

I'm sort of ridiculously weak to dd mence but noone has run it yet so I'm going to go ahead and not change my team at all and hope this continues.

EDIT: Half of my team got banned. Probably not going to be finishing this one off cause I'm bad at team building.

Last edited:
Well, in light of the bans that took place I'm going to revise this week; later on today I'm going to add 3 new pokemon, remove Salamence, and extend this week so that it would run until next week Thursday instead of closing in two days. Once I've made these changes, you're free to start with a new alt or continue using the one you started with

Okay guys, I added five new Pokemon, and I'll update the OP tomorrow with who's joining in case people decide to drop out or if even more join.

Also, winning this week will count as winning two weeks.

Pokemon chosen: Victini & Thundurus-T
Alt Name: Nostalgia Ultra

The Volt-Turn core is REAL.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well I haven't really laddered or anything but I just wanted to point out that Smeargle + Froslass is honestly a really good hazard-stacking core on HO. Lass can (in one way or another) deal with almost all opposing leads that give Smeargle trouble: spinners, Taunters, Xatu, the occasional Fake Out Mienshao, etc etc. Plus it can stop Defog with a fast Taunt and prevent opposing hazards from being set up so Smeargle's Sash can stay intact, and get Smeargle in safely if it's gotten off a Destiny Bond or been revenge killed. From there, the duo can generally get up Spikes, Sticky Web, and SR, get a free switch into teammates after they die, and let them do the rest with hazard support.

As for the set itself I generally used

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Dark Void / Spore
- Explosion / Magic Coat

I preferred Boom in the last slot to avoid Defog + Rapid Spin and avoid becoming setup bait, plus max Attack STAB Explosion is actually somewhat powerful and can do a decent chunk to stuff that doesn't resist. It also can break potential Sashes and most Substitutes, and gives you a way to bring in a teammates safely if you've already set up Web + SR and the opponent refuses to kill you. Other than that Magic Coat is another option since it can screw around with Taunters and sleepers like opposing Smeargle and Roserade, though I found Boom a bit more useful overall.

So i peaked to #1 with Smash passing. Yeah that set is stupid!! Even if you see it coming, it is beyond difficult to play around with. Ive so far have used Smeargle+Toxicroak/Smeargle+Starmie/Smeragle+ Thundurus T. Out of all of them, Thundurus T showed the best results. Toxicroak's damage wasnt there. Starmie is weak to sucker punch, also being walled by Florges at +2 is no fun. Thundrus T breaks through things just at +2 and doesnt care about Florges because of sludgebomb. Nidoking, M-Blastoise, and M-Ampharos(though not part of the research week) have been the best to BP to. The bulk on M-blastoise makes it hard to kill even if you survive the first hit. M-Ampharos is slow, so sadly timid nature is necessary but the bulk is better than blastoise and the typing makes it even harder to kill. With coverage just from thunderbolt its able to OHKO nearly everything except Florges. Also Mold breaker is a huge deal because sturdy users are becoming popular. Namely Donphan + Forretress.

Anyways here are some footage. I could save nearly every match I play because it is that easy to get a sweep going.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-uu-100013677

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-100017285

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-uu-100020385

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-uu-100034115

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)